Photo

F-duct part deux

• Please log in to reply
144 replies to this topic

#1 F.M.

F.M.

• 5,577 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 09:59

According to AMuS, Mercedes is developing a FW F-duct for their 2012 car, which they have tested in Suzuka

Posted Image

When I first read it, I was pretty sceptical as this hole in the nose is normally used for cooling the cockpit and its electronics, however there are some interesting pictures from Suzuka:

The hole features a splitter
Posted Image

Extra cooling slot on the nose, plus closed of tub. So the air from the nose can't reach the cockpit/electronics
Posted Image

Supposed outlet (Edit: slots are more the inside and on the underside of the wing, see drawing)
Posted Image

Driven both open and closed off
Posted Image

Inspection
Posted Image

http://www.auto-moto...12-4051930.html

Don't feel like translating it myself, so parts of google translate:

Normally, the oval hole in the tip of the nose glued shut MGPW02. In Suzuka it was open. You could see a split in the middle hole. Through this air is introduced into the front wings. Example for this system is the F-duct in the rear wing, which came into fashion in the preseason.

The air is then passed via a pipe system from the front wing stilts in the right and left of the main sheet. If the back pressure a certain amount, the air blows on the underside of the wing with a total of four slots. The driver, the system must not like the F-duct aktvieren manually in the previous year.

The trick to flow under the wing towards the underbody is calmed. By how much, about the experts disagree. McLaren boss Martin Whitmarsh is estimated between five and eight km / h. He notes, however, that this technique is difficult to get a grip. Mercedes could have pulled so early with his development beginning in the lottery."If you make a start now, is already late."

Whitmarsh believes that other teams now will also start developing this technology. The technical regulations are so restrictive that you have to use every little loophole.

Edited by F.M., 18 October 2011 - 10:07.

Advertisement

#2 F.M.

F.M.

• 5,577 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 10:07

Edit: fourth picture is not the outlet. The wing has slots on the underside as pictured in the drawing

Edited by F.M., 18 October 2011 - 10:10.

#3 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,748 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 10:09

Ok I can see how this might condition the airflow, but it's not an F-duct.

#4 F.M.

F.M.

• 5,577 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 10:10

Ok I can see how this might condition the airflow, but it's not an F-duct.

Based on the same principle, that's why they (and I) call it F-duct

Edited by F.M., 18 October 2011 - 10:10.

#5 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,748 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 10:13

Based on the same principle, that's why they (and I) call it F-duct

But it's not really is it? The F-duct was so called, not because it pumped air to the wing, but because it was driver controlled. This isn't as that's against the rules.

#6 RoutariEnjinu

RoutariEnjinu

• 2,442 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 10:19

If it works, and it really is a static system that changes dynamically as speed increases, it's GENIUS.

#7 muramasa

muramasa

• 8,479 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 10:21

Cool.

But I wonder how long it will take for them to ban it...

#8 arknor

arknor

• 2,298 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 10:28

Cool.

probabky before the season starts now everyone knows about it , or it gets copied before the first race anyway

Edited by arknor, 18 October 2011 - 10:28.

#9 bogi

bogi

• 4,105 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 10:38

How the hell you trigger separation?

#10 Fastcake

Fastcake

• 12,553 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 10:42

Cool.

Is there any reason to ban it? It's not driver controlled.

#11 wingwalker

wingwalker

• 7,238 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 10:45

If there is a flap that can be opened or closed how can it pass the no moveable aero devices rule?

#12 GlenP

GlenP

• 3,403 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 10:47

I think passive fluid switches like that will probably stay legal, because all over the car there are features which only work when the air reaches a certain speed/energy, which is effectively the same thing.

What I can see them banning is ducting within bodywork that delivers air to another place, although that is problematic because you obviously have cooling air ducts and it would be tricky to differentiate between a practical cooling purpose and an aerodynamic device.

#13 pRy

pRy

• 26,341 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 10:47

Sort of gives the game away a bit running a part like that in October. I doubt it's going to make much difference otherwise surely they'd have saved it for testing.

#14 GeoffR

GeoffR

• 694 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 10:49

Could other teams also be using similar systems? I seem to recall a number of comments regarding the cables/pipes in the Red Bull front wing when Vettel went off in wet practice at Turkey (?). Nearly all the cars appear to have the hole in the nose these days.

#15 F.M.

F.M.

• 5,577 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 10:58

Because it's passive it is way more difficult to get it right than the driver activated F-duct. Mercedes has a huge advantage by testing it this early.

Remeber how much McLaren were experimenting with the F-duct in pre-season testing and how long it took teams to get it right? This is something that is very difficult to test properly in a windtunnel, you need to test it on track to evaluate it.

#16 Timstr11

Timstr11

• 11,162 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 11:02

Mercedes already has a lot of experience with a passive F-duct, as their rear wing system from last year was supposedly passive.

#17 One

One

• 6,527 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 11:02

a decoy horse?

#18 Coops3

Coops3

• 1,841 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 11:19

I don't get it. Why divert the air, only to direct it back in the direction it was originally travelling anyway?

#19 Owen

Owen

• 13,178 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 11:25

It's not even April 1st. :confused:

Advertisement

#20 Massa

Massa

• 10,114 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 11:29

If it works, and it really is a static system that changes dynamically as speed increases, it's GENIUS.

Yes, well done Mercedes

#21 GlenP

GlenP

• 3,403 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 11:30

I don't get it. Why divert the air, only to direct it back in the direction it was originally travelling anyway?

I think the idea might be that below a certain speed no air would emerge through the convoluted passage, but when the magic speed is reached it is then forced through and starts flowing, stalling that element of the front wing, or maybe changing the condition and flow of the air further back on or under the car.

#22 Coops3

Coops3

• 1,841 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 11:32

I think the idea might be that below a certain speed no air would emerge through the convoluted passage, but when the magic speed is reached it is then forced through and starts flowing, stalling that element of the front wing, or maybe changing the condition and flow of the air further back on or under the car.

Ah ok, cheers. That's plausible I guess.

#23 One

One

• 6,527 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 11:36

Yes, if it works, i operates in the difference of air pressure between the tip of the nose and the bottom of the wing. Tip of the nose has high pressure point so if the ducting through the nose and CENTER SECTION OF FIA MANDATORY WING has a suitable pattern, perhaps up to certain level no air can penetrate the system. I guess at some point, the slit under the wing begin to suck. More interestingly, how should this work behind a race car in a close battle? I guess it has less pressure, so it does not work, hence higher front down force. out of slip stream, tata.... less drug.... Should it be drivable after all these, ... it the things to test.

Why should it be so difficult to make one of those just tomorrow in a Formula One garage where full of phD's are hanging out?

#24 GlenP

GlenP

• 3,403 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 11:50

Good point about the dirty air closing it. Maybe.

#25 KiloWatt

KiloWatt

• 1,296 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 12:04

What idiot leaked this to the press? I hope he (or she, I'm not sexist) gets fired and never gets another job in motorsport.

#26 puxanando

puxanando

• 3,538 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 12:17

What idiot leaked this to the press? I hope he (or she, I'm not sexist) gets fired and never gets another job in motorsport.

:rotfl:

Perhaps we will have an interesting winter with a lot of "spying"...........

#27 One

One

• 6,527 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 12:20

George did it?

#28 King Six

King Six

• 3,230 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 12:22

I bet that Mercedes nose logo has something to do with it, why the hell would it be there, it just juts out of the bodywork, they might aswell have the old style flip up one that chavs like to nick.

Or not, it's Mercedes after all, sometimes Aerodynamicists just need to take one for the team.

Seriously though, I remember noticing something odd with the ducting at the front of the W02 before but it never registered that they could be doing this.

#29 F.M.

F.M.

• 5,577 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 12:31

Doens't really matter, even without it being published it is known to the teams; Whitmarsh is commenting about it in the article and he probably wouldn't be saying things about it if a journalist just pops up and asks him what he thinks of the Mercedes FW F-duct when he knows nothing about it.

#30 Ferrari2183

Ferrari2183

• 11,577 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 12:33

The media is a F1 teams worst enemy. Expect everybody to start developing this asap. It is actually quite smart.

#31 KirilVarbanov

KirilVarbanov

• 866 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 12:44

Such a cool thing that early? I doubt. To the same extent I doubt that the teams aren't using something like this already.

#32 engel

engel

• 5,037 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 12:51

The media is a F1 teams worst enemy. Expect everybody to start developing this asap. It is actually quite smart.

Alternatively Ross is testing the waters with a simplistic system he can get through as legal then replace with a much more sophisticated solution based on the same principle ;)

#33 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 12:58

At least Mercedes give us something to talk about.

#34 johnmhinds

johnmhinds

• 7,292 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 13:39

I bet that Mercedes nose logo has something to do with it, why the hell would it be there, it just juts out of the bodywork, they might aswell have the old style flip up one that chavs like to nick.

Or not, it's Mercedes after all, sometimes Aerodynamicists just need to take one for the team.

Seriously though, I remember noticing something odd with the ducting at the front of the W02 before but it never registered that they could be doing this.

Huh? The Mercedes logo on the nose is just a decal. It doesn't stick up out of the nose.

#35 FTATRWeSaluteYou

FTATRWeSaluteYou

• 473 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 13:39

This is why Ross Brawn wants DRS banned. He is getting desperate after his failures for so many years, and getting schooled by Newey.

#36 Spa95

Spa95

• 861 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 13:44

Huh? The Mercedes logo on the nose is just a decal. It doesn't stick up out of the nose.

http://forums.autosp...p;#entry4893970

#37 GlenP

GlenP

• 3,403 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 13:46

It is airbrushed on! There was even a BBC build up show where they showed it being done.

#38 zelpre

zelpre

• 275 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 13:46

Auto Motor und Sport said McLaren boss Martin Whitmarsh is aware of the innovation and the head-start now enjoyed by Mercedes.

“If you make a start now, it’s already too late,” he said, predicting that other teams will nonetheless also experiment with the idea.

English:
http://www.yallaf1.c...-duct-for-2012/

#39 Timstr11

Timstr11

• 11,162 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 13:59

Mercedes’ new idea is to redirect more undisturbed air through the floor of the car.

:confused:

It's to primarily stall the front wing. Not to redirect air under the floor.
After a year of explanations on how the F-duct works, some F1 journo's still don't have a clue.

Advertisement

#40 GlenP

GlenP

• 3,403 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 14:09

:confused:

It's to primarily stall the front wing. Not to redirect air under the floor.
After a year of explanations on how the F-duct works, some F1 journo's still don't have a clue.

I wouldn't be so confident about that. Just because it has f-duct-like qualities doesn't mean it does the same thing. That's a pretty small bit of wing that it is stalling. Plus the front wing's proliferation of details are as much about conditioning airflow as they are about making downforce.

#41 johnmhinds

johnmhinds

• 7,292 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 14:09

The logo does seem to be raised in this shot:
Posted Image

So I stand corrected.

Edited by johnmhinds, 18 October 2011 - 14:10.

#42 GlenP

GlenP

• 3,403 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 14:17

Oh. Is that the launch car or something though? I'm positive it is painted on the race cars.

#43 Spa95

Spa95

• 861 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 14:24

It is airbrushed on! There was even a BBC build up show where they showed it being done.

They used an old Brawn (or even Honda) nose cone for that build up feature! :rolleyes:

Edited by Spa95, 18 October 2011 - 14:26.

#44 zelpre

zelpre

• 275 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 14:37

Posted Image

So I stand corrected.

WTF?

What about this then:
- look 2:27

#45 zelpre

zelpre

• 275 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 14:38

They used an old Brawn (or even Honda) nose cone for that build up feature! :rolleyes:

Oh yes! You're right. The nose is more oval...

I still hardly believe that the mercedes logo is actually 3D...

#46 GlenP

GlenP

• 3,403 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 14:42

OK. Why the rolleyes?

#47 zelpre

zelpre

• 275 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 14:55

Posted Image

So I stand corrected.

It is painted here:

Posted Image

Edited by zelpre, 18 October 2011 - 14:55.

#48 cheapracer

cheapracer

• 10,388 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 15:07

This is why Ross Brawn wants DRS banned. He is getting desperate after his failures for so many years, and getting schooled by Newey.

Did you mean the 2009 WCC and WDC winning team owner Ross Brawn or Ross Brown?

#49 OfficeLinebacker

OfficeLinebacker

• 14,088 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 15:26

That is so weird how it's a decal that has height in some cases and in others it's painted on. Surely there's a very good and important reason for this?

#50 smitten

smitten

• 4,982 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 15:29

That is so weird how it's a decal that has height in some cases and in others it's painted on. Surely there's a very good and important reason for this?

Maybe it depends whether is is being raced or used for promotions?