Photo

Indian GP - FP3 and Qualifying Thread

• Please log in to reply
304 replies to this topic

#251 Concorde

Concorde

• 782 posts

Posted 29 October 2011 - 17:27

There is nothing to investigate. At no time did Vettel leave the track completely, not at 1.11 or 1.12 in that video recording. He always had a part of the wheel on the white line.

I know and even IF he did it's all a non-issue.
The qualy result stands no matter how many fans come up with grainy stills. :cool:

Advertisement

#252 anti

anti

• 513 posts

Posted 29 October 2011 - 17:37

I know and even IF he did it's all a non-issue.
The qualy result stands no matter how many fans come up with grainy stills. :cool:

Of course, it's not Hamilton :cool:

Edited by anti, 29 October 2011 - 17:38.

#253 Ferrari2183

Ferrari2183

• 11,571 posts

Posted 29 October 2011 - 17:39

I would like see what line the other drivers took through there.

Like so many others have said the result stands but it does look fishy...

#254 senna da silva

senna da silva

• 5,750 posts

Posted 29 October 2011 - 17:44

that was a mistake by vettel wasn't it? the rear got a bit loose and he must've lost time going that way

he went faster on his second lap so it's not an issue

He was off the track on his second lap as well as is shown on the previous page.  ;)

#255 f1fastestlap

f1fastestlap

• 2,373 posts

Posted 29 October 2011 - 17:46

He was off the track on his second lap as well as is shown on the previous page. ;)

So he may have got his 0.039sec advantage by going like he did... :cool:

#256 D.M.N.

D.M.N.
  • RC Forum Host

• 7,491 posts

Posted 29 October 2011 - 17:52

No one protested the Qualifying result so you would assume no one had a problem with it. Also, Vettel's gap was 4 tenths. Did he really make up 4 tenths in that corner? No, I don't think so, somehow.

#257 senna da silva

senna da silva

• 5,750 posts

Posted 29 October 2011 - 17:54

So he may have got his 0.039sec advantage by going like he did... :cool:

I think what is important in this case is that it's a dangerous precedent to set. Cutting the track is against the regulations and here we have a clear cut case of a driver doing just that without any review from the stewards.

#258 anti

anti

• 513 posts

Posted 29 October 2011 - 18:00

No one protested the Qualifying result so you would assume no one had a problem with it. Also, Vettel's gap was 4 tenths. Did he really make up 4 tenths in that corner? No, I don't think so, somehow.

Vettel would still be on pole, but this is irrelevant.
Hamilton in France in 2008 was fined for a similar incident, though by that time had overtaken Vettel.

#259 Muppetmad

Muppetmad

• 11,213 posts

Posted 29 October 2011 - 18:02

Well, Hamilton's lap at Monaco got nullified for cutting the chicane, even though he still finished poorly anyway. Vettel clearly was off the track twice, so the matter *ought* to be investigated.

Advertisement

#260 Schumacher7

Schumacher7

• 776 posts

Posted 29 October 2011 - 18:04

that's a bad excuse...there seem to be no problem with nico's car...why they bungled with schumi's equipments.. :rolleyes:

Did you even read it? It's not Schumacher or Rosberg's equipment, it's the TEAMS. It's used to check all the tyres are in balance and the reason it didn't (if it's true and I'm not saying it is) affect Rosberg but did Schumacher is because it was an issue with Schumacher's tyres, Rosberg's were, presumably, fine and had they had the rig to test the tyres Michael's would have ended up fine as well (assuming it was an out of balance wheel).

#261 jamiegc

jamiegc

• 2,429 posts

Posted 29 October 2011 - 18:08

I think what is important in this case is that it's a dangerous precedent to set. Cutting the track is against the regulations and here we have a clear cut case of a driver doing just that without any review from the stewards.

Except you do not know whether or not concession has been made at that particular corner ala Turn 4 in Melbourne.

#262 f1fastestlap

f1fastestlap

• 2,373 posts

Posted 29 October 2011 - 18:17

Except you do not know whether or not concession has been made at that particular corner ala Turn 4 in Melbourne.

Hmm, no official document from the FIA so no concession, I'm afraid...

#263 MortenF1

MortenF1

• 23,746 posts

Posted 29 October 2011 - 18:25

Very good to very impressive lap from Vettel, but I think Webber could've been as close as on his first Q3-run, if he'd only done it.
Same goes for Hamilton, but if anything his lap was probably better. Shame that Button lost the balance again, even if it's been a handful of races since the last time.

Massa was on course for matching or perhaps even beating Alonso again, so that his suspension got knocked off was a shame.

Rosberg smashed Schumacher, the Toro Rosso's continue to improve, and the Saubers go in the opposite direction.

Hopefully Vettel will have a bad start tomorrow, and lose atleast one position - else he'll just disappear into the distance.

#264 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Vettel's first lap in Q3:

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Maybe Charlie allowed to cut in this corner.. :down:

What did Vettel gained in there? if anything, I thought excursion of that kind would slow him down.

#265 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

What did Vettel gained in there? if anything, I thought excursion of that kind would slow him down.

#266 joshb

joshb

• 3,387 posts

Posted 29 October 2011 - 18:26

Well, Hamilton's lap at Monaco got nullified for cutting the chicane, even though he still finished poorly anyway. Vettel clearly was off the track twice, so the matter *ought* to be investigated.

Theres a slight difference between running out wide and straightlining a chicane like Hamilton did at Monaco.

#267 Fox1

Fox1

• 713 posts

Posted 29 October 2011 - 18:32

Lots of excuses for Seb leaving the track during his runs. I thought "Rules are Rules!! Where are these people when you need em.

#268 senna da silva

senna da silva

• 5,750 posts

Posted 29 October 2011 - 18:33

Theres a slight difference between running out wide and straightlining a chicane like Hamilton did at Monaco.

He's not on the outside of a corner!

#269 f1fastestlap

f1fastestlap

• 2,373 posts

Posted 29 October 2011 - 18:35

He's not on the outside of a corner!

:up:

Oh the excuses....

#270 AMG FAN

AMG FAN

• 890 posts

Posted 29 October 2011 - 18:47

There is nothing to investigate. At no time did Vettel leave the track completely, not at 1.11 or 1.12 in that video recording. He always had a part of the wheel on the white line.

really? because it looks to me that he went off track completely unless he has a rear end wider than it should be.

#271 muramasa

muramasa

• 8,479 posts

Posted 29 October 2011 - 18:49

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image

Button:
Posted Image Posted Image

Senna:
Posted Image

Just not all onboard videos, I'm sure Charlie is all there.

Posted Image

#272 jamiegc

jamiegc

• 2,429 posts

Posted 29 October 2011 - 19:33

Hmm, no official document from the FIA so no concession, I'm afraid...

Of course that doesn't mean that somebody in passing mentioned that corner during the driver briefing and were told they could ride the curb.

But anyway, every team will have during their qualifying debrief, watched both Vettel's laps. If any if the other team had the slightest problem they'd have taken it up with Whiting and had both laps expunged.

#273 CrucialXtreme

CrucialXtreme

• 4,414 posts

Posted 29 October 2011 - 19:39

I'm not a VET or RBR fan, not in the least, and I will agree that what he did is cutting it close, I don't think he or any other driver should be penalized for it.

#274 anti

anti

• 513 posts

Posted 29 October 2011 - 20:07

Posted Image - Hamilton cutting at Monaco, time annulled

#275 loki

loki

• 12,250 posts

Posted 29 October 2011 - 20:07

Excellent circuit. Fast, enjoyable racing. :up:

#276 fagotti69

fagotti69

• 19 posts

Posted 29 October 2011 - 20:09

Brilliant job Seb, well done.

#277 MortenF1

MortenF1

• 23,746 posts

Posted 29 October 2011 - 21:01

Oh, and thumbs up to Karthikeyan! That was impressive, really impressive. Matching Ricciardo's times with very limited running.

#278 Tenmantaylor

Tenmantaylor

• 18,124 posts

Posted 29 October 2011 - 21:15

Where Seb put all 4 wheels over the white line; that is running wide, not cutting a corner. There is a slight apex to hit there but cutting it isn't a big advantage like cutting a chicane. It's more akin to running wide out of Ascari without the advantage of carrying the speed down a long straight. No problem here, he was winding of the steering not struggling to make an apex. Move along.

#279 MortenF1

MortenF1

• 23,746 posts

Posted 29 October 2011 - 21:18

I'm not interested really, but it was not running wide, it was going far left in a left-hand corner, which is moving towards "cutting" the corner, but IMO he hasn't committed a crime.

Advertisement

#280 senna da silva

senna da silva

• 5,750 posts

Posted 29 October 2011 - 21:27

Oh, and thumbs up to Karthikeyan! That was impressive, really impressive. Matching Ricciardo's times with very limited running.

Either Karthikeyan is the next greatest thing or Danny Ricky is very overrated. I'm thinking it's the latter.

#281 williams96

williams96

• 986 posts

Posted 29 October 2011 - 21:45

Very limited running? Hasn't he done more laps this weekend than Ricciardo. :well:

#282 krapmeister

krapmeister

• 11,624 posts

Posted 29 October 2011 - 23:30

Either Karthikeyan is the next greatest thing or Danny Ricky is very overrated. I'm thinking it's the latter.

Or perhaps Narain had the qualy of his life at his home GP and Ricciardo had a poor one? One swallow does not a summer make.

Even Vettel has had a poor qualy session before, believe it or not...

#283 King Six

King Six

• 3,230 posts

Posted 30 October 2011 - 00:19

Or perhaps Narain had the qualy of his life at his home GP and Ricciardo had a poor one? One swallow does not a summer make.

Even Vettel has had a poor qualy session before, believe it or not...

I honestly don't understand the Ricciardo hype one bit. Karthikeyan was never a completely useless driver anyway. This forum only deals in hyperboles.

Edited by King Six, 30 October 2011 - 00:19.

#284 BigCHrome

BigCHrome

• 4,049 posts

Posted 30 October 2011 - 05:38

Where Seb put all 4 wheels over the white line; that is running wide, not cutting a corner. There is a slight apex to hit there but cutting it isn't a big advantage like cutting a chicane. It's more akin to running wide out of Ascari without the advantage of carrying the speed down a long straight. No problem here, he was winding of the steering not struggling to make an apex. Move along.

No, when you go wide like that you carry more speed through the corner than fair drivers that actually keep it between the white lines.

#285 jamiegc

jamiegc

• 2,429 posts

Posted 30 October 2011 - 07:00

I honestly don't understand the Ricciardo hype one bit. Karthikeyan was never a completely useless driver anyway. This forum only deals in hyperboles.

Would tend to agree. The 'uncomfortable truth' is that Ricciardo in his second season of WSR was beaten by Wickens, Vergne & Rossi. All WSR debutants and all future F1 drivers. Must be pretty embarrassing for Marko watching Wickens so far ahead of Ricciardo.

#286 Andrew Hope

Andrew Hope

• 7,911 posts

Posted 30 October 2011 - 07:07

This forum only deals in hyperboles.

Quote of the year.

#287 krapmeister

krapmeister

• 11,624 posts

Posted 30 October 2011 - 07:11

Would tend to agree. The 'uncomfortable truth' is that Ricciardo in his second season of WSR was beaten by Wickens, Vergne & Rossi. All WSR debutants and all future F1 drivers. Must be pretty embarrassing for Marko watching Wickens so far ahead of Ricciardo.

TBF though Ricciardo also had his F1 commitments to deal with while the others could focus solely on WSR, and iirc he changed teams from the season before - to a team that was generally not thought to be as good.

He may or may not live up to the hype. However, for all Marko's fault's - the 'uncomfortable truth' is that if he didn't see anything that special in him he wouldn't have bothered putting all this effort into him (placing him at HRT etc)...

#288 MortenF1

MortenF1

• 23,746 posts

Posted 30 October 2011 - 07:18

Very limited running? Hasn't he done more laps this weekend than Ricciardo. :well:

Errr, Ricciardo has been with the team a handful of times, whereas Karthikeyan only drove the car first time competitively on Friday. That's what I mean by limited running obviously.

#289 Alonso111

Alonso111

• 59 posts

Posted 30 October 2011 - 07:19

Karthikeyen isnt as bad as some people think , i would like to see him in a faster car but there are no seats available for him now , unless Sahara decide to give him a chance

This is what button said about him few days back -

"We have raced together in Formula 3 and I found that Narain is extremely skilled. We raced once at the Brands Hatch and he was quick, no one could touch him. I think he is just unlucky to be in one of the slowest cars in Formula One," Button

#290 chivdog

chivdog

• 69 posts

Posted 30 October 2011 - 07:24

According to quite a few posters on this BB: Vettel, Alonso, Hamilton, Button, Kimi and/or pretty much every other current and former f1 driver (yes, even, A. Senna) is or was overrated..

I think DR is doing what he needs to do at the moment. If he truly is overrated by the people that matter then I'm sure he'll be given the boot. In the meanwhile i'm quite enjoying watching his, and HRT's, progress relative to MVR.

#291 krapmeister

krapmeister

• 11,624 posts

Posted 30 October 2011 - 07:24

Errr, Ricciardo has been with the team a handful of times, whereas Karthikeyan only drove the car first time competitively on Friday. That's what I mean by limited running obviously.

Not to take anything away from him, he did have some FP1 sessions in the last couple of GP's - but he has still done a stellar job so far...

#292 Mastah

Mastah

• 3,679 posts

Posted 30 October 2011 - 07:48

Stewards are clearly biased towards McLaren, Ferrari and Red Bull:

Monza 2004

Posted Image

Hockenheim 2006

Posted Image

Buddh 2011

Posted Image

Poor Mercedes, Renault, Force India, Sauber, Toro Rosso, Williams, Lotus, HRT, Virgin :|.

#293 MortenF1

MortenF1

• 23,746 posts

Posted 30 October 2011 - 07:49

Oh, OK. But still, he's got far less mileage in the car than Ricciardo (and Liuzzi).

#294 MortenF1

MortenF1

• 23,746 posts

Posted 30 October 2011 - 07:51

Mastah, it seems you don't understand the concept of "cutting a corner", ie making the track shorter. You've compared yesterday with cars running slightly wide on exit.
But again, I stress I don't think what Vettel did, the line he drove, is something worth reacting to.

#295 williams96

williams96

• 986 posts

Posted 30 October 2011 - 07:57

It was not that 'obvious'. Narain has regularly been in the car including racing eight races this season and taking part in many FP1 sessions.

Narain has done well, but has a lot of experience with HRT (a new track will make for an interesting comparison today).

Edited by williams96, 30 October 2011 - 07:58.

#296 anti

anti

• 513 posts

Posted 30 October 2011 - 08:01

Stewards are clearly biased towards McLaren, Ferrari and Red Bull:

Monza 2004

Hockenheim 2006

Buddh 2011

Poor Mercedes, Renault, Force India, Sauber, Toro Rosso, Williams, Lotus, HRT, Virgin :|.

Until 2011 season curb was part of the track. But in regulation 2011 season curb was not part the track!

#297 johnmhinds

johnmhinds

• 7,292 posts

Posted 30 October 2011 - 08:06

Well Vettel got away with it in Australia this year, so the rule doesn't really mean anything.

Posted Image

#298 anti

anti

• 513 posts

Posted 30 October 2011 - 08:12

Well Vettel got away with it in Australia this year, so the rule doesn't really mean anything.

But Hamilton annulled qualifying lap time at Monaco for cutting track. May be the rule doesn't really mean anything for Vettel? :cool:

#299 ArtShelley

ArtShelley

• 3,560 posts

Posted 30 October 2011 - 08:51

This thread proves that fanboys are the same, regardless of driver. Look at all the Seb ones getting defensive. Fact is, he left the track and there is a rule that drivers must remain on track. Now it's one thing if the driver left the track going completely off and it was not part of his pole lap, but in Seb's case it was his pole lap. Even if that one was annulled, he cut the chicane on the first run as well so that too shouldn't count.

Advertisement

#300 Mastah

Mastah

• 3,679 posts

Posted 30 October 2011 - 09:04

Mastah, it seems you don't understand the concept of "cutting a corner", ie making the track shorter. You've compared yesterday with cars running slightly wide on exit.
But again, I stress I don't think what Vettel did, the line he drove, is something worth reacting to.

I absolutely understand it, but for me it doesn't look like Seb cut the corner, because while on paper it's indeed corner, in reality it's more like a run-off from T11, so in my opinion examples I brought earlier are relevant to what happened yesterday.

At Catalunya drivers cut T8 without any consequences over the years

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

so if they weren't penalized for that, I don't see how Seb deserves any kind of penalty. Teams saw his pole lap and I haven't heard any complaints from them, so maybe there's no case to investigate?

Until 2011 season curb was part of the track. But in regulation 2011 season curb was not part the track!

Indeed, but why then Felipe received warnings from race director in Monaco 2009, while he had 2 wheels on kerb and was advised to stay within white lines with at least 2 wheels?