Photo

TNFer sponsors new Free Single-Seater Series

• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#1 simonlewisbooks

simonlewisbooks

• 2,118 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 10:41

Thanks largely to threads on TNF I find myself the new title sponsor of...

THE SIMON LEWIS TRANSPORT BOOKS FREE SINGLE-SEATER SERIES

(..God I wish I had a snappier company name!)

This will run over four dates at Castle Combe circuit in England this summer

Saturday/Sunday 18th/19th June (double-header)
Saturday 23rd July
Sunday 14th August

It's open to any single seater that can make the MSA noise limit and we hope it will attract some historically intersting cars. At the moment there is a provisional entry for a recent F1 Honda (re-engined) and talk of some HSCC runners joining in as the dates fill holes in their calendar. Of course part of the interest here is in not knowing quite what might turn up, but one thing you can be sure of, it won't be another spec-formula to lull you to sleep in your deckchair.

I've never sponsored a series before but it seems an appropriate time - it's 10 years this year since I last raced at Combe and 20 years in April since I first competed in motor sport. But if it hadn't been for TNF and a couple of threads on Castle Combe the connection would not have been made. I scanned in a few photos and from there put up a Castle Combe Formula Libre website and on and on it went.

The sight of Tony Trimmer in his Lola T330 and Alo Lawler in his McLaren M30 hammering round Combe really struck me as a kid back in the early 80s and I always loved the Formula Libre series that ran at the time so I'm hoping this years 'Libre by any other name' mini-series will have a similar affect on the current generation of young spectators.

I hope a few fellow TNFr's will be tempted to come along and see what turns up.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Advertisement

#2 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 11:28

Well done Simon :up:
I hope it gets the support it deserves

#3 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 7,316 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 11:43

Well done Simon :up:
I hope it gets the support it deserves

I'm with David on this one and think it's a wondeful idea! It's a pity it's not based a little further north to make it more accessible for the hardcore libre loving TNFers of Lancs & Cheshire, but I will most certainly endeavour to support at least some if not all of the event! :up:

#4 Mallory Dan

Mallory Dan

• 3,118 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 11:49

Brilliant, Simon, well done!

I've sponsored an HFF2000 race for the past 3 years, for not much £££ I hasten to add. It just feels nice to be involved in a tiny way, and give a little back!

#5 RTH

RTH

• 6,064 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 12:07

Well done Simon a really good idea. I well remember the libre races at Silverstone in the early 70s.
Something we should all try to support. Make sure you keep reminding us about it right up to the event weekend.

#6 Phil Rainford

Phil Rainford

• 5,302 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 13:13

Well doen Simon for supporting true " Club Racing " :up: :up:

PAR

#7 Allen Brown

Allen Brown

• 5,538 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 14:31

Great idea Simon. I hope it's a huge success.

#8 Pete Stowe

Pete Stowe

• 481 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 15:57

Well done Simon :clap: See you in June.

Full Castle Combe press release here

and more on the potential ex-F1 Honda here

#9 simonlewisbooks

simonlewisbooks

• 2,118 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 16:11

Anyone know anything about the Hartley 3 litre engine fitted in the Honda RA107 ?

#10 Pete Stowe

Pete Stowe

• 481 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 16:30

I presume it's one of these H1V8.

#11 Gary C

Gary C

• 5,571 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 21:28

.....................when I saw the title of the thread I had thoughts of entering my 1969 Formula Ford.....................

#12 Ted Walker

Ted Walker

• 1,432 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 08:35

Well done Simon,Gary why cant you ????????????

#13 simonlewisbooks

simonlewisbooks

• 2,118 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 09:30

.....................when I saw the title of the thread I had thoughts of entering my 1969 Formula Ford.....................

Go for it Gary! :up: The more the merrier.

#14 simonlewisbooks

simonlewisbooks

• 2,118 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 09:40

I presume it's one of these H1V8.

Cheers Pete, I havn't seen one of these before. I didn't find it actually written down on the site but assume it's based on 2 Hyabusa blocks?

#15 Stephen W

Stephen W

• 15,555 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 14:13

Cheers Pete, I havn't seen one of these before. I didn't find it actually written down on the site but assume it's based on 2 Hyabusa blocks?

There are at least three companies doing this - i.e. combining two Suzuki Hyabusa engines on a common crank. Powertek, TKD & Hartley.

:wave:

#16 Gary C

Gary C

• 5,571 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 15:38

'Go for it Gary! up.gif The more the merrier.'
Hmmmmmmmm, my thing in the same race as a 2007 F1 Honda..........................

#17 Ted Walker

Ted Walker

• 1,432 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 16:10

Simon. Could you confirm what clubs are invited to join in ???? Or do you have to join the Combe club to enter ???

#18 Andretti Fan

Andretti Fan

• 393 posts

Posted 18 March 2011 - 02:01

Think we might be able to talk T54 into running his 72 Indy Eagle. Now that might be a sight to see. :)

#19 Pete Stowe

Pete Stowe

• 481 posts

Posted 18 March 2011 - 09:03

Simon. Could you confirm what clubs are invited to join in ???? Or do you have to join the Combe club to enter ???

Ted,
Best person to talk to about entries is Haydn Earl at Castle Combe Tel. 01249 782417 e-mail: haydne@castlecombecircuit.co.uk

Advertisement

#20 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 6,709 posts

Posted 18 March 2011 - 11:05

Congrats Simon look forward to making my way to at least one of these events :-)

#21 simonlewisbooks

simonlewisbooks

• 2,118 posts

Posted 18 March 2011 - 16:48

Think we might be able to talk T54 into running his 72 Indy Eagle. Now that might be a sight to see. :)

:love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love:
Yes please...... wouldn't it just!

On Ted's point, I don't know, not yet having had a good scrut' of the regulations, but as ever the 'invited clubs' business is always a moot point. When I was rallying I ended up effectively being a non-active member of several motor clubs - I never got involved in any of them, just had to join them to do maybe one event a year! ): I always felt aggrieved at this closed-shop system which the then-RAC MSA promoted. It was supposedly meant to prop up motor clubs (which would be fair enough if it really did I suppose) but it just seemed like a stealth-tax and a load of needless admin for a competitor. I wonder if it's any better now?

#22 Quixotic

Quixotic

• 422 posts

Posted 18 March 2011 - 22:16

Wish we had something like that here in Aussie. Formula R and Ausboss seem to have died......... Well Formula R still runs I think, but only in the eastern states.

#23 simonlewisbooks

simonlewisbooks

• 2,118 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 13:55

Just over a week to go until the first round of the series(June 19th).

Practice on Saturday and two races on Sunday.

Entries are still open and should be published early next week.

Have you entered Gary ? There is a sub-class for older FF1600s and the Honda F1 won't be there on this occasion as it's still in 'component form'.

The event features the TOUR BRITANNIA which has a rally stage and two races on the Saturday. The commentary at Combe mentioned that this was the only part of that whole event open to spectators (which seems a bit bizarre) so plenty of reasons to hit the M4 and take a look I'd have thought.

SPECIAL OFFER - on my website I'm offering a FREE weekend ticket (including paddock) if you place a book/photo/dvd order over £25 .
This offer applies to all three race meetings in which the series features (July 24th, Aug 14th being the others). Available while supplies last and all bookable via my website.

#24 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 8,397 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 15:11

Just over a week to go until the first round of the series(June 19th).
The event features the TOUR BRITANNIA which has a rally stage and two races on the Saturday. The commentary at Combe mentioned that this was the only part of that whole event open to spectators (which seems a bit bizarre) so plenty of reasons to hit the M4 and take a look I'd have thought.

Apart from Simon's series, the Tour Britannia has one or two interesting entries, so, as Simon says, it could be additional reason for heading for Combe. When was the last time a 250GTO raced at the circuit? Would it be in the days of Ron Fry?
http://www.tourbrita...com/entry-list/
TNFers John Ruston and Fred Gallagher are also on the list.

#25 Gary C

Gary C

• 5,571 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 15:58

'Have you entered Gary ? There is a sub-class for older FF1600s and the Honda F1 won't be there on this occasion'
No, sorry Simon, I can't afford to renew my race licence, medical, race entry etc etc!

#26 E1pix

E1pix

• 23,429 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 19:17

THE SIMON LEWIS TRANSPORT BOOKS FREE SINGLE-SEATER SERIES
(..God I wish I had a snappier company name!)

How about 'LEWISpeed?'

Fabulous effort, Congrats and Best in your Series!!! :up:

#27 Thundersports

Thundersports

• 612 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 21:25

Good luck hope the weekend goes well for you and the participants

#28 simonlewisbooks

simonlewisbooks

• 2,118 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 08:58

Regret to announce the series is a last minute non-starter ! :well:

Rodney Gooch of Castle Combe rang yesterday and tells me that despite earlier assurances of a large, even over-subscribed entry the number of actual real, fee-paying entries wasn't sufficient to make for a sensible grid, so they have pulled the series for this season. :well:

As you can imagine I'm not exactly pleased by this, although I can understand it in the current financial climate. '**** happens' to quote the bumper sticker! Much the same thing happened with the Saloon-libre series earlier in the season.

So my debut as a series sponsor is on hold - the only good news is I still have a bunch of tickets for the next event on June 18-19 so if anyone fancies going (seeing the Tour Britannia on Saturday has to be worth the trip ?) a donation of £5 will get you a two-day pass worth £25 ! Just pm me. First come first served.

#29 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 09:59

Very sorry to hear that news, Simon

Hang in there :up:

#30 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,591 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 10:27

It's a great shame. I was really looking forward to seeing this.

#31 RTH

RTH

• 6,064 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 12:44

This is a brilliant idea it would make a joyous relief from the sea of tedious bland one make racing.

Clubs and circuit owners have got to wake up to the fact that they have escalated competitor costs in all respects over the last 25 years in general and especially in the last 10 years to levels where people with cars simply cannot afford to operate them in races, vastly ahead of any inflation.
If that is not recognised and addressed then there will be more and more contraction of participants.

#32 simon drabble

simon drabble

• 554 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 12:47

very sorry to hear that - I will be there as my son has his first Formula Ford race (in fact its a double header) on the Sunday in a Swift, bit of a change from sharing Dad's car! Simon could you email me as I would like to take a pair of tickets from you
thanks

#33 simonlewisbooks

simonlewisbooks

• 2,118 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 14:31

This is a brilliant idea it would make a joyous relief from the sea of tedious bland one make racing.

Clubs and circuit owners have got to wake up to the fact that they have escalated competitor costs in all respects over the last 25 years in general and especially in the last 10 years to levels where people with cars simply cannot afford to operate them in races, vastly ahead of any inflation.
If that is not recognised and addressed then there will be more and more contraction of participants.

You have a good point there. I was talking to someone at an event recently who had been a regular competitor in hillclimbs and did not renew his license when entry fees topped £100 on the bigger hills - which was a major psychological hurdle in his view. He now rides motorcycles at weekends...

An earlier conversation from someone within an organizing club revealed they are regularly 30 cars short of a full entry when two years back they were always over-subscribed...
That equated to about nearly £4,000 per event and over £20,000 for the season. One does wonder how much of that 'loss' might have been recovered with a slightly lower entry fee for everyone?

Of course a lot of the costs are fixed by MSA fees and insurance costs. Years back I knew a Clerk of Course who reckoned he'd looked into this situation via a Lloyds broker and found it would be possible to arrange identical insurance at way below the approved MSA rate. Of course that would not have been allowed.... :well:

#34 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 6,709 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 09:01

Sorry to hear the THE SIMON LEWIS TRANSPORT BOOKS FREE SINGLE-SEATER SERIES will not be getting off the ground Simon :cry:

May be next year ?

#35 simonlewisbooks

simonlewisbooks

• 2,118 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 13:27

Sorry to hear the THE SIMON LEWIS TRANSPORT BOOKS FREE SINGLE-SEATER SERIES will not be getting off the ground Simon :cry:

May be next year ?

Thanks Art' thats the plan! This year was very last-minute and in the current economy that didn't give it much of a chance.
Watch this space, as the saying goes. :wave:

#36 simon drabble

simon drabble

• 554 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 09:05

Phoenix like I think your race has risen from the ashes as my son has just put an entry in for it!!! Even better value as it is now a double header!

#37 simonlewisbooks

simonlewisbooks

• 2,118 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 10:42

Phoenix like I think your race has risen from the ashes as my son has just put an entry in for it!!! Even better value as it is now a double header!

Yes, would you believe it - 48 hours after the "it's all off" phone call I got an email saying there were 5 or 6 "possible entries" so they wanted to run a race anyway...

I confess my reaction was that I'd rather they didn't if the grid was going to be that small (and this was still only 'possible' entries). Better to put it back until the next event and canvass entries more actively in the meantime, surely?

Perhaps some more of the local FF1600 runners will enter, as your son has, and make it a worthwhile race?

I thought this would have been encouraged initially especially for those looking to get signatures on licenses and extra race miles under their belt.

I don't quite know what to make of it all :confused:

#38 simonlewisbooks

simonlewisbooks

• 2,118 posts

Posted 18 June 2011 - 21:25

It's Saturday evening. I was at Combe this morning with Arttidesco and after the fairly entertaining, but rather brief TOUR BRITANNIA rally stage, watched the 'single seater testing' ... which I assume was for anyone in this series and any FF1600 boys who wanted to play. It was very wet for much of the 30 mins and so no one was being too energetic but here's the trio of wings-and-slicks cars that appeared.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

I wandered round the largely deserted paddock and found a couple more.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Thanks to all of them for pitching up. Hope it's dry for tomorrow's race.

I confess I found the whole day a bit depressing( the inclement weather not helping). The sport is clearly suffering in the current financial climate.
Given that it seemed like hours before there was any more action due and it was regularly hammering down with rain I went home at this point....

Arttidesco phoned later to say I'd missed some cracking races for the TOUR runners so the day perked up.

#39 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 6,709 posts

Posted 19 June 2011 - 05:04

Posted Image

As Simon has suggested yesterday was not the best organised day I have ever attended even had time to nip home to go and pick up my camera between the morning action and afternoon action but it was nice to see some slicks and wings vehicles out and good to see the some FF cars of varying vintages too !

The starters in order for the THE SIMON LEWIS TRANSPORT BOOKS FREE SINGLE-SEATER SERIES will be :-

#85 Peter Bragg Nemesis Mygale
# 6 Roger Orgee Van Diemen RF00
# 3 David Cox Ralt RT3
#58 Jeremy Timms Van Diemen RF87
#39 David Gambling Reynard SF84
#84 Stephen Bracegirdle Van Diemen RF89
#63 Richard Higgins Van Diemen RF94
#80 Darren Houldcroft Van Diemen RF88
#17 Alex Drabble Swift SC92

Posted Image

Posted Image

Two additional slicks and wings cars came out at the end of the day to bring the total number of S&W starters up to 5.

Posted Image

Surprise of the day were the two Tour Britania Races, Ian Ashley caught and passed this front row starting Porsche in less than 2 laps after starting from the back of the grid in his Caterham 7 300,

Posted Image

the Porsche was also being driven by a well known 'name' ....,

Posted Image

seriously, welcome to Castle Combe Danny Sullivan !

Posted Image

Great to see the ex Richard Lloyd 2nd incarnation Camaro being driven with a modicum of conviction.

Posted Image

No day when a GTO turns up at Castle Combe can be that bad can it ?

Afraid I won't be able to make the inaugural THE SIMON LEWIS TRANSPORT BOOKS FREE SINGLE-SEATER SERIES race as I have a prior engagement at my first Car Gymkhana in which I'll be tackling in a Kia Picante ! Hope everyone has a great day at Castle Combe.

My thanks to Simon for the generously discounted ticket :wave:

Edited by arttidesco, 19 June 2011 - 18:16.

Advertisement

#40 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 19 June 2011 - 06:17

The starters in order for the THE SIMON LEWIS TRANSPORT BOOKS FREE SINGLE-SEATER SERIES will be :-

#85 Peter Bragg Nemesis Mygale
# 6 Roger Orgee Van Diemen RF00
# 3 David Cox Ralt RT3
#58 Jeremy Timms Van Diemen RF87
#39 David Gambling Reynard SF84
#84 Stephen Bracegirdle Van Diemen RF89
#63 Richard Higgins Van Diemen RF94
#80 Darren Houldcroft Van Diemen RF88
#17 Alex Drabble Swift SC92

There couldn't be a Castle Combe libre race without Roger Orgee :cool:

#41 E1pix

E1pix

• 23,429 posts

Posted 19 June 2011 - 07:54

HOLY MOLY! From a dead race to alive in two days.... and with Danny Sullivan to boot? My former-flight attendant wife flew Danny to Aspen dozens of times, and I photographed him at many races, a local and National Hero for us and the epitome of cool!

CONGRATULATIONS.... heartwarming that you pulled this off, Simon!!! :up: :up: :up:

#42 simonlewisbooks

simonlewisbooks

• 2,118 posts

Posted 19 June 2011 - 21:58

Back from Combe - something of a truncated visit as the family were in tow and my partner Pip is not exactly a motor sport fan - she prefers the type of horsepower where you get four feet, no brakes and iffy steering. I didn't stay for race two I'm afraid - yes that was bad form , I know - but family pressure got in the way "I'm Hungry Dad! When are we going to FRANKIE & BENNY'S?" etc etc. and it was scheduled as the last race of the day and the kids are small and go to bed early.....

With the week we had with this series I kept a low profile and just watched race 1 from the bank at Camp corner.
The good news was 9 cars actually on the grid and an interesting dice for second .
The flip side was only 5 finishers and two of them were a couple of laps down at the end.

So I have no idea how many cars appeared in race 2 and how many finished but given the form from race 1 it looked a shoe-in for the Mygale Monoposto car of Peter Bragg which was on pole for race 1 by 1.5 seconds and romped home easily.

Posted Image

27 seconds back was Jason Timms' "Speads" which looks like an FPA series chassis with a bike engine, which sounded sweet.

Posted Image

Timms started at the back having missed qualifying and managed two spins during the race and still repass David Cox's Ralt RT3 on the final lap.

Posted Image

Anyone know what the history of the Ralt is ?

The other quick runner was Roger Orgee jr who ran a Van Diemen RF00 with a Duratec engine and qualified 2nd, although he retired early on. As David McKinney says, it wouldn't have been a Libre race at Combe without at least one Roger Orgee on the grid!

My thanks to all those who turned out and particularly to Peter Bragg who asked my two kids if they wanted to sit in his car for photos afterwards...which naturally they did!

Posted ImagePosted Image

Peter told me that more Monoposto runners would certainly like to run in the series but they'd been at Spa last weekend (he was still running Spa gearing) and time, as well as transport costs were the biggest problem. He's keen on doing the other two races in the series (assuming they take place...) and he'll put the word about among the Mono runners. One of which, Geoff Pashley, told me he would have raced if he'd been aware that late entries were being accepted. I've known Geoff for years so I blame myself there, I should have given him a ring early in the week.

Will there be more races? I don't know, I hope so. Watch this space, I guess!

#43 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 6,709 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 01:29

Great to see your series got off the ground Simon ! From small acorns .... :up:

#44 simon drabble

simon drabble

• 554 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 06:59

Simon we had a torrid weekend. My son's testing on Thursday was truncated due to a head gasket failure which came back to haunt him in your qually. We limped him round to get on the grid for the race Sunday but it transpired to be more serious than first thought and we had to withdraw the entry.

Great shame as his times on old tyres on Thursday would have indicated a strong finish on fresh rubber.

We will be competing in the next Castle Combe FF race 23/24 July - will your race be on that bill or you decamping to Silverstone for the Classic?

#45 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 8,397 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 08:57

Here are the results for both races, Simon
http://www.tsl-timin...2011/112468.pdf

#46 simonlewisbooks

simonlewisbooks

• 2,118 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 09:37

Here are the results for both races, Simon
http://www.tsl-timin...2011/112468.pdf

Thanks for the link Alan!
Looks like it was initially a close race but Peter Bragg must have had a spin as he suddenly dropped 10 seconds back on a single lap.
Congrat's to Jason Timms who's car was undoubtedly the best sounding one out there. Does anyone know the story of this car? It's called a Speads and looks like a Palmer Audi chassis....

#47 simonlewisbooks

simonlewisbooks

• 2,118 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 09:47

Simon we had a torrid weekend. My son's testing on Thursday was truncated due to a head gasket failure which came back to haunt him in your qually. We limped him round to get on the grid for the race Sunday but it transpired to be more serious than first thought and we had to withdraw the entry.

Great shame as his times on old tyres on Thursday would have indicated a strong finish on fresh rubber.

We will be competing in the next Castle Combe FF race 23/24 July - will your race be on that bill or you decamping to Silverstone for the Classic?

Sorry to hear that. I looked at the qualifying times and assumed there must have been a problem , then saw the car parked up rather forlornly in the paddock.
Hopefully there will be a race on the 23/24th. Im not planning on being at Silverstone although I really should be from a commercial point of view!
I'm going to redouble efforts to pull in more entries for the next event . I know of at least two more cars that should be ready to run by then and if the club offers it's FF1600 runners a deal rather earlier than was the case this time (Friday morning....) then I'd like to think we'll be well into double figures and have at least one large capacity and rather historic car in the mix.

#48 simon drabble

simon drabble

• 554 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 10:15

I think you are right - as they are there the enticement of a discount for multiple entries normally works.
We will look to do your race as well - Sunday was spent looking at TSL pondering on what might have been.. after the class win in the Autosport 3 Hours the weekend before it is good to get him used to the highs and lows of racing early on!!

#49 alansart

alansart

• 4,419 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 10:19

Back from Combe - something of a truncated visit as the family were in tow and my partner Pip is not exactly a motor sport fan - she prefers the type of horsepower where you get four feet, no brakes and iffy steering. I didn't stay for race two I'm afraid - yes that was bad form , I know - but family pressure got in the way "I'm Hungry Dad! When are we going to FRANKIE & BENNY'S?" etc etc. and it was scheduled as the last race of the day and the kids are small and go to bed early.....

My 2 daughters were like that when they were younger but by the time they were teenagers they got to like racing on the TV. Now they can drive they want me to get the car rebuilt so they can have a go :eek:

#50 simonlewisbooks

simonlewisbooks

• 2,118 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 10:56

My 2 daughters were like that when they were younger but by the time they were teenagers they got to like racing on the TV. Now they can drive they want me to get the car rebuilt so they can have a go :eek:

My youngest (3) is already a bit of a daredevil and she seemed to thoroughly enjoy the whole thing, and the noise didn't put her off, unlike her older sister (noise? These kids don't know the meaning of the word do they? Now when I were a lad.... ) but her belly rules her head and nothing but nothing is currently more important than the next meal :lol: !

Edited by simonlewisbooks, 20 June 2011 - 13:11.