Photo

Lewis Hamilton Thread [merged]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5393 replies to this topic

#1 purplejohn

purplejohn

• 1,601 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 16:28

I wanted to start a new clean thread with the new year coming up.

Former F1 driver Alex Zanardi is confident Lewis Hamilton will bounce back next season, following a trying 2011.

Hamilton endured a difficult year, despite a strong start and while he did still win three races, he suffered a series of on-track incidents – usually with Felipe Massa – and off track personal tragedies, including the deaths of two close friends and the break-up of his high-profile Hollywood relationship, all took their toll. He was also out-performed and out-scored by his McLaren-Mercedes team-mate, Jenson Button, finishing with 227 points, compared to the 270 notched up by his compatriot.

Despite all that, however, Zanardi believes those experiences will only make him stronger for 2012.

"I agree with what you said [about Lewis having a frustrating year]," Zanardi told British newspaper The Daily Telegraph just before Christmas.

"The only thing I can add is that 99 per cent of the people that I know, and this is without considering the talent question because Lewis Hamilton is the most talented driver I have ever seen or ever met, in my view, but even from a maturity point of view 99 per cent of the people I've met in my life are not even close to Lewis Hamilton.

"What is happening to him this year simply means that he's human. Even Lewis Hamilton is vulnerable. I mean if at his age what has happened to him had happened to me, I would probably have been in Monte Carlo with the biggest boat, with the gold Rolex watch, looking down at people and asking 'what the hell do you want from me? I'm the best guy on the planet'.

"Lewis Hamilton is a very wise guy. I had the privilege of interviewing him once for an Italian magazine and I really discovered a guy who is very, very mature for his age. So this tells me that basically he put one foot out of step but I'm sure next year he will have learned his lesson.

“In fact, I'm sure he has already learned his lesson. And he will be able to perform again in the way in which he is capable, in spite of the huge pressure he gets being in England, being Lewis Hamilton."

Quote from crash.net

I honestly believe Lewis with the right car will be WDC 2012

:up:

Advertisement

#2 DutchCruijff

DutchCruijff

• 933 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 16:43

Huge pressure in England? The "pressure" he receives over here makes no impact whatsoever on him.

#3 34psi

34psi

• 72 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 17:14

I have the feeling that hamilton will come back strong. And if he does, Will most prob out qualify button all season.

#4 Mclaren4ever

Mclaren4ever

• 341 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 17:49

I feel 2012 will be his year and I already expect him to dominate winter testing 2012

#5 ForeverF1

ForeverF1
  • RC Forum Host

• 6,580 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 18:24

This thread will automatically re-open at 0700 Hrs GMT on February 1, the day the launch of the 2012 McLaren challenger.
If something news worthy transpires with Lewis Hamilton before that date, it will be re-opened. It is not going to be a "Troll fest".

#6 Kvothe

Kvothe

• 7,439 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 15:23

Well the thread's back open:

What do you think Lewis will do differently this season?

Will his approach in testing be any different to previous years?

Obviously it would be great to get a sensible discussion going on present issues and views. Disuss :).

First of all I think Lewis suffered a lot of bad luck last year capped off with a broken gearbox in the last race. While he didn't help himself with a series of errors in the middle part of the season, A lot of 50/50 decisions, steward decisions, team strategy, situations just refused to go his way, and there's no doubt that this significantly contributed to his lack of form and bad decision making. Vettel meanwhile seemed able to do no wrong, any time something went wrong he seemed to come out of it in second, however with two different problems with his car in the last two races, it might be as Martin Brundle said that his luck has run out, all of which mean next year could be far more balanced in that respect.

I think its obvious that with the Pirelli tyres becoming more marginal, he will definitely be focusing on race set-up and looking after the tyres. Contrary to what many Lewis fans think, I don't think tyres were that much of a problem for him. While there's no doubt they significantly curbed his speed, he only really experienced tyre issues in Malaysia, Turkey, Valencia, Japan and India, and his own errors contributed just as significantly to any loss of points. He has access to all of Jenson's data, and a year of having experienced the Pirelli tyres. Yes its a shame that he can't be more flamboyant or expressive in his driving but seeing him win his second world championship would more then balance that out.

One thing i don't think he needs to change is his mental outlook. A lot of the bad races attributed to him being in a bad place were actually caused by bad luck, poor tyre set-up/management or bad split second decision making. While i think he still needs to not care much about what people say, its more important that he change his approach to his media. The relationship between him and them this year really came home to roost, and it would be no understatement for me to say, that at some times they savaged him. Of course this wasn't helped by some of his own actions such as after Monaco, or Korea qualifying, and there's no smoke without fire, but he shouldn't make it as easy for them. There are also signs from the end of last season that he's beginning to change his approach in this regard, and i hope it continues.

I think after losing to Jenson this year, who did an excellant job, he will definitely be more motivated to come out fighting. He will have analysed his season as a whole and pinpointed exactly what he needs to do and what to focus on. He has the pace, the talent, and the team, he just needs to put it all together.

My Predictions for 2012, Lewis will:

Outqualify and beat Jenson over the year.
Make four apologies :)
Be involved in a controversial stewarding decision
Make the pass of the season

If McLaren build a competitive car I also predict he will be WDC 2012

Edited by ForeverF1, 02 January 2012 - 15:55.

#7 revlec

revlec

• 2,721 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 16:10

For me as a Lewis's fan, the most important for Lewis is to reestablished himself inside McLaren team as the best by beating his team mate.
I have to admit that i secretly hope that the MP4-27 will be a slow car unlike last year.

I know Lewis will have the upper hand if the car is unstable or extreme or not fast at all because when he will qualify 5th, Jenson will be out of Q3(more than often).
Plus, Lewis's confidence now is not at his best while Jenson is at the top of his game.
I will be very carefull to hope to have a very fast car(aka we can compromise more and more) because then, Button will be closer to him in term of speed.

My prediction(hope) is Alonso/Vettel 2012 WDC( good for them). and Hamilton(2013-2014-2015 WDC with new regulations).

So please McLaren bring back the octopus, but use it this time. :)

I'm waiting for the new dog. fingers crossed. :)

#8 tifosiMac

tifosiMac

• 7,360 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 16:17

For me as a Lewis's fan, the most important for Lewis is to reestablished himself inside McLaren team as the best by beating his team mate.
I have to admit that i secretly hope that the MP4-27 will be a slow car unlike last year.

I know Lewis will have the upper hand if the car is unstable or extreme or not fast at all because when he will qualify 5th, Jenson will be out of Q3(more than often).
Plus, Lewis's confidence now is not at his best while Jenson is at the top of his game.
I will be very carefull to hope to have a very fast car(aka we can compromise more and more) because then, Button will be closer to him in term of speed.

My prediction(hope) is Alonso/Vettel 2012 WDC( good for them). and Hamilton(2013-2014-2015 WDC with new regulations).

I can't say I share that view. I hope Lewis has a WDC capable car after so long so he can illustrate the talent he has shown for the majority of his career. If McLaren give Lewis or Jenson a car that handles and provides the type of balance Vettel has enjoyed over the past year, I don't see why neither wouldn't go on to replicate what Seb has done. I think Lewis has the most natural talent and expect him to beat Jenson over the course of a season, but feel Lewis needs a strong teammate to push him like he had in his rookie season. As has been said Lewis made mistakes last year but he also had an awful lot of bad luck thrown into the mix that make the overall result appear misleading. He'll bounce back and is still arguably the best driver on the current grid IMHO.

#9 fieraku

fieraku

• 5,304 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 16:32

The only problem here is that Lewis is wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy more motivated/sharp/happy when he's a title contender in the best car then this dream of yours.You should know this as a Lewis fan.
He'll be devastated if Mac is sh** yet again.

#10 revlec

revlec

• 2,721 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 16:40

The only problem here is that Lewis is wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy more motivated/sharp/happy when he's a title contender in the best car then this dream of yours.You should know this as a Lewis fan.
He'll be devastated if Mac is sh** yet again.

This was last year story.
This year he should give a good beating to his team mate first and win some races.
No need to rush, he's still young and Schumacher became 3xWDC when he was 31.

His confidence is not at his best now. That's my point.
If Lewis is wise, he should agree with me because his reputation will suffer if next year with a very fast car, Jenson will be there with him despite being out-qualified.
His next year focus must be Jenson. Anyway it's my opinon. :)

EDIT: I will be happy if he becomes WDC driving the 3rd best car(possible with 4-5 wet races and some crashes at the front :D ) but i just don't want the car to be the best because i know right now, Jenson will be closer to him.

Edited by revlec, 02 January 2012 - 16:45.

#11 fieraku

fieraku

• 5,304 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 16:45

This was last year story.
This year he should give a good beating to his team mate first and win some races.
No need to rush, he's still young and Schumacher became 3xWDC when he was 31.

His confidence is not at his best now. That's my point.
If Lewis is wise, he should agree with me because his reputation will suffer if next year with a very fast car, Jenson will be there with him despite being out-qualified.
His next year focus must be Jenson. Anyway it's my opinon. :)

The only 'things' Ham needs different in '12 is a new/competent racing engineer and a great car,he'll take care of the rest and that's my opinion.So we'll agree2disagree?

#12 revlec

revlec

• 2,721 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 16:50

The only 'things' Ham needs different in '12 is a new/competent racing engineer and a great car,he'll take care of the rest and that's my opinion.So we'll agree2disagree?

Of course we will agree to disagree. But be prepared to fight with Troggy, as65p, GlenP, Rinehart, and other Button fans if the car is the best of the field. Don't forget we still have the sh*tty tyres.So the last thing you/we will want is to have NO cars between them(1-2).. just saying.

I agree though he needs a new RE :)

#13 nimbus111

nimbus111

• 481 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 16:54

i think if the car is even near competitive with the RB8 then both hamilton and button have a good chance at taking it. cant see the RB8 being much faster then the RB7 and the other tops teams will for sure catch up this winter.

#14 fieraku

fieraku

• 5,304 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 17:02

Of course we will agree to disagree. But be prepared to fight with Troggy, as65p, GlenP, Rinehart, and other Button fans if the car is the best of the field. Don't forget we still have the sh*tty tyres.So the last thing you/we will want is to have NO cars between them(1-2).. just saying.

I agree though he needs a new RE :)

:p
I knew 'what' was the cause of your concern,and I'm not worried.It was an off year for Ham,I expect next year to go to the wire which will make the JB/LH thread the best and my favorite yet again,and I don't see JB as the enemy,they're the only pair worth watching amongst the top teams along with MS/NR if Merc will be one this year.

#15 Curt000

Curt000

• 207 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 19:47

Lewis will be much stronger in 2012 , If they make a good car he should be on it .

#16 Stormsky68

Stormsky68

• 1,623 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 20:37

Hmmm his year depends on 2 things:

1. the tyres Pirelli bring. More shitty soft things made from butter and it will be another year of stiffled driving style
2. the car

I hope for the best, but ready to accept the worst

#17 Lazy

Lazy

• 6,708 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 20:44

Let me get this straight, you want McLaren to give Lewis a crap car so he has a better chance against his team mate?

#18 revlec

revlec

• 2,721 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 21:45

Let me get this straight, you want McLaren to give Lewis a crap car so he has a better chance against his team mate?

It has a better chance anyway(fast or slow cars).. i just think the points difference will be bigher if they have to drive a poor car. :)
I also want him to annoy some of you since last year has been not easy for us Lewis's fans... :)

I understand i'm not the typical Lewis's fan, but i will prefer him to end his career beating ALL the WDC on the grid. I just don't care if Lewis will end his career with 2 WDC or 9 WDC.
If he beats them winning multiple WDC, it would be a bonus.. :)

Edited by revlec, 02 January 2012 - 21:55.

#19 Peter Perfect

Peter Perfect

• 5,618 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 22:07

Who would you suggest as Hamiltons RE? The two RE's at the moment are...

Hamiltons:-

http://www.mclaren.c...s-race-engineer

Andy Latham joined McLaren in 2000, and has taken on a range of technically challenging positions within the company, including roles developing software and the team simulator. With more than six years of trackside experience, including stints working with Kimi Raikkonen and Fernando Alonso, he is perfectly placed to become Lewis's new race engineer.

Buttons:-

http://www.mclaren.c...s-race-engineer

Dave Robson (34) joined McLaren as a graduate in 2000 and worked in the Design Office as a Stress Engineer before moving to the Test Team in 2005. In 2008 Dave joined the Race Team as Assistant Engineer on Heikki Kovalainen’s car and was Performance Engineer on Jenson Button’s car in 2010. For 2011, Dave becomes Jenson’s Race Engineer.

And the principle RE overseeing both drivers teams to ensure complete exchange of data and a unified approach:-

http://www.mclaren.c...-mclaren-racing

Philip Prew started his McLaren career in vehicle dynamics and modelling in 1997. The following year he joined the race team, working as an assistant race engineer to Mika Hakkinen. In 2001, he was promoted to race engineer, a role he oversaw until the end of last season, working with David Coulthard, Juan Pablo Montoya, Pedro de la Rosa and Lewis Hamilton. For 2010, he becomes the team’s principal race engineer.

Advertisement

#20 Disgrace

Disgrace

• 31,165 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 22:33

Lewis will be just fine, regardless of car, next season. For all of his 2011 troubles, many of which personal rather than to do with racing, he was still easily among the top drivers. If that's a shocking/rubbish/horrendous season, he's clearly among the very elite in a good year. I hope for the latter, stunning drives are far more interesting than clumsy collisions with one of the current worst drivers on the grid.

Edited by Disgrace, 02 January 2012 - 22:34.

#21 jj2728

jj2728

• 2,966 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 23:04

I hope for the latter, stunning drives are far more interesting than clumsy collisions with one of the current worst drivers on the grid.

uh huh........ :rolleyes:

#22 ClockworkRacing

ClockworkRacing

• 316 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 00:15

Lewis should focus on beating Jenson on 2012,Macca has already porved in 2009 that they are great when it comes to catch up,so if the car is 4-5 tenths off the pace,i wouldn´t be surprise neither upset.

#23 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 17,232 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 00:35

I hope he keeps his head clear and hits a good stride from the word go. He has shown time and again he can score great results with a not so great car, the biggest challenge is to stay away from trouble. And if for once McLaren can produce a car that hits the ground running, his results will do the talking. I just hope he keeps it together.

#24 flyer121

flyer121

• 4,570 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 13:01

All the best to Lewis for 2012. Hoping for a good fight between him and Vettel.

#25 ClockworkRacing

ClockworkRacing

• 316 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 13:24

Yeah,there were a massive mistake on the aerodynamics of the car,but in 2010 and last year they did a great catch-up,besides that Lewis is great at driving not-so-good cars,while Jenson...

Edited by ClockworkRacing, 03 January 2012 - 13:25.

#26 GlenP

GlenP

• 3,403 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 13:31

Job number one is to beat his team-mate.

All this speculation about the car being not so good and therefore better for LH is just smokescreen. Exactly the opposite argument was extensively used to explain away LH's poor 2011 - and that made no sense either.

I certainly hope that the 2012 is competitive, but I very much doubt that this is a serious factor in the competition between the two drivers.

A clear calm head is what he needs to get rid of those lapses in judgement. He will hopefully have learned from 2011 and will be a bit more shrewd and a smidge less headstrong in 2012.

#27 hammibal

hammibal

• 1,857 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 16:37

Clearly Lewis needs to rebuild his reputation, his driving last year was at times somewhat desperate and clumsy, his decision making very poor. Qualifying showed that he still has more natural speed over Jenson even on the Pirelli's but clearly there were many times he suffered with race pace due to the fragile nature of the tyres. At the moment even if McLaren produce a car at least as good a car as any other car can Lewis produce a WDC winning season because there were far too many races last year where Lewis faltered for one reason or another, it was like a season of one good race. one bad race, one good race, one bad race, the points system rewards consistency as much as race wins so flashes of brilliance are no good against more reliable drivers like Alonso, Vettel and Jenson.

#28 stanga

stanga

• 1,124 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 19:29

I think there is a good chance he can be WDC in 2012. Mainly because it is an Olympic year and, like in 2008, he will miss out on the BBC Sports Personality of the Year because of so many British Olympians coming to the fore. :drunk:

#29 Kvothe

Kvothe

• 7,439 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 22:38

The case put forward for Lewis having a poor car, must be one of the worst arguments i've ever heard. Yes it might give him an advantage relative to Button, but it gives the impression that Lewis can't win against him if the car is good, a point which i wholeheartedly refute.

I don't want another year in the wilderness like 2009, I want to see Lewis going head to head with Vettel, Alonso and Button in equal machinery, if only to confirm what i already know.

Edit: I'm totally fine with with Massa and Webber having superior machinery, we do want it to be a close title battle after all.

Edited by Kvothe, 03 January 2012 - 22:38.

#30 pingu666

pingu666

• 9,272 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 23:01

the goodness of the car wont nesserarily mean drivers are closer together, you would clearly thinkso, but look at webber and vettel.

#31 Bonaventura

Bonaventura

• 7,698 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 23:26

The only thing Lewis needs for 2012, is to enjoy what he is doing (in F1), anything else will come with it
If he finds the "fun" at driving back, he will be ok.

#32 Concorde

Concorde

• 782 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 23:37

The only thing Lewis needs for 2012, is to enjoy what he is doing (in F1), anything else will come with it

Nonsense, he just needs to balance professional and personal life but when -emotionally- immature that's difficult.
That said if he manages 2012 without major drama, falling out with his team and with a WDC he'll have my utmost respect.
:lol:

#33 garoidb

garoidb

• 8,345 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 23:40

Clearly Lewis needs to rebuild his reputation, his driving last year was at times somewhat desperate and clumsy, his decision making very poor. Qualifying showed that he still has more natural speed over Jenson even on the Pirelli's but clearly there were many times he suffered with race pace due to the fragile nature of the tyres. At the moment even if McLaren produce a car at least as good a car as any other car can Lewis produce a WDC winning season because there were far too many races last year where Lewis faltered for one reason or another, it was like a season of one good race. one bad race, one good race, one bad race, the points system rewards consistency as much as race wins so flashes of brilliance are no good against more reliable drivers like Alonso, Vettel and Jenson.

I think those three have stepped it up a notch in the consistency department in 2011, compared even to their own level in 2010, and it will probably continue into 2012. And yes, the system of awarding points for every race, with no dropped scores, does reward it, particularly when reliability is so good generally.

#34 as65p

as65p

• 26,207 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 23:46

I don't want another year in the wilderness like 2009, I want to see Lewis going head to head with Vettel, Alonso and Button in equal machinery, if only to confirm what i already know.

Well, with Alonso and Button we all know, don't we? OTOH if you know he stacks up against Vettel in an equal car, then that's quite impressive! :)

#35 noikeee

noikeee

• 23,156 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 00:02

I suppose my thoughts on Hamilton that I've been posting in the F1 champ odds thread would be more relevant in here, so I'm copy-pasting it:

Lol at how they seem to rate Hamilton's chances. Haven't they realised (like most here have) that he's lost it?

Well, Hamilton's still slightly quicker on average than Button, I wouldn't be surprised at all to see him come back on top next year. Just because he was in a lot of incidents this season and Button was in pretty much none, doesn't mean that it'll happen always. Hamilton is certainly more incident-prone but I think this year was so bad he's unlikely to repeat it.

But he was almost as bad in 2010 as well. In fact, it seems to me that since 2007 he has declined - even his championship year in 2008 was not entirely convincing. This year, he was only really quicker than Button in qualifying. In the races it tended to be the other way round.

That's actually an interesting point, he's certainly not developed much since his wonder rookie season. I thought by now he'd matured into the new Schumacher, clearly not. However it's easy to forget just how badly he hammered Kovalainen, who is now rated high again, in both 2008 and 2009 - and 2009 he pulled some incredible performances with a rubbish car. And I don't agree Button was overall quicker in the races, although he was a lot closer than I expected and did look quicker occasionally.

I think Hamilton is going through a rough mental period and when he's recovered he'll be mega again, what remains to be seen is if he can recover his mojo in the current situation at McLaren or if he'll need a move to stir him up again. I'd say it's almost 50/50 between him and Button next season, but I'd just about tip Lewis to win.

#36 Bonaventura

Bonaventura

• 7,698 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 00:04

Nonsense, he just needs to balance professional and personal life but when -emotionally- immature that's difficult.
That said if he manages 2012 without major drama, falling out with his team and with a WDC he'll have my utmost respect.
:lol:

If you have no joy in what are you doing, you can't give your very best. This is no nonsense if Lewis does not enjoy racing anylonger , and is unhappy with what he is doing, than he will not be successfull
Emotionally - immature- what a cr*p :rotfl:

#37 Concorde

Concorde

• 782 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 00:13

If you have no joy in what are you doing, you can't give your very best. This is no nonsense if Lewis does not enjoy racing anylonger , and is unhappy with what he is doing, than he will not be successfull

If Lewis doesn't enjoy racing anymore he should just bugger off.
It would be a shame because he's entertaining in several ways but hey we all care for the kid's well-being.  ;)

#38 Nigol

Nigol

• 2,740 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 00:17

It would be a shame because he's entertaining in several ways but hey we all care for the kid's well-being. ;)

Thank you for telling, but I assume Hamilton won't read your advices. But please don't stop, cause you're very entertaining.;)

#39 pingu666

pingu666

• 9,272 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 01:24

if hes disinterested then he isnt that exciting, suzuka after the puncture, india first stint, monza. its just sad to watch as you know he can be so much more captivating. and if your disinterested in f1, then your performance drops alot.

Advertisement

#40 AMG FAN

AMG FAN

• 890 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 08:11

they need to remove this shitty system of having Prew overlook both guys,two of them worked very good together...anyway i think he'll be fine,people just blowing things out of proportion,am confident that he'll win the title next year and even if that doesn't happen,he'll give the eventual winner a run for their money.....i was watching the Barcelona gp the other day and at the end all i could say was damn those two guys (Lewis and Vettel) are damn good drivers,i mean they raced hard lap after lap and in traffic without making a single error putting their teammates over half a min behind and lapping the rest of the field....2012 would be a very good season as long as the team deliver a winner,Mclaren have to make this their make or break year and break that WCC drought and also win the WDC just for good measures.

#41 tifosiMac

tifosiMac

• 7,360 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 08:27

they need to remove this shitty system of having Prew overlook both guys,two of them worked very good together...anyway i think he'll be fine,people just blowing things out of proportion,am confident that he'll win the title next year and even if that doesn't happen,he'll give the eventual winner a run for their money.....i was watching the Barcelona gp the other day and at the end all i could say was damn those two guys (Lewis and Vettel) are damn good drivers,i mean they raced hard lap after lap and in traffic without making a single error putting their teammates over half a min behind and lapping the rest of the field....2012 would be a very good season as long as the team deliver a winner,Mclaren have to make this their make or break year and break that WCC drought and also win the WDC just for good measures.

I think hamiltons problem was he got disheartened at the fact he thought he was extracting the mazimum out of the car but was being told the Red Bull was quicker alot of the time. I think that turned into frustration which then went on to mistakes by Lewis. Its obvious he knows this needs to be channeled in a different direction judging by his reflective comments post season. We all know what Lewis can do when he is on the button and if McLaren can deliver a car that is quick in qualifying in 2012, i think we'll see both McLaren drivers back at the front hopefully pushing each other on. Lewis has always strived when placed against a fast teammate as history shows, and I still think they are a great pairing that any team would want.

#42 noikeee

noikeee

• 23,156 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 09:25

I think next season would be mega if the Mac was the quicker car, it'd stir up Lewis and would mean an epic internal battle with Jenson. Unfortunately I think it'll take a big **** up by Red Bull for them to lose their edge.

#43 Peter Perfect

Peter Perfect

• 5,618 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 09:26

It would be a shame because he's entertaining in several ways but hey we all care for the kid's well-being. ;)

True, if Hamilton's zest for F1 has waned he'd be better off doing a Kimi IMHO. Hopefully he starts enjoying it again this year, which he may if he has a car capable of challenging the Red Bulls from race one.

Sounds like you don't quite realise what Prew does.

#44 spacekid

spacekid

• 3,143 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 18:12

I think Lewis will have a much stronger 2012 - it couldn't be much worse than his 2011 - but as Alex says he's only human. He won't have forgotten how to be a great racing driver.

How well he will do though of course relies entirely on how good the Mac is. Given the disasters of last year and the fact the McLaren could still win races I think they will be the team to take the fight to Red Bull next year. As long as he is happy fighting for podiums (and maybe wins) I think Lewis will have a strong year. I can't see a WDC push being on though, simply because the Red Bull/Vettel package appears so strong. I think we'll have to wait til 2013 for a real shake up.

#45 Disgrace

Disgrace

• 31,165 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 18:28

I think next season would be mega if the Mac was the quicker car, it'd stir up Lewis and would mean an epic internal battle with Jenson. Unfortunately I think it'll take a big **** up by Red Bull for them to lose their edge.

Hamilton doesn't need a great car to shine, look at '09.

#46 AMG FAN

AMG FAN

• 890 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 19:54

Sounds like you don't quite realise what Prew does.

please explain to me because here i was thinking that Prew overlooked Button and Lewis.

Edited by AMG FAN, 04 January 2012 - 19:54.

#47 jrg19

jrg19

• 6,118 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 23:09

Hi guys first post from a long time lurker.

Its pretty simple Lewis needs to start by beating Jenson who did a great job last year, once that box is ticked providing he has a competitive car i have no doubts that Lewis can be WDC in 2012.

:wave: :)

#48 AMG FAN

AMG FAN

• 890 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 00:35

Its pretty simple Lewis needs to start by beating Jenson who did a great job last year, once that box is ticked providing he has a competitive car i have no doubts that Lewis can be WDC in 2012.

he has beat him before,you make it seem like that's something that he hasn't been able to do so far.

#49 jrg19

jrg19

• 6,118 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 00:40

he has beat him before,you make it seem like that's something that he hasn't been able to do so far.

I know that and i know Lewis without numerous errors from the team and himself which he has admitted would beat Jenson.

I have no doubt about that because for me Lewis is the best driver on the grid.

#50 theTruth

theTruth

• 516 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 00:52

Welcome, from a fairly new guy myself. :) Agree that Jenson did a great job, but I don't think Lewis can risk becoming transfixed on "have to beat Jenson." Just bring home the points, stay out of trouble, and secure the wins when everything lines up for them. If he can do that, and the cars are even somewhat equal, he should be in the hunt going down the stretch. And in that scenario, my money is on Lewis. Again welcome, and looking forward to your insights, number 4! :D

Edited by theTruth, 05 January 2012 - 01:02.