It seems it is sam michael going to mclaren, announcement tomorrow
Twitter

Advertisement

#2 D.M.N.

D.M.N.
  • RC Forum Host

• 7,491 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 16:24

I have to admit that I'm surprised if they're getting Sam Michael. Michael's been Williams technical director since 2004, and its fair to say their performance level has decreased since then. Not sure this is the right move for McLaren, really.

#3 P123

P123

• 23,938 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 16:33

I have to admit that I'm surprised if they're getting Sam Michael. Michael's been Williams technical director since 2004, and its fair to say their performance level has decreased since then. Not sure this is the right move for McLaren, really.

Depends what position he will be filling. I doubt he will have the same level of responsibillity as he had at Williams.

#4 onewingedangel

onewingedangel

• 1,597 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 16:45

Sam Michael was being asked to do the job of several people at Williams - so I wouldn't judge him too harshly on that.

#5 femi

femi

• 8,288 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 16:51

I think we need to catch up on the news of what had been going on internally at Williams.

#6 Mika Mika

Mika Mika

• 6,752 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 17:25

ScarbsF1
Twitter

Didn't ATM_Andy elude to this abut 2 weeks before he announced he was leaving williams??

#7 Francesc

Francesc

• 5,025 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 18:24

Good luck with Sam Michael, you will need it.

#8 The Polemic

The Polemic

• 80 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 18:28

Good luck with Sam Michael, you will need it.

Snowplough, secondary air intake, etc...guess all of us know where them came from.

#9 Darth Sidious

Darth Sidious

• 995 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 18:59

ScarbsF1
Twitter

Cool, that'll be Button building his own dream team a la Schumy/Ferrari. Next thing you know Newey will return to a Ron-less McLaren, Whitmarsh will become head of the FIA and Lewis will step aside for Ralfy.

Who needs crystal balls?

On a more serious note - in what role and for God's sake why?

#10 Iridescent

Iridescent

• 348 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 19:08

Sam Michael is a capable engineer, so he won't be forced to take a sabbatical even if he doesn't end up at McLaren.

#11 ashnathan

ashnathan

• 5,018 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 19:38

To add to the sam michael discussion, he was micro managed by frank williams, he couldnt just make decisions on his own, it all went through frank and its no secret frank likes things done his way. Jury still out on sam, he might take pat fry's role? Lets wait and see.

#12 mclarensmps

mclarensmps

• 8,638 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 19:57

I think he will be a great addition to the team, to be honest. He should fit in well with the matrix system, with a specialized job to do.

#13 ATM_Andy

ATM_Andy

• 1,482 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 20:29

It's weird, I guess that opinion of Sam's ability are judged primaraly by results here. I can tell you he's very highly thought of elsewhere. I suppose it's all based on context.

#14 Slowinfastout

Slowinfastout

• 9,681 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 20:34

It's weird, I guess that opinion of Sam's ability are judged primaraly by results here. I can tell you he's very highly thought of elsewhere. I suppose it's all based on context.

You guys talk to each others and you hear about the actual work someone might be doing, good or bad..

Here it's strictly about the results and whatever the press would say.

#15 Iridescent

Iridescent

• 348 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 20:42

You guys talk to each others and you hear about the actual work someone might be doing, good or bad..

Here it's strictly about the results and whatever the press would say.

I don't know, about the bolded part esp, since the media is hardly objective.

But really, I've always said that success is very relative in F1 and no single man can make the difference. People may expect that every team can win if only they hire Newey, but I can guarantee you they won't.

That said, Sam is really high regarded and I hope he gets the chance to prove himself in another team.

#16 TeamMacca

TeamMacca

• 534 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 20:49

2002 : 2nd
2003 : 2nd
2004 : 4th (Michael takes over)
2005 : 5th
2006 : 8th
2007 : 4th
2008 : 8th
2009 : 7th
2010 : 6th
2011 : 9th (so far)

#17 SCUDmissile

SCUDmissile

• 8,785 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 20:52

to be honest, I don't think he is that bad. the 2009 Williams was a good car, and I reckon if he s less in the 'pressure cooker' then he will do well.

#18 TeamMacca

TeamMacca

• 534 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 20:53

Tomorrows headlines - "Mclaren hire Sam Michael", "Jenson Button to leave Mclaren at the end of the season"

#19 OwenC93

OwenC93

• 1,850 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 20:57

A hell of a lot more happened in those years than just Sam Micheal. He's a really clever guy and many people speak highly of him. Not entirely sure what his role will be though, whether someone is getting a promotion or making way for him.

Advertisement

#20 loki0420

loki0420

• 997 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 20:59

since Williams lost BMW along with other major sponsors it was not in his hands to turn that ship around

#21 Kvothe

Kvothe

• 7,463 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 21:10

Yes i heard that he was thought of as a new Adrian Newey, so Im guessing he'll be in Aerodynamics somewhere.
I really have no idea why he's so criticized, from what i heard and read he had to manage a lot of stuff by himself and take on several roles, even Rubens thought it was a big mistake to let him go.

There's a really good interview with him on an episode of the flying lap, I'd advise you all to check it out before you your mind up
http://smibs.tv/the-...n-grand-prix-f1

#22 midgrid

midgrid
  • RC Forum Host

• 10,153 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 21:20

Tomorrows headlines - "Mclaren hire Sam Michael", "Jenson Button to leave Mclaren at the end of the season"

Sam Michael should prove to be a capable Number Two driver. :p

#23 PNSD

PNSD

• 3,276 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 21:30

It's all to do with the was Lewis was managing the dynamic behind Michael. If it had of been the other way around you'd have seen the same thing.

There's no doubting he's had a difficult time at Williams, but he was technical director for a reason. He rose up through the F1 ladder for a reason. Most will look at the results Williams have got an question his ability whilst others will, and should see that to place the fault on one man alone is poor judgement. Williams have been a poor team of late and people think its easier to blame Sam and so that's what is done.

#24 Fastcake

Fastcake

• 12,551 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 21:46

I've always thought the blame on Williams downfall this past decade resting solely on Sam Michaels shoulders to be wrong. His joining the team and taking over as Technical Director coincided with Williams ending the partnership with BMW, together with the team gradually losing sponsorship and Michaels being given less and less resources to play with. From what we've heard, he was greatly overworked and was not able to hire a good team to work with him, not to mention rumours of problems with Head and the other top management. He may not of been perfect, but no engineer is, and the top technical staff always attract widespread criticism when the team's performance is poor, without looking at reasons.

I know I'd be happy for him to be working at McLaren, the FW31 was a decent car, and Williams have until this year been competitive points scorers.

#25 bogi

bogi

• 4,105 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 21:48

Sam Michael = ultra low gearbox tips&tricks

#26 Kvothe

Kvothe

• 7,463 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 21:51

Yeah, i commented on this thread earlier in the year about how much the gearbox of the williams could help the L shaped sidepods concept

Posted Image

#27 FSLIV

FSLIV

• 575 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 00:08

I've always thought the blame on Williams downfall this past decade resting solely on Sam Michaels shoulders to be wrong. His joining the team and taking over as Technical Director coincided with Williams ending the partnership with BMW, together with the team gradually losing sponsorship and Michaels being given less and less resources to play with. From what we've heard, he was greatly overworked and was not able to hire a good team to work with him, not to mention rumours of problems with Head and the other top management. He may not of been perfect, but no engineer is, and the top technical staff always attract widespread criticism when the team's performance is poor, without looking at reasons.

I know I'd be happy for him to be working at McLaren, the FW31 was a decent car, and Williams have until this year been competitive points scorers.

I completely agree!

#28 BigCHrome

BigCHrome

• 4,049 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 02:09

Sam Michael is a capable engineer, so he won't be forced to take a sabbatical even if he doesn't end up at McLaren.

Why won't have to take a sabbatical? I thought whenever an employee in F1 switches teams they must go on gardening leave first.

Yep,next year Mac will be nowhere.Ferrari were scary good in Silverstone and RB will always be ahead due to the Newey effect. Sad really.

That's a very silly statement. This year's car is not designed to work without the ebd.

Their budget and driver ability has also steadily decreased since then.

#29 OO7

OO7

• 23,405 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 02:47

Hi Andy

A few races back during coverage of the FP sessions on the red button, it was the opinion of the commentators (from their various sources) that Sam Michaels was having to deal with much more that he should at Williams, essentially taking the responsiblity/lead of multiple positions and tasks.

#30 john_smith

john_smith

• 243 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 02:52

I've always thought Michael's potential hasn't been able to shine through within Williams, partly due to the weight on his shoulders but mainly because of Patrick Head's overbearingness and inability to let go.

Just look at Michael's comments following the pre-season tests over the past couple of years. rather than reporting on the team's progress and prospects for the upcoming year, the comments all sound like justifications and excuses for what went wrong during the tests.

#31 loki0420

loki0420

• 997 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 07:59

Though it's interesting to read about Sam Michael i'd wait until official announcement because if SUDDENLY he leaves to Mercedes this conversation would make not much sense here.

#32 SNiko

SNiko

• 1,079 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 08:11

Sam Michael is manager, not an engineer or designer. He has some technical background, but he doesn't directly designs the car's parts.

#33 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,736 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 08:18

People may not like my opinion - but he was a leader at Williams and didnt make the hard decisions to stop the slide. Dont really want that at McLaren.

Was he allowed to?

#34 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,736 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 08:23

Why won't have to take a sabbatical? I thought whenever an employee in F1 switches teams they must go on gardening leave first.

It all depends on their contract and even if there is a clause the team can waive it.

#35 Smitla321

Smitla321

• 337 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 09:13

I personally have no doubts in his ability, but surely the results is all that matters in a cut throat sport like F1?

This is why i think people have doubts..................................Not me though!!

Edited by Smitla321, 13 September 2011 - 09:16.

#36 bogi

bogi

• 4,105 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 11:04

f1fanatic_co_uk F1 Fanatic
McLaren have announced Sam Michael has joined them as sporting director. #F1

lest than a minute ago :lol:

Edited by bogi, 13 September 2011 - 11:05.

#37 loki0420

loki0420

• 997 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 11:04

Official now!

http://www.mclaren.c...orting-director

#38 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,736 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 11:07

Official now!

Good move. Mac are strengthening the team all round. Now just get the driver contracts sorted and design a rocketship.

#39 bogi

bogi

• 4,105 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 11:19

Can someone (Andy) explain to me what is the job of sporting director and this ''specific responsibility for the development and management of the team's trackside operations''.

Advertisement

#40 fauxhemian

fauxhemian

• 639 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 11:26

Can someone (Andy) explain to me what is the job of sporting director and this ''specific responsibility for the development and management of the team's trackside operations''.

Perhaps it's ''specific responsibility for avoiding further strategy and pit stop screw ups''.

#41 OwenC93

OwenC93

• 1,850 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 11:40

Perhaps it's ''specific responsibility for avoiding further strategy and pit stop screw ups''.

I gave it a google and the last sporting director I saw was Dave Ryan, and that didn't end to well lol.

#42 BinaryDad

BinaryDad

• 1,017 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 11:45

Official now!

Not sure how I feel about this. From what I've read, he's highly thought off through out the paddock despite the lack of success at Williams. He seems to be the right sort of guy for the job though, if you look at his past experience, especially while at Jordan.

I guess it doesn't really matter what I think about the move, I just hope he can help bring more success to Mclaren.

#43 BillBald

BillBald

• 5,819 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 11:58

f1fanatic_co_uk F1 Fanatic
McLaren have announced Sam Michael has joined them as sporting director. #F1

'Sporting director' sounds like a senior position. Does anyone know where it fits into the McLaren hierarchy?

#44 bogi

bogi

• 4,105 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 12:21

@JensonButton
Great news! RT @TheFifthDriver: Vodafone McLaren Mercedes hires Sam Michael as Sporting Director http://tinyurl.com/6ctgvdw
5 minutes ago

That means,

ANOTHER ENEMY FOR HAMILTON :eek:

#45 bogi

bogi

• 4,105 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 12:29

Time to get serious;

Samuel David "Sam" Michael (born 29 April 1971) is technical director of WilliamsF1, a Formula One constructor. He was born in Western Australia and grew up in Canberra.[1] After studying Mechanical Engineering at the University of New South Wales with a thesis on data acquisition systems for racing cars, he worked with the Formula Holden team. The team owner, Gregg Siddle, employed him on a part-time basis so that Michael could continue his studies.[2]
He was recruited by Lotus in 1993. After Team Lotus went bankrupt in 1994 Gary Anderson, the chief designer at Jordan Grand Prix, took Michael on. He established the team's research and development department. He spent two years working in the Jordan factory on data acquisition. He also installed a seven-post rig for simulating suspension movement and designing an active differential.[2]
In 1997, Michael joined the Jordan test team. In 1998 he was promoted to race engineer for Ralf Schumacher. When the German departed to go to Williams in 1999, Michael inherited Heinz-Harald Frentzen. The Michael/Frentzen partnership was successful, resulting in a win at the French Grand Prix at Circuit de Nevers Magny-Cours, and then again at the Italian Grand Prix at Monza.[1]
In 2001, Sir Frank Williams brought Michael to Williams as Senior Operations Engineer. He took over the responsibility of managing the engineers at races and tests.
In May 2004, Michael was promoted to Technical Director of Williams, when Patrick Head moved sideways to head the team's research and development division.[2] Following the worst start in Williams' history, Michael resigned from the team in early May 2011 and will leave from the end of the 2011 season.[3]
In 2012 he will join McLaren as their sporting director.

From wikipedia.

#46 Kimiraikkonen

Kimiraikkonen

• 2,820 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 12:33

Sam Michael = Pat Fry place on McLaren Team?

#47 bogi

bogi

• 4,105 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 12:34

Sam Michael = Pat Fry place on McLaren Team?

Lol no,

Tim Goss = Pat Fry - Chief engineer
Sam Michael - Sporting director

#48 GreyArrow

GreyArrow

• 281 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 12:35

Time to get serious;

From wikipedia.

Erm - serious information from Wikipedia? :drunk:

#49 Iridescent

Iridescent

• 348 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 12:39

Cause he'll stop attending races after Singapore.

The role of the sporting director varies among teams but isn't technical. It has most to do with understanding the Sporting Regulations and dealing with the FIA, as well as overseeing the work that the whole team does over the race weekend. Wishing Sam all the best on his new job.

#50 bogi

bogi

• 4,105 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 12:40

Erm - serious information from Wikipedia? :drunk:

http://www.grandprix...ref-micsam.html

Is this one better?