Photo

Worst race to end on?

• Please log in to reply
111 replies to this topic

#1 rm111

rm111

• 406 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 21:07

Is Abu Dhabi the worst possible track to end the season on?
Its been a great year with some fantastic racing through the field, its just such a shame the final and championship deciding race was at this uninspiring processional hotel carpark. We've got borerain to look forward to after the coming long winter of hype and anticipation, yes i know we are always going to have these processional racetracks on the calender, but surely common sense tells Bernie not to bookend the seasons with these awful tracks.

Advertisement

#2 noikeee

noikeee

• 23,223 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 21:12

http://en.wikipedia....egas_Grand_Prix

http://en.wikipedia....lace_Grand_Prix

#3 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

• 8,012 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 21:12

I'll see your Abu Dhabi and raise you a Valencia.

#4 MadYarpen

MadYarpen

• 4,763 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 21:14

Actually I enjoyed the race. Or not enjoyed, cause I wanted alonso to be WDC, but all in all i was emotional, and not bored at all. Of course there wasn't much overtaking, wait there were only three moves? or four? Yeah, this track sucks badly (runoffs are some kind of joke...), but the race was OK for me, the worst thing that could have happened is title decided before this race.

When you add last year race I have to agree with you, only maybe not the worst cause barcelona and valencia would be equally bad I think.

#5 midgrid

midgrid
  • RC Forum Host

• 10,171 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 21:15

I think a twilight race is a fitting end to the championship. The track design itself is another matter...

#6 EthanM

EthanM

• 4,819 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 21:16

Barcelona, Hungary, Valencia etc would have been much worse. At least Abu Dhabi has full spectator stands.

#7 plastik2k9

plastik2k9

• 509 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 21:18

Yeah it's a bad place for racing. Today was interesting because of a single safety car which messed up strategies, and because we had a surprise WDC, but apart from that the racing was terrible. It's a shame the track sucks because aesthetically the place is great; very clean, very modern, full grandstands and pretty stunning at night. There must be something they can do to fix it.

That said it's not as bad as Valencia, which not only provides literally no overtaking, but is basically just 2 hours of watching cars drive between dull concrete and fencing. Definitely the worst track I've ever seen by a significant margin. If the calendar ended with Valencia, I'd cry.

Edited by plastik2k9, 14 November 2010 - 21:19.

#8 domhnall

domhnall

• 1,668 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 21:21

The race was utter shite today. Hamilton not being able to pass Kubica was really disappointing. The whole race was set up nicely with Alonso needing to pass guys to take the title and the track let us down big time. I desperately hope they make changes to the layout. If they don't I reckon i'll this race a miss next year.

#9 KateLM

KateLM

• 2,342 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 21:23

That would be the absolute worst out of the currents tracks. And to be honest, Catalunya and the Hunagaroring wouldn't be far off.

But I don't like Abu Dhabi as the final round championship decider. Two massive straights and they still can't overtake there. Even though today threw up a big surprise, I don't think the racing itself was very good. Even Singapore was better.

Thank goodness Interlagos has the final round back next year. Hopefully they don't do a last minute swap with Abu Dhabi again!

#10 rm111

rm111

• 406 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 21:24

I fold :D I just think F1 should end the season on the back of a great race at a great track like Interlagos, not some snorefest.

#11 GPmaster

GPmaster

• 455 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 21:24

Tilke FTW! :blush:

Why does FIA love Tilke so much?

Edited by GPmaster, 14 November 2010 - 21:25.

#12 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

• 8,012 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 21:26

Why does FIA love Tilke so much?

Because unlike other circuit designers, he's not an architect - he's a civil engineer, and he offers a whole range of services. Everything from architecture to civil engineering to construction management. Tilke is able to take control of a project from the moment it is put in motion to the moment it is handed over to the new owners. None of the other circuit design firms offer the same range of services.

#13 George Costanza

George Costanza

• 4,557 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 21:27

I think (I know a dream) the final race should end at Le Mans.

Edited by George Costanza, 14 November 2010 - 21:27.

#14 Dunder

Dunder

• 6,784 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 21:30

The facilities at Abu Dhabi are amazing.
The track is very close to being great (albeit pancake flat) but for reasons that escape me, overtaking is very very difficult.

It is far from being the worst track on the calendar and I could see the racing improving with only small changes to the cars. This is unlike Valencia, Barcelona, Hungaroring and Monaco where overtaking and close following are nigh on impossible.

#15 P123

P123

• 23,968 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 21:33

Is Abu Dhabi the worst possible track to end the season on?
Its been a great year with some fantastic racing through the field, its just such a shame the final and championship deciding race was at this uninspiring processional hotel carpark. We've got borerain to look forward to after the coming long winter of hype and anticipation, yes i know we are always going to have these processional racetracks on the calender, but surely common sense tells Bernie not to bookend the seasons with these awful tracks.

They pay top dollar. But at least Interlagos is back as the final race next season.

#16 rm111

rm111

• 406 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 21:34

They pay top dollar. But at least Interlagos is back as the final race next season.

Until Abu Dhabi buy the slot off them :mad:

#17 Ducks McTeeth

Ducks McTeeth

• 85 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 21:37

Crap track in a silly country.

Edited by Ducks McTeeth, 14 November 2010 - 21:38.

#18 Donka

Donka

• 853 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 21:40

Ahh Come On... those helicopter shots of Alonso following Petrov around the track were priceless, hell the most we've seen all year :p

Edited by Donka, 14 November 2010 - 21:43.

#19 August

August

• 3,277 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 21:40

As season opener Yas Marina would be good. They have amazing and great-looking facilities. In some ways, opener is even bigger event than season finale, especially if titles have already been decided before the finale.

Anyway, season finale has to be in a country where people appreciate F1.

Advertisement

#20 Donka

Donka

• 853 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 21:42

Not so fast. Rumor is 'oll Bern may have bilked them for some more millions to host the end in 2011 again.

#21 Les

Les

• 2,116 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 21:44

The worst thing is that chicane where Schumacher had his accident today. Its just so pointless and I don't know why they don't bypass it and go straight to the hairpin. If there's no run-off then move the hairpin away from the grandstand.

The 'reverse Eau Rouge' is a complete let-down too. Its the reverse of Eau Rouge in that its **** and boring.

#22 FastMex

FastMex

• 251 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 21:44

Abu Dhabi is an ass boring track.

No wonder they put Brazil as the last last race in 2011.

#23 rm111

rm111

• 406 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 21:49

The 'reverse Eau Rouge' is a complete let-down too. Its the reverse of Eau Rouge in that its **** and boring.

:rotfl:

#24 Disgrace

Disgrace

• 31,464 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 21:49

:lol: :up:

Brazil the 2011 finale. :up:

#25 goat0063

goat0063

• 279 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 21:54

:rotfl:

#26 Fastcake

Fastcake

• 12,554 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 21:57

I think a twilight race is a fitting end to the championship. The track design itself is another matter...

I agree with you there, having the championship end in the twilight is very nicely done.

#27 kevcampbell

kevcampbell

• 10 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 21:58

i think abu dhabi should be one of the last races, but not the last, the last should be brazil

#28 Dan333SP

Dan333SP

• 4,713 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 22:10

Barcelona, Hungary, Valencia etc would have been much worse. At least Abu Dhabi has full spectator stands.

I saw plenty of empty seats...

It is an awful track to end the season. IMO, it should be Monza or Spa, but if we have to leave Europe for the final round, it should be Brazil.

#29 dnbn

dnbn

• 2,033 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 22:12

Another reason is not to have championship decider with such a pathetic "champagne" spraying.

#30 MadYarpen

MadYarpen

• 4,763 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 22:14

The race was utter shite today. Hamilton not being able to pass Kubica was really disappointing.

To be honest I think it would be very hard to overtake renault even at spa, their fduct seems to be really great - you could actually see distance between alonso and petrov getting bigger through straights, not smaller. looked a little like KERS onboard!

Edited by MadYarpen, 14 November 2010 - 22:14.

#31 Alfisti

Alfisti

• 39,802 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 22:15

It's absolutely farciacal that for all the BILLIONS of dollars floating around this sport, 4 of the most recent tracks (yabbi dabbi/singapore/valencia/bahrain) are absolutely HORRIFIC race tracks. Corner after pointless corner of featureless, tarmac laden bullshit that fails to generate any attempts at over taking let alone passing.

If these horror shows must be on the calendar at the very least ....

a) shorten the ****ing laps and get rid of some of the seemingly endless twisty bits

b) start in Melbourne and end in Brazil FFS.

AT least then we'd start in finish in countries with atmosphere and real fans and some racing history ..... not to mention tracks that generate interesting races.

#32 BigWicks

BigWicks

• 750 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 22:28

nothing wrong with the tracks, its the cars

#33 rm111

rm111

• 406 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 22:28

It's absolutely farciacal that for all the BILLIONS of dollars floating around this sport, 4 of the most recent tracks (yabbi dabbi/singapore/valencia/bahrain) are absolutely HORRIFIC race tracks. Corner after pointless corner of featureless, tarmac laden bullshit that fails to generate any attempts at over taking let alone passing.

If these horror shows must be on the calendar at the very least ....

a) shorten the ****ing laps and get rid of some of the seemingly endless twisty bits

b) start in Melbourne and end in Brazil FFS.

AT least then we'd start in finish in countries with atmosphere and real fans and some racing history ..... not to mention tracks that generate interesting races.

Amen

#34 tyrrellp346wheels

tyrrellp346wheels

• 582 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 22:30

Brazil for final :up:

Edited by tyrrellp346wheels, 14 November 2010 - 22:31.

#35 CaptainJackSparrow

CaptainJackSparrow

• 2,368 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 22:30

I like Abu Dhabi, it's a cool looking track. It's got a sense of spectacle about it which fits the occasion.

#36 noikeee

noikeee

• 23,223 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 22:31

Yep. But then the track's design is made to facilitate overtaking on purpose, to the detriment of quick challenging corners. And then it doesn't work. It's ridiculous, you end up with no fun and no passing.

#37 Rob

Rob

• 9,223 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 22:46

An utterly soulless circuit.

#38 mtknot

mtknot

• 1,206 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 22:47

The race could have potentially been exciting but it didn't happen for several reasons.

1. Kobayashi actually had a normal mid-field strategy for once - in effect he was bound not to be able to banzai
2. The Renault and their dirty diffuser - having the largest double deck diffuser does make it hard to pass...
3. Drivers are too good; nobody really buckled under pressure
4. Track didn't punish - something I didn't believe before, but the track just doesn't punish drivers for running wide; there is no loss in pace.

The track is too 'ideal' at the moment. Hopefully next year's regulations makes passing too easy.

Edited by mtknot, 14 November 2010 - 22:48.

#39 Madras

Madras

• 3,911 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 22:48

It does lack anything interesting. Once you get used to the architecture of the hotels you realise the track is as bland as they come.

Advertisement

#40 wingwalker

wingwalker

• 7,238 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 22:49

I'd remove the the chicane before the hairpin (so cars take they short cut they used during the SC phase) and shorten the second half of the lap keeping the last few turns (not sure if it's possible) and it could be half decent for a new track.

#41 Rob

Rob

• 9,223 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 22:50

Please Mr Tilke, use larger radii for your corners.

#42 DILLIGAF

DILLIGAF

• 4,459 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 22:55

The race was utter shite today. Hamilton not being able to pass Kubica was really disappointing. The whole race was set up nicely with Alonso needing to pass guys to take the title and the track let us down big time. I desperately hope they make changes to the layout. If they don't I reckon i'll this race a miss next year.

+1

Not the right track to host a title decider. A procession with almost zero chances to overtake = a boring fizzer of a race.

Tilke tracks will continue to suck without further changes to the cars.

#43 black magic

black magic

• 4,477 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 23:21

not all tilke tracks suck but this one certainly does with zero personality

#44 pingu666

pingu666

• 9,272 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 23:52

i like about half of bahrain
valencia is slightly better than barcalona
valencia sucks partly as it all looks the same, must be really hard to not get the corners mixed up when driving

#45 chrisblades85

chrisblades85

• 2,606 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 23:58

The track is boring. But they go under a hotel which, of course, makes it an awesome race track :lol:

I actually like Singapore. Don't know why. And I like the day/night, full night races. Not sure why.

#46 Ducks McTeeth

Ducks McTeeth

• 85 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 02:17

The urban circuit in Las Vegas USA would be better for racing, and the architecture would be in better taste too :p

#47 ViMaMo

ViMaMo

• 6,513 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 02:20

Bad race?
Yes, the track has ppl screatching their heads again as to why with one of the longest straights and slow corners; F1 cars cant seem to pass.

#48 Andrew Hope

Andrew Hope

• 7,911 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 02:28

As was pointed out, the last four tracks to be added to the calendar have been **** (except for Korea, which I liked).

Every time I see a tarmac runoff added to a race track a little part of me dies, and pointless chicanes break my heart.

#49 Ben Wilson

Ben Wilson

• 138 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 02:33

Bad race?
Yes, the track has ppl screatching their heads again as to why with one of the longest straights and slow corners; F1 cars cant seem to pass.

Not really, the problem is a lack of fast corners. It's got long straights and tight corners*, nowhere where a F1 car can use that awesome aero which makes them great.

Look at the laptimes; the top 15 cars were all very close for times. Making a track which equalizes the cars might seem light a great idea for racing, but it makes for processions.

* 2, 3 & 4 could have potential, but there is a 90 degree corner the beginning and a chicane into a hairpin at the end...

#50 George Costanza

George Costanza

• 4,557 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 02:35

This.

Bring back the regulations of 1990 (Way less Aerodynamic Grip)

Edited by George Costanza, 15 November 2010 - 02:35.