Photo

Off Throttle Threatens The Return Of Flich Throttle, Villeneuve eyes Petrov seat

• Please log in to reply
84 replies to this topic

#1 SeanValen

SeanValen

• 17,023 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 22:39

I typed this over the Monaco weekend in the paddock:

I'll make this quick, I'm typing this from my laptop, I've just ran out of the paddock as quick as I could, I saw Jacques, he was wearing shades and a Bugsy style gangster hat, you wouldn't recongise him, he blends in and out. This is what I've learned and heard:

Renault are missing some major PR, with Kubica not likely coming back until 2011 hopefully, Renault definately is eying PR. Everyone talks about Schumacher's every move, it's PR, Renault are missing some chit chat in the press, and Jacques likes to talk, he's probabley the only other driver then Hamilton who can turn it on with on traction grit aligned with off track outbursts whatever they may be.

The Formula 1 governing body - FIA race director Charlie Whiting has acknowledged that teams using blown diffusers off the throttle run the risk of being the subject of a protest. In advance in the week, the FIA confirmed that they would be banning the use of the off-throttle blown diffuser but decided to delay the execution of the new rule until after the weekend's Spanish GP as it was felt some teams would be unfairly penalised by the ruling. Well it is now past Monaco? What is going on? Bernie has gotten involved and in combination with the rules, has allowed Jacques Villenauve to experiment with Renault's in house f1 simulation, to see how this off throttle could actually benefit Villenauve's Flich Throttle technique, some whispers in the paddock actually think Renault already developed the off throttle exchaust systems, but waited and held off adding it to the car in 2011 after Kubica's accident, just in case, the risk with the FIA back fired. As it stands, Redbull could still lose out if the FIA act this season, which means clean house for 2012, but rather then waiting for Kubica's return, I've heard Renault are to bring a new upgraded technical package named Provisional Frogmore Exhaust Carbonate Gortex type 2, a new constructional material for heated surfaces but until now was fragile to use for Nasa aircrafts, this advanced protype material has now been added to Renault's exhaust system, efficiently handeling the off throttle gases, but because of the fragile nature of the material, Renault believe Jacques flich throttle techniques-may help race reliability over the weekend. Jacques didn't get lightening starts with his clutch control in 2000 from nowhere!

The Flich Throttle will be even better as sensors have been planted on the throttle pedal, it is said, it acts as a extra break pedal without actually being one, it simulates a extra break pedal, without actually being a physical one like the banned Mclaren 1998 one. As the precision of the throttle pedal is aligned with the whole leg to foot flich movement of Jacques the driver, giving much more instant reaction then normal boot to throttle pedal compression. These sensors will practically give Jacques at least a few tenths advantage in the faster corners.

Jacques should be announced the week before Silverstone, he could be a second off intially, but that won't last for long.

And that's about it for my update, and for those new to Flich Throttle, here is my last report:

What do we know so far?
Last time out, recap for new forumers:
My last thread
http://forums.autosp...w...rottle&st=0

We all know that KERS stands for Kinetic Energy Recovery System. The device recovers the kinetic energy that is present in the waste heat created by the car's braking process. It stores that energy and converts it into power that can be called upon to boost acceleration. But what if the acceleration was controlled via a clutch sub component, not a 2nd throttle pedal(like Mclarens 1998 car was which illegal), but a extention of the clutch to just control the KERS acceleration boost... Flich throttle combined with KERS is what Renault is looking into, and with Kubica out, they can experiment more with a proven champion and winner, yes that's Jacques. Alot of people menstioning Kimi, but there is another champion Renault is eying.

I spoke to a friend of Renault's Pat Symonds who had coffee with Jacques.

.JV is preparing his flich throttle technique, you heard it hear first, the flich throttle technique was invented by Senna, and when Senna tested a kart back in 1994, JV was there, they talked, and Senna gave the gille son some tips, JV had a operation on his throttle leg last year, he didn't reveal this to everyone, but he did, this was why he's hasn't returned to f1 for a bit, he's almost recovered, and I expect his speed of 1997 to return, don't be surprised if he outqualfies Petrov in Monaco, the flich throttle technique is gonna be his weapon.

Flich throttle is like tap dancing on the throttle in acceleration and breaking areas, a form of traction control, but with KERS it can work even better.

The last time Jacques was really on it was 2000, remember his demon starts and clutch control. From what I've heard he was injured in 2001, but hid it from everyone like Webber's injury in 2010 which he hid from his team, Jacques hid his injury, but it did effect his speed, he never told anyone. His flich throttle foot movements are not that different from Senna.

We now know why Jacques wasn't announced earlier, as the KERS story was actually a cover for the Off Throttle Exchaust system being implemented for Silverstone! It all makes sense now.

Watch this space...

Advertisement

#2 justin14100

justin14100

• 48 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 22:42

I think the cars have enough grip and all the drivers can get on the throttle so early that Flitch Throttle wont nearly be as effective as when Senna used it.

#3 DanardiF1

DanardiF1

• 10,082 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 22:46

Is JV really after Petrov's seat? Doesn't Vitaly pay for that seat, meaning Nick would be the one most likely to move out for Jacques? Also, is JV still in demand? I doubt it, his ship has sailed from F1 despite his continued interest...

#4 halifaxf1fan

halifaxf1fan

• 4,846 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 22:51

If Renault can get the PFEGC-T2 to work with the JV's flitch throttle technique then they could jump up the order.

Edited by halifaxf1fan, 30 May 2011 - 22:52.

#5 stillOrange

stillOrange

• 950 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 22:52

Cannot wait for more :)
If true I would think Nick's seat is hotter than Vitali's

#6 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,745 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 22:54

Could the flich throttle technique be used to create momentary aerodynamic downforce from the diffuser? Jacques Villeneuve undoubtedly has the skill to time his throttle bursts so that aerodynamic loadings match the bumps on the track surface and engine braking forces that would otherwise unsettle the rear end. If Renault can set up such a system, he could be really competitive. On the bump just after the Tunnel in Monaco such a technique would probably be worth ~0.5s.

Even if off-throttle diffusers are banned, this technique could be used to anticipate the moments under braking when extra grip is required. All it would need would be a lightning fast throttle response from the engine, and we all know the Renault V8 has more low-end torque than rival powerplants. :up:

A strong podium at Silverstone wouldn't be beyond the realms of possibility.

#7 DanardiF1

DanardiF1

• 10,082 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 22:57

If Renault can get the PFEGC-T2 to work with the JV's flitch throttle technique then they could jump up the order.

I wonder if Kubica is being taught the Flich techniques by JV now... and part of the surgery he had on his legs was to adapt them for flich throttle movement?

#8 SeanValen

SeanValen

• 17,023 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 23:12

The PFEGC-T2 I think was designed such a way to have a bolt on set up structure/seat fitting that easily allowed for Jacques size's measurements especially in relation to the pedal foot/leg senser to absorb his flich movements.

Cannot wait for more :)
If true I would think Nick's seat is hotter than Vitali's

I'm starting to think the same, I may have misheard Petrove's name instead of Vitali. Either way won't be too long to find out what happens.

Could the flich throttle technique be used to create momentary aerodynamic downforce from the diffuser? Jacques Villeneuve undoubtedly has the skill to time his throttle bursts so that aerodynamic loadings match the bumps on the track surface and engine braking forces that would otherwise unsettle the rear end. If Renault can set up such a system, he could be really competitive. On the bump just after the Tunnel in Monaco such a technique would probably be worth ~0.5s.

Even if off-throttle diffusers are banned, this technique could be used to anticipate the moments under braking when extra grip is required. All it would need would be a lightning fast throttle response from the engine, and we all know the Renault V8 has more low-end torque than rival powerplants. :up:

A strong podium at Silverstone wouldn't be beyond the realms of possibility.

I never thought about that. Interesting. :smoking:

#9 frp

frp

• 353 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 23:52

The PFEGC-T2 I think was designed such a way to have a bolt on set up structure/seat fitting that easily allowed for Jacques size's measurements especially in relation to the pedal foot/leg senser to absorb his flich movements.

Is this what you're referring to:-

http://www.urbandict....php?term=flich

:confused:

#10 teejay

teejay

• 6,130 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 00:03

I think you have been smelling too many EBD's.

#11 Ali_G

Ali_G

• 32,998 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 00:16

You get a star for this effort Valen.

#12 nada12

nada12

• 460 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 00:25

My guess would be shrooms...

#13 Eff One 2002

Eff One 2002

• 1,132 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 03:21

Jacques should be announced the week before Silverstone, he could be a second off intially, but that won't last for long.

:clap: Oh man it would be simply AWESOME if this were true. Another WDC back in the field and another driver who is an aggressive, racer's racer and a driver who actually has a PERSONALITY. Even though JV is an old man now and is past his best he's still a significantly better bet than a lot of current drivers out there, including Petrov.

#14 slideways

slideways

• 3,395 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 03:34

SV's posts make me want Schumi to retire more than his driving does.

#15 nordschleife

nordschleife

• 940 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 03:36

Is this what you're referring to:-

http://www.urbandict....php?term=flich

:confused:

This would explain the reference to the leg movement, specifically JV's third leg. Even without the aforementioned operation a new avenue of control clearly is available to exploit. Recall McLaren's extra brake pedal and their f-duct, these required driver movements so it makes sense to investigate all possible movements of a driver's body. The performance envelope is two hours so tantric training should be included in order to make this tool a reliable component.

#16 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,745 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 03:39

SV's posts make me want Schumi to retire more than his driving does.

Tbf anything's more enjoyable than another of Sebastian Vettel's victorious radio speeches. ;)

Edited by Risil, 31 May 2011 - 03:39.

#17 scarsurfing

scarsurfing

• 82 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 05:02

Is Verstapen coming back as well? :p

Edited by scarsurfing, 31 May 2011 - 17:05.

#18 DracoN

DracoN

• 901 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 05:15

bad joke

#19 Andrew Hope

Andrew Hope

• 7,911 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 05:30

I'll leave these forums forever if we see Jacques Villeneuve race in Formula One in 2011, and this is coming from someone who was introduced to racing by Villeneuve's win at Indianapolis in 1995 and would give just about anything to see him back.

Advertisement

#20 pinkypants

pinkypants

• 1,510 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 05:35

:lol:

JV 2011 WDC, there's still time.

#21 jals99

jals99

• 1,062 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 05:57

Wonder how some of users take this serious, in february all understood immediately, that it was complete BS :)

#22 RedBaron

RedBaron

• 8,584 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 06:02

SeanValen I think you're trapped in an alternate universe and somehow it's overlapping with ours. Your posts are always a few sandwiches short of a picnic.

#23 Muz Bee

Muz Bee

• 2,956 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 06:56

Yeah nice one Sean. Like Jacques needs getting double the embarassment of Schumie. :rotfl: :rotfl:

Flich away....

#24 CaptnMark

CaptnMark

• 1,026 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 07:28

EBD = engine fart downforce

#25 spacekid

spacekid

• 3,143 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 09:58

Thats all brilliantly bonkers, I love it!

#26 FigJam

FigJam

• 2,034 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 10:08

Yeah nice one Sean. Like Jacques needs getting double the embarassment of Schumie. :rotfl: :rotfl:

Flich away....

Funny thing is Jacques would probably come back and show him up...that's how bad MS is travelling on an F1 level...

and yes this is a great piss take. Sure I've seen this before. :lol: :up:

#27 Red17

Red17

• 3,921 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 10:13

Restating all that was written above, Heidfeld probably has bulletproof contract and Petrov has seat paid.

JV is finished in F1, last time he was here he just moaned about too much speed. Let the man rest.

Edited by Red17, 31 May 2011 - 10:13.

#28 King Six

King Six

• 3,230 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 10:20

You waffle way too much, I couldn't find what point you were trying to make.

#29 fauxhemian

fauxhemian

• 639 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 10:26

Absolute nonsense.

You got the wrong Lotus - the rumours doing the rounds at Monaco were that he was going to swap a bottle of 1952 Dom Pérignon with Jarno Trulli in return for his seat at the Montreal GP.

I think when you add this to the fact that JV was driving a Chaterham 7 around Mondello Park with an inscruitable grin on Sunday last, the facts are clear.

#30 AvranaKern

AvranaKern

• 6,409 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 10:41

Renault paving the way for JV?

Boullier says Heidfeld must improve

#31 Desdirodeabike

Desdirodeabike

• 1,953 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 10:59

Wow. That is some post. But you know what? I like it and hope its true. Blipping the throttle I have heard of but flich? Never heard of that expression before but sounds cool :kiss:
I have big doubts but stranger things have happened. And its not like JV is going to do worse than Heidfeld at the moment :rolleyes:

SeanValen I think you're trapped in an alternate universe and somehow it's overlapping with ours. Your posts are always a few sandwiches short of a picnic.

Next chance I get, I'm using that! :lol:

#32 pUs

pUs

• 2,965 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 11:06

Aaah, the return of the Flich Throttle technique :lol: :up: :up: :up: :smoking: As invented by the famous Ayrton Senna.

:up: :up: :up: :up: EXCELLENT :smoking:

"JV is preparing his flich throttle technique, you heard it hear first, the flich throttle technique was invented by Senna, and when Senna tested a kart, JV was there, they talked, and Senna gave the gille son some tips, JV had a operation on his throttle leg last year, he didn't reveal this to everyone, but he did, this was why he's been slow, he's almost recovered, and I expect his speed of 1997 to return, don't be surprised if he outqualfies Massa in Monaco, the flich throttle technique is gonna be his weapon. "

Edited by pUs, 31 May 2011 - 11:10.

#33 PoleMan

PoleMan

• 1,563 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 12:18

Cetainly would be great to see Villeneuve's colorful helmet once again gracing the Grand Prix grid. It's still just speculation, but one that I'm hoping actually comes to fruition. The comments from Boullier expressing his disappointment in Heidfeld (frankly, I too thought he'd be performing better), just might be the opening that allows NH to be replaced come Silverstone. Who would have believed we'd hear that Heidfeld needs to at least get to a similar pace as Vitaly? :confused: Anyway, Nick needs to up his game or Bruno Senna or JV should be given the opportunity.

Edited by PoleMan, 31 May 2011 - 12:20.

#34 R2D2

R2D2

• 780 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 12:36

2005:

http://forums.autosp...44#entry2016744

"I expect his speed of 1997 to return, don't be surprised if he outqualfies Massa in Monaco, the flich throttle technique is gonna be his weapon."

#35 glorius&victorius

glorius&victorius

• 4,327 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 12:38

Huh???

#36 Owen

Owen

• 13,178 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 12:40

Drugs. Just say no.

#37 spacekid

spacekid

• 3,143 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 12:46

Drugs. Just say no.

Nah, I say give him more! I like Seans posts on this, its a sort of alternative reality thing.

I'm not quite sure what the point of it all is, but I found it an entertaining read. Its the sort of thing that could almost sort kinda nearly be believable the first time you look at it, then burst out laughing. Its inspired. I also love how many people are getting taken in by this!

#38 SpeedRacer`

SpeedRacer`

• 1,428 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 15:13

2005:

http://forums.autosp...44#entry2016744

"I expect his speed of 1997 to return, don't be surprised if he outqualfies Massa in Monaco, the flich throttle technique is gonna be his weapon."

lol

Owned.

Cool story bro, I would love JV to come back but that story definitely needed more dragons.

#39 wingwalker

wingwalker

• 7,238 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 18:40

Entertaining.

Advertisement

#40 MadYarpen

MadYarpen

• 4,763 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 20:17

I want your dealer to call me

#41 Bloggsworth

Bloggsworth

• 9,397 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 21:55

The only reason for Renault to employ Villeneuve is because his name sounds French, he wasn't that good then, he'd be useless now.

#42 swerved

swerved

• 3,895 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 22:23

This would explain the reference to the leg movement, specifically JV's third leg. Even without the aforementioned operation a new avenue of control clearly is available to exploit. Recall McLaren's extra brake pedal and their f-duct, these required driver movements so it makes sense to investigate all possible movements of a driver's body. The performance envelope is two hours so tantric training should be included in order to make this tool a reliable component.

Jacques le Peg ? diddle diddle diddle de..

#43 frp

frp

• 353 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 22:33

Ah, yes. The dick-duct.

#44 THE "driverider"

THE "driverider"

• 804 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 22:42

Wasn't Hakkinen in the Mercedes paddock? Could it be?

#45 bigginge

bigginge

• 558 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 07:01

I can't work out if this is this meant to be serious? I doubt there's a grain of truth or insight in the whole thing, so I have to concur with the other posters - what crack are you on?!?

#46 Tsarwash

Tsarwash

• 13,725 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 08:56

I love this thread. :)

#47 Zatoichi

Zatoichi

• 55 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 11:53

Posted Image

"There is a fifth dimension beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge.
This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call the Twilight Zone."

#48 Owen

Owen

• 13,178 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 11:55

Should this be closed or left open to see what kind of parallel reality is uncovered?

Edited by Owen, 01 June 2011 - 11:55.

#49 Kub

Kub

• 116 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 00:04

Posting in this historic thread.

#50 SeanValen

SeanValen

• 17,023 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 00:32

Renault paving the way for JV?

Boullier says Heidfeld must improve

Some background on Renault's upcoming technical update package The Provisional Frogmore Exhaust Carbonate Gortex type 2:

Foam debris. A piece of insulation foam that broke away from the external tank of the Columbia space shuttle during launch struck the shuttle's wing and compromised its integrity, preventing it from withstanding the intense heat (1,500 degrees Celsius) of re-entry.

http://newyork.ibtim...e-endeavour.htm

So that foam debris Nasa used to withstand intense heat is exactly what they will be using on Renault's new exhaust system, they have a plan if off throttle gases are banned by the FIA, as they have devised a two way solution banker meaning it'll still be a effective exhaust if off throttle gases are banned by the FIA. Think of it as a 2 sandwich in one pack deal, your buying the materials anyway, and one of the sandwiches is bound to get eaten. The Packlunch Package, drink=driver, sandwich=car

Provisional Frogmore Exhaust Carbonate Gortex type 2. It's named frogmore as initially a frog was on the foam debris that was left and found by John Pepper Gortex Junior-a Nasa employee. The Renault technical crew pioneered the initial communication links with Nasa which may prove to be the ground breaking move along with the heat sensors on Nasa's craft and technology, the same sensors to be implemented on Villeneauve's Renault throttle pedal in combination with all whole boot to pedal flich and instant nerve reaction as Ayrton Senna once discussed with Jacques, but never did Ayrton know that the flich throttle tap on the pedal would be so tuned into heat sensor and movement technology on the most cutting edge technology available these days. Times have moved on since Ayrton talked to Jacques about the flich throttle movements. Anyone remember A1 Ring 2000? Jacques's speed wasn't just due to a three stopper, he had set up the BAR Honda in specific gear ratios for his throttle flich technique, that the team never agreed upon until after they saw his performance. It's a pitty the designers and team in general never got the car into a winning threat. Jacques that year was getting lightening starts, I think it was his last best season in f1, and it was the last team that actually gave him the greenlight to practice flich throttle, but only Renault until now have actually taken it really seriously into the car design, so from Silverstone onwards, I expect something quite groundbreaking.

:smoking:

:up:

Edited by SeanValen, 02 June 2011 - 00:55.