'TT3D: Closer to The Edge'

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Ray Oldam

Ray Oldam

• 168 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 20:38

Hi All,

Went to the new TT film last night - we both thought it was well worth going to see and it includes some 70's and earlier footage, some I had never seen before, so it probably just about qualifies for a mention here. Not sure it needs the 3D (and we both looked silly in those glasses!). Carol thought it was good too-I took her to the Island back in 2008 and she really enjoyed it so could appreciate the film.

Like quite a few of us, the Island has mixed memories for me, but it's amazing to see today's riders going round there. We thought it was well put together and did a good job of capturing the essence of the TT without lots of silly sensationalism. Guy Martin was great value - an entertaining character who really helped make the film. Bridget Dobbs also deserves a special mention. See it if you can - I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Ray :wave:

Edited by Ray Oldam, 10 May 2011 - 21:19.

Advertisement

#2 picblanc

picblanc

• 12,531 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 22:00

Saw it on the preview night, thought it was excellent & well worth seeing on the big screen with cinema sound, I agree Ray it did not need to be 3D would of been still great in 2D.
Will buy it when it comes out on DVD.
The interview with Bridget Dobbs was indeed very moving & shows how lucky Guy Martin was to of got away with his crash @ the same place as Dobsy who sadly didnt.
The helicopter shot of Conor Cummins blimey a lucky lucky lad!

#3 joeninety

joeninety

• 435 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 20:40

Must say as sporting films go then yes it's good. I enjoy the attitude from Guy and his anti-establishment take on life. I have a pet hate in particular to the likes such as Jim Parker who know nothing about what it takes and show no compassion but selfish hard and fast rules and no consideration from a riders perspective.

Edited by joeninety, 14 May 2011 - 20:47.

#4 Robin127

Robin127

• 508 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 22:08

Must say as sporting films go then yes it's good. I enjoy the attitude from Guy and his anti-establishment take on life. I have a pet hate in particular to the likes such as Jim Parker who know nothing about what it takes and show no compassion but selfish hard and fast rules and no consideration from a riders perspective.

Ahh, Jim Parker, enough said.

Edited by Robin127, 14 May 2011 - 22:09.

#5 dank

dank

• 5,191 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 22:37

Bit of a shameless plug perhaps, but here's my take on it.

In short: blummin' brilliant.

Can't wait to get it on DVD and watch it again.

#6 joeninety

joeninety

• 435 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 17:38

Interesting article.....

.....TT3D: Closer To The Edge has smashed box office records to become the UK’s highest weekend box office documentary opener since Michael Moore’s Fahrenheit 9/11, grossing £312,998 over its opening weekend. Financed, produced and distributed by CinemaNX, the film follows key riders as they embark on the highly dangerous 2010 TT race on the Isle of Man, and explores what motivates these men and women to do what they do – to feel truly alive.

Word-of-mouth seems to be a big factor, and daily box office is steadily growing – Tuesday’s box office was the highest daily figure since the start of the bank holiday weekend. Supported by the UK Film Council, the exit polls from last week show a groundbreaking 96% top level favourable rating for the film from audience members.

CinemaNX chairman Steve Christian says, “This is a really good result that we’re all proud of at NX. A smart distribution campaign carefully targeting both the core audience and a wider documentary-loving demographic is working. From our online Facebook and iPad/iPhone game which had over 3 million interactions and boosted early awareness, to careful guerrilla marketing to pretty much anyone who has ever had anything to do with a motorbike, we’ve managed to get the attention of cinemagoers and get them into cinemas on the hottest weekend of the year so far.”

http://blog.hanwayfi...usly-enjoyable/

:up: :clap:

Edited by joeninety, 17 May 2011 - 17:48.

#7 RS250

RS250

• 111 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 12:17

I think Guy Martins sudden rise to superstardom may have had a bit of an influence on the box office, to put it mildly.
Great film though. We should also send our best wishes to Hutchy - Christ, talk about highs and lows. And they say the TT's dangerous...

#8 joeninety

joeninety

• 435 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 19:37

What next a Brut advert with Prince Naseem, da ya get mi ! Can't see him endorsing Durex though :) It's great to see a sportsman transcending his sport and not in a polished media friendly fashion.

#9 Xover

Xover

• 74 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 09:22

Looks like I may be alone on this one, but despite Guy martin's likeable and quirky personality I found his petulant displays rather irritating and ill placed in a man of his admirable talent. I'm all for standing up against the establishment, but when the establishment is unquestionably right then you have to accept the decision and get on with it. The further technology allows us to advance in timekeeping, the more minute will be the margins for error. As Guy Martin himself pointed out, he was penalised for exceeding the pit lane speed limit by .1 of a mile per hour. Maybe in the future, a decision will be made to the hundred thousandth of a mile an hour, who knows? The fact is it will still be in excess of the regulation limit. Imagine if the official had said to Guy martin, " Look mate, you were only .1 of a mile an hour inside the pit lane speed limit there." and Guy responding, " Blimey, only .1 of a mile an hour under...I think you'd better penalise me then, just to be on the safe side." Line drawn. Ref's decision. Respect it.
Anyway, it's a brilliant film and Conor Cummings' off still makes me wince when I think of it.

#10 picblanc

picblanc

• 12,531 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 10:32

I think it was .1 of a KPH? but no mind miniscule, what it appeared Guy was getting upset about is how accurate is the measuring instrument, the Police allow +5% & the equipment has to be recalibrated everyday, it appeared he just wanted the equipment & or the lines on the road checked for accurracey, & with the adrenalin still pumping to find out straight after the race he has been given a 30sec penalty for going .1kph over the limit for him to be spitting chips seemed a reasonable way of dealing with it. Just my view on it. :wave: Oh & Conor Cummins accident....enough said!! :eek:

#11 RS250

RS250

• 111 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 13:14

I think its very easy for us to all sit here and say "Rules is Rules" and "Whether its 10kph, 1kph or 0.1 kph over its too fast" but surely you must have sympathy with anyone who's been just penalised 30 seconds after such an effort - the penalty seemed a little harsh to me.
On a much more positive note, isn't it great to see Conor back racing again? Just in time for the, err....

#12 tonyed

tonyed

• 982 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 17:10

I think 'Absolutely Darling' Guys new found fame might have been instrumental in calling off the NW200. To see him strutting 'Pharoah' like at the scene of the oil spill was a little less than becoming.

Why didn't they 'just' yellow flag that section?

'F' me we rode the 1976 Senior MGP in a storm and insisted we had the right to do so.

Yours, still mad as a fish :stoned:

#13 Robin127

Robin127

• 508 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 17:22

I think 'Absolutely Darling' Guys new found fame might have been instrumental in calling off the NW200. To see him strutting 'Pharoah' like at the scene of the oil spill was a little less than becoming.

Why didn't they 'just' yellow flag that section?

'F' me we rode the 1976 Senior MGP in a storm and insisted we had the right to do so.

Yours, still mad as a fish :stoned:

Apparently the oil spill was over a mile long, I can't really blame them for calling it off.

Courtesy of the BBC
Posted Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

#14 picblanc

picblanc

• 12,531 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 17:34

Bike into crowd would finish the NW200 & possibly road racing in Ireland, riding through it even under yellows would have spread it more?

#15 joeninety

joeninety

• 435 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 18:27

'Absolutely Darling' Guys new found fame might have been instrumental in calling off the NW200' mmmm !
Why is it that someone's fame outside motorcycling suddenly gets a pummeling, as if they don't belong ? Sheene got some stick as I recall. All I can say is everyone in my immediate family like his off beat attitude. The penalty as mentioned elsewhere was severe, how many riders have cocked up pit stops for lots of reasons after tramping round for a few laps at such prolonged high speeds ?Furthermore I quote below......

Bike into crowd would finish the NW200 & possibly road racing in Ireland, riding through it even under yellows would have spread it more?

.....well said :up:

Wasn't David Jeffries killed after a relatively small oil slick, and in the dry ?

I have an idea, perhaps if the same happens again next year we could go to plan B and wheel out a secondary Kamikazi team consisting of our bravest members :eek:

Nearly forgot, regarding NW on BBC download it and save, you can even burn it to DVD.

Edited by joeninety, 23 May 2011 - 19:24.

#16 Ray Oldam

Ray Oldam

• 168 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 21:37

Graham,

I have to say it did seem a tough penalty for such a small error. I think most riders in the same position would have something to say about it. Equally, there have been some serious accidents in pit areas down the years so organisers have to be seen to be controlling the situation. It's good to see Conor Cummins back in action again - and also Ian Hutchinson making an amazing recovery by all accounts too. I didn't know the Cummins accident was in the film, and it was a real shock when it happened. Apologies to fellow cinema-goers for my language at the time!!! :eek:

All the best.

Ray :wave:

#17 picblanc

picblanc

• 12,531 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 21:44

Just thinking about it a bit more, how accurate is a digital bike speedo? & how about if the tyres were slightly differant sizes or have less or more air in them that would alter the exact speed by a small amount? there has to be a small tolerance, & as regards no appeal the ACU always has been a Stalinist dictatorship so no change there! :eek:

#18 Robin127

Robin127

• 508 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 23:37

......& as regards no appeal the ACU always has been a Stalinist dictatorship so no change there! :eek:

Which brings me all the way back to my earlier post (4) :evil:

#19 tonyed

tonyed

• 982 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 06:10

Apparently the oil spill was over a mile long, I can't really blame them for calling it off.

Courtesy of the BBC
Posted Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Not good to spend a year and countless calories of energy organising what is a superb series of events throughout the week, not just on the circuit to have the main focus scuppered by a few litres of spilt oil.

I would have thought though that more than one riders opinion should be sort when dealing with a situation of this nature, however in this case it would probably have made no difference to the outcome.

Conventional means with detergents and power washing would, as is seen from the photo, only exacerbate an already poor situation. However the Marshalls can only use the tools at their disposal, especially when all products used as well as the oil would finish up being washed into the public surface water drains.

I have been able to advise the NW200 organisers of a possible solution to treating safely and quickly hydrocarbon spills.

I wish the whole organising committee well for 2012.

Advertisement

#20 bobness

bobness

• 257 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 13:10

I like Guy Martin as much as the next man, but he did the crime and thus had to do the, literal, time.
How many people were docked time for speeding in the week? That's out of 70+ starters or so in each race each pitting twice each race?
Sorry, but I can't defend him on that one. If you push that close to the edge, you run the risk of going over it. It's harsh, but the rules apply to everyone, not just people with no chance of winning. What if he'd have won by 1/10 of a second? That said, it's nice to see someone who cares that much about it, and isn't afraid to say his piece, whether you agree or not.

The film is superb, and Cummins was a very lucky boy, but GM is the undoubted star. I hope he can cope with whatever "fame" he now has and it doesn't affect his racing. The man is a breath of fresh air.

#21 RC162

RC162

• 332 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 20:12

Why is a sport so full of enthusiasts and dedicated friends of the sport who spend their free time often for no reward ruined by bureaucrats such as Robin relates to, ie fat arse Jim Parker and the likes of. I packed in racing because of the nonsense involved, I was down to ride in the Yamaha Pro-Am series even did a test session at Oulton Park, I was discraced by the attitute from some riders who thrashed and trashed the bikes cos' they were free. I didn't make the series because some "Journalist" with an even fatter "multi purpose" arse put the spoke in. THAT'S why I like Guy Martin.

Yes I can understand your feelings of the 'Large One' I was put forward for a ride in the 1981 Snetterton Pro Am but it was given to another journalist. Ho Hum. I could never get my head round how someone who had his own gravitational field had such a say in who rode in Pro Am. But then again several people did say to me that he liked to get behind young riders and shove them up the grid a bit if he could so he wasn't all bad was he ?