Photo

Sheridan Thynne RIP

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 David Force

David Force

• 287 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 00:03

Very sad to report that Sheridan Thynne passed away today.
Best known for his time at Williams where he was responsible for Finance and Sponsorship. He started racing saloon cars in the late 50's and as an Old Etonian became a close friend of Piers Courage and was a member of the group which also included Charles Lucas and Frank Williams.
A man of great intellect and a formidable opponent in any debate Sheri more recently supported his son Piers in his hillclimbing exploits.
He will be sadly missed by many people.

Advertisement

#2 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 11,534 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 00:16

Very sad to report that Sheridan Thynne passed away today.
Best known for his time at Williams where he was responsible for Finance and Sponsorship. He started racing saloon cars in the late 50's and as an Old Etonian became a close friend of Piers Courage and was a member of the group which also included Charles Lucas and Frank Williams.
A man of great intellect and a formidable opponent in any debate Sheri more recently supported his son Piers in his hillclimbing exploits.
He will be sadly missed by many people.

Of whom I am one. Very, very sad indeed to hear this news. Sincerest condolences to Sheridan's family and many friends. We last spoke only ten days or so ago...and he was as astute, formidably bright, thought-provoking - and funny - as ever. A fine man.

DCN

#3 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,611 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 00:35

Very sad news and I too pass on my condolences to his family and friends.

I last met with Sheridan at SW about six years ago. We hadn't kept in any form of regular contact, but I was humbled by the fact that he nevertheless remembered me from our regular dealings in the early eighties when he was at Willies and I was on 'Autosport'.

A lovely man and an 'old school' racer through & through.

He'll be greatly missed...

#4 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 07:19

Very sorry to hear this

He was closely associated with the HGPCA for some years

My condolences to his family and friends

#5 RTH

RTH

• 6,066 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 07:33

Oh no, what awful news. He came to our first film show gathering with David and to the first of Michael Oliver's events at Eynsham hall in Oxford. A most charming man, I had hoped we might persude him to be a guest speaker and tell us about, amongst other things , his time at Williams.
Our thoughts with his family .Sad news indeed.

#6 Stephen W

Stephen W

• 15,584 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 13:46

Terrible news - the hillclimb scene will be poorer for his passing.

:cry:

#7 johnfitzpatrick

johnfitzpatrick

• 81 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 23:19

Very sad news indeed. Sheridan and I first met racing our Minis at Brands Hatch in the 60's. A good guy and a real gentleman.
A privilege to have known him and to call him a friend for 50 years. My thoughts are with his family. He will be sadly missed.