• Please log in to reply
109 replies to this topic

#1 kosmos

kosmos

• 11,900 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 14:18

His opinion on other drivers:

Así ve el español a sus principales rivales

Vettel: Muy rápido. Muy rápido y preciso. Si sale primero en carrera es difícil pararle.

Webber: Experiencia, tranquilidad y mucha regularidad. Es muy difícil verle fallar.

Button: Tiene mucho instinto para carreras difíciles en lluvia o con safety en seco. Así suele sacar partido.

Schumacher: Es el campeón, al que todos respetamos y un piloto capaz de sorprender.

Massa. Muy rápido, conoce el equipo, pasó por Sauber, pero era de Ferrari y con mucha hambre de ganar.

Hamilton: Es un gran piloto y de los más rápidos de la actual parrilla de la Fórmula 1.

Click!

Babelfished.

Thus it sees the Spanish its main rivals
Vettel: Very fast. Very fast and precise. If it leaves first in race it is difficult to stop to him.
Webber: Experience, tranquillity and much regularity. It is very difficult to see him fail.
Button: It has much instinct for difficult races in rain or with safety in dry. Thus usually it removes party.
Schumacher: He is the champion, to whom all we respected and a pilot able to surprise.
Massa. Very fast, it knows the equipment, it happened through Sauber, but era of Ferrari and with much hunger to win.
Hamilton: He is a great pilot and of fastest of the present grill of Formula 1.

Very smart answers but I don't get why they keep asking about McLaren and the crashgate.

Advertisement

#2 Lokt

Lokt

• 470 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 14:19

His opinion on other drivers:

Babelfished.

Very smart answers but I don't get why they keep asking about McLaren and the crashgate.

So does Alonso rate Hamilton as the fastest driver on the grid?

#3 PoleMan

PoleMan

• 1,563 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 14:20

Just typical Alonso, honest and authentic.

:up:

Yep! I think that is what Alonso fans admire most about him on the Human level. That, plus he's a bloody genius behind the wheel! :cool:

I can understand why people are rabid in support of their favorite drivers, but why that has to translate into such vitriol towards rival top pilots has always puzzled me. That, of course, includes some Alonso supporters. :(

If the other great drivers (Hamilton, Vettel, Schumacher, etc.)were as useless as some theorize, it certainly would make beating them a whole lot less meaningful, wouldn't it.

Here's to a super, competitive 2011 season! Gonna be pretty hard to top the excitement of last year, though.

#4 AlanWake

AlanWake

• 1,610 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 14:28

So does Alonso rate Hamilton as the fastest driver on the grid?

Alonso says that Hamilton is one of the fastest drivers on the grid, not the fastest...

#5 Lokt

Lokt

• 470 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 14:39

Alonso says that Hamilton is one of the fastest drivers on the grid, not the fastest...

The google translate was pretty unclear  ;)

#6 RSNS

RSNS

• 1,521 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 21:39

The google translate was pretty unclear ;)

I'm not Spanish, but I think this means:
Así ve el español a sus principales rivales

Vettel: Muy rápido. Muy rápido y preciso. Si sale primero en carrera es difícil pararle.
Very fast and precise. If he gets away in the first place he is very difficult to beat

Webber: Experiencia, tranquilidad y mucha regularidad. Es muy difícil verle fallar.
Experienced, cool and very regular. He very seldom makes mistakes

Button: Tiene mucho instinto para carreras difíciles en lluvia o con safety en seco. Así suele sacar partido.
Has a very good intelligence in difficult races: either in the rain or with safety car conditions he can make his own opportunity

Schumacher: Es el campeón, al que todos respetamos y un piloto capaz de sorprender.
He's the champion and we all recpect him. He may surprise (in the sense that he can make difficult things happen?)

Massa. Muy rápido, conoce el equipo, pasó por Sauber, pero era de Ferrari y con mucha hambre de ganar.
Very fast, he knows the team. He was in Sauber, but know he is at Ferrari and is hungry for victories

Hamilton: Es un gran piloto y de los más rápidos de la actual parrilla de la Fórmula 1.
He's a great driver, and one of the fastest in present day F1.

If I made a mistake someone please correct me.

#7 camelio

camelio

• 49 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 10:22

I think this article can put this thread to bed quite easily...Alonso himself claims hamilton is the fastest amongst praise for other drivers...Unless you are still deluded enough to argue Alonsos own words then you are beyond help i'm afraid...There you have it from the horses mouth...God speed

http://www.motorspor...e.asp?ID=400259

#8 trogggy

trogggy

• 9,216 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 10:33

I think this article can put this thread to bed quite easily...Alonso himself claims hamilton is the fastest amongst praise for other drivers...Unless you are still deluded enough to argue Alonsos own words then you are beyond help i'm afraid...There you have it from the horses mouth...God speed

No he doesn't.

#9 tifosiMac

tifosiMac

• 7,360 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 10:36

There might be an element of a poor translation regarding that article from what I have read. Alonso did say last season that he didn't think he himself was the fastest in F1 however, so who knows? :)

Edited by tifosiMac, 15 February 2011 - 10:37.

#10 Bonaventura

Bonaventura

• 7,698 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 10:37

No he doesn't.

"He is a great driver and maybe the fastest at the moment in Formula One," he said.

#11 maverick69

maverick69

• 5,975 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 10:41

"He is a great driver and maybe the fastest at the moment in Formula One"

Praise indeed.

I bet Carlos Miguel is spitting feathers :rotfl: :wave:

Edited by maverick69, 15 February 2011 - 10:41.

#12 camelio

camelio

• 49 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 10:44

"He is a great driver and maybe the fastest at the moment in Formula One," he said.

LOL at you highlighting maybe...Let's face it, nobody begged him to say it, so whether he said maybe or definately, it still shows that he thinks Hamilton is most likely the fastest based on his own assessment...He obviously can't say he is definately fastest because there is always that unknown...But him just coming out with it shows that if he was to pick a fastest driver, it would be Hamilton...Afterall he didn't say MAYBE Vettel or maybe Hamilton or maybe Kubica...he said maybe Hamilton, is fastest on his own assessment

Edited by camelio, 15 February 2011 - 10:48.

#13 tifosiMac

tifosiMac

• 7,360 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 10:47

Its a nice comment from Alonso nonetheless and we shouldn't over analyse it to put either driver down in a petty handbag slinging contest.

Cheers Fernando, may the battle be close and fair.. :)

#14 trogggy

trogggy

• 9,216 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 10:54

LOL at you highlighting maybe...Let's face it, nobody begged him to say it, so whether he said maybe or definately, it still shows that he thinks Hamilton is most likely the fastest based on his own assessment...He obviously can't say he is definately fastest because there is always that unknown...But him just coming out with it shows that if he was to pick a fastest driver, it would be Hamilton...Afterall he didn't say MAYBE Vettel or maybe Hamilton or maybe Kubica...he said maybe Hamilton, is fastest on his own assessment

They always speak highly of each others' abilities.
I could offer a cynical reason as to why, but let's just say it's because they're both obviously very very good.

I'm genuinely laughing at you pulling Bonaventura apart for not appreciating Hamilton enough. :up:

#15 camelio

camelio

• 49 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 10:55

Its a nice comment from Alonso nonetheless and we shouldn't over analyse it to put either driver down in a petty handbag slinging contest.

Cheers Fernando, may the battle be close and fair.. :)

Exactly that is not the point...point out one driver admiting another is faster is not a handbag slinging contest. It's the fanboys that endlessly use teamorders in 2007 as an excuse for Alonsos perfomance that makes the handbafs sling. Unwillingness to just accept someone faster came along

#16 AlanWake

AlanWake

• 1,610 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 10:59

Well, I read the original interview and Fernando really didn't say it:

Es un gran piloto y de los más rápidos de la actual parrilla de la Fórmula 1

and the translation in English is:

He is a great driver and one of the fastest drivers on the grid in F1 at the moment

It sounds different to me :)

#17 Bonaventura

Bonaventura

• 7,698 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 11:00

LOL at you highlighting maybe...Let's face it, nobody begged him to say it, so whether he said maybe or definately, it still shows that he thinks Hamilton is most likely the fastest based on his assessment...He obviously can't say he is definately fast because there is always that unknown,...But him just coming out with it shows what he thinks of who the fastest is...You can ponder on that maybe all you want :wave:

I answered to troggy who made a hint at another poster that is was not 100% correct that Fernando said, Lewis is the fastest.
For me there is no maybe :)

#18 maverick69

maverick69

• 5,975 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 11:08

I'm getting a translation of:

"He is a great driver and the fastest of the current Formula 1 grid"

No ifs, buts or maybes

Edited by maverick69, 15 February 2011 - 11:08.

#19 showtime

showtime

• 3,032 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 11:14

The original source is a Spanish interview and he said Lewis is "one of the fastest". Not that I care he had said one thing or the other but just to avoid future false quotes.

Advertisement

#20 camelio

camelio

• 49 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 11:18

Actually in original translation it means "Is the fastest"...No buts or maybes...Nice try tho :rotfl: ...Didn't think there will be more spanish speaking people on here did ya

#21 camelio

camelio

• 49 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 11:22

The original source is a Spanish interview and he said Lewis is "one of the fastest". Not that I care he had said one thing or the other but just to avoid future false quotes.

Again, from the original "Es un gran piloto y de los más rápidos de la actual parrilla de la Fórmula 1" precisely means "IS a great driver and fastest of current F1 grid"...Guys if you don't understand spanish translate that comment, it come up with the same thing....No ifs, buts or maybes...

#22 showtime

showtime

• 3,032 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 11:25

Again, from the original "Es un gran piloto y de los más rápidos de la actual parrilla de la Fórmula 1" precisely means "IS a great driver and fastest of current F1 grid"...Guys if you don't understand spanish translate that comment, it come up with the same thing....No ifs, buts or maybes...

FFS I'm Spanish! "Es un gran piloto y de los más rápidos de la actual parrilla de la Fórmula 1" means "He's a great driver and one of the fastest from the current F1 grid"

#23 Fontainebleau

Fontainebleau
  • RC Forum Host

• 2,270 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 11:28

No, Camelio; it means "is a great driver and one of the fastest of the current grid".

From the same interview:

"Antes que nada, quiero decir que Robert es un gran piloto, el mejor de la parrilla actual y algún día, tarde o temprano, será campeón del mundo."

"First and foremost, I want to say that Robert is a great driver, the best one in the current grid and that one day, sooner or later, he will be WDC." And in this last sentence I agree that there are no ifs, buts or maybes.

#24 Bonaventura

Bonaventura

• 7,698 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 11:29

Are you Spain?
For me with my random spain knowing
it means
He is a grand pilot and the fastest of the current grid

But I think it's not really important if
Alonso thinks he is the fastest, or one of the very fastest
becaus Alonso himself counts as one of the fastest, too

#25 Fontainebleau

Fontainebleau
  • RC Forum Host

• 2,270 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 11:37

Are you Spain?
For me with my random spain knowing
it means
He is a grand pilot and the fastest of the current grid

But I think it's not really important if
Alonso thinks he is the fastest, or one of the very fastest
becaus Alonso himself counts as one of the fastest, too

Fully agreed! :D The important thing for us is that each one of them will have to give his best if he wants to beat the other.

Edited by Fontainebleau, 15 February 2011 - 11:37.

#26 tifosiMac

tifosiMac

• 7,360 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 11:49

Google translate certainly says "fastest" rather than "one of" or "maybe", but I don't speak Spanish myself and know how incorrect google translate can be.

With English there are so many ways to say a sentence and I assume its the same in Spanish. Is it possible to say "one" in Spanish but not say "uno" or "tal vez" or whatever? :)

#27 trogggy

trogggy

• 9,216 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 11:52

Google translate certainly says "fastest" rather than "one of" or "maybe", but I don't speak Spanish myself and know how incorrect google translate can be.

With English there are so many ways to say a sentence and I assume its the same in Spanish. Is it possible to say "one" in Spanish but not say "uno" or "tal vez" or whatever? :)

Google translate is responsible for a lot of poor journalism.

#28 tifosiMac

tifosiMac

• 7,360 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 11:54

Google translate is responsible for a lot of poor journalism.

Thats pretty obvious. Just look at Planet F1.

#29 trogggy

trogggy

• 9,216 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 11:57

Thats pretty obvious. Just look at Planet F1.

Well, yes. They're an good example. But you can see examples on Autosport, or the BBC for that matter. Remember the story where Luca (I think) supposedly said Massa should start his own team if he didn't like the way Ferrari did things?

Edited by trogggy, 15 February 2011 - 11:58.

#30 Fontainebleau

Fontainebleau
  • RC Forum Host

• 2,270 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 12:02

"De los más rápidos" literally means "of the fastest"; in Spanish you can skip saying "uno" ("one") in front of the rest of the sentence. In the sentence "Es un gran piloto y de los más rápidos de la actual parrilla de la Fórmula 1", the words "los" and "rapidos" both use the plural form. If you wanted to say "the fastest" you would need to say "y el más rápido", with "el" and "rapido" in sigular, and skipping the preposition "de", which indicates either possesion or, as in this case, pertenence (to a group, in this case, that of "los más rápidos").

Sorry about the rather complicated explanation, but since I am the first one to ask many English gammar questions which are always kindly answered I feel an obligation to do the same, even if I am not too good at finding an easy way of explaining things! :)

#31 showtime

showtime

• 3,032 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 12:05

If you want to say "the fastest" in Spanish you should say " ... y el más rápido de la actual parrilla de la Fórmula 1"
If you want to say "one of the fastest" in Spanish you should say " ... y (uno) de los más rápidos de la actual parrilla de la Fórmula 1"

You don't need to say "uno" because it's implicit, the key is the use the "de" preposition and the plural.

Edit: Fontainebleau made a clearer explanation a few posts before.

Edited by showtime, 15 February 2011 - 12:06.

#32 femi

femi

• 8,288 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 12:06

I think you will find a more accurate interpretaton here

#33 showtime

showtime

• 3,032 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 12:08

Poor translation, take a look at this thread: http://forums.autosp...a...t&p=4845002

#34 tifosiMac

tifosiMac

• 7,360 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 12:09

If you want to say "the fastest" in Spanish you should say " ... y el más rápido de la actual parrilla de la Fórmula 1"
If you want to say "one of the fastest" in Spanish you should say " ... y (uno) de los más rápidos de la actual parrilla de la Fórmula 1"

You don't need to say "uno" because it's implicit, the key is the use the "de" preposition and the plural.

Thats fair enough. :)

#35 Anomnader

Anomnader

• 8,616 posts

Which is fair enough and I'd say the same about Alonso and Vettel aswell as Lewis. The only place I would disagree with him on is Webber, I think he's being very generous! :p

Edited by Anomnader, 15 February 2011 - 12:10.

#36 tifosiMac

tifosiMac

• 7,360 posts

"De los más rápidos" literally means "of the fastest"; in Spanish you can skip saying "uno" ("one") in front of the rest of the sentence. In the sentence "Es un gran piloto y de los más rápidos de la actual parrilla de la Fórmula 1", the words "los" and "rapidos" both use the plural form. If you wanted to say "the fastest" you would need to say "y el más rápido", with "el" and "rapido" in sigular, and skipping the preposition "de", which indicates either possesion or, as in this case, pertenence (to a group, in this case, that of "los más rápidos").

Sorry about the rather complicated explanation, but since I am the first one to ask many English gammar questions which are always kindly answered I feel an obligation to do the same, even if I am not too good at finding an easy way of explaining things! :)

Thanks also. :)

#37 undersquare

undersquare

• 18,929 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 12:10

You are right :up:

Anyway it was a positive thing to say about Lewis, let's not be too greedy :) .

#38 shanser

shanser

• 240 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 12:11

Two-time Champion Alonso described

Vettel
"Very fast. Very fast and accurate. If he starts first in a race it is difficult to stop him."

Mark Webber,
"experienced, calm and consistent. It is very difficult to see him fail."

Hamilton
"a great driver and the fastest of the current Formula One grid" while Button "has a great instinct for difficult races in the rain or with the safety car in the dry".

Schumacher
"he is the champion, we all respect him and he is a driver capable of surprising"

Massa?
"Very quickly, he knows the team, he started with Sauber, but is now with Ferrari and very hungry to win."

#39 Fontainebleau

Fontainebleau
  • RC Forum Host

• 2,270 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 12:11

Not exactlyaccurate, though. We were discussing his comment about Hamilton in the Hamilton vs Alonso thread, and we are having fun with the translation used ;) Let's say that the translator had the feeling that Alonso had not been complementary enough of his British colleagues and decided to sort that out ;) , but the changes are more different shades of a same colour that a totally different colour palette.

His comment on Button:
Button: He has a lot of instinct for difficult races in the rain or with SC in the dry. That's how he usually benefits (from those situations).

Edited by Fontainebleau, 15 February 2011 - 12:13.

Advertisement

#40 Rinehart

Rinehart

• 15,144 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 12:13

Two-time Champion Alonso described

Vettel
"Very fast. Very fast and accurate. If he starts first in a race it is difficult to stop him."

Mark Webber,
"experienced, calm and consistent. It is very difficult to see him fail."

Hamilton
"a great driver and the fastest of the current Formula One grid" while Button "has a great instinct for difficult races in the rain or with the safety car in the dry".

Schumacher
"he is the champion, we all respect him and he is a driver capable of surprising"

Massa?
"Very quickly, he knows the team, he started with Sauber, but is now with Ferrari and very hungry to win."

Linky?

#41 showtime

showtime

• 3,032 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 12:14

This has been already discussed in two other threads. And for the third thread in a row: poor translation.

#42 Mila

Mila

• 8,564 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 12:16

Paul Vitti
"Likes to gun the throttle. Likes to throttle teammates."

:)

#43 Fontainebleau

Fontainebleau
  • RC Forum Host

• 2,270 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 12:17

You are right :up:

Anyway it was a positive thing to say about Lewis, let's not be too greedy :) .

Yes, I think that at the end of the day if you state that somebody is "the fastest" you are indirectly saying that others are slower, and as he is giving his opinion on five drivers he is probably trying to avoid what could be seen as a direct comparison.

Edited by Fontainebleau, 15 February 2011 - 12:17.

#44 shanser

shanser

• 240 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 12:18

This has been already discussed in two other threads. And for the third thread in a row: poor translation.

i really dono how to reply to you, dude... ITS IN ENGLISH
http://planetf1.com/...s-His-F1-Rivals

#45 showtime

showtime

• 3,032 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 12:19

i really dono how to reply to you, dude... ITS IN ENGLISH
http://planetf1.com/...s-His-F1-Rivals

That's not the ORIGINAL SOURCE

#46 shanser

shanser

• 240 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 12:23

That's not the ORIGINAL SOURCE

hey showtime, its "time" u translate the real interview then, curious to know wt he said

#47 showtime

showtime

• 3,032 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 12:25

hey showtime, its "time" u translate the real interview then, curious to know wt he said

Check these threads:

http://forums.autosp...a...t&p=4842515
http://forums.autosp...a...t&p=4845002

#48 undersquare

undersquare

• 18,929 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 12:27

Yes, I think that at the end of the day if you state that somebody is "the fastest" you are indirectly saying that others are slower, and as he is giving his opinion on five drivers he is probably trying to avoid what could be seen as a direct comparison.

Yeah very true. It's a silly media set-up anyway, what's any driver supposed to say? (other than Mansell :lol: )

#49 GlenP

GlenP

• 3,403 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 12:28

Which is fair enough and I'd say the same about Alonso and Vettel aswell as Lewis. The only place I would disagree with him on is Webber, I think he's being very generous! :p

Very accurate with regard to Webber - he was still in the fight for Championship because of consistency, and then made one crucial mistake and blew it. One mistake - not several like all the other contenders.

#50 shanser

shanser

• 240 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 12:31

if u need tickets or hotel stay in india , do let me know....