Photo

Sid Mosca has passed away.

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 f1steveuk

f1steveuk

• 3,588 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 17:14

The man that took F1 drivers helmets from white Bell Stars covered in chipped paint and coloured tape into an art form, has passed away. I only met him once, but you could see how enthusiastic he was about what he did. A craftsman.

I'm sure MFD will be more saddened than most of us, and can tell us more of the man. yet another link gone.

Advertisement

#2 Jack-the-Lad

Jack-the-Lad

• 2,466 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 17:49

Sorry to hear of his passing. Who were some of the drivers who wore or wear his designs?

#3 cyrilmac

cyrilmac

• 439 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 17:53

Sorry to hear of his passing. Who were some of the drivers who wore or wear his designs?

Ayrton Senna for one

#4 T54

T54

• 2,504 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 17:58

Emerson Fittipaldi and many more... Sid was one of the best.

#5 Jack-the-Lad

Jack-the-Lad

• 2,466 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 18:09

Also Schumi and Hakkinen according to one obit.

#6 mfd

mfd

• 2,987 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 20:03

Also Schumi and Hakkinen according to one obit.

That was limited to one offs but the well known connection with Senna, Piquet & Fittipaldi are more than enough for most.

I met him in 2006 & he spoke only a little English, but the expression on his face spoke volumes. The introduction was prefaced by his Son, Alan who had been asked by "Sidi" "is that Mike...over there?" I felt humbled, then the great man gave me a huge bear hug and in broken English, said "we are Brothers-in-colours!" Alan later told me he'd enjoyed his own visit to the UK some years before when Dick Bennetts had looked after him...the guy in the yellow helmet being one of Dicks' drivers at the time. Considering the number of Brazilians that used to rock up at my place with Sid painted helmets as samples for me to copy, I was quite moved that he was so very genuinely pleased to meet me.

Steve, if you want to lift the photo off my FB - do you mind posting it for me please?

#7 JacnGille

JacnGille

• 2,812 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 01:59

aaaaaaawwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

#8 Puntataco

Puntataco

• 27 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 09:38

I met Sid several times and he was a real passionate painter. He developed, together with the driver himself, the main responsible for the development of Senna's helmet and colors.
the * Painted by SID * is a real symbol to have on his helmet.
In his workshop he also keeps several cars that he painted.

#9 f1steveuk

f1steveuk

• 3,588 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 11:20

Steve, if you want to lift the photo off my FB - do you mind posting it for me please?

Mike, I tried, but Facebook doesn't allow copying of pictures, sorry, but kind of you to want to share a private moment, that speaks volumes.

Edited by f1steveuk, 22 July 2011 - 11:20.

#10 fausto

fausto

• 528 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 11:43

I met Sid several times and he was a real passionate painter. He developed, together with the driver himself, the main responsible for the development of Senna's helmet and colors.
the * Painted by SID * is a real symbol to have on his helmet.
In his workshop he also keeps several cars that he painted.

IIRC he was responsible for the paintwork of the first Fittipaldi Copersucars...RIP

#11 Chris Skepis

Chris Skepis

• 179 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 19:48

oh my god !!!.sad news....and I live two blocks away from his shop. I pass in front of his door every day on my way back from work....very sad indeed.

#12 E1pix

E1pix

• 23,451 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 20:00

One of my career origins was painting helmets.... Thanks for honoring him. :up:

#13 E1pix

E1pix

• 23,451 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 20:05

Emerson Fittipaldi and many more... Sid was one of the best.

IIRC he was responsible for the paintwork of the first Fittipaldi Copersucars...RIP

I didn't know the man, but here's a tribute in the best way I can think of....

Posted Image

Posted Image