Photo

Car ID and history help?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Nordic

Nordic

• 278 posts

Posted 19 December 2010 - 08:43

This image and text has been posted on another forum and it seems like the sort of question the members here would be most able to help with

http://img259.images...nkelman849.jpg/

A few weeks back, Joe Breeze went to accept an award to honor his father from the SCCA and he was accompanied by Bob Winkelmann. Bob's in his 80's now, living in Muir Beach. In the 60's-70's he had his own line of Formula Fords he sold out of his Sausalito shop. The cars were called Palliser's in England, I guess through some kind of partnership. Anyway, Bob worked for Joe"s Dad BITD and he sent this picture to Joe the next week without identifying the car. The Mechanic standing on the left is Bob Winkelmann and the guy standing on the right was Joe's Dad. They are in his Dad's shop in Sausalito in the mid 50's standing next to what we think is a Cooper.

The interest is from Joe breeze who was a pioneer mountain bike builder and would like to know if the car is still around and just what it is.
Posted Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Thanks

Edited by Nordic, 19 December 2010 - 08:46.

Advertisement

#2 Ted Walker

Ted Walker

• 1,432 posts

Posted 19 December 2010 - 08:47

I would say it was a Cooper Bristol

#3 Ted Walker

Ted Walker

• 1,432 posts

Posted 19 December 2010 - 08:51

Roy Winkelmann did have a Cooper Bristol sports car(any relation)

#4 Nordic

Nordic

• 278 posts

Posted 19 December 2010 - 09:13

Thank you for the reply,

I will ask but dont think Roy Winkleman was any releation, his name has not come up, I will ask to be sure.

Any idea who Mr Windward is, his name has cropped up as a possble owner along with Lance Reventlow.

#5 RJE

RJE

• 122 posts

Posted 19 December 2010 - 09:20

It looks like a Manx Tail Cooper to me with a Climax engine. There would seem to be only four exhaust pipes ruling out a Bristol and the inlet manifold looks suspiciously like a Climax unit with the SU carburettor removed. It is also obviously rear engined and I believe only Brabham and Bob Gerard had Bristol set ups in rear engine Coopers. Although I will stand corrected.

#6 Nordic

Nordic

• 278 posts

Posted 20 December 2010 - 17:53

The suggestion is that this could be a T39, maybe supplied new to a Mr Banta then passed onto Merle Brennan and his race team that run out of Reno.

Banta is one of the chaps in the photo but the car was to being driven by Merle Brennan when we think the photo was taken in 1957.

Any ideas on what became of the car?