Photo

Plans for a revived South African Grand Prix from 2013 (merged)

• Please log in to reply
78 replies to this topic

#51 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

• 8,012 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 23:17

There's a pretty easy way to get around the problem posed by the entrance to the stadium: build a tunnel. Two of them.

Advertisement

#52 johnmhinds

johnmhinds

• 7,292 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 23:23

There's a pretty easy way to get around the problem posed by the entrance to the stadium: build a tunnel. Two of them.

Derp. There are 2 tunnels already, they just aren't anywhere big enough to run an F1 race through.

The layout of the track, and its rather bland location is a no go anyway.

#53 Andrew Hope

Andrew Hope

• 7,911 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 23:24

If it was a crazy, dangerous idea to have F1 cars fly through a tunnel and through the stadium at full speed I would be all for it. If, as it seems, it's a crazy, lame idea to have the cars piss around at 2 miles an hour every lap, then I will throw my computer out my window in anger if it does happen. Off the top of my head, I can't imagine a scenario where I would be okay with reducing the natural excitement of a track for the benefit of spectators to see the cars for a little longer.

#54 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

• 8,012 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 00:47

Derp. There are 2 tunnels already, they just aren't anywhere big enough to run an F1 race through.

Then either a) build new ones, or b) expand them.

The layout of the track, and its rather bland location is a no go anyway.

You say that like it's official. What's your source? Or are you just passing off opinion as fact?

#55 johnmhinds

johnmhinds

• 7,292 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 01:17

Then either a) build new ones, or b) expand them.

What the heck do you think we have we been discussing in the last dozen or so posts...

You say that like it's official. What's your source? Or are you just passing off opinion as fact?

Why are you being so agressive.
Of course it's my opinion, that's the whole point of internet forums......

Anyone with half a brain with looked at the area and the planned route would say it was unsuitable for a high speed racetrack.

You could hold a WRC special stage there maybe, but an F1 race??? They can't be serious...

#56 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

• 8,012 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 01:29

A Formula 1 race would be possible. It just needs some modifications. Like less twisty bits. This is the planned route:

Posted Image

This is a variation on that route that follows the same basic layout, but without the twisty bits:

Posted Image

A few modifications to the roads around Green Point, and it should be just fine.

#57 johnmhinds

johnmhinds

• 7,292 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 01:58

You can't just punch big holes in the stadium to run the track the way you want.

The whole reason they've routed it through the tiny tunnels and twisty access roads is because they don't want to spend tens of millions redeveloping the stadium itself.

#58 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

• 8,012 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 04:23

You can't just punch big holes in the stadium to run the track the way you want.

So run it through the narrow tunnels. Make it an added challenge for the drivers. If they don't want to spend tens of millions of dollars, they shhouldn't be applying for a race in the first place. Ideally, the circuit would run around the outside of the stadium, using it as one long constant-radius corner. It creates a better circuit and saves on the expense.

#59 BigCHrome

BigCHrome

• 4,049 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 04:44

It would be much simpler to go around the stadium.

Advertisement

#60 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

• 8,012 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 06:23

Like this, then. Although I reckon this would be pretty good, too.

#61 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 46,309 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 08:14

... run around the outside of the stadium, using it as one long constant-radius corner. It creates a better circuit and saves on the expense.

Like the old Vancouver layout :up:

#62 Bleu

Bleu

• 6,241 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 10:32

Champcars raced few times in Mexico City going through baseball stadium. But it was much easier to do than this plan.

#63 highdownforce

highdownforce

• 4,991 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 13:21

Like this, then. Although I reckon this would be pretty good, too.

Both posted proposals are impracticable, those are impossible ways to run around the stadium.

Look again:
Posted Image

Edit: In red the areas that would require further developments:
Posted Image

Edited by highdownforce, 22 February 2011 - 13:34.

#64 johnmhinds

johnmhinds

• 7,292 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 14:24

Yeah besides being impossible to run around the the outside of stadium, it isn't really using the stadiums seating to its advantage.

The whole point of the project it to find a new use for the stadium itself.
It just seems the design of the stadium makes this impractical, and this botched twisty proposal they've come up with really is the best they can do.

#65 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,745 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 14:27

Maybe Spurs would like to play there...

#66 Felix

Felix

• 818 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 14:32

Yeah besides being impossible to run around the the outside of stadium, it isn't really using the stadiums seating to its advantage.

It just seems the design of the stadium makes this impractical, and this botched twisty proposal they've come up with really is the best they can do.

Strange that this concept - which not even the local council knew about - was first aired when Melbourne, which fears CT as a competitive tourist/sport destination, started jibbing about paying Bernie's fees. Then Melbourne went quiet until last week after Walker poured oil on the waters; so did this project. Then the local MP in Albert Park gets uppity, so this is news again. CT is getting wanked, and sadly does not even realise it.

#67 DrF

DrF

• 2,581 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 18:51

Hahaha, and good luck with getting it to work in the cape. You know why it's called the mother city? Because everything takes 9 months to happen. Nice mountains though.

Can you imagine a GP in Slaapstad? They would have sort of, you know like thought about starting thinking about a place to have the race about 9 months after the race was scheduled to be run.

Not to mention racing when the South Easter is raging, those cars would be blown off the road.

Have it in JHB, Durban, Kraaifontein, PE, ANYWHERE but slaapstad.

Edited by DrF, 22 February 2011 - 19:02.

#68 Gyan

Gyan

• 1,234 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 20:35

I'd have loved a race to happen in Durban, so that the cars would race under This arch.

#69 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

• 8,012 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 05:46

Okay, assuming for the moment that there are no constraints, no limitations and nothing is considered impractical - basically, carte blanche - then this is what I think would be the ultimate circuit. Not just for Green Point, but pretty much forever:

Posted Image

Yes, there are problems. Some areas would need serious redevelopment, there's the stadium thing, and it weighs in at 9.5km. But like I said, we're assuming that these are not going to be problems, and that this is perfectly feasible. If we could build this from scratch on a completely empty piece of land - like they're doing with Austin - and maybe scale it down to be the same length as Spa, then I think it would be absolutely perfect. So forget that it's supposed to be anywhere, and look at it like this (please forgive the crude MS Paint job - it's all I have; I'd draw it in Google SketchUp, but I'm a horrible artist):

Posted Image

I have come up with dozens of circuits in the past, but I think this is the best I've ever made. I reckon it would be very fast, absolute hell on tyres, and with plenty of overtaking opportunities that don't seem forced (though I'm afraid that might be lost if it were scaled down).

#70 BigCHrome

BigCHrome

• 4,049 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 08:19

If they WANT to run through the stadium I hope its only 1 chicane. It would allow the spectators to see the cars braking and accelerating as well. Those Indy-esque hairpins are just terrible.

#71 Frans

Frans

• 8,753 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 20:00

maybe someone should try this and drive the damn track virtually....

#72 Villes Gilleneuve

Villes Gilleneuve

• 2,248 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 20:22

Reminds me of Monaco. Maybe if enough douchebags park yachts in the harbor, it will be a go.

#73 Villes Gilleneuve

Villes Gilleneuve

• 2,248 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 20:23

that is actually cool.

#74 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

• 8,012 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 22:21

Hometown GP is pretty cool, but you can only use existing roads. You can't make custom sections (unless it's a straight line to make the circuit complete). It also randomly generates elevations, so it's not truly representative of the area you build a circuit on. And it keeps making my laptop overheat and shut down.

#75 Gilles4Ever

Gilles4Ever
  • RC Forum Admin

• 24,873 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 18:46

South Africa could return to the Formula 1 calendar "within two years" as Bernie Ecclestone hints that a Cape Town GP is "weeks away" from getting the green light... at least from him.

http://www.wheels24....-speed-20110705

#76 highdownforce

highdownforce

• 4,991 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 19:08

Wheels24 has driven the proposed layout and says that it was nearly impratical, and made the proposal below:

Posted Image
Track layout would be altered in order to not going inside the stadium anymore and the Bay Road part scraped.

There is also a video about it: http://www.youtube.c...player_embedded

#77 ZuTiMa

ZuTiMa

• 431 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 11:06

I dont know if this link has been posted before but it gives you a good idea of what the track could be like..

Cape Town GP

#78 highdownforce

highdownforce

• 4,991 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 14:15

It's the one I've posted above.

#79 MonzaF1

MonzaF1

• 487 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 15:16

For current international diplomatic and political reasons I am against it.

Kyalami is dead and buried and so is the once great South African Grand Prix.