Photo

'Competition Press & Auto Week' and 'Competition Press'

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#1 terry mcgrath

terry mcgrath

• 650 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 10:34

I have most of the US magazines but have no copies of the newspaper "Competition Press & Auto Week" which possibly commenced as "COMPETITION PRESS" JULY 16 1958 and there is a copy for sale on EBAY at present #200423780010 of this issue described as INTRODUCTORY ISSUE.
Are any readers familiar with this newspaper or have a set. How good is it for sports cars racing etc and what is it like for adds for sports and race cars?.
Are there any sources of scans of it or photocopies.
terry

Advertisement

#2 terry mcgrath

terry mcgrath

• 650 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 16:38

brian
thanks for the info I am ideally chasing copies 1958 to say 1965 of photocopies would suffice if anyone has a set who can copy them happy to pay
terry

#3 JB Miltonian

JB Miltonian

• 548 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 17:58

I have most of the issues from January 28, 1961 ("Brabham to Enter Indy 500") up to about 1982. My first issue from 1961 is noted as Volume 6, Number 2. It was printed twice monthly at that time, and didn't become a weekly until September 1965.

Copying a collection would be a HUGE undertaking.

#4 fbarrett

fbarrett

• 1,170 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 18:27

Friends:

I recall first subscribing to Competition Press & Autoweek in about 1968, long before it became AutoWeek. The immediacy of the news it carried then can only be compared to what we now enjoy on the internet: no waiting months for race coverage in the usual magazines. I saved them all and still subscribe. I've bought quite a few back issues and just missed out on a complete early set but only because Pete Lyons got to it first, so I wasn't unhappy to help him.

A few years ago, when AutoWeek celebrated its 50th anniversary, it sheepishly had to ask readers if they could supply copies of certain issues. Back issues are unusually difficult to find, maybe because most readers simply threw them away. There were too many to keep, the paper became delicate as it aged, and they took up a lot of shelf space (I just counted 32 ft here). But they offered unusually deep coverage of U.S. sports car racing. Its only rival was Chris Economaki's National Speed Sport News, but that weekly mainly covered NASCAR, Indy cars, midgets, and other typical U.S. activity.

Lately, AutoWeek has become bi-weekly (unfortunately at no decrease in subscription rates), and its coverage has shifted toward new cars, but it still covers competition reasonably well. Still, thanks to Leon Mandel, Denise McCluggage, Pete Lyons, and hundreds of other contributors, there is nothing so fascinating as going back and reading those 1960s issues!

Frank

Edited by fbarrett, 17 July 2011 - 18:28.

#5 E1pix

E1pix

• 23,444 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 18:44

.... issues are unusually difficult to find, maybe because most readers simply threw them away. There were too many to keep, the paper became delicate as it aged, and they took up a lot of shelf space (I just counted 32 ft here). But they offered unusually deep coverage of U.S. sports car racing. Its only rival was Chris Economaki's National Speed Sport News, but that weekly mainly covered NASCAR, Indy cars, midgets, and other typical U.S. activity.
Frank

Agreed, and even in the '70s as a punky kid I realized people threw away Autoweek but kept other magazines. It was early in the recycling era, and people equated Autoweek to throw-away newspapers.

To answer the Poster here, in my opinion it was by far the best source for racing news in its day, especially road racing! National Speed Sport News was more geared to oval racing overall.

I have every issue from 1971 through 1980 or so. Some are a bit rough, as a kid I read every word and looked forward to every issue. It was great, and still is to page though now — maybe even better now.

Happy Hunting!

#6 J. Scott Morris

J. Scott Morris

• 38 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 21:46

Hello Terry;

Over several years, Bob Norton scanned old racing periodicals and made pdf files. He did make them available on CD, but then found a web site, Box.net, where he could make the files available for free download. He found this easier than burning and mailing the CDs! Unfortunately, the site Bob Norton used limits downloads to 50 GB per month. As a result, if it is maxed out when you try, you have to come back later. As I understand it, the site’s ‘counter’ is reset near the end of each month or early in the next month. Fortunately, I was able to get all the files downloaded onto my computer in October 2007; the files include the following:

Competition Press: published 7-16-1958 through ???? [scanned copies with gaps to 11-28-1970]; No longer available at: http://www.box.net/public/c5bdnu4srq [2011-07-17]

Motor Sports World: published 6/15/1951 through 11/14/1952; covers various motor sports, but focus is with automobile racing; available at: http://www.box.net/public/72t6qudovc

MotoRacing: published 10/21/1955 through 1/17/1964; focus on southern California racing, but with decent coverage of Indy and international racing; available at: http://www.box.net/public/iboyi76hqk

West Coast Sports Car Journal; club publication for the California Sports Car Club (CSCC); scanned 2/1955 through 5/1960 with gaps; available at: http://www.box.net/public/khciz7244d

Sadly, Bob Norton passed away in 2006 but, except for Competition Press, the files still reside on Box.net.

Allen Brown, who operates OldRacingCars. com [ http://www.oldracingcars.com ], has arranged to make the files available. He has all the files loaded onto ORC but has not publicised the URL as these huge files would be a considerable strain on his servers. Plus, there may be copyright issues. I suggest you contact Allen Brown through his website by email and explain why you seek the files.

First however, you should check out these two threads on Atlas 1/Autosport - The Nostalgia Forum
http://forums.autosp...;threadid=89025
http://forums.autosp...;threadid=78213

Have Fun !!

--Scott Morris; Simcoe, Ontario, Canada -Keep Smiling, :) Murphy Lives

#7 RA Historian

RA Historian

• 3,833 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 22:05

To answer the initial question; yes, CP was absolutely invaluable! It started in 1958 as stated, went weekly from twice a month in Sept. 1965 and went from a newspaper like tabloid to a slick paper magazine sometime in the mid 1980s.

I have every copy up until the 1980s. I still refer to them for reference. But for me, or anyone else who has a set, to copy them, well, speaking for myself, it is way too much of a task. Honestly, I have neither the time nor the desire to do so.

I subscribed to it at the start because, as others have posted, there simply was nothing of a timely nature covering our sport. Road & Track, back then was fine, with all GP and WC sports car races covered, as well as most major US races, but being a monthly, one had to wait three months to get the results. Competition Press came along, and eureka! Race reports and info one to two weeks after they happened! As a young lad just getting addicted to racing, this was a Godsend. All important races, F-1, F-2, SCCA Nationals, USAC races, even virtually all SCCA Regionals were reported here. Plus all the latest on cars, drivers, teams, races, developments, and so forth. Add to that regular columns covering different sections of the country, and the reader was really in the know. Sadly, there is nothing like that anymore.

Classified ads? Oh yes, a page or so at the start growing to several pages as the years went by. However, it makes one cry to go back to those early classifieds and see the ridiculously cheap prices being asked for great cars, both racing and for the road.

In short, at the time there was nothing better, not even near as good.

As E1Pix mentions, twice a month I would eagerly wait for the mail to come to bring me my latest fix. When the mail was late, or the copy delayed, DAMN!

Tom

#8 fbarrett

fbarrett

• 1,170 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 23:57

Unfortunately, it currently seems unlikely that AutoWeek back issues will be digitized. A few years ago, about the time of its 50th anniversary, I suggested such to Dutch Mandel. He responded that Crain Communications had considered doing so, but the company lawyers were uncomfortable, since most of their contributors had provided material on the basis of one-time use, and acquiring the rights to reproduce the material again seemed impractical.

Edited by fbarrett, 17 July 2011 - 23:58.

#9 MWiklund

MWiklund

• 16 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 00:45

I started buying CP in 1967 at Ed Zinks shop in Knoxville Tn. It was a good opportunity to get the rag and look around the shop a little. Sure they were FVs but they were real race cars. After that I became a longtime subscriber as this was the only way to get timely race reports. I became also a fan of Pete Lyons through CP. Went on to get photog credentials to Road Atlanta for F5000s and CanAm races. It was a great time and Competition Press was a very special part of it.

#10 E1pix

E1pix

• 23,444 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 04:45

In short, at the time there was nothing better, not even near as good.

Tom

Yep.

#11 E1pix

E1pix

• 23,444 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 04:56

Unfortunately, it currently seems unlikely that AutoWeek back issues will be digitized. A few years ago, about the time of its 50th anniversary, I suggested such to Dutch Mandel. He responded that Crain Communications had considered doing so, but the company lawyers were uncomfortable, since most of their contributors had provided material on the basis of one-time use, and acquiring the rights to reproduce the material again seemed impractical.

I sell one-time rights in 90% of my photo and literary work, so can respect this from a contributor point of view, and have dealt with it for 36 years. Nearly my entire living relies on rights and its income.

Second-guessing if I may, it almost strikes me as the lawyers not doing sufficient homework, i.e., funding for that research was not given. At some point a Statute of Limitations should come into play. I don't know a timeline for this, but if this dilemma were standard then no archives would/could be reproduced — and that seems unlikely. To err on the side of the contributors is wise, however.

So far as the physical task of scanning every issue, this, too is not that overwhelming. Properly done, though I'm not a repro shop, I myself could easily do several issues per hour. I know we're discussing over 1,000 issues to scan, but not unreasonable in a proper workflow. But it wouldn't be cheap, so my guess is cost vs. benefit is a bigger part of the equation in these decisions.

Too bad, Autoweek should be a permanent reference on the web. An aside, and with no disrespect intended, scanning copyrighted matter for distribution without permission is done everyday, but is utterly disrespectful of copyright holders. This includes the web if the site generates profits in any manner, related or unrelated. If scanned from any copyright holders' work, sans permission, for web distribution and profit in any way, this is stealing and nothing less. This is law, not my opinion. Does an artist's work become fair public domain just because we can scan it? No.

Autoweek was the best racing rag in its time and place, no question. But mainly because of the dedication of its contributors.

Edited by E1pix, 18 July 2011 - 07:26.

#12 motorsporthistoryaddict

motorsporthistoryaddict

• 16 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 19:22

Hello Terry;

Over several years, Bob Norton scanned old racing periodicals and made pdf files. He did make them available on CD, but then found a web site, Box.net, where he could make the files available for free download. He found this easier than burning and mailing the CDs! Unfortunately, the site Bob Norton used limits downloads to 50 GB per month. As a result, if it is maxed out when you try, you have to come back later. As I understand it, the site’s ‘counter’ is reset near the end of each month or early in the next month. Fortunately, I was able to get all the files downloaded onto my computer in October 2007; the files include the following:

Competition Press: published 7-16-1958 through ???? [scanned copies with gaps to 11-28-1970]; No longer available at: http://www.box.net/public/c5bdnu4srq [2011-07-17]

Motor Sports World: published 6/15/1951 through 11/14/1952; covers various motor sports, but focus is with automobile racing; available at: http://www.box.net/public/72t6qudovc

MotoRacing: published 10/21/1955 through 1/17/1964; focus on southern California racing, but with decent coverage of Indy and international racing; available at: http://www.box.net/public/iboyi76hqk

West Coast Sports Car Journal; club publication for the California Sports Car Club (CSCC); scanned 2/1955 through 5/1960 with gaps; available at: http://www.box.net/public/khciz7244d

Sadly, Bob Norton passed away in 2006 but, except for Competition Press, the files still reside on Box.net.

Allen Brown, who operates OldRacingCars. com [ http://www.oldracingcars.com ], has arranged to make the files available. He has all the files loaded onto ORC but has not publicised the URL as these huge files would be a considerable strain on his servers. Plus, there may be copyright issues. I suggest you contact Allen Brown through his website by email and explain why you seek the files.

First however, you should check out these two threads on Atlas 1/Autosport - The Nostalgia Forum
http://forums.autosp...;threadid=89025
http://forums.autosp...;threadid=78213

Have Fun !!

--Scott Morris; Simcoe, Ontario, Canada -Keep Smiling, :) Murphy Lives

I've found it's still possible to access Bob Norton's Competition Press & Autoweek scans online without going through www.oldracingcars.com.
The link is ftp://91.121.135.76/digitalarchives/Magazines/CP&A.

-- Craig

#13 fbarrett

fbarrett

• 1,170 posts

Posted 19 July 2011 - 00:23

E1pix:

As a former magazine editor/publisher, I fully agree. We would buy one-time use because we couldn't afford exclusive use, but at least that freed contributors to sell their work elsewhere later for more. Once in a while some copyright-ignorant person on the internet would steal and reproduce entire articles on their web site, and we always pursued them for copyright violations. Usually a strong letter was enough to do the job. We also did reprints ourselves but always compensated the original contributors again, even the layout guys.

Perhaps the AutoWeek marketing folks told Dutch that the market was not lucrative enough to justify the legal and production efforts of digitizing all those back issues, but avid AutoWeek readers and collectors would disagree. I think every magazine has some obligation to attempt to maintain access to past material in some form, but in these tight-budget days for magazines, not every beancounter or publisher would agree. I recall that in the Old Daze a microfilm outfit in Ann Arbor, Michigan, offered reprints of articles to magazine readers, and since the internet's permanence is way lower than paper magazines, perhaps there's a business model here for someone who could similarly digitize and market material for magazines.

Frank

Edited by fbarrett, 19 July 2011 - 00:35.

#14 E1pix

E1pix

• 23,444 posts

Posted 19 July 2011 - 03:37

Hello, Frank:

Thanks for recognizing and honoring copyright. That's pretty rare in these days of "All is Public Domain" mentality, I have several horror stories and myself have pursued infringements and won awards in cases that were disrespectful and intentional. If totally accidental, I too have had success with a strong letter as you have.

We should have an omelette at Davies sometime.... only you will know where that is. :)

#15 Repco22

Repco22

• 975 posts

Posted 19 July 2011 - 04:11

Hello, Frank:

Thanks for recognizing and honoring copyright. That's pretty rare in these days of "All is Public Domain" mentality, I have several horror stories and myself have pursued infringements and won awards in cases that were disrespectful and intentional. If totally accidental, I too have had success with a strong letter as you have.

We should have an omelette at Davies sometime.... only you will know where that is. :)

Hello E1! Good to know you've had some success in this area. "Scruples" is just not in the vocabulary of some people---in our country too. In fact I know of one or two who make a living out of being unscrupulous in the field under discussion and motor racing related areas. :smoking: :down:
BTW. "Route 66" goes in the mail today.

#16 E1pix

E1pix

• 23,444 posts

Posted 19 July 2011 - 04:30

Hello E1! Good to know you've had some success in this area. "Scruples" is just not in the vocabulary of some people---in our country too. In fact I know of one or two who make a living out of being unscrupulous in the field under discussion and motor racing related areas. :smoking: :down:
BTW. "Route 66" goes in the mail today.

Re: Infringers making a living? No Way! Man, does that ever raise my ire!

Re: Route 66 in the mail? No Way! Man, does that ever blaze my fire!

You're too cool, Rod, Thank You, Thank You!!! :up: :up: :up:

You made my day.... my birthday, no less!

Edited by E1pix, 19 July 2011 - 04:34.

#17 Repco22

Repco22

• 975 posts

Posted 19 July 2011 - 04:44

Re: Infringers making a living? No Way! Man, does that ever raise my ire!

Re: Route 66 in the mail? No Way! Man, does that ever blaze my fire!

You're too cool, Rod, Thank You, Thank You!!! :up: :up: :up:

You made my day.... my birthday, no less!

Infringement is only a part of the repertoire I was referring to!
Happy Birthday E1! Have a great day! :clap:

#18 E1pix

E1pix

• 23,444 posts

Posted 19 July 2011 - 05:17

Infringement is only a part of the repertoire I was referring to!
Happy Birthday E1! Have a great day! :clap:

I must inquire offline about the repertoire you're referring to.... in Western style, they deserve a rope.

Thank You again, Rod! 44 minutes of B-day officialdom left, finished in fine style Thanks to You! :wave:

My bride is also quite moved, and she's mostly what I care about. I owe you one, Mate!

Edited by E1pix, 19 July 2011 - 05:19.

#19 Allen Brown

Allen Brown

• 5,539 posts

Posted 19 July 2011 - 09:55

An aside, and with no disrespect intended, scanning copyrighted matter for distribution without permission is done everyday, but is utterly disrespectful of copyright holders. This includes the web if the site generates profits in any manner, related or unrelated. If scanned from any copyright holders' work, sans permission, for web distribution and profit in any way, this is stealing and nothing less. This is law, not my opinion. Does an artist's work become fair public domain just because we can scan it? No.

This is why I have been very wary about hosting Bob's scans. My understanding is that he had some sort of permission but I don't know exactly what deal he had done with Autoweek. So by controlling access and only giving the URL to people who are doing proper research, I should be covered under "Fair Use". The guy who has posted such a lot of copyright material on the link mentioned above is taking a huge legal risk.

Advertisement

#20 Jack-the-Lad

Jack-the-Lad

• 2,466 posts

Posted 19 July 2011 - 15:08

My parents faithfully sent every issue to me when I was in Vietnam (1969-70). Even before that I was a subscriber in college. I let my subscription lapse about ten years ago. The magazine had changed and really didn't address my interests any longer, and the Web more than made up for the lack of the printed page, at least in the case of Autoweek.

Jack.

#21 E1pix

E1pix

• 23,444 posts

Posted 19 July 2011 - 16:31

This is why I have been very wary about hosting Bob's scans. My understanding is that he had some sort of permission but I don't know exactly what deal he had done with Autoweek. So by controlling access and only giving the URL to people who are doing proper research, I should be covered under "Fair Use". The guy who has posted such a lot of copyright material on the link mentioned above is taking a huge legal risk.

No finger pointing at you, Allen. I would suspect you would be covered under Fair Use, and Yes, anyone doing the actual scans for public distribution is doing so under significant risk. The law here in the States, regarding federally-copyrighted works, is up to $100,000 per infringement.

#22 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 19 July 2011 - 17:19

So does each issue count as one infringement, or the whole lot?

#23 E1pix

E1pix

• 23,444 posts

Posted 19 July 2011 - 17:26

In the case of photography, each photograph. I would suspect that in published works, each issue is considered a separate infringement.

My understanding is that high-monetary awards can be collected only if profits were made — directly or indirectly. BUT, "Personal Use" can be a gray area, and thus prudent to ask the copyright holder. If I send someone a scanned image for review of print purchase, and they print it for themselves instead of buying the print, I personally would pursue it gracefully. My work is not theirs.

The easy solution reflects what a photographer friend of mine puts on all his materials.... "All Rights Reserved - Get Permission." The problem has become so significant for those in the arts that when one catches an infringement, vigorous pursuit is imminent or should be — to educate the public if nothing else.

In a case of posting a printed material here, only for demonstration, I don't think that's a problem nor disrespectful at all. Personally, if of my works, I'd call it "free advertising."

Copyright infringement has also dramatically affected the music business, and that, too is a damned shame. Copyright issues have taken the careers of many people who've devoted their lives to their art.

Edited by E1pix, 19 July 2011 - 17:42.

#24 Jim Thurman

Jim Thurman

• 7,257 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 17:17

Autoweek went so far as to announce plans to scan issues and release them on CD for their 50th Anniversary, only to let it pass without further comment. Sad as it truly is essential for research. Wonder if anyone could convince them to proceed with disks for research purposes and provide them to places such as the IMRRC at Watkins Glen.

If attorneys or marketing were involved, it shows their normal short-sightedness and a numbers only approach instead of thinking of the greater good.

CP&A truly needs to be on CD. Has anyone had any reply from Dutch Mandel on this? Perhaps we all should make this appeal to him.

I second what Tom wrote about CP&A. In addition, the writers and columnists were able to interject a great deal of humor into their work. Some brilliantly funny comments found their way into race reports without detracting from the detail or account in the slightest.

#25 RA Historian

RA Historian

• 3,833 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 17:28

the writers and columnists were able to interject a great deal of humor into their work. Some brilliantly funny comments found their way into race reports without detracting from the detail or account in the slightest.

Yes indeed. After all, their continental writer in the early 1960s was Henry Manney, who was one of the best, no question. He wrote under the nom de plume of H.B. Gentilhomme, for some reason long lost in time. But the Manneyisms came through" "... spun like the button on a privy door"; "Moss in his Lotus coming through the field stuck out rather like a silver dollar in a cow pie..." etc.

Dic Van der Feen, a very good writer, covered the midwest for CP. In August, 1960, there was an SCCA National held at the Kentucky Fair Grounds in Louisville, Ky. Van der Feen wrote the entire article as if it were a horse race. "Penske in Areskay comes up alongside Holbert who has Aresixty on the rail"; "Pabst was hindered by a locking front forelock on his steed". and so forth. Brilliant.

Tom

#26 EmilioC

EmilioC

• 5 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 01:35

I have most of the US magazines but have no copies of the newspaper "Competition Press & Auto Week" which possibly commenced as "COMPETITION PRESS" JULY 16 1958 and there is a copy for sale on EBAY at present #200423780010 of this issue described as INTRODUCTORY ISSUE.
Are any readers familiar with this newspaper or have a set. How good is it for sports cars racing etc and what is it like for adds for sports and race cars?.
terry

Hey there! I am new autosport fan from Mexico and Lotus Lover. would anyone have a clue where to find Competition Press 1966 copies?
thanks so much
Emilio

#27 grandprix61

grandprix61

• 153 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 03:29

I've seen sources that say July 16, 1958 is the first issue, but I'm looking at the April 13, 1968 issue which is "Vol. 18, No. 13". That doesn't quite add up.

I'm very familiar with the magazine. Dad started a subscription for my brother & I in late 1967-early 1968 and we would anxiously await it's arrival in the mail each week. To me, it was my racing bible, but I was only 10-11 years old at the time, so it was like the heavens had opened up with the information on my favorite sport that I couldn't find anywhere else. I had no idea about Autosport at that time.

I've got alot of the issues, but nowhere close to a full set. As the newsprint issues descended into a slick magazine format, the importance of their focus changed from racing oriented to car industry orientation and I eventually said enough. On Track became my favorite at that point.

It was very good in it's coverage of all of the major categories. It usually had about 10 pages of classifieds, in fact we bought our 1971 Ferrari 365 GTB/4 (Daytona) from an ad in the paper. The ads ranged from accessories, minatures, books, clubs, competition cars, driving schools, engines, formula cars, go-karts, touring cars, parts, collector cars, plus many other listings.

I've scanned the following cover, I still remember the excitement of seeing this beautiful, unique machine in photo and eagerly awaiting the opportunity to see the car in person in another month at the Speedway. Sadly, Jim Clark was already gone when this arrived. I remember it like is was yesterday.

Posted Image

I don't know if anyone has taken up the challenge of scanning each issue - I'd like to see that source myself. It was generally about 30-40 pages per issue.

Has anyone mentioned Denise McCluggage who I believe started Competition Press. I think I started as a photographer for the paper in 1959. I wrote to Denise and sent her some prints. Denise was happy to have me cover the races in the midwest and it was my ticket to cover Watkins Glen, Indy, etc.
I think I have remains of a 1961 issue and I will search and scan what is left of it. Sometime in the early sixties I think Road and Track purchased it and Jim Crow and others on the west coast did the writing. Anyone know if Jim is still around. I used to send my stuff out to him. It was a great publication and the bible for all to get the info and a lot of inside stuff. Really missed it when it went to a slick pub. Regards, Ron

#28 JB Miltonian

JB Miltonian

• 548 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 03:36

I would think it would be very, very difficult to find good copies of Competition Press from 1966. Very difficult indeed. That being said, I have duplicate copies of 46 of the 52 issues printed that year. It would take a pretty hefty offer to get me to part with them. That particular stack of magazines weighs about 6 pounds, so postage to Mexico wouldn't be cheap.

1966 is special to you?

#29 raceannouncer2003

raceannouncer2003

• 2,944 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 05:53

Hey there! I am new autosport fan from Mexico and Lotus Lover. would anyone have a clue where to find Competition Press 1966 copies?
thanks so much
Emilio

Hi
There is link to some of the 1966 copies at post 13 above.
Vince H.

#30 J. Scott Morris

J. Scott Morris

• 38 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 13:40

I am 99.9% sure that the Competition Press issue dated June 16, 1958 is the first issue.

The editor, Don Stewart, wrote in ‘Through The Windscreen’ on page 2 of the June 16, 1958 issue of Competition Press in an article titled ‘This Is Your Introduction To Competition Press’ outlines the rational and efforts made to create an new motor sport publication on a subscription basis. Near the bottom of the editorial, he makes the following statement: “… after we felt we had put together the most accurate, informative journal yet offered the enthusiast, we published this first issue.”

If anyone wants a pdf version of this issue, see response #13 above

--Scott Morris, Simcoe, Ontario, Canada

#31 RA Historian

RA Historian

• 3,833 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 14:55

Has anyone mentioned Denise McCluggage who I believe started Competition Press. I think I started as a photographer for the paper in 1959. I wrote to Denise and sent her some prints. Denise was happy to have me cover the races in the midwest and it was my ticket to cover Watkins Glen, Indy, etc.
I think I have remains of a 1961 issue and I will search and scan what is left of it. Sometime in the early sixties I think Road and Track purchased it and Jim Crow and others on the west coast did the writing. Anyone know if Jim is still around. I used to send my stuff out to him. It was a great publication and the bible for all to get the info and a lot of inside stuff. Really missed it when it went to a slick pub. Regards, Ron

I have copies of all CPs from that first issue in June, 1958, through the early 1980s, when I dropped my sub for a time as I felt the quality had dropped drastically during the time Bob Irvin was editor. Resumed when Leon Mandel came back, c1986. Having said that, it would take a very hefty offer indeed for me to part with them.

Denise McCluggage was very much a part of the early years, and she has been a contributor off and on right up to the present.

Road & Track purchased CP in the latter part of 1959, and published it until Sept. 1963 when they sold it to a group led by Bill Finefrock. Today it is owned by the Crain Publication group. Jim Crow did most of the writing in the Road & Track years, both under his own name and the nom de plume of "J.G. Anthony". Contributing writers included Henry Manney, initially as "H.B. Gentilhomme", Dic Van der Feen, Art Peck, Bill Maloney, Ken Miles, Denise McCluggage, and many others. Jim Crow sadly left us many years ago.

Tom

#32 grandprix61

grandprix61

• 153 posts

Posted 13 August 2011 - 00:38

I have copies of all CPs from that first issue in June, 1958, through the early 1980s, when I dropped my sub for a time as I felt the quality had dropped drastically during the time Bob Irvin was editor. Resumed when Leon Mandel came back, c1986. Having said that, it would take a very hefty offer indeed for me to part with them.

Denise McCluggage was very much a part of the early years, and she has been a contributor off and on right up to the present.

Road & Track purchased CP in the latter part of 1959, and published it until Sept. 1963 when they sold it to a group led by Bill Finefrock. Today it is owned by the Crain Publication group. Jim Crow did most of the writing in the Road & Track years, both under his own name and the nom de plume of "J.G. Anthony". Contributing writers included Henry Manney, initially as "H.B. Gentilhomme", Dic Van der Feen, Art Peck, Bill Maloney, Ken Miles, Denise McCluggage, and many others. Jim Crow sadly left us many years ago.

Tom

Tom: Bill Maloney and I shared writing "From the Midwest" starting n 62. Bill and I had dinner at the Glen during the Formula One weekend with the fellows from Road and Track. At that time it was agreed we would share the writing. here is a copy of the 1961 issue that I was covering and had several photographs in. A great time to be there. Sorry about the size of the scan but I could not get the whole cover in there. Ron Posted Image

#33 grandprix61

grandprix61

• 153 posts

Posted 13 August 2011 - 00:45

terry

Here is an ad from 1961. I should have bough a couple of those cars at those prices. Wow. Ron
Posted Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

#34 grandprix61

grandprix61

• 153 posts

Posted 13 August 2011 - 00:48

Tom: Bill Maloney and I shared writing "From the Midwest" starting n 62. Bill and I had dinner at the Glen during the Formula One weekend with the fellows from Road and Track. At that time it was agreed we would share the writing. here is a copy of the 1961 issue that I was covering and had several photographs in. A great time to be there. Sorry about the size of the scan but I could not get the whole cover in there. Ron Posted Image

Hope this is a little better. Ron
Posted Image

#35 grandprix61

grandprix61

• 153 posts

Posted 13 August 2011 - 00:50

Hope this is a little better. Ron
Posted Image

here is the bottom of the cover. Ron
Posted Image

#36 RA Historian

RA Historian

• 3,833 posts

Posted 13 August 2011 - 00:55

Here is an ad from 1961. I should have bough a couple of those cars at those prices. Wow. Ron
Posted Image

Absolutely astounding, isn't it? If only...

Tom

#37 Frank S

Frank S

• 2,162 posts

Posted 13 August 2011 - 02:37

You mean ... ?

What cost $4000 in 1963 would cost $28172.36 in 2010.

Also, if you were to buy exactly the same products in 2010 and 1963,
they would cost you $4000 and $570.18 respectively.

http://www.westegg.c...lation/infl.cgi

#38 grandprix61

grandprix61

• 153 posts

Posted 13 August 2011 - 02:47

As my Dad & I have discussed, it was as hard for him to come up with $1,000 then as it would be to come up with $100,000 now. I mean, new Rolls Royce's and Ferrari's for $12 - $14K? My grandparent's paid $4,000 ish for their new split window Corvette in 1963, these figures represent lot of money in that time.

edit: Ron - Thanks for sharing the 1961 USGP issue front page. Nice find. :up:

Thanks Brian: I wish I would have kept more of them. I don't want to tell you how much I made a week in 1961, Most of us for that matter. I had a friend(Frank Rand III) offer me a chance to buy his Ferrari in the mid 60's and I think we bought our first house for less. Of course it was a very nice racing model and it is still around today. I will attach a photo of it. I did a photo shoot for Florsheim shoes and Frank used the car and did the driving. A whole series of shots are on the Ferrari page on www.classicvintagemotorsports.com Ron

#39 grandprix61

grandprix61

• 153 posts

Posted 13 August 2011 - 02:55

Thanks Brian: I wish I would have kept more of them. I don't want to tell you how much I made a week in 1961, Most of us for that matter. I had a friend(Frank Rand III) offer me a chance to buy his Ferrari in the mid 60's and I think we bought our first house for less. Of course it was a very nice racing model and it is still around today. I will attach a photo of it. I did a photo shoot for Florsheim shoes and Frank used the car and did the driving. A whole series of shots are on the Ferrari page on www.classicvintagemotorsports.com Ron

Here is the car. I think the car is on the west coast. Ron
Posted Image

Advertisement

#40 stevewf1

stevewf1

• 3,259 posts

Posted 14 August 2011 - 08:22

I bought my first Competition Press & Autoweek in late 1967 - "Hulme Wins World Title with 3rd Place in Mexico" at a grocery store. Sadly, that and all subsequent issues are long, long gone...

Edited by stevewf1, 14 August 2011 - 08:22.

#41 EmilioC

EmilioC

• 5 posts

Posted 14 August 2011 - 23:54

I would think it would be very, very difficult to find good copies of Competition Press from 1966. Very difficult indeed. That being said, I have duplicate copies of 46 of the 52 issues printed that year. It would take a pretty hefty offer to get me to part with them. That particular stack of magazines weighs about 6 pounds, so postage to Mexico wouldn't be cheap.

1966 is special to you?

JB I am researching a car that was bought in Dallas since an ad in Competition Press in 1966. What price including postage to Mexico will satisfy you? thanks so much! Emilio

#42 JB Miltonian

JB Miltonian

• 548 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 01:18

Emilio: If you can give me some details on the Lotus in question, I'll try to find the ad for you, and either scan it and email it to you, or sell you my duplicate copy of that issue (if it's one that I have in my box of duplicates). Fair enough? I'll try not to beat you up on it.

#43 D-Type

D-Type

• 9,702 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 16:00

Emilio: The link in POST 13 works. 1966 is the second "Competition Press & Autoweek 19> ".

Why don't you work your way through them and then let JB Miltonian know which one you want the hard copy of?

Edited by D-Type, 15 August 2011 - 18:51.

#44 JB Miltonian

JB Miltonian

• 548 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 17:13

I sat in my comfy chair last night with a stack of CP's from 1966, always fun to browse through these.

In the Competition Cars section of the classifieds, most of the Lotus cars listed in Dallas are from Lotus Southwest. These include a 41 Formula B, at least two 23's, a 35 F/A, a Super Seven, an Elan S2, and a 30 Mk 2.

Gus Hutchison listed a 31/22 Formula B, and a 23B.

A Lotus 30 updated to 40 specs was listed by Lou Heuss.

Any of these sound like the right one? I didn't look in the street car classifieds.

#45 EmilioC

EmilioC

• 5 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 00:11

I sat in my comfy chair last night with a stack of CP's from 1966, always fun to browse through these.

In the Competition Cars section of the classifieds, most of the Lotus cars listed in Dallas are from Lotus Southwest. These include a 41 Formula B, at least two 23's, a 35 F/A, a Super Seven, an Elan S2, and a 30 Mk 2.

Gus Hutchison listed a 31/22 Formula B, and a 23B.

A Lotus 30 updated to 40 specs was listed by Lou Heuss.

Any of these sound like the right one? I didn't look in the street car classifieds.

JB thanks so much. Working my was aS D Type suggested I found in the ads by Lotus Southwest 2 that may be my car. I found Dan Davis and waiting on his reply. He may remeber some. the most likely, i think is 1967 ad from LSouthwest in Feb 11 (06) and July 23, 1966 (29)

thanks so much!

#46 EmilioC

EmilioC

• 5 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 00:19

Emilio: If you can give me some details on the Lotus in question, I'll try to find the ad for you, and either scan it and email it to you, or sell you my duplicate copy of that issue (if it's one that I have in my box of duplicates). Fair enough? I'll try not to beat you up on it.

JB

the link will only have till July 1966 and from Feb 1967 on. I will be most interested in hard copies of issues from Nov 1966 till number 6 in 1967, the Feb 11 issue. The car was sold in Dallas by most probably Lotus Southwest. It is a 23b (?). the date seems to be late 66 or early 1967. car also bears engine number 13631001. when it came to Mexico was dark and had air scoops in the back.

Can you sell me the periodicals? thanks

#47 D-Type

D-Type

• 9,702 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 10:40

Sorry, I hadn't noticed that the collection of scans is incomplete. :blush: