* * * * - 6 votes

"Rush": F1 movie about James Hunt vs. Niki Lauda

• Please log in to reply
1108 replies to this topic

#1 tomspar

tomspar

• 1,439 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 20:42

There is talk of a movie featuring the James Hunt and Niki Lauda rivalry, and playing up on their personal differences, etc. set against period F1

http://latimesblogs....uda-howard.html

Director Ron Howard is A list, and supposedly they have the money.

Another Hunt pic is also in the works Dreamworks SKG (Steven Spielberg), a thread about that pic is here:
http://forums.autosp...w...56&hl=movie

All amidst talk that people may actually watch the Senna move here in the USA.

Advertisement

#2 highdownforce

highdownforce

• 4,995 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 21:17

I've read that Daniel Brühl will be Lauda on the screen.

Edited by highdownforce, 20 July 2011 - 21:17.

#3 dank

dank

• 5,191 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 21:22

Pretty sure that Hunt movie has been canned now.

#4 tomboyracer

tomboyracer

• 119 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 21:38

How on earth were Hunt and Lauda 'archrivals' (according to that LA Times article)? I had always thought they got on quite well. Didn't they share a flat at one point?

Lol Hollywood :rolleyes:

#5 FTATRWeSaluteYou

FTATRWeSaluteYou

• 473 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 06:54

What the hell happened to the official F1 movie that was supposed to be coming this year? FiA support, bernie support, but nothing...

#6 Don2011

Don2011

• 80 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 07:49

Yeah, I'm pretty sure Hunt and Lauda were friends, so not sure about this thing of "playing up their differences"

#7 mikasenna

mikasenna

• 15 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 08:31

Both Niki Lauda & Ron Howard where at the British GP togther on the Saturday....

#8 Jejking

Jejking

• 3,111 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 09:41

What the hell happened to the official F1 movie that was supposed to be coming this year? FiA support, bernie support, but nothing...

Somewhere in 2004/2006 I saw in an official F1 DVD Sylvester Stallone going over the paddock to get his F1 movie started but nothing has ever happened since. I guess FOM is more of a pain in the arse then someone can imagine.

#9 chdphd

chdphd

• 2,806 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 10:53

Somewhere in 2004/2006 I saw in an official F1 DVD Sylvester Stallone going over the paddock to get his F1 movie started but nothing has ever happened since. I guess FOM is more of a pain in the arse then someone can imagine.

Stallone got fed up with the privacy of F1 and made Driven about CART/ChampCar instead:

#10 marcoferrari

marcoferrari

• 2,008 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 11:02

Yeah, I'm pretty sure Hunt and Lauda were friends, so not sure about this thing of "playing up their differences"

I read in a book exactly the same...

#11 Lennat

Lennat

• 2,065 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 13:15

Stallone got fed up with the privacy of F1 and made Driven about CART/ChampCar instead:

Which may be the worst movie ever made. :lol:

#12 lustigson

lustigson

• 5,911 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 13:20

Which may be the worst movie ever made. :lol:

Driven is even worse than the (albeit historic) Monaco Grand Prix scenes in Ironman 2. That says a lot.

#13 krapmeister

krapmeister

• 11,656 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 13:28

Petty sure that is what killed CART...

Edited by krapmeister, 21 July 2011 - 14:22.

#14 blackmme

blackmme

• 1,001 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 14:20

Driven is even worse than the (albeit historic) Monaco Grand Prix scenes in Ironman 2. That says a lot.

Driven made those Iron Man scenes look like a painstakingly researched documentary! :)

Regards Mike

#15 DrProzac

DrProzac

• 2,405 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 20:46

Both Driven and Ironman 2 Monaco GP scenes were good comedy, but I must say Driven was much funnier! :)

On topic, I have to say that Hunt would be a good subject for a movie :)

#16 loki

loki

• 12,297 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 23:24

Pretty sure that Hunt movie has been canned now.

Speilberg was trying to do a Hunt picture but that may have fizzled out. This picture, Rush was originally being pitched as a Paul Greengrass picture but since Ron Howard has taken over. It's very much alive and active.

#17 MarioKart

MarioKart

• 142 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 01:09

Both Driven and Ironman 2 Monaco GP scenes were good comedy, but I must say Driven was much funnier! :)

On topic, I have to say that Hunt would be a good subject for a movie :)

Yes, I watched Driven a couple of years ago and thought it was hilarious! :D
Best parts: Stallone and that kid Jimmy Bly doing a tour du monde at night on city roads, and racing cars jumping and flipping high in the air like Nadia Comaneci.

Here is a link to the page on IMDB which follows the progress of the film Rush:
Rush (2013)
I love this website as it's really up-to-date and includes all the relevant details about the director, screenplay, cast etc.

#18 CSquared

CSquared

• 674 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 01:18

You're not expecting a faithful documentary, are you? This is a Hollywood movie. It's a great story to start with: the laid-back, charismatic Briton against the cold, calculating Austrian in a dangerous battle. And that's before you even add in Lauda's dramatic accident and comeback. Putting in the part about them being friends would ruin it :)

#19 Jejking

Jejking

• 3,111 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 09:10

If you want to have a good look at the old Monaco circuit, you should watch Herbie goes to Monte Carlo, although some sequences (turns) are repeated I lately noticed :wave:

Advertisement

#20 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,751 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 11:16

Which is exactly why Bernie didn't let him use F1 for his movie. One look at the storyline and he knew how bad it was.

#21 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 46,535 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 11:20

If you want to have a good look at the old Monaco circuit, you should watch Herbie goes to Monte Carlo, although some sequences (turns) are repeated I lately noticed :wave:

Bonus points for spotting that the circuit used for "qualifying" for the "Trans France Race" is Laguna Seca :wave:

#22 spacekid

spacekid

• 3,143 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 16:26

I've always thought that this would be a great idea for a movie, but only if done 'properly'.

For me the heart of the story should be Nikki's courage to come back to racing so soon after his accident. The way he got back in the car and forced himself to do endless miles of testing despite the pain he was suffering - its difficult to equate to the rather crotchety figure we are used to in the paddock today.

I don't take 'playing their differences' to mean differences in terms of not getting on. From what I have read they were indeed good friends. More differences in that they were something of an odd couple - totally different personalities, rivals, and yet still friends. Thats a good angle and far more interesting and human than trying to make it Days of Thunder.

#23 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 44,252 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 14:34

Just been talking to someone working on RUSH and they say Ron Howard has become a MASSIVE race fan and is doing his best to make this as real as possible.

@RealRonHoward Ron Howard
Any one know the young boy who shot the 8mm footage of Lauda's crash? I'm looking for leads youtube.com/watch?v=YWksOR…
RealRonHoward Ron Howard
I'm told Niki crash was filmed by a kid. I haven't been able to find out who Leads anyone? youtube.com/watch?v=YWksOR…
10 Jan
@maxpapis Max Papis
@RealRonHoward my wife @tatipapis just told me @emmofittipaldi took lauda out of car if u need help contact me dm
10 Jan

Let's hope the NIMBYS in Jobsworth Britain let him go about the business of making a real good F1 racing picture.
Jp

#24 FTATRWeSaluteYou

FTATRWeSaluteYou

• 473 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 14:42

Lauda's career would be a good story for a film, same as Senna's was.

I prefer the documentary style though of SENNA, than a film with actors.

#25 FTATRWeSaluteYou

FTATRWeSaluteYou

• 473 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 14:58

Whatever happened to this?

http://www.motorspor...creens-in-2011/

A big budget film about F1, complete with Oscar winning writers and directors, is set for release in 2011.

Here is the blurb from Autosport

“An officially sanctioned Formula 1 movie is set to hit the cinema screens early next year after a landmark deal was reached with the sport’s commercial chief Bernie Ecclestone.

Preparations are now well underway for the film, which will be an action documentary charting the history of the sport but focusing especially on the period between 1968 and 1982.

#26 chdphd

chdphd

• 2,806 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 15:54

Let's hope the NIMBYS in Jobsworth Britain let him go about the business of making a real good F1 racing picture.

There must be other suitable locations. Film people are experts at finding places which fit their requirements.

#27 BullHead

BullHead

• 7,934 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 19:41

There was an article in todays' Times, describing Howard's commitment and passion to the idea. Currently researching Nurburgring 76 fan footage in the old 8mm format. Also about his visiting UK tracks to mock up scenes. It ain't gonna be a documentary if it does happen. Times quoted a 2013 planned release, and Russell Crowe as a lead actor... :confused:

#28 Mandzipop

Mandzipop
  • RC Forum Host

• 5,146 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 20:06

There was an article in todays' Times, describing Howard's commitment and passion to the idea. Currently researching Nurburgring 76 fan footage in the old 8mm format. Also about his visiting UK tracks to mock up scenes. It ain't gonna be a documentary if it does happen. Times quoted a 2013 planned release, and Russell Crowe as a lead actor... :confused:

Probably to play Richard Burton. I couldn't think of anyone better to play Richard Burton than Russell Crowe.

#29 Disgrace

Disgrace

• 31,448 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 20:19

Lauda's career would be a good story for a film, same as Senna's was.

I prefer the documentary style though of SENNA, than a film with actors.

:up:

A fictional motor racing film will lack the tension/intrigue of the real thing, a wholly crucial element of F1 and live sports in general.

#30 redbarron

redbarron

• 314 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 20:39

At least Ron Howard is one of the better directors. It could be a movie to look forward to now!

#31 Henrik B

Henrik B

• 2,861 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 20:42

A fictional motor racing film will lack the tension/intrigue of the real thing, a wholly crucial element of F1 and live sports in general.

Yeah that Apollo 13 flick had no tension at all. Utter failure.

People need to stop being so negative. It may be great or crap, there's no way to tell in advance and there's nothing really wrong with the setting that makes it IMPOSSIBLE to make a movie about it. Talented people can even make great baseball movies, and that game is boring beyond belief in itself.

#32 Zippel

Zippel

• 1,145 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 23:35

At least Ron Howard is one of the better directors. It could be a movie to look forward to now!

I find his style to be very bland but usually he has a good script so it doesn't matter, hopefully this film being one of those times.

#33 sumpthy

sumpthy

• 290 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 00:42

It's not fictional though. It's based on a true story. James Hunt and Niki Lauda are real people fyi and not some people that Ron Howard made up. They're quite famous drivers.

#34 learningtobelost

learningtobelost

• 1,045 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 00:57

My local paper ran a story on this earlier in the week. It seems large parts of it are going to be filmed on the disused ex-RAF airbase 300 yards from my front door. The article makes reference to the use of replica cars for the majority of filming, but originals for some (presmably lower risk) parts. To say that I'm a bit exited by the prospect is a bit of an understatement!

#35 gerry nassar

gerry nassar
  • RC Forum Host

• 10,912 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 13:20

Chris Hemsworth who starred as Thor last year will play James Hunt.

#36 MarioKart

MarioKart

• 142 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 13:58

Yes, IMDB lists the cast as the following:

Olivia Wilde ... Suzy Miller

Chris Hemsworth ... James Hunt

Russell Crowe ... Richard Burton (rumored)

Daniel Brühl ... Niki Lauda

Alexandra Maria Lara

What do you think about Daniel Brühl as Lauda? I don't see any physical resemblance TBH, and I'm not familiar with his work. Did anyone see his acting chops in other films? :confused:
Also, it's been said in the comments section "Principal photography expected in early 2012. Some racing footage shot in German during late summer 2011."

#37 FTATRWeSaluteYou

FTATRWeSaluteYou

• 473 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 14:05

Yes, IMDB lists the cast as the following:

Olivia Wilde ... Suzy Miller

Chris Hemsworth ... James Hunt

Russell Crowe ... Richard Burton (rumored)

Daniel Brühl ... Niki Lauda

Alexandra Maria Lara

What do you think about Daniel Brühl as Lauda? I don't see any physical resemblance TBH, and I'm not familiar with his work. Did anyone see his acting chops in other films? :confused:
Also, it's been said in the comments section "Principal photography expected in early 2012. Some racing footage shot in German during late summer 2011."

He was good in Inglorious Basterds.

Hemsworth is a tool though. Useless. Shocking choice if true.

#38 Owen

Owen

• 13,178 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 14:22

Just been talking to someone working on RUSH and they say Ron Howard has become a MASSIVE race fan and is doing his best to make this as real as possible.

@RealRonHoward Ron Howard
Any one know the young boy who shot the 8mm footage of Lauda's crash? I'm looking for leads youtube.com/watch?v=YWksOR…
RealRonHoward Ron Howard
I'm told Niki crash was filmed by a kid. I haven't been able to find out who Leads anyone? youtube.com/watch?v=YWksOR…
10 Jan
@maxpapis Max Papis
@RealRonHoward my wife @tatipapis just told me @emmofittipaldi took lauda out of car if u need help contact me dm
10 Jan

Jp

Fittipaldi tweeted back to Ron Howard saying he was the first man on the scene. Hopefully all the tweeting is a sign that this is getting researched thoroughly.

#39 Mila

Mila

• 8,564 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 22:36

Ron Howard knows how to make a film. capturing the drama of '76 and fleshing out the personalities of Lauda and Hunt are well within his abilities.

fingers crossed that the racing scenes aren't given the edited-for-ADHD treatment.

Advertisement

#40 holiday

holiday

• 3,473 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 10:09

Brühl in the well-known Lauda pose - looks good and intensive. :up:

#41 MarioKart

MarioKart

• 142 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 14:39

He was good in Inglorious Basterds.

Hemsworth is a tool though. Useless. Shocking choice if true.

Really??
I've seen Inglourious Basterds but I can't remember him being there :blush: (now watching the clips of him...... OK THAT GUY! he was good indeed )
Never heard of Chris Hemsworth , but your words don't sound encouraging at all :well:

Brühl in the well-known Lauda pose - looks good and intensive. :up:

Thanks for the photo! with the costume, hairstyle and makeup I can finally see "Lauda". :cool:

#42 Andretti Fan

Andretti Fan

• 393 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 15:37

Fittipaldi tweeted back to Ron Howard saying he was the first man on the scene. Hopefully all the tweeting is a sign that this is getting researched thoroughly.

Was he there? The four drivers I've always seen credited with saving Lauda have been Brett Lunger, Harald Ertl. Guy Edwards, and Arturo Merzario. I've never heard of anyone else being on the scene. Doesn't mean Emerson didn't come upon the wreck, and even help in some way. I've just never heard it mentioned.

#43 Owen

Owen

• 13,178 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 15:49

Was he there? The four drivers I've always seen credited with saving Lauda have been Brett Lunger, Harald Ertl. Guy Edwards, and Arturo Merzario. I've never heard of anyone else being on the scene. Doesn't mean Emerson didn't come upon the wreck, and even help in some way. I've just never heard it mentioned.

Quotes from the man himself:

emmofittipaldi emersonfittipaldi
@RealRonHoward I was on the scene, one of the guys who helped Niki right after the crash.

emmofittipaldi emersonfittipaldi
@RealRonHoward please follow me so I can DM you my contact details and we can talk about Lauda's accident at the ring and how i was involved

Twitter

#44 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 15:53

Yeah we know he's saying it, but was he? Because I'd not heard him linked to it before either.

#45 Owen

Owen

• 13,178 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 15:57

Yeah we know he's saying it, but was he? Because I'd not heard him linked to it before either.

I don't have a clue. I wasn't there. But why would he lie? :drunk:

#46 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 16:02

Racing drivers exaggerate and people in general remember things like that poorly over time. They did psychological studies on the World Trade Center attacks 6 months afterwards and people were remembering completely different details about what happened that day, where they were when they heard, etc.

#47 midgrid

midgrid
  • RC Forum Host

• 10,160 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 16:31

The contemporary Autocourse says that Lunger, Edwards, Ertl and Merzario were indeed the first drivers on the scene to help Lauda, but that once he was out of the car, "his fellows surrounded him and persuaded him to lie down. They stripped off his charred overalls and Lunger and Fittipaldi went down opposite sides feeling for broken bones."

Posted Image

Fittipaldi is on the far right with his back to the camera. I think the other people around Lauda are (L-R) Pace? (Brazilian flag on overalls), a marshal?, Keegan, Merzario and Lunger.

#48 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 16:38

Well there we have it.

#49 OSX

OSX

• 4,877 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 17:09

For those who don't know master director Micheal Mann (Heat, The Insider, The Last of the Mohicans) is developing a new Le Mans movie.

Michael Mann Set to Steer Racing Thriller 'Go Like Hell'
26 May 2011

Michael Mann's next film could be an adrenaline-fuelled motor racing tale about the legendary 1966 Le Mans grand prix, a fierce battle between Ford and Ferrari, which saw the former become the first American team to achieve victory in France, reports Variety.

Based on the book Go Like Hell: Ford, Ferrari, and Their Battle for Speed and Glory at Le Mans by AJ Baime, the film was at one point set to feature Brad Pitt, though no final casting decisions have yet been made. The story centres on the efforts of Henry Ford II (Ford chairman and grandson of company founder Henry T Ford), with the help of visionary executive Lee Iacocca, and former racing champion Carroll Shelby, to overturn European domination of car racing.

The jacket of Baime's book reads: "Go Like Hell transports readers to a risk-filled glorious time in this brilliant portrait of a rivalry between two industrialists, the cars they built, and the 'pilots' who would drive them to victory, or doom."

Full article: http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2011/may/27...nn-go-like-hell

#50 indybail

indybail

• 8 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 18:30

I'll keep my fingers crossed these projects come to fruition. I'm not sure the Richard Burton angle adds much to the story though. If they really want to get this movie made they should have Mr. Crowe play Bernie Ecclestone.

Edited by indybail, 13 January 2012 - 18:31.