Photo

Alonso: Renault had the best car in 2005 and 2006

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 holiday

holiday

• 3,473 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 08:52

There has been a lot of talk on this BB concerning the relative strength of the Renault and Ferrari cars in the 2006 season. Luckily, we now have the testimony of Alonso himself:

Hablando del pasado, ¿tenía el mejor coche en sus dos títulos con Renault?
Sí, sí. Quien gana constructores, normalmente tiene el mejor coche, para ganar constructores necesitas el mejor coche.

Talking about the past, did you have the best car while winning your two titles with Renault?
Yes, yes. Who wins the constructor championship normally has the best car, for winning it you need the best car.

SOURCE: Interview with Fernando Alonso at as.com on 11/11/2011

Quite clear statement.

Advertisement

#2 Jovanotti

Jovanotti

• 8,255 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 08:55

There has been a lot of talk on this BB concerning the relative strength of the Renault and Ferrari cars in the 2006 season. Luckily, we now have the testimony of Alonso himself:

Quite clear statement.

That will hopefully shut up some Kimi-antis about 2005...but it must be said, whitout Alonso they'd ve never won it, he did a great job these seasons :up:

Edited by Jovanotti, 15 November 2011 - 08:56.

#3 Baddoer

Baddoer

• 3,516 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 08:56

Thank you captain! Best is not fastest, you know. McLaren was fast but unreliable and Ferrari had Bridgestone tires.

#4 gillesthegenius

gillesthegenius

• 2,534 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 09:01

So Vettel is not the only double world champion on the current grid who won his titles in the best car.

#5 Disgrace

Disgrace

• 31,250 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 09:05

2005 was obvious in that Renault had massively superior reliability and was actually quicker than the McLaren until Imola, by which point Alonso had racked up three wins.

2006 is much more equal and only came down to Schumacher's errors in the end, for Ferrari actually had equal reliability as Renault did and dominated the final nine races just as Renault had dominated the first nine races.

Just because Michael had an engine failure later in the season, doesn't make it count more than Alonso's one at Monza. Schumachers Australia and Hungary crashes ultimately lost him the title for Alonso crashed out of zero races through his own fault.

Edited by Disgrace, 15 November 2011 - 09:08.

#6 cheapracer

cheapracer

• 10,388 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 09:09

LOL at this thread already and the "experts" who will come in knowing more than Alonso himself on the matter. :lol:

#7 Fortymark

Fortymark

• 5,929 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 09:10

I think Holidays intention was to make Schumacher look better than Alonso in 2006
instead of talking about the Kimi-FA battle in 005...
But winning the WDC helps the WCC.. Alonso won with 134 points vs 121
But Renault as a team only had a 5 points more than Ferrari. To me thats´an
clear indicator that Ferrari was the better car but Alonso was the better driver

#8 cheapracer

cheapracer

• 10,388 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 09:12

2005 was

2006 is

So your stance is the Renault was of course better because Kimi was beaten but not better when MS was beaten ... :rotfl:

This thread is going to be awesome - first page will not end before 2007 is mentioned :rotfl:

#9 FTATRWeSaluteYou

FTATRWeSaluteYou

• 473 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 09:13

At least Alonso can admit the quality of his cars and makes no excuses

Hamilton this year:

Can you compete with the red bull? No.... We havent got the performance

No our car cannot fight here....

Always denying that he has a car that is clearly capable of winning.

#10 Disgrace

Disgrace

• 31,250 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 09:13

So your stance is the Renault was of course better because Kimi was beaten but not better when MS was beaten ... :rotfl:

This thread is going to be awesome - first page will not end before 2007 is mentioned :rotfl:

No idea what you're saying, although your liberal use of quotations and emoticons suggest you have no intention to debate or provide any sort of valid opinion and bring the thread downhill. Enjoy.

#11 kosmos

kosmos

• 11,875 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 09:25

His logic seems to my like: Winning WCC = Best car, but only because they won the WCC not because the car was the best in all the races, it's pretty clear that in 2006 Ferrari was stronger in some races.

#12 gillesthegenius

gillesthegenius

• 2,534 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 09:33

His logic seems to my like: Winning WCC = Best car, but only because they won the WCC not because the car was the best in all the races, it's pretty clear that in 2006 Ferrari was stronger in some races.

Why do people keep assuming that
Best car of season = Best car in every race

It baffles me, to be honest.

#13 holiday

holiday

• 3,473 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 09:45

At least Alonso can admit the quality of his cars and makes no excuses

Contrary to the average forum user who has to put down the quality of the car in order to hype the performance of his favourite driver (the truly eternal BB game), f1 pilots consider having the best car not as a belittlement of their worth as a driver but as a complement to it and a fruit of their hard work. Therefore, Alonso has no problems whatsoever ‘admitting’ having driven the best car to his championships, only his fanboys have.

#14 nbhb

nbhb

• 903 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 10:02

Thank you captain! Best is not fastest, you know. McLaren was fast but unreliable and Ferrari had Bridgestone tires.

Montoya had a fast and reliable car. He had the best car.

#15 as65p

as65p

• 26,207 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 10:05

I think Holidays intention was to make Schumacher look better than Alonso in 2006

Nah, I think his intention was to show what a modest and honest guy Alonso is. :up:

:smoking:

#16 BRK

BRK

• 5,197 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 10:12

LMAO. I've lost count of how many fanboys I've argued with on this BB on this issue, every other keyboard warrior wanting to 'prove' the Renault + Michelin wasn't the better package in 2005-2006. Credit to the man himself for being honest about it, too bad his fans aren't mature enough to take a leaf out of his book.

#17 Fontainebleau

Fontainebleau
  • RC Forum Host

• 2,270 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 10:12

Contrary to the average forum user who has to put down the quality of the car in order to hype the performance of his favourite driver (the truly eternal BB game), f1 pilots consider having the best car not as a belittlement of their worth as a driver but as a complement to it and a fruit of their hard work. Therefore, Alonso has no problems whatsoever ‘admitting’ having driven the best car to his championships, only his fanboys have.

Exactly the same as the fanboys of other drivers, don't you think? It is a bit tiring to read these comments directed to Alonso supporters, as if everybody else was whiter than white. (Sorry for picking your post for my reply, Holiday, you are not the only one making that comment and this one is not specifically directed at you).

And by the way, it would be great if people gave Alonso's words (or those of other F1 people) the same credit when he says things they don't actually like to hear ;)

Edited by Fontainebleau, 15 November 2011 - 10:13.

#18 V8 Fireworks

V8 Fireworks

• 10,824 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 12:02

Quite clear statement.

It was hardly dominant?

Alonso champ would suggest the Reno slightly better to the mac or the ferrari. but those cars were hardly terrible.

#19 V8 Fireworks

V8 Fireworks

• 10,824 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 12:02

Quite clear statement.

It was hardly dominant?

Alonso champ would suggest the Reno slightly better to the mac or the ferrari. but those cars were hardly terrible.

Advertisement

#20 ForzaGTR

ForzaGTR

• 3,920 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 12:12

Ouch!!!!

Bad day for Alonso fan boys

#21 PretentiousBread

PretentiousBread

• 2,906 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 12:13

2005 was obvious in that Renault had massively superior reliability and was actually quicker than the McLaren until Imola, by which point Alonso had racked up three wins.

2006 is much more equal and only came down to Schumacher's errors in the end, for Ferrari actually had equal reliability as Renault did and dominated the final nine races just as Renault had dominated the first nine races.

Just because Michael had an engine failure later in the season, doesn't make it count more than Alonso's one at Monza. Schumachers Australia and Hungary crashes ultimately lost him the title for Alonso crashed out of zero races through his own fault.

Hey, you stole my post!

:up:

#22 RockyRaccoon68

RockyRaccoon68

• 1,606 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 12:40

The fact that Massa was often able to beat Alonso in the second half of the season says enough about the quality of the cars in 2006.

#23 ForzaGTR

ForzaGTR

• 3,920 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 12:43

The fact that Massa was often able to beat Alonso in the second half of the season says enough about the quality of the cars in 2006.

Most accept Massa was a far better driver pre Hungary 2009.

I'm not down playing Alonso's performance this year though, I would always put money on Alonso beating Massa in equal machinery.

#24 arknor

arknor

• 2,298 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 12:53

does anyone even believe massa is anything but a shadow of his former self?

#25 RockyRaccoon68

RockyRaccoon68

• 1,606 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 12:53

My personal opinion is that he has always been an average driver flattered by great cars and an underperforming team mate in 07/08 although I do accept that not everyone holds that view.

#26 fabr68

fabr68

• 3,963 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 12:57

Note that Alonso said "best car", not "fastest car". There is a world of difference.

#27 discover23

discover23

• 9,302 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 13:30

Montoya had a fast and reliable car. He had the best car.

Are you sure? Its been a long time but I remember Montoya had a hydraulics failure from the lead in Hungary and another car failure in France.

#28 discover23

discover23

• 9,302 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 13:32

I'm not down playing Alonso's performance this year though, I would always put money on Alonso beating Massa in equal machinery.

Massa a better driver than Alonso in 2006.. Please, give me a break. It is obvious that Ferrari had the best car in the 2nd half.

#29 discover23

discover23

• 9,302 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 13:37

does anyone even believe massa is anything but a shadow of his former self?

Nope. 2006-2008 , he had the best car or equal best car... Since then he's been driving 2/3/4th best cars..
When you have more drivers now in top cars it is understandable why his results are poor in comparison to his results back in 06-08.

#30 Jovanotti

Jovanotti

• 8,255 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 13:46

Massa a better driver than Alonso in 2006.. Please, give me a break. It is obvious that Ferrari had the best car in the 2nd half.

Do you even read the posts you're replying to? Some people... :down:

Edited by Jovanotti, 15 November 2011 - 13:47.

#31 sopa

sopa

• 12,230 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 14:22

About 2006 people forget that even though Ferrari was faster in the second half of 2006, Michelin was way better in wet conditions, which made Renault superior in several races.

#32 discover23

discover23

• 9,302 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 14:30

Do you even read the posts you're replying to? Some people... :down:

I do .. And did you read the post that the poster I replied to, replied to?..

#33 fieraku

fieraku

• 5,304 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 14:39

Alonso is on a roll lately :up:.He's sure earning more fans with his "no nonsense" comments,he's a great driver regardless,he's got nothing to prove!

#34 Jovanotti

Jovanotti

• 8,255 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 14:47

I do .. And did you read the post that the poster I replied to, replied to?..

Yes I do. As far as I see the posts you replied to were the following:

RockyRaccoon68: "The fact that Massa was often able to beat Alonso in the second half of the season says enough about the quality of the cars in 2006."

Olly F1: "Most accept Massa was a far better driver pre Hungary 2009. I'm not down playing Alonso's performance this year though, I would always put money on Alonso beating Massa in equal machinery."

discover23: "Massa a better driver than Alonso in 2006.. Please, give me a break. It is obvious that Ferrari had the best car in the 2nd half."

Correct me if I'm wrong. But why are you suggesting that somebody was claiming that Massa was the better driver than Alonso in 2006?

Edit: Ok, I realise I was being a bit fussy :), but still..somehow it was annoying me..

Edited by Jovanotti, 15 November 2011 - 14:53.

#35 KavB

KavB

• 1,592 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 14:53

People do seem to confuse fastest with the word best. The R25 wasn't as quick as the McLaren but it was able to finish races which matters more than how fast you can go. It doesn't matter if you're 10 minutes in the lead if your car will explode before the finish. The R26 and the Ferrari were pretty equal overall.

#36 grunge

grunge

• 5,393 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 14:56

Alonso seems to have matured greatly over the years..lol i still remember the 05 season when he complained on more than one occasion about luck favoring Raikkonen more.

ive started to like him more and more since his arrival at ferrari

Edited by grunge, 15 November 2011 - 15:00.

#37 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 21,814 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 14:59

No idea what you're saying, although your liberal use of quotations and emoticons suggest you have no intention to debate or provide any sort of valid opinion and bring the thread downhill. Enjoy.

Pretty much.

Dont get what the big fuss about this comment is anyways. For one, he's saying something that might sound a hell of a like common sense or stating the obvious. Two, it isn't Alonso's style to brag about himself by making it sound like the machinery he's using is worse than it is. Three, its still just his opinion and drivers are not 'always right'.

Absolutely no conclusions can be made from this, sorry guys.

Edited by Seanspeed, 15 November 2011 - 15:00.

#38 mursuka80

mursuka80

• 5,106 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 15:34

Alonso seems to have matured greatly over the years..lol i still remember the 05 season when he complained on more than one occasion about luck favoring Raikkonen more.

ive started to like him more and more since his arrival at ferrari

Me too. He surely is matured in his Ferrari years and is one of my favorites on track now. :up:

#39 Crossmax

Crossmax

• 1,334 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 20:05

Why do people keep assuming that
Best car of season = Best car in every race

It baffles me, to be honest.

:up: This seems to be really hard to get for many people.

Advertisement

#40 Sazh

Sazh

• 66 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 20:22

LMAO. I've lost count of how many fanboys I've argued with on this BB on this issue, every other keyboard warrior wanting to 'prove' the Renault + Michelin wasn't the better package in 2005-2006. Credit to the man himself for being honest about it, too bad his fans aren't mature enough to take a leaf out of his book.

"His fans" or "some of his fans"? :kiss:

#41 201

• 11 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 00:52

His logic is simple,

WCC = best car
WDC = best driver

#42 knowledge

knowledge

• 36 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 05:43

Somehow I doubt you would be taking Alonso's word for it, if his opinion did not match yours. Sadly it seems no one brought up the point that it is impossible for Alonso to know who had the best car those years because he never drove the other cars, so his words are merely his opinion, and him just being humble, like when he says he might not be the fastest. Funny how some people so gladly latch onto his words only when it suits their agenda.