Photo

Sky AND BBC to show F1 in 2012-2018

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
7820 replies to this topic

#1 Mastah

Mastah

• 3,679 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 06:06

The BBC and Sky Sports will broadcast Formula 1 in the UK between 2012 and 2018 under a new rights deal.

The BBC has been the exclusive broadcaster of F1 in the UK since 2009 but its contract with Formula One Management was due to expire after the 2013 season.

Sky Sports will show every race, qualifying session and practice live.

BBC Sport will broadcast half the races live, as well as the qualifying and practice sessions from those races.

Both companies will broadcast in High Definition.

The BBC will have highlights on TV and mobile for any race it it is not showing live, and all races will be broadcast on BBC Radio 5 Live.

Barbara Slater, director of BBC Sport, said: "We are absolutely delighted that F1 will remain on the BBC.

"The sport has never been more popular with TV audiences at a 10-year high and the BBC has always stated its commitment to the big national sporting moments.

"With this new deal not only have we delivered significant savings but we have also ensured that through our live and extended highlights coverage all the action continues to be available to licence fee payers."

Races shown live on BBC TV will include the British Grand Prix at Silverstone, the Monaco GP and the concluding race of the season.

Barney Francis, Managing Director of Sky Sports, said: "This is fantastic news for F1 fans and Sky Sports will be the only place to follow every race live and in HD.

"We will give F1 the full Sky Sports treatment with a commitment to each race never seen before on UK television."

http://news.bbc.co.u...one/9550930.stm

Edited by Mastah, 29 July 2011 - 06:09.

Advertisement

#2 f1fan1998

f1fan1998

• 293 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 06:08

Back to the category of minority sport then.

DISASTER!!!

#3 Muppetmad

Muppetmad

• 11,085 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 06:11

That is genuinely awful. I hope something is done so it doesn't change. Sky's coverage of IndyCars is for the most part awful, with adverts during green flag laps but then staying with the British commentators when it goes yellow.

#4 mike271

mike271

• 40 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 06:13

I feel completely let down by the BBC!!

Adverts and F1 just do not go

#5 The Ragged Edge

The Ragged Edge

• 4,435 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 06:14

I just saw this as "BREAKING NEWS", on Sky Sports News. :eek: F1 has gone to the evil empire. :cry: Who Sky employ as commentator? Will the pit-lane reporter be better looking than Lee Mckenzie? We must know now! :lol:

#6 primer

primer

• 6,664 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 06:15

Sky Sports will show every race, qualifying session and practice live.

BBC Sport will broadcast half the races live, as well as the qualifying and practice sessions from those races.

Is this some kind of joke? WTF are they doing? Why can they not broadcast the other 50% of the races also live?

And why does any territory need two different broadcasters?

Posted Image

Edited by primer, 29 July 2011 - 06:27.

#7 madraykin

madraykin

• 141 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 06:15

Awful news :|

Guess I'll have to find something else to do with my time now.

#8 NateF

NateF

• 3,869 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 06:16

The BBC are under pressure to save money, I think this deal is better than not having F1 at all on the BBC.

#9 tarmac

tarmac

• 1,155 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 06:17

Premium channel has adverts mid race? LOL

At least in Finland they are uninterrupted

#10 vitafit

vitafit

• 92 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 06:19

So this means I have to add sky sports package? Just go buy into adverts?! Blooming great....

I hope martin and couthard stick together.

#11 hulmerist

hulmerist

• 1,026 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 06:19

great, adverts

this is the one thing we didn't want to happen

#12 FiveYards

FiveYards

• 52 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 06:22

This is absolutely shite.

#13 primer

primer

• 6,664 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 06:22

The BBC are under pressure to save money, I think this deal is better than not having F1 at all on the BBC.

How so? Do the BBC think that the hardcore followers will just skip half the races from next season just to save money on Sky subscription? :rotfl:

Seriously, there needs to be an inquiry about this. Looks to me that Bernie has been busy bribing gifting the BBC bosses!

#14 Dunder

Dunder

• 6,784 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 06:23

:well:

I subscribe to Sky Sports and think they will do a good job of the coverage but I can't see how this can be a good thing for the sport in the UK.

I understood that the provisions of the Concorde agreement that covers 2012 meant that the rights had to be given to a terrestrial broadcaster so I guess this move must have the blessings of the teams which I would find disappointing.

#15 Mastah

Mastah

• 3,679 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 06:26

Who Sky employ as commentator?

Jonathan Legard...

:lol: :cry:

#16 hulmerist

hulmerist

• 1,026 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 06:28

if they have no adverts in the races i'm fairly okay with it

if they have only the night and morning races i'm okay with that

if they put damn adverts in the middle of now very interesting races i'll be really ****ed off like i'm sure a lot of people will be, you can't have ads in f1, there's too much going on

#17 Timstr11

Timstr11

• 11,162 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 06:29

This is a blow to many viewers outside of the UK (like me) as well, because BBC 1 and 2 are widely distributed on cable in many european countries (e.g. Netherlands).
Sky Sports is not.

#18 tarmac

tarmac

• 1,155 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 06:30

Honestly i dont know why the teams just wont leave bernie.

They could put it on bbc, make a better product and take more money

#19 NateF

NateF

• 3,869 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 06:31

How so? Do the BBC think that the hardcore followers will just skip half the races from next season just to save money on Sky subscription? :rotfl:

Seriously, there needs to be an inquiry about this. Looks to me that Bernie has been busy bribing gifting the BBC bosses!

No doubt that it's a rubbish compromise but not everyone has a Sky subscription and those that do might want to watch races without the adverts.

Advertisement

#20 Muppetmad

Muppetmad

• 11,085 posts

How the teams agreed to this is beyond me. They won't be happy when the fans lose interest because they can't enjoy the excitement of the entire season's buildup, boycott the sport and the teams' sponsors receive little exposure in a core market.

#21 Dalin80

Dalin80

• 729 posts

To hell with that, was considering a switch to tin-top racing next year anyway so this has worked out as apt timing, iam amazed that the f1 sponsors have agreed to this considering the massive drop in ratings it will result in.

Utterly stupid idea, is bernie really that desperate for a few more million before he kicks the bucket?

#22 Dunder

Dunder

• 6,784 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 06:33

No doubt that it's a rubbish compromise but not everyone has a Sky subscription and those that do might want to watch races without the adverts.

I am fairly sure there won't be adverts during the race.

#23 fifi

fifi

• 12,423 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 06:34

what is going to piss me off more is that they will more than likely stick f1 on sky sports 4 or something to avoid clashing with football so you will need to subscribe to the full sky sports package

i am not going to say either way if i will go with sky sports or not at the moment

#24 Muppetmad

Muppetmad

• 11,085 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 06:35

I am fairly sure there won't be adverts during the race.

Why? They are in IndyCars.

#25 Gene and Tonic

Gene and Tonic

• 555 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 06:36

Awful news...just as we'd got it pretty much spot on as well, the BBC were doing such a good job :( And you can guarantee that there will be adverts during the race, why wouldn't there be?

#26 peroa

peroa

• 10,762 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 06:42

Looks like FOTA is selling us BS.
Seems like the beginning of F1 in PayTV only.

Edited by peroa, 29 July 2011 - 06:42.

#27 Fubar1979

Fubar1979

• 322 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 06:42

What a ****ing stupid idiot, that's all that can be said to the pillock that thought this idea was great, looks like i wont be watching F1 much next year then, wonder what the sponsors think of all this ****

#28 madraykin

madraykin

• 141 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 06:43

OK, I should get getting ready for work, but whatever.

For those who don't already have Sky, Sky+ with Sky Sports is £31.75 a month, for HD it's £42 a month. With them showing 10 races a year that's £38.10 a race, or £50.40 a race for HD. :well:

#29 AvranaKern

AvranaKern

• 6,409 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 06:44

James Allen will be back to commentating now that Commercial Ads Era is back?

#30 Breesey

Breesey

• 25 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 06:45

initial feeling; bullshite!
First off, between 2012 and 2018. So this means it's starting from next year?

I suppose it looked inevitable that the BBC would lose it's coverage though, so this is definitely not a bad compromise. As long as the Beeb broadcast the good ones...I'm looking at Spa, Canada, Brazil, etc then I think hardcore fans will be able to cope. Looks like I'll be finding streams and syncing them to the 5live commentary for the rest.

F1 really needs to work out a MotoGP style online subscription, so I can watch the races live online, sans adverts and interruptions.

Overall, very disappointed with this move.

#31 Coral

Coral

• 6,682 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 06:45

I can''t afford Sky Sports but now I'll have to subscribe because I don't want to miss any races. I loved the BBC's coverage so I'm not happy at all. I wonder if there will still be a forum after the races the BBC do show. And I don't want any adverts during races.

Not happy :mad: :( :cry:

#32 Dunder

Dunder

• 6,784 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 06:46

....... and there isn't in football, rugby etc etc.

Awful news...just as we'd got it pretty much spot on as well, the BBC were doing such a good job :( And you can guarantee that there will be adverts during the race, why wouldn't there be?

They are not dumb and realise that no one will watch on Sky if there are adverts on the races that are also being broadcast on the BBC. I can't see them showing adverts in half the races only, can you?

#33 David Lightman

David Lightman

• 1,427 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 06:46

Without wishing to sound over dramatic, this is one of the most tragic days for the sport. Bernie and FOTA are a disgrace. Utter disgrace.

#34 AvranaKern

AvranaKern

• 6,409 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 06:49

They are not dumb and realise that no one will watch on Sky if there are adverts on the races that are also being broadcast on the BBC. I can't see them showing adverts in half the races only, can you?

Do you think subscription fees will be enough for them to scrap commercial ads? I don't know how it works, so I genuinely want to learn it.

#35 Peat

Peat

• 8,799 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 06:49

The only way F1 will survive this is if the races are covered on Sky Sports 1 & 2 and thus accessable through 'Top-up TV' and Virgin Media et al. If, as i think they will, stick it on SS4 then i think we will see a ratings tail-off of biblical proportions.

Hahaha, well done Bernie.

#36 Snic

Snic

• 571 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 06:50

At the end of the day at least having something on the BBC is better than having nothing at all. There's no way I could see the BBC retaining f1 at the expense of dropping one of their digital channels unless Bernie offered the BBC a super cheap deal... and we all know that was never going to happen. Im guessing the season opener will be on SS and it'll be a rota of every other race? As long as the presenters stay with BBC I am not too disappointed, I'm sure Ill find a way to watch all the races when the time comes anyway! 6 years does seem like a LONG time, Im sure Bernie will have retired by then and maybe we will have a guy in charge who puts the fans first again afterwards

Edited by Snic, 29 July 2011 - 06:55.

#37 Blythy

Blythy

• 960 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 06:51

This is absolutely GASH.

3 seasons of outstanding coverage, and now it's going to be half arsed.

#38 Enkei

Enkei

• 5,853 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 06:52

This sucks. I've been watching the BBC instead of the mediocre Dutch coverage and we're not receiving SKY here :(

#39 fifi

fifi

• 12,423 posts

for virgin media customers i think its a extra 22.50-28.00 depending on what tv pack you are on

also you dont have to keep on virgin for 12 months, as long as you keep the channels for 30 days then you can cancel them down

i done this a lot depending on what football was on

i do grudge paying for it

might resort to other means for races not shown on bbc

Advertisement

#40 NateF

NateF

• 3,869 posts

Do you think subscription fees will be enough for them to scrap commercial ads? I don't know how it works, so I genuinely want to learn it.

Sky makes huge profits from subscriptions, but football and rugby have formats which allow for commercials without ruining the viewing experience, 45/40 min periods, a F1 race is continuous from start to finish without breaks usually

#41 Jamiednm

Jamiednm

• 2,546 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 06:53

I prefer football and some other sports on Sky and Sky Sports does a good job catering for many sports that wouldn't usually see the light of day on terrestrial TV - the NFL for example.

BUT this is just terrible news. F1 in the UK will be sidelined. Football can cope because it is huge. F1 is popular, but not to football levels. And if they start putting adverts in during races, I'll be cancelling my Sky Sports subscription and find some stream to watch it on the internet. It's bad enough having adverts during a race, but if I have to pay for a channel then there shouldn't be any adverts in the middle of a race.

#42 kenny

kenny

• 2,030 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 06:54

this is really sh*t...
I guess it will be back to RTBF for the other half, at least they have no adverts...

and what if the season is 19 races... will BBC show 9.5 races?...

:rolleyes:

#43 tarmac

tarmac

• 1,155 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 06:54

James Allen comeback confirmed

#44 ImDDAA

ImDDAA

• 3,226 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 06:55

Great, those slimey businessmen can now start their slow monopolisation of another sport I love, eventually taking it away from me completely. **** those pricks.

I'd urge F1 fans not to jump on the Sky cart but I'm sure plenty here think this is a great thing, the love of capitalism and all that bullshit.

#45 smartie_f1

smartie_f1

• 296 posts

I just saw this as "BREAKING NEWS", on Sky Sports News. :eek: F1 has gone to the evil empire. :cry: Who Sky employ as commentator? Will the pit-lane reporter be better looking than Lee Mckenzie? We must know now! :lol:

The twitter rumour is James Allen will be back :(

OK, I should get getting ready for work, but whatever.

For those who don't already have Sky, Sky+ with Sky Sports is £31.75 a month, for HD it's £42 a month. With them showing 10 races a year that's £38.10 a race, or £50.40 a race for HD. :well:

Wow I hadn't realised a subscription was that much. That's pretty unaffordable for me.

Pretty gutted about this decision. The BBC really raised the bar with their coverage (Eddie Jordan aside) with bringing practice to the screens as well. I would've thought given the whole anti-murdoch feeling at the moment this idea would've been shleved for a year or so. But no, lets find a way to give more money to them.

God knows what they will do with the adverts.

#46 AvranaKern

AvranaKern

• 6,409 posts

Sky makes huge profits from subscriptions, but football and rugby have formats which allow for commercials without ruining the viewing experience, 45/40 min periods, a F1 race is continuous from start to finish without breaks usually

Then maybe Bernie has an idea of giving commercial breaks in Formula 1 races at every other 30 laps. All teams to pit and wait for commercials to finish.

What a joke.

#47 fifi

fifi

• 12,423 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 06:56

but dont sky go to ads in indycar when the US feed goes to ads

#48 Dunder

Dunder

• 6,784 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 06:57

Like their coverage of football and other sports, they will (IMHO) show advertisements before and after the race and probably if there is a safety car etc.

How viable it is for them to make money (Sky Sports is already very profitable) will depend, first and foremost, on how many new subscribers they can draw in to Sky Sports (not to mention their bundled broadband and landline services).

Given that they have to go head-to-head with the BBC they will need top notch coverage and as mentioned by the poster above will also need to have it on the channels which are also carried by Virgin and BT.

#49 Mark A

Mark A

• 1,171 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 06:57

The question is when will the BBC show the other races, for example I assume that Sky will show the Australian GP live and the BBC will show it later, but waht about Hungary for example, will Sky show it live and then the BBC later, but how later? A few hours is probably okay but not ideal.

Still think overall it's a crap idea and we the fans are losing out again!

#50 SimMaker

SimMaker

• 771 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 06:58

What sort of diffference in viewer numbers can we expect to see?

I'm thinking that if F1 sponsors see that BBC1 get 5 Million for a race and Sky gets 1` million for same event, they may well kick up a fuss themselves.

Only thing that will get through to Bernie is money.