BBC F1 Coverage (merged)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5079 replies to this topic

#1 D.M.N.

D.M.N.
  • RC Forum Host

• 7,491 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 16:12

Year 3 on BBC, thanks to Victor_RO for closing the 2010 thread. Some things stay the same. Some things change. Or do they? Who knows. Links to past threads:

- ITV (2005 to 2008)
- UK F1 Ratings Thread

And the line-up is...

- presenter: Jake Humphrey
- pundits: Eddie Jordan and David Coulthard
- reporters: Ted Kravitz and Lee McKenzie
- commentators: Martin Brundle and David Coulthard

As for the radio side, it'll be David Croft and Anthony Davidson on commentary, reporter in the pit lane Natalie Pinkham. And F1 is in HD this year which has been officially confirmed by BBC.

So the first race of 2011 on BBC... 60 days and counting down. :)

Edited by D.M.N., 30 January 2011 - 09:19.

Advertisement

#2 Snap Matt

Snap Matt

• 1,157 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 16:19

Are they rumours or wishful thinking about the commentary? My own view is that there isn't anything really broken, but then I'd still watch even if they signed up Jedward to commentate on the races. Hmmmm, well, probably.

#3 Andy865

Andy865

• 2,447 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 16:31

Lets get this thread started in the right fashion.

Legard is rubbish.

#4 Owen

Owen

• 13,177 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 16:34

Legard is rubbish.

:lol: Prediction: This thread will be full of Legard speculation/opinion.

#5 Disgrace

Disgrace

• 31,165 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 16:38

Haha, just went through that ITV thread. The ITV/Hamilton/Allen 2007 orgy really puts things in perspective, we really have it good at the moment. Those were dark, dark times.

Edited by Disgrace, 10 January 2011 - 16:41.

#6 Ellios

Ellios

• 3,068 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 16:47

I look forward to F1 in HD (to improve the show - they can work on the racing afterwards)

#7 Fastcake

Fastcake

• 12,546 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 16:48

Prediction No. 2: In the event of Legard's replacement, the new commentator will immediately be the worst ever, and this thread will be crying out for the good old days of Allen/Legard. :yawnface:

Wonder if the Beeb are doing any previews again this year?

Edited by Fastcake, 10 January 2011 - 16:53.

#8 johnmhinds

johnmhinds

• 7,292 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 16:57

Prediction No.3: People will continue to complain about people complaining, and continue to miss the irony.

Edited by johnmhinds, 10 January 2011 - 16:57.

#9 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • Admin

• 19,094 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 16:59

Legard is rubbish.

You could put any old name in that post really. None of the commentators will be working for the benefit of those who post on this forum because we all think we know so much more than they do. They work for the casual viewers and in that regard will just irritate eventually.

#10 Snap Matt

Snap Matt

• 1,157 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 17:01

Wonder if the Beeb are doing any previews again this year?

I expect so, but they will only be on Freeview between 2am and 4am on the Wednesday morning two weeks before the start of the season, due to them playing a rolling 45 second trailer for Doctor Who and repeats of Terry Wogan's show for old duffers. Later red button previews will not be available on Freeview at all.

Of course, that gripe might be worse if I hadn't recorded a couple of the 2010 race previews (classic races) that did make it to channel 301 but not yet got around to watching them.

Edited by Snap Matt, 10 January 2011 - 17:03.

#11 timknott

timknott

• 30 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 17:03

Hi,

Do we know if the commentary team for the free practice (5live) is staying the same. They really were superb for background whilst working.

Also, really would like pretty much anyone apart from Ted in the pits.

#12 Crazy Ninja

Crazy Ninja

• 1,379 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 17:09

Im gonna have a nosey through the ITV thread to see if i can find my criticisms of James Allen :lol: (Edit: that explains your avatar Buttoneer!)

In the meantime, is there any idea as to who the pitlane reporter might be for 5Live?

Edited by Crazy Ninja, 10 January 2011 - 17:13.

#13 Fastcake

Fastcake

• 12,546 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 17:11

I expect so, but they will only be on Freeview between 2am and 4am on the Wednesday morning two weeks before the start of the season, due to them playing a rolling 45 second trailer for Doctor Who and repeats of Terry Wogan's show for old duffers. Later red button previews will not be available on Freeview at all.

Of course, that gripe might be worse if I hadn't recorded a couple of the 2010 race previews (classic races) that did make it to channel 301 but not yet got around to watching them.

Lucky I have Sky - and the internet :D

Seriously, it's called Freeview for a reason....

#14 Snap Matt

Snap Matt

• 1,157 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 17:11

Also, really would like pretty much anyone apart from Ted in the pits.

Aww, I like Ted.

#15 Snap Matt

Snap Matt

• 1,157 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 17:15

The interwhat?

It's pure laziness on my part, as highlighted by not bothering to watch ones they did make available, but they show so much looped crap on 301, 4 hours for F1 previews isn't a lot to ask.

#16 SRi130Brett

SRi130Brett

• 341 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 17:19

If the BBC do the same job this year as they did last we ought to be very pleased. I dont know of anyone in the world who enjoys coverage of the quality and depth that we do for as little as we do (TV licence of course)

Thats not to say it cannot be improved, but some of the 2010 features were brilliant.

On the subject of Legard - I dont mind him. He could be better but equally he could be James Allen! I think the people who slate him on here, with respect, will slate whoevers in the box at the end of the day.

#17 Don_Humpador

Don_Humpador

• 2,223 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 17:25

Watching F1 on the BBC website is like watching Lego it's so pixellated.

Unless of course you go to the iPlayer section of their site, in which case you can watch BBC1 in good quality. That does, however, completely defeat the object of being able to have alternate commentary and other features since you can't get those on BBC1.

It's actually perhaps my biggest gripe of the coverage, Legard withstanding.

Not to say I'm a total whinger.

F1 on the BBC is very good, all told.

Edited by Don_Humpador, 10 January 2011 - 17:26.

#18 PNSD

PNSD

• 3,276 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 17:31

Somehow BBC bettered the 09 coverage with their '10 coverage.

They get closer to the action than ever before and really do bring F1 to our sitting rooms. I suppose that is the goal of TV coverage but it's never been achieved as well as it had before 2009 and now 2010 with the BBC.

If 2011 follows the same trend them we are in for a treat.

Legard or not, the service they provide is awesome. I can take another 100 years of Legard if it means I can still recieve the quality coverage they have provided thus far.

#19 undersquare

undersquare

• 18,929 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 17:33

On the subject of Legard - I dont mind him. He could be better but equally he could be James Allen! I think the people who slate him on here, with respect, will slate whoevers in the box at the end of the day.

Nope. You don't mind Legard so you think nobody else should mind him.

The bikes thread isn't full of criticism of Toby Moody, is it? That's because he's a natural commentator who's a real fan and spontaneous. Which JL and JA are not, respectively.

Advertisement

#20 SRi130Brett

SRi130Brett

• 341 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 17:49

Nope. You don't mind Legard so you think nobody else should mind him.

Nope. I think that I dont mind Legard and I think that if they do replace him will people will just moan about the new guy instead.

People are entitled to dislike him, I can see why they would, but it doesnt make me dislike him.

Edited by SRi130Brett, 10 January 2011 - 17:51.

#21 undersquare

undersquare

• 18,929 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 18:02

Nope. I think that I dont mind Legard and I think that if they do replace him will people will just moan about the new guy instead.

People are entitled to dislike him, I can see why they would, but it doesnt make me dislike him.

Nobody is asking you to dislike him. It's quite alright for some of us to dislike him, and some not. It doesn't mean were going to dislike the next guy though, just because we differ from you this time around.

#22 Ellios

Ellios

• 3,068 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 18:07

Nobody is asking you to dislike him. It's quite alright for some of us to dislike him, and some not. It doesn't mean were going to dislike the next guy though, just because we differ from you this time around.

wonder if coral's will run the odds?

#23 johnmhinds

johnmhinds

• 7,292 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 18:22

You could put any old name in that post really. None of the commentators will be working for the benefit of those who post on this forum because we all think we know so much more than they do. They work for the casual viewers and in that regard will just irritate eventually.

You can keep repeating this same line over and over like you did in the last thread, but Legards inappropriately half shouted sentences (raving about apparently amazing Q1 times), moronic cliches (up the hill, down the hill, will he make it) and constant mistakes (a wing's a wing) are not what the casual fans tune in to hear at all.

Edited by johnmhinds, 10 January 2011 - 18:26.

#24 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • Admin

• 19,094 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 18:34

You can keep repeating this same line over and over like you did in the last thread

I think you'll find that I didn't.

#25 Alexis*27

Alexis*27

• 1,092 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 18:45

Haha, just went through that ITV thread. The ITV/Hamilton/Allen 2007 orgy really puts things in perspective, we really have it good at the moment. Those were dark, dark times.

What's the difference between Hamilton in 2007 and 2008 and Vettel and Webber in the Red Bull? If it was Hamilton and Kovalainen colliding whilst first and second people would still complain it was a Hamilton love-in if the same coverage was given as the Turkish incident.

#26 D.M.N.

D.M.N.
  • RC Forum Host

• 7,491 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 18:47

For those going, Murray Walker, Jake Humphrey and Martin Brundle will be at the Autosport International this weekend. Maybe someone could ask Brundle 'the question' if nothing is announced by the weekend? ;)

#27 BullHead

BullHead

• 7,934 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 18:49

He probably doesn't know, or would say as much anyway.

#28 dank

dank

• 5,191 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 19:18

For those going, Murray Walker, Jake Humphrey and Martin Brundle will be at the Autosport International this weekend. Maybe someone could ask Brundle 'the question' if nothing is announced by the weekend?;)

What day is he due on stage? I might be a cheeky git and pose him the question if Henry-Hope Frost's microphone comes my way.

#29 jjcale

jjcale

• 16,192 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 19:29

There should be an "Expert's" channel on the red button with no commentary, just car noise, live timing in a corner and some datastreams running along the bottom... I'd pay for that.

Hell, they could even chuck in a few adds to break up the creepy "state broadcasting channel" feel of things to keep me happy.

#30 BullHead

BullHead

• 7,934 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 19:34

yeah, i was thinking that. Call it the 'technical' channel or something. could even have a bit of 'technical' commentary.

Edited by BullHead, 10 January 2011 - 19:35.

#31 gm914

gm914

• 6,046 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 20:20

Posted Image

We know Martin, we know....

#32 Crafty

Crafty

• 4,151 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 20:26

Martin is a busy boy then, he's only just returned from Daytona where he (and Marl Blundell) were testing for the Daytona 24hr race which will be held 29-30th January : http://www.daytonain...At-Daytona.aspx

Practice & Qualifying is 27-28th Jan.

Like the pic above :lol:

Far as Legard goes, F1 Fanatic tweeted earlier today that the BBC were still deciding on the commentary line up, so until they do so theres not much that hasn't been said.. Fingers crossed!

Edited by Crafty, 10 January 2011 - 20:30.

#33 wewantourdarbyback

wewantourdarbyback

• 6,360 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 21:25

Watching F1 on the BBC website is like watching Lego it's so pixellated.

Not for me.

#34 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • Admin

• 19,094 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 21:56

Hell, they could even chuck in a few adds to break up the creepy "state broadcasting channel" feel of things to keep me happy.

Yeah and make sure they come at crucial moments too to really get away from 'creepy' and tip it over into 'really stupidly annoying'.

#35 Crazy Ninja

Crazy Ninja

• 1,379 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 22:44

Not for me.

Same here. Works prefect for me.

#36 BullHead

BullHead

• 7,934 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 23:01

It works for me on a small computer screen. I've tried to hook up to a big telly with the net archives and got the pixellated thing.

#37 chdphd

chdphd

• 2,753 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 23:56

The BBC live streams are fairly low resolution, probably similar to their news videos at 640x360.

#38 KateLM

KateLM

• 2,342 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 01:11

What's the difference between Hamilton in 2007 and 2008 and Vettel and Webber in the Red Bull? If it was Hamilton and Kovalainen colliding whilst first and second people would still complain it was a Hamilton love-in if the same coverage was given as the Turkish incident.

You are comparing a stance taken by some BBC pundits on two individual incidents (Turkey and Silverstone I presume) - stances that I believe most of the forum agreed with based on the polls afterwards - to 2 seasons worth of pillar to post coverage of Hamilton, much of it sycophantic, with only the odd mention of the 21 other plebs on the grid. I don't think its even comparable, what annoyed a lot of people is that most the the pre-quali and pre-race shows and indeed much of the commentary all revolved solely around Hamilton (with more than the occasional comparison to Senna). Do you not remember how the amount of the press conference shown would depend on where Hamilton had finished in the race?

Edited by KateLM, 11 January 2011 - 01:13.

#39 Don_Humpador

Don_Humpador

• 2,223 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 01:22

Not for me.

So what exactly does Your Lordship actually do to get it to work well?

Advertisement

#40 Muz Bee

Muz Bee

• 2,956 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 01:51

@GM914
:rotfl: Fantastic, says it all, zzzzzzzzzzz

#41 wewantourdarbyback

wewantourdarbyback

• 6,360 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 08:24

So what exactly does Your Lordship actually do to get it to work well?

Turn it on? (have a decent internet connection  ;) )

#42 DanardiF1

DanardiF1

• 10,082 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 08:31

Regarding HD coverage, I assume the BBC will continue to upscale the current broadcast for the BBC 1HD channel? Did anyone see how this looked (I think it was introduced for the last 2-3 races in 2010)? I'm getting Virgin Media installed next week, finally upgrading from Freeview, and I was just wondering whether the upscaled coverage was any good?

#43 David Lightman

David Lightman

• 1,427 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 08:48

Tom Cary is tweeting that BBC announcement will be this morning, Legard has gone :)

http://twitter.com/#!/tomcaryf1

#44 D.M.N.

D.M.N.
  • RC Forum Host

• 7,491 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 08:50

Tom Cary is tweeting that BBC announcement will be this morning, Legard has gone :)

http://twitter.com/#!/tomcaryf1

That corroborates with what I've heard as well. Keep an eye on BBC Press Office, folks...

Furthermore Jonathan Legard's Twitter description has changed from 'BBC F1 commentator' to 'F1 commentator, sports broadcaster'.

Edited by D.M.N., 11 January 2011 - 08:54.

#45 johnmhinds

johnmhinds

• 7,292 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 08:55

You are comparing a stance taken by some BBC pundits on two individual incidents (Turkey and Silverstone I presume) - stances that I believe most of the forum agreed with based on the polls afterwards - to 2 seasons worth of pillar to post coverage of Hamilton, much of it sycophantic, with only the odd mention of the 21 other plebs on the grid. I don't think its even comparable, what annoyed a lot of people is that most the the pre-quali and pre-race shows and indeed much of the commentary all revolved solely around Hamilton (with more than the occasional comparison to Senna). Do you not remember how the amount of the press conference shown would depend on where Hamilton had finished in the race?

A, He's a british driver
B, At the time we hadn't had a british drivers champion for over a decade
C, He was in contention for both championships for all of those two seasons
D, When did we last have a rookie driver regularly beating a 2 time champion in the same car?

To bitch about the 07-08 ITV coverage now is to completely forget/ignore what an amazing job Hamilton did in those first 2 seasons.

#46 wewantourdarbyback

wewantourdarbyback

• 6,360 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 09:04

Life moves on. Ask Nick Heidfeld or @narainracing. You never know what's next. To the critical and the complimentary, thanks for the company

#47 blager

blager

• 8 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 09:11

Confirmed by Legard on twitter:
Life moves on. Ask Nick Heidfeld or @narainracing. You never know what's next. To the critical and the complimentary, thanks for the company

#48 f1fan1998

f1fan1998

• 293 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 09:14

about time.

#49 David Lightman

David Lightman

• 1,427 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 09:16

Brilliant.

#50 SimMaker

SimMaker