zakeriath

• 707 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 12:13

Two old drivers, Jacky Ickx & Jochen Mass

Posted Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Popular with older men in flat hats

Names added as requested

Edited by zakeriath, 18 September 2012 - 12:56.

Advertisement

#352 D-Type

D-Type

• 9,704 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 12:46

Two old drivers

Posted Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Popular with older men in flat hats

Please can we have more informative captions!

Not all of us are as familiar with your subjects as you are.

#353 David Beard

David Beard

• 4,997 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 12:53

Please can we have more informative captions!

Not all of us are as familiar with your subjects as you are.

Surely you know who those two are Duncan?

#354 D-Type

D-Type

• 9,704 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 12:57

Actually I don't, as I am hopeless with faces. I didn't even recognise Tony Brooks at Chaters stall until someone asked him to autograph a book!

Edited by D-Type, 18 September 2012 - 12:58.

#355 Allan Lupton

Allan Lupton

• 4,052 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 12:58

He and I may well "know" these men but would only recognise them as they were, not as they are.
Please tell us

#356 kayemod

kayemod

• 9,588 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 13:00

As any fule kno, they're Jackie Mass and Jochen Ickx.

#357 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 7,316 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 13:00

I was somewhat taken aback to bump into this young man enjoying the action at Goodwood on Sunday.....

Posted Image
By giraffe138 at 2012-09-18

Corporal Johnson Beharry VC :up:

#358 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 11,549 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 13:05

He arrived in a Roller but I didn't know who he was.

#359 nicanary

nicanary

• 691 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 13:07

I was somewhat taken aback to bump into this young man enjoying the action at Goodwood on Sunday.....

Posted Image

Corporal Johnson Beharry VC :up:

In modern parlance - "Top Man". I don't know whether the uniform has been modernised since 1966, but it would have been extremely churlish to have asked him to change.
Nice one.

Advertisement

#360 Allan Lupton

Allan Lupton

• 4,052 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 13:12

As any fule kno, they're Jackie Mass and Jochen Ickx.

You mean these two:
Posted Image
Posted Image

#361 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 7,316 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 13:32

In modern parlance - "Top Man". I don't know whether the uniform has been modernised since 1966, but it would have been extremely churlish to have asked him to change.
Nice one.

I thought that there was a certain irony in amongst all the fake uniforms and medals to find a uniformed young soldier sporting the only Victoria Cross that I can ever recall seeing being worn in the flesh by it's recipient, so as to speak. :smoking:

Edited by Giraffe, 18 September 2012 - 14:19.

#362 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 7,316 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 13:38

"Hey Christian, can I interest you in a Dunlop Bridge?!?!"

Posted Image

#363 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 11,534 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 14:06

Just as an aside, I have been sitting here trying to find my desk by sorting out the stacks of books, papers, magazines,prints and packets of transparencies under which it has vanished in recent weeks. A 1949 Goodwood Easter Monday programme has just surfaced, somewhat mouse-nibbled but it includes this fascinating gem from bygone racing days:

"WHY THE BALLOT FOR STARTING POSITIONS?

'Some writers on motor sport have sought a reason for ballot starts in the Goodwood scratch races. They hve suggested that starting positions should be based on practice times, with the fastest cars in front.

"But that would not do for the following reasons:

"In sprint events - such as these races really are - the competitors set about them on a 'win or bust' basis; there is no room for manoeuvring and carefully thought-out tactics, such as would apply in a long-distance event. Right from the word 'go' it is a question of the foot hard down, with the knowledge that, if you let up, you are soon out of the picture.

"By using a ballot start a certain element of luck is allowed to intrude. For example, if the fastest cars are, by chance, drawn on the back rows of the starting 'grid', their drivers are called upon to exercise the maximum amount of skill in threading their way through the field. If, in short races, positions on the starting line were allocated according to fastest practice times, with the very fastest cars on the front row, the rest of the field might just as well go home for all the chance they would stand. The element of luck-in-the-draw adds spice to these short-distance scratch races, where it is a definite advantage to be drawing in the front row."

Pretty much all of which convinces me that if you have an organising or governing committee dominated by a powerful - yet deluded - individual, this kind of twaddle can prevail...

Thanks for the nice things said about the Revival, and for the criticisms - all of which are always explored and considered.

DCN

Edited by Doug Nye, 18 September 2012 - 14:07.

#364 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,863 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 14:19

That reads very much like Percy Bradley to me, Doug. Both in writing style and lack of logic! Was he still involved with the BARC then?

#365 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 11,534 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 14:53

That reads very much like Percy Bradley to me, Doug. Both in writing style and lack of logic! Was he still involved with the BARC then?

Probably correct on all counts I would think.

Some happy snaps...

Posted Image

The d'Ieteren Collection's 'A-Type Auto Union V16' driven by Nicholas d'Ieteren

Posted Image

Racing mechanics admiring coachwork, as always... Oh, the car is the Collier Collection's 1939 Mercedes-Benz W154/39

Posted Image

U-boats in their pens... The Auto Unions were driven by Jacky Ickx, Frank Biela, Harald Demuth, Nick Mason and Nicholas d'Ieteren

Posted Image

The Collier W154 is to the ultimate 1939 W154 spec with the ultimate engine, all as driven by Manfred von Brauchistch in its only race, the Belgrade GP, September 3, 1939. All the body panels are the originals as far back as the rear of the cockpit. The original tail was replaced after being damaged by Joska Roman's crash and fire in Rumania postwar.

Posted Image

Sterling silver...Stuttgart style - the Mercedes cars were driven by Jochen Mass, Bernd Schneider, Karl Wendlinger and (very well indeed) by Rob Hall

Posted Image

Chauffeur Tony Brooks remarking "I suppose there's no point in expecting a tip, then?" - as Dan dismounts, with two great fans in attendance - Charles March and Evi Gurney

Posted Image

The Royals on the grid during the Dan Gurney (background) tribute - plus the 1967 Le Mans-winning GT Mark IV 'Mona Lisa'

Posted Image

Glorious Goodwood for Historic Team Lotus - Ketteringham's first 1-2 F1 success since 1978?

Posted Image

Genuine enthusiasm - Miles Collier watching intently while Simon Taylor commentates on the St Mary's Trophy heat one...

All Photos Strictly Copyright: The GP Library

Edited by Doug Nye, 18 September 2012 - 14:57.

#366 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 6,096 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 14:58

I thought that there was a certain irony in amongst all the fake uniforms and medals to find a uniformed young soldier sporting the only Victoria Cross that I can ever recall seeing being worn in the flesh by it's recipient, so as to speak.

Whereas this sort of stuff is beyond parody, although the first one is in the aeroplane display so might come as part of the furniture.
Posted Image

Posted Image
Photos copyright Roger Lund, all rights reserved.
Roger Lund

#367 nicanary

nicanary

• 691 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 15:28

Whereas this sort of stuff is beyond parody, although the first one is in the aeroplane display so might come as part of the furniture.
Posted Image

Posted Image
Photos copyright Roger Lund, all rights reserved.
Roger Lund

The Red Army were famous (or is that infamous?) for handing out gongs for anything to anyone, which is why most of their veterans walk leaning over to one side.

Young Mr. Beharry , on the other hand, ......nothing more needs to be said. A credit to himself, his family, the British Army, and Grenada.

#368 Macca

Macca

• 3,728 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 15:36

Many thanks for those, Doug, and for all your and the Revival team's hard work - I thought it was F.A.B.:
Posted Image

Posted Image
You wait years for one, and then eleven come together....

Posted Image
TNFer Karl Ludwigsen talks to David Cross, author of 'Inside the Paddock'

Posted Image
charge of the heavy brigade - start of the Sussex Trophy

Posted Image
Joe Colasacco tries an unusual outside line to lap a SWB in the TT.

As one who likes his classic aircraft as well as cars, thanks also to Chris Drewett for the insightful commentaries and also for his sensitivity towards Peter Eager who I understand is extremely unwell - the airshow world owes Peter a huge debt of thanks.

Paul M

Edited by Macca, 18 September 2012 - 15:38.

#369 David Lawson

David Lawson

• 968 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 15:59

As most subjects have already been covered, just a couple of my snaps from Sunday.

Posted Image
The opening lap of the Glover Trophy and to see the two 25s and the Lola rushing towards us in close company was wonderful.

Posted Image
The Brooklands Trophy was a great curtain raiser for Sundays racing and this Mercedes sounded glorious blasting down Lavant Straight.

Posted Image
The motor scrambling was fun as well.

David

#370 Odseybod

Odseybod

• 1,804 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 15:59

Many thanks to everyone for the pics, especially DCN for his behind-the-scenes views of the Silver Arrows. One tiny quibble - didn't the Mercedes drivers also include a certain J.Y. Stewart? The one I'm thinking of found himself travelling unexpectedly sideways after exiting the chicane in the Tripoli car during the Sunday 'race' (oil on a rear tyre, maybe?).

My films should be back next week, by the way (OK, must confess I was shooting digi too, alongside the M2, but that doesn't really count, does it).

#371 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 17:19

"WHY THE BALLOT FOR STARTING POSITIONS
"By using a ballot start a certain element of luck is allowed to intrude. For example, if the fastest cars are, by chance, drawn on the back rows of the starting 'grid', their drivers are called upon to exercise the maximum amount of skill in threading their way through the field. If, in short races, positions on the starting line were allocated according to fastest practice times, with the very fastest cars on the front row, the rest of the field might just as well go home for all the chance they would stand. The element of luck-in-the-draw adds spice to these short-distance scratch races, where it is a definite advantage to be drawing in the front row."

The same philosophy that led to (most) pre-war British races being handicaps, ie, to be "fair" to everyone

How can it be fair for an Austin 7 to win a major race ahead of ERAs, 8CM Maseratis, T59 Bugattis and P3 Alfa Romeos?

No wonder so few Brits imported pukka GP cars before the War - might as well run an Austin 7...

#372 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 11,534 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 17:28

Many thanks to everyone for the pics, especially DCN for his behind-the-scenes views of the Silver Arrows. One tiny quibble - didn't the Mercedes drivers also include a certain J.Y. Stewart? The one I'm thinking of found himself travelling unexpectedly sideways after exiting the chicane in the Tripoli car during the Sunday 'race' (oil on a rear tyres?

Yes - him too - oh my, forgetfulness reigns...

And thank you Paul - I will pass that on to Lloyd McNeil, Jarrah Venables, Will Kinsman and the rest of the core Goodwood Motorsport team. They put their heart, soul and lives into these events and all credit is due to them and their colleagues.

DCN

Edited by Doug Nye, 19 September 2012 - 06:33.

#373 Allan Lupton

Allan Lupton

• 4,052 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 17:34

The same philosophy that led to (most) pre-war British races being handicaps, ie, to be "fair" to everyone

How can it be fair for an Austin 7 to win a major race ahead of ERAs, 8CM Maseratis, T59 Bugattis and P3 Alfa Romeos?

No wonder so few Brits imported pukka GP cars before the War - might as well run an Austin 7...

The reason for handicap races (which were a part of the first of these "Revival" meetings) is to get a reasonable field of competitors. If you have enough entries from those with cars that could win a normal scratch race that's fine but if not you have to solve the "why would someone enter a car that had no chance" problem.
Not just pre-war since, as has been said, in period Goodwood hosted races from Formula 1 to allcomers' handicaps at the same meeting.

#374 Mistron

Mistron

• 936 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 18:36

Thanks for the nice things said about the Revival, and for the criticisms - all of which are always explored and considered.

DCN

Whilst I am a great fan of the event, and the introduction of the campsite was convenient - previously we always camped at the lakes round the bypass, It really is very poor for the price (£200).

This year, with no prior mention of it when booking, we found ourself on the new overspill campsite over the road (on the golf driving range).

What were laughingly called the facilities consisted of a portacabin of toilets for gents which didn't seem to be flushing for most of the weekend (a plumber who hapened to be on site said it was to do with 'levels' and a lack of pressure, and 4 grubby showers with a similar lack of water.

The showers in the main campsite over the road were reasonable, but as in previous years insufficient for the morning crowds.

At the price charged, such things niggle to say the least. whether the convenience of location outweighs the high cost and low quality is something I'll have to seriously consider next year, and many of those I spoke to (in the long long shower queue) shared this view.

Don't supose such trivial concerns will be high on the revival teams priority list, but it would make a real difference to the weekend for those who stay on site.

Otherwise, a great weekend, as always

Edited by Mistron, 18 September 2012 - 18:37.

#375 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 18:41

Nice one.

It makes a nice change from all the poseurs playing soldier.

#376 kayemod

kayemod

• 9,588 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 19:17

It makes a nice change from all the poseurs playing soldier.

Yes, and he was quite possibly the only be-medalled uniform wearer at Goodwood who had actually been shot at.

#377 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 11,534 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 19:35

Yes, and he was quite possibly the only be-medalled uniform wearer at Goodwood who had actually been shot at.

No - he was definitely NOT the only one. But it is true that this outstanding young man was at the head of an honoured minority.

DCN

#378 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 7,316 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 19:46

DCN

In this outstanding year for British sport across the board, the Revival achieved the Gold Standard too, so well done Doug, and hearty congratulations to all!!! :clap:

#379 Macca

Macca

• 3,728 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 19:50

But why is the '67 Le Mans-winning Ford MkIV called 'Mona Lisa' - is it because it's "a cold and lonely lovely work of art"?

Has it ever been this side of the pond since 1967?

Paul M

Advertisement

#380 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 11,549 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 20:25

It was at the Festival.

Edited by Barry Boor, 18 September 2012 - 20:26.

#381 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 20:56

Not just pre-war since, as has been said, in period Goodwood hosted races from Formula 1 to allcomers' handicaps at the same meeting.

I should have made clear I was referring to the biggest British races pre-war.
Handicap races have always had a place in club events
And reference to the Goodwood Easter (etc) handicaps does raise the question, would the F1 guys have entered the meeting if there had been no scratch race for them?

#382 Richard Jenkins

Richard Jenkins

• 7,215 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 20:59

Sterling silver...Stuttgart style - the Mercedes cars were driven by Jochen Mass, Bernd Schneider, Karl Wendlinger and (very well indeed) by Rob Hall

Oh bum.

I saw a chap that I thought looked like Karl, but having not seen any note or news report that he was in attendance, I dismissed it from my mind and just thought he was someone else and didn't pursue it. If I'd known it was KW, I would've definitely made an effort to meet him. Someone I've always held in high regard.

It could just be me, but only going on the Saturday, I hardly saw any TNF'rs (I think I saw the legendary Mr Beard out of the back of my eye at one stage) and didn't see as many of the drivers I was expecting to see there.

Not that I am complaining as I met Sir JYS, Jochen Mass, Jean Alesi and Martin Donnelly, Frank Biela, Tiff Needell, Danny Sullivan, plus Ewan McGregor, which is not a bad roll-call in anybody's eyes but I was a little disappointed I didn't see the main reason for me attending, Dan Gurney. Was he there on Saturday?

The Revival is not my favourite event personally, only because for the things I need out of a historic festival, which is probably vastly different to the other 99% of attendees, and each time I've gone it's been a slightly frustrating experience, but the event itself is quite wonderful. If I didn't have or need such a focus on drivers, and just wanted to lap up the event's superb attention to detail, the excellent racing, the variety provided for both newbie and enthusiastic (very, very difficult indeed) really does make it a special event.

That said, I do think it's overpriced slightly, but it's comparable to other events, so I can't complain too much on that score.

#383 peebo

peebo

• 70 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 21:00

Thanks to everyone for posting the pics - fantastic as usual.

I've been to every Revival Meeting since the first, and wouldn't miss it for anything.

We were in the March enclosure early on Friday morning, His Lordship arrived with his trusty henchman - one swift flick of his eyes, a single lightbulb over a picture is out! It was fixed within the hour.

I cannot fault the man's attention to detail. He cares that its right, if hes bothered about a single lightbulb, I would imagine he's equally careful about everything else.

I'll be back next year - and if I can ever work it out, I may even get round to posting some pics myself.

#384 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 11,549 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 21:12

Not Mr Beard on Saturday, Richard. He was only there on Friday.

#385 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 11,534 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 21:14

I heard on Goodwood radio an interview with Doug Nye he got hit in the eye playing cricket the other day do we have a photo .

Posted Image

Yr cricketing correspondent with his occasional chauffeur...the eye had been a darned sight more spectacular 48 hours earlier...

I was approached by one chap who said "Errr, did you get that in the cricket then?".

"Yes, I did"

"Yeah - I saw it happen..."

"Oh really?"

"Yeah..." - long pause...before he continued...

"Where'd it get yer then?" ):

Photo Strictly Copyright: Peter Darley

PS- some more happy snaps...

Posted Image

The Friday evening Goodwood 9Hrs-type race saw some exquisite light...

Posted Image

Notionally worth how much...?

Posted Image

Scott George (right) Curator of the Collier Collection helps wheel out the Belgian GP-winning 'mag-ti' Eagle-Weslake for Dan's tribute.

Posted Image

Dan with veteran Porsche factory racing mechanic Klaus Bischoff and the 1962 Porsche 804...TNF's Luc Ghys with camera (far left)

Posted Image

Audi's Auto Union line-up before 'the 1939 Bremgarten pits'...

Posted Image

Near period feel to this shot of the 1939 V12 Auto Union...Eberan von Eberhorst's futuristic masterpiece

Posted Image

C&G's two Ians prime the Collier W154's supercharger with two syringe-loads of acetone-laced fuel...

Posted Image

Manfred Oechsle of Mercedes-Benz Classic in the cockpit of their 1939 Tripoli W165 as its engine is the first to be fired-up...

Posted Image

The Mercedes fleet is warmed up - no rock concert could match the stupendous noise - an exercise a late little bearded friend would have absolutely adored - I'm sure that up there on his cloud he was sharing the moment...

Posted Image

With the W165's 1.5-litre supercharged V8 warmed through, Manfred swops cold plugs for hot...

Posted Image

It was nice to see Bruce McCaw's 1960 BRM P48 given a rare outing...

Posted Image

...together with its famous 'cheese-cutter' rear disc brake, which worked well on the front-engined Type 25s, but was a source of disaster here on the rear-engined P48.

Posted Image

The shapely McLeagle was an eye-popper under acceleration away from the chicane...a docile beauty under manual propulsion in the paddock.

Posted Image

One of my all-time favourite Lotuses - the Gurney Type 29-Ford from Indy, 1963, now preserved within the fabulous Barber Museum. What a great idea Dan had...

Above 14 Photos Strictly Copyright: The GP Library

DCN

Edited by Doug Nye, 18 September 2012 - 23:21.

#386 Richard Jenkins

Richard Jenkins

• 7,215 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 21:54

Not Mr Beard on Saturday, Richard. He was only there on Friday.

Mr Beard's evil twin, then.

I did see someone who looked like - but clearly wasn't you as well, Barry. I wasn't aware of the TNF cloning facility prior to this, although thinking about it, it would make a lot of sense.

#387 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,241 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 22:38

Great pics, Doug, as usual...

And still that Eagle looks magnificent!

#388 Dennis Hockenbury

Dennis Hockenbury

• 669 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 22:43

To all, many sincere thanks for the pics of the Revival. I was sitting here in Houston looking at many during the event and on the GW website while listening to Simon (I believe) and Doug on the GW radio. Really good stuff.

I would have dearly have loved to have been there but alas, the Significant Other does not find it quite as Critically Important as myself to spend $4000+ to visit southern England each summer instead of Bali, Maui, etc. Perhaps I shall never understand the female gender.

To Doug, my recommendation or request to pass along is for the good organizers to perhaps consider webcasting the circuit video to those of us around the globe who must suffer from those other boring tropical destinations which precludes our annual attendance at the FOS and Revival. I suspect that many would gladly pay for the opportunity.

#389 Peter Morley

Peter Morley

• 2,263 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 22:50

To Doug, my recommendation or request to pass along is for the good organizers to perhaps consider webcasting the circuit video to those of us around the globe who must suffer from those other boring tropical destinations which precludes our annual attendance at the FOS and Revival. I suspect that many would gladly pay for the opportunity.

Your last sentence will be music to the ears of the organisers, I'm sure those words will attract their interest...

Hopefully any TV coverage won't be in 3D, I've yet to see the Festival of Greed coverage since I can't justify upgrading to a 3D tv on the off chance that it shows Tony Brooks in the Connaught.

#390 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 6,709 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 01:02

Seeing that guy in the German uniform made my blood freeze, at best bad taste, like all the other fancy dress military uniforms, and at worst extremely poor judgement IMHO.

Posted Image

On a lighter note the car park is always worth a visit some more MG's including this 1934 PA here ,

Posted Image

and continental curiosities including this 1950 'Foursome' Frazer Nash here.

#391 jj2728

jj2728

• 2,966 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 02:05

Thanks to everyone for sharing their photos and ancedotes. Wonderful wonderful wonderful.

#392 Mal9444

Mal9444

• 1,292 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 04:36

DCN

Here is an entirely selfish suggestion that just might find an echo elsewhere. Could the changes be rung on the order in which the races are held? I realise there is an attractive symmetry to year-on-year having the same pattern - but for simple logistical reasons I always have to miss the last two races on Sunday. And for the past two or three years these have included the Sussex Trophy which, as a DBR and D-Type worshipper (steady, Duncan), is the ONE race I REALLY want to watch.

I do see the practice on Friday - but it's not quite the same. And of course, having the Sussex Trophy earlier in the programme would make sense in terms of the historical chronology of both cars and circuit.

I run this up the flagpole to see who salutes because dropping it into the pond to watch the ripples spread would undoubtedly see it sink without trace.

And since I do not recall seeing one posted already, here is a picture of surely the most beautiful sports car ever designed. I regret I do not have one of it racing. See above.

Posted Image

#393 Mal9444

Mal9444

• 1,292 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 04:42

Seeing that guy in the German uniform made my blood freeze, at best bad taste, like all the other fancy dress military uniforms, and at worst extremely poor judgement IMHO.

:up: :up: :up:

Indeed, indeed. But I did think the young actor employed went a long way to redeeming the situation in which he found himself by, at least as we approached the entrance queue, shouting repeatedly:

'Haf your tickets ready for inspection now. Uddervise you vill be shot.... Haf your tickets ready for inspection now. Uddervise you vill be shot.... ' :)

#394 johnny yuma

johnny yuma

• 928 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 05:09

Well put Dougo! Keeping the whinging Pommies in check :lol:

As a Colonial commoner attending in 2011,I did find attempting in 2 days to get around to everything available impossible...but I still want to
return and make a further sortie! For my money our Phillip Island Historics ,held usually a week before the Australian G.P. ,is an easier to enjoy weekend
where you can drive your own car around to any of the spectator areas,and when you visit the pits you are allowed to get right in amongst ALL the cars
...ie there is no Class Distinction/Gentlemens Club bouncer between you and the top exotics.I understand this is arguably unavoidable,but if I had to choose
between the two for just one day out I would choose Phillip Island.

Edited by johnny yuma, 19 September 2012 - 05:13.

#395 cdrewett

cdrewett

• 361 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 06:22

Many thanks for those, Doug, and for all your and the Revival team's hard work - I thought it was F.A.B.:
As one who likes his classic aircraft as well as cars, thanks also to Chris Drewett for the insightful commentaries and also for his sensitivity towards Peter Eager who I understand is extremely unwell - the airshow world owes Peter a huge debt of thanks.

Paul M

Thank you Paul for that kind comment.
As you say the whole weekend was FAB, starting with the cricket match, where Doug got his shiner and Jackie Oliver was carried off with a bent knee. Luckily, Keith Bush who was playing and riding in the Barry Sheene race is an orthopaedic surgeon and soon put him right, as you could tell from Jackie's driving in the tiny BMW 700. The car park there was a motor show itself.
My commentary position for the aviation was on top of the pit roof in an area reserved for Rolls Royce guests, who kindly paused in their champagne drinking to let me reach the mike,although Marcus Pye, directly above, had no idea whether I was in position or not, so handovers were slightly fraught to begin with. I asked the BBMF guys for their pilots' names, and they told me Smithy,Godders,Parky etc. Yes, I said, but what are their real names and rank and they hadn't a clue! Peter Eager made a valiant effort to participate and we put him on a radio mike in the flying club garden. Communication was difficult, but as Paul said, the airshow world, and Goodwood owe him a big debt of thanks. A great pity the Canberra didn't show, held up by paperwork, but the Hunters were beautiful, in a very tight formation. A box four of Spitfires followed by two Hurricanes, Lancaster and two Spitfires, Razorback P47 and two P51s, wow. Has anyone got some aircraft pictures?
When not commentating, it was radio Goodwood, in the studio from 7am with Henry Hope-Frost, Bruce Jones, and Barry Nutley. Enormous fun, a lot of suppressed laughter but a great body of knowledge and anecdotes. Then prowling the drivers' club and assembly area interviewing the great and good. Everyone is so receptive and friendly. What a privilege to sit and chat for 5 minutes with Dan Gurney. What a delight to reminisce with Pina Brooks and Sue Salvadori.
And to see the Lotus 29 that brother Richard had for a few years; well that was lump in the throat time.
Chris

#396 Roger Clark

Roger Clark

• 7,506 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 07:00

I would like to thank again the BARC for running the racing side of things. The marshalls did a fine job.

I thought it a hugely enjoyable event with far too much to see, even in three days. For some reason, getting into and out of the car parks was much easier than usual and the traffic flow generally seemed better.

The Silver Arrows demonstration was beautifully done and thanks are due to Mercedes, Audi, the organisers and everybody concerned. The Dan Gurney tribute was excellent and the speech by The Man, in response to Lord March, was a model of modesty. I don't know whether next year's driver parade is already planned, but could I respectfully point out that it marks some significant anniversaries in the life of Jim Clark?

I didn't like the fake guards at the entrances and couldn't understand the Soviet theme in the souvenir section of the programme. I spotted three Union Flags flying upside down over the weekend - is there a connection between these things?

The racing was good too.

#397 Lola5000

Lola5000

• 1,666 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 07:23

Posted Image

On a lighter note the car park is always worth a visit some more MG's including this 1934 PA here ,

Posted Image

and continental curiosities including this 1950 'Foursome' Frazer Nash here.

Is the MG K3 the ex Otto Stone car from OZ?

#398 john aston

john aston

• 2,698 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 07:24

Probably correct on all counts I would think.

Some happy snaps...

Posted Image

The d'Ieteren Collection's 'A-Type Auto Union V16' driven by Nicholas d'Ieteren

Posted Image

Racing mechanics admiring coachwork, as always... Oh, the car is the Collier Collection's 1939 Mercedes-Benz W154/39

Posted Image

U-boats in their pens... The Auto Unions were driven by Jacky Ickx, Frank Biela, Harald Demuth, Nick Mason and Nicholas d'Ieteren

Posted Image

The Collier W154 is to the ultimate 1939 W154 spec with the ultimate engine, all as driven by Manfred von Brauchistch in its only race, the Belgrade GP, September 3, 1939. All the body panels are the originals as far back as the rear of the cockpit. The original tail was replaced after being damaged by Joska Roman's crash and fire in Rumania postwar.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Chauffeur Tony Brooks remarking "I suppose there's no point in expecting a tip, then?" - as Dan dismounts, with two great fans in attendance - Charles March and Evi Gurney

Posted Image

The Royals on the grid during the Dan Gurney (background) tribute - plus the 1967 Le Mans-winning GT Mark IV 'Mona Lisa'

Posted Image

Glorious Goodwood for Historic Team Lotus - Ketteringham's first 1-2 F1 success since 1978?

Posted Image

Genuine enthusiasm - Miles Collier watching intently while Simon Taylor commentates on the St Mary's Trophy heat one...

If I can make the most footlingly pedantic comment it's CLASSIC Team Lotus, not 'Historic'.I had the pleasure of visiting the Team last year and too see the 25 in its home territory was a very special moment.

#399 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 6,709 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 08:13

Is the MG K3 the ex Otto Stone car from OZ?

I've not had any opportunity to check that out Lola5000, the registration is 'JB 3181' if anyone has a record of such things ?

Advertisement

#400 Lola5000

Lola5000

• 1,666 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 08:17

I've not had any opportunity to check that out Lola5000, the registration is 'JB 3181' if anyone has a record of such things ?

I think it is.
1.Spot light
2.the under slung exhaust system.