Photo

Mansell special in Autosport magazine

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#1 TheBunk

TheBunk

• 4,083 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 06:23

I dont have a subscription, but can anyone who does in a few short words summarize what good/bad points come to light?
I was a big fan of him.

Thanks.

Advertisement

#2 wrighty

wrighty

• 3,794 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 11:57

ok, best i can do in 'a few short words'

'buy the mag, it's out now.'

#3 Peat

Peat

• 8,851 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 13:12

I had a scan in the newsagents. The best quote is from his Beechdean engineer, how to say 'he was crap and a nightmare to work with' in a nice way. Made me laugh out loud!

#4 stewie

stewie

• 3,554 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 13:21

The one that made me laugh was an old F3 team boss who said Mansell whinged that he had a worse engine than his team mate - his reply to Mansell was (words to the effect of) 'you can't have done as all the Triumph Dolomite engines were crap!'.

I still like Mansell, even if lots of people do brand him a bit of a moaner.

#5 maverick69

maverick69

• 5,975 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 13:30

Nigel is an arse of the highest order - although if you catch him on one of the rare days when he isn't being an arse he can actually be quite charming.

Still. Personality aside. One of the most iconic racers ever to grace F1 :up:

Edited by maverick69, 29 January 2012 - 13:31.

#6 TheBunk

TheBunk

• 4,083 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 19:42

ok, best i can do in 'a few short words'

'buy the mag, it's out now.'

Tempting for sure!

Nigel is an arse of the highest order - although if you catch him on one of the rare days when he isn't being an arse he can actually be quite charming.

Well said :up:

#7 MarioKart

MarioKart

• 142 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 21:04

Cool, I didn't know they did a special article on Nige! I have to read it :D
Hehe he does like to complain a lot and whinge, but I love his character , great sense of humour :p

#8 CrucialXtreme

CrucialXtreme

• 4,414 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 21:16

Tempting for sure!

You can purchase a single digital edition for $3. :))

It was a long very good special feature.

#9 stewie

stewie

• 3,554 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 23:29

Agreed! Anyone who doubts his talent and raw ability needs to be sat down in front of the last 20 or so laps of Silverstone '87...

#10 Tenmantaylor

Tenmantaylor

• 18,124 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 00:23

Was unlucky not to be a triple champ, one of the most determined drivers ever.

#11 maverick69

maverick69

• 5,975 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 00:26

Agreed! Anyone who doubts his talent and raw ability needs to be sat down in front of the last 20 or so laps of Silverstone '87...

And that's why he will always be a hero of mine. A genuine balls-out racer who thoroughly deserved his world championship - and deserved a couple more.

And the good thing about him being a racing driver was that for 99% of the time you couldn't see the massive phallus protruding from his forehead :smoking:

#12 PretentiousBread

PretentiousBread

• 2,906 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 01:51

Theres a good debate between Mark Hughes and Tony Dodgins about just how good Mansell was (the former being a fan, the latter a detractor).

It is odd that the first third of his career in F1 was so poor, getting well beaten until 1986 basically, and then was beaten again when paired with Prost - suggests he wasn't actually on the same level as Senna/Prost - and yet Fittipaldi, Peter Windsor and even Senna remarked about Mansell's massive raw ability at the wheel. I find him a hard one to rate.

#13 jj2728

jj2728

• 2,966 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 02:05

Best quote I ever read on Mansell....
"A problem for every solution"

#14 slideways

slideways

• 3,395 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 04:48

Mansell is clearly one of the greatest of all times, in terms of sheer talent and determination, and aggressive but clean racecraft.

In terms of his character, watching his old interviews, especially with pro-Mansell interviewers like Murray, he always reminds me of a real life version of Ron Burgundy.

#15 Boing 2

Boing 2

• 4,794 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 14:25

Yup, one of my all time F1 heros but I wouldn't exactly cue up to hear him speak....

#16 Boing 2

Boing 2

• 4,794 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 14:32

P.S, looks like The Tache is back.......

https://twitter.com/#!/Mansell_Nigel/me....com%2FEHGpJDAq

#17 LiJu914

LiJu914

• 2,375 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 15:10

P.S, looks like The Tache is back.......

https://twitter.com/#!/Mansell_Nigel/me....com%2FEHGpJDAq

Nah, he just forgot to shave this morning....

#18 GrumpyOldMan

GrumpyOldMan

• 98 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 23:52

Yes - as an example of bone-headed stupidity and dumb luck, it rather sums up "our Nige's" career.

Mansell was only in a position to win because of a number of coincidental factors:

1) Both drivers originally planned to run non-stop
2) Mansell had a wheel-balancing problem, which forced him into an unscheduled pit-stop. On the face of it, some bad luck which actually turned into very good luck when Piquet's tyres degraded far more quickly than had been anticipated by both Williams & Goodyear
3) Mansell couldn't face the prospect of finishing 2nd, so decided to drive his car into the ground in a fit of pique. He KNEW (as did the team) that he wouldn't finish the race as he was well over on his fuel consumption. These were gauges which were consistently accurate to within a litre, so there was absolutely no reason to distrust them. Why would anyone decide to drive in a way which would guarantee they wouldn't finish the race?
4) Unbeknown to anyone, the fuel gauges on the Williams' had been incorrectly calibrated, leading to an under-reading of the fuel left. So whilst Piquet was driving to finish the race, Mansell was driving to run out of fuel with a lap or two left.

So we have Mansell in the position of not caring that he wasn't going to finish, on fresher tyres which had spent the first half of the race in the oven instead of going round & round and catching his team-mate who knew for certain that fighting too hard was pointless in the circumstances as he would simply have to wait a couple of laps to cruise past Mansell when he inevitably ran out of fuel. Except that Mansell's luck held, the fuel figures were wrong and he won a race that he had done everything to try and lose. Had any one of the above factors not occurred, then he would have been 2nd.

One of the luckiest wins ever. IMHO.

#19 garoidb

garoidb

• 8,470 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 00:18

Yes - as an example of bone-headed stupidity and dumb luck, it rather sums up "our Nige's" career.

Mansell was only in a position to win because of a number of coincidental factors:

1) Both drivers originally planned to run non-stop
2) Mansell had a wheel-balancing problem, which forced him into an unscheduled pit-stop. On the face of it, some bad luck which actually turned into very good luck when Piquet's tyres degraded far more quickly than had been anticipated by both Williams & Goodyear
3) Mansell couldn't face the prospect of finishing 2nd, so decided to drive his car into the ground in a fit of pique. He KNEW (as did the team) that he wouldn't finish the race as he was well over on his fuel consumption. These were gauges which were consistently accurate to within a litre, so there was absolutely no reason to distrust them. Why would anyone decide to drive in a way which would guarantee they wouldn't finish the race?
4) Unbeknown to anyone, the fuel gauges on the Williams' had been incorrectly calibrated, leading to an under-reading of the fuel left. So whilst Piquet was driving to finish the race, Mansell was driving to run out of fuel with a lap or two left.

So we have Mansell in the position of not caring that he wasn't going to finish, on fresher tyres which had spent the first half of the race in the oven instead of going round & round and catching his team-mate who knew for certain that fighting too hard was pointless in the circumstances as he would simply have to wait a couple of laps to cruise past Mansell when he inevitably ran out of fuel. Except that Mansell's luck held, the fuel figures were wrong and he won a race that he had done everything to try and lose. Had any one of the above factors not occurred, then he would have been 2nd.

One of the luckiest wins ever. IMHO.

Even speaking as a Piquet fan, it should be noted that they had lapped the field and that if one of them had run out of fuel on the last lap, the worst he could have finished was second. However, if they both ran out of fuel ...

Edit: the point being that some risk taking on fuel was reasonable in order to try to win without really putting second place at much risk. He was lucky about the tires, for sure. Mansell certainly had good luck in GPs in Britain from 85 (Europe) to 87 (followed by a really great drive in 88).

Edited by garoidb, 31 January 2012 - 00:21.

Advertisement

#20 SCUDmissile

SCUDmissile

• 8,783 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 00:37

My best memory if him was chumping Berger in Mexico 1990 to get a Ferrari one two roun the outside, and vein it was him in a Ferrari against a McLaren made it even sweeter.

Mansells tyres were shot too! I also read somewhere, they may mention it in the mag but I don't have the mag yet, but Patrese came up to him after Mansell outpaced him in a qualifying session I think 1992, and apparently Patrese went up to him and cupped him, just to see whether his balls were as big as they seemed.

This story just sums up Nigel Mansell, my favourite driver from that era in my humble opinion.

#21 cheapracer

cheapracer

• 10,388 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 05:08

My best memory if him was chumping Berger in Mexico 1990 to get a Ferrari one two roun the outside, and vein it was him in a Ferrari against a McLaren made it even sweeter.

I believe Mansell passed more times on the outside (in very serious moves) than any other driver alive.

Mansell was very simply on his best days the fastest GP driver to ever live but as many of us know, he had too many seemingly self inflicted 'off' days.

He is the only driver I have seen back it into the Parabolica and drive it sideways the whole way 'round using every bit of near 1000hp leaving 2 black tyre marks the entire length.

#22 BRG

BRG

• 25,941 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 12:36

The story about Silverstone demonstrates why Mansell became so admired as a true old-school racer, not only in Britain but also in Italy as 'Il Leone', and cheaapracer's anecdote helps to explain that as well. He was a pain in so many ways, but no-one could ever accuse him of not trying. And when his dander was really up, he was peerlessly fast. Going for the win even when it seemed technically impossible is what separates people like Mansell from more sensible ordinary souls like me. I would have given up because I knew it was impossible. He didn't and bingo! It was possible after all.

As for his 'luck' with tyres at Silverstone, well, it balanced out his luck with tyres at Adelaide which cost him a WDC

#23 GlenP

GlenP

• 3,403 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 12:54

Mansell was very simply on his best days the fastest GP driver to ever live but as many of us know, he had too many seemingly self inflicted 'off' days.

Sound like anyone we know? Someone driving currently perhaps?

I loved Mansell - He came along just at the time when I could appreciate that kind of driver. Looking back of course I can see that Prost (for instance) was much more complete - but hell, at the time the excitement and frustration were great.

#24 DanardiF1

DanardiF1

• 10,082 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 13:00

Mansell was a fantastic driver, totally focussed on winning and incredibly fast over both one lap and a whole race. As for the discussion about Silverstone 87, if it was swapped round and Piquet was put in that position, I don't think we would have seen him taking the chequered flag in 1st as we did Mansell...

He had more confidence than talent, but his talent was so great that his even bigger confidence gave him the balls to do amazing things.

#25 ensign14

ensign14

• 61,946 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 13:03

5) He was faster than Nelson Piquet.

Would be interested in the evidence for 3) btw.

#26 holiday

holiday

• 3,473 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 13:31

Mansell was a fantastic driver, totally focussed on winning and incredibly fast over one lap...

Bla bla kiddie report by someone has has never seen him racing (in the same vein as your unqualified AS post mortem BS).

NM was actually rather slow on one lap, being one of the rare WDC who was outqualified by his team-mates (92 to 97): http://f1-facts.com/...-mates/NMansell

#27 DanardiF1

DanardiF1

• 10,082 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 13:35

Bla bla kiddie report by someone has has never seen him racing (in the same vein as your unqualified AS post mortem BS).

NM was actually rather slow on one lap, being one of the rare WDC who was outqualified by his team-mates (92 to 97): http://f1-facts.com/...-mates/NMansell

And how do you know I've never seen him racing?

#28 GlenP

GlenP

• 3,403 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 13:36

Way to cherry-pick the stats!

14 poles in a season ring any bells?

#29 LiJu914

LiJu914

• 2,375 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 13:45

Well that´s wrong also.

In the stat you posted, you can the see e.g. that he had a tie with Prost, who was an excellent qualifiyer (just because of his poor performance against Senna some people assume something different).

In his early years he was rather poor, yes....but afterwards he was pretty good, considering he had top-quality teammates.

#30 LiJu914

LiJu914

• 2,375 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 13:46

Yes, greatest (wing-)car ever.

#31 holiday

holiday

• 3,473 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 13:49

Now these poles are cherry-picking...

Mansell's qualifying career total is beyond fanboy spinning. For a WDC, he was a pretty slow qualifier, 92 to 97 on the negative side. Fact.

#32 holiday

holiday

• 3,473 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 13:54

Well that´s wrong also.

In the stat you posted, you can the see e.g. that he had a tie with Prost, who was an excellent qualifiyer.

Yeah, and what? A complete census (that is the career total) is always more representative, more objective as a small sample (1990 season).

Show me another WDC with 15+ wins who has as much a negative qualifying balance as Mansell, can't think of any right now.

#33 GlenP

GlenP

• 3,403 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 13:59

Now these poles are cherry-picking...

Mansell's qualifying career total is beyond fanboy spinning. For a WDC, he was a pretty slow qualifier, 92 to 97 on the negative side. Fact.

That was over a season - with a team-mate. And in any case, F1 is not qualifying. Why does that make such a difference?

Doesn't detract one iota from my great great memories of watching the Mansell charges. Brilliant racer and gave me years of enjoyment which no fool can take away!

#34 LiJu914

LiJu914

• 2,375 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 14:06

Yeah, and what? A complete census (that is the career total) is always more representative, more objective as a small sample (1990 season).

Show me another WDC with 15+ wins who has as much a negative qualifying balance as Mansell, can't think of any right now.

Why should i, as it has no meaning when you don´t put things into context?
You said he was a poor qualifiyer. That´s wrong. His CV contains 5 WDCs as teammates.
I think it´s obvious, that it´s harder under such circumstances to build up a good looking qualifying-record.
Another example. Piquet is 146:56 and therefore according to you a much better qualifyer - yet he wasn´t able to outqualify Mansell in two consecutive years.

As i said, Mansell was rather poor in Qualifying at the beginning of his career, but later on he was pretty good, although not excellent.

Edited by LiJu914, 31 January 2012 - 14:08.

#35 aditya-now

aditya-now

• 7,447 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 14:11

I agree, holiday - his tie with Prost in 1990 says little about Mansell's overall qualifying ability - as does his car-based record of 14 poles.

Both Prost and Mansell were not really shining lights in this field, and when they did well, it was usually down to the car.

#36 cheapracer

cheapracer

• 10,388 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 14:13

30+ wins actually but you are right, qualy was never a strength of his, I believe he had too much time to consider his car in practice and often convinced himself it wasn't up to scratch - of course in the race he had no choice but to drive what he had so he just got on with it.

#37 LiJu914

LiJu914

• 2,375 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 14:13

Both Prost and Mansell were not really shining lights in this field, and when they did well, it was usually down to the car.

Complete B.S. especially in terms of Prost.

Edited by LiJu914, 31 January 2012 - 14:15.

#38 MarioKart

MarioKart

• 142 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 15:37

You name their qualy time together as a "small sample" , yet you put their points difference in 1990 (again a "small sample" by your words), in your signature. :well:

I love reading your posts but I don't understand the sudden vitriol towards Mansell.
I have huge amount of respect for Prost , and in my view he's one of THE most talked about drivers in these forums.
Why is it hard for some people to give respect to a great driver like Mansell who's been forgotten and dismissed too many times over the years by the media and some F1 experts???
I don't expect them to start praising him but I notice each time someone has a few appreciative words for him, another has to call him a lousy slow driver. :cry: :cry: :(
Here are Prost's words (taken from an interview by Sport Auto 01.08.1990):

Q: "You´re on top in almost every statistic, except pole positions. What´s the reason for that?"

A: "I had never been a specialist in that competition, where the only thing that matters is to be fast on a single lap. Maybe I´m really slower than Senna or Mansell in this category. I always had problems to use the qualifying tires in the best way. In qualifying you need a big heart and take risks, which I´m not ready to accept anymore these days. Last year, Ayrton Senna spun in Stowe corner in Silverstone at 240 kilometres per hour, only because he wanted to beat my time. You can kill yourself by doing such things. For what? Only to get pole position, that´s ridiculous. The most important part of our job is still the race, and that´s what I´m concentrating on."

If the brilliant Professor acknowledges Mansell's speed, then it means something!
If "a complete census (that is the career total) is always moe representative" then it can't be ignored that Nige had fantastic achievements:
F1 (187 starts)
- 1WDC
-31 wins
-59 Podiums
-32 Pole positions
-30 Fastest laps

CART (31 starts)
- 5 wins
-11 poles
-3rd in Indianapolis 500 in 1993
-CART champion
-Rookie of the Year

IMO he was very special! :)

And look at that lovely picture!!! :D (taken from www.life.com)
Posted Image

#39 holiday

holiday

• 3,473 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 18:34

I love reading your posts but I don't understand the sudden vitriol towards Mansell.

Oh thanks, but you completely misjudge me. I am actually a Mansell sympathizer. But it is just not true that he was "incredibly fast over one lap" as initially claimed. Even taking into account all due qualifications and excuses (late-starter, many WDC team-mates), he was not outstanding on one lap. And in the list of GP winners I have to go down to f1 - historically speaking - average drivers like Massa and DC to find drivers who were even slower in comparison to their team-mates. I don't find this offensive to Mansell fans, who watches qualifying anyway?

Advertisement

#40 LiJu914

LiJu914

• 2,375 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 18:56

Even taking into account all due qualifications and excuses (late-starter, many WDC team-mates), he was not outstanding on one lap.

1. Stating that he had tough oppostion and performed significantly worse at the beginning of his career than later on, isn´t an excuse but a fact, which can even be seen in your stats.
2. Saying he was not outstanding is different than claiming "he was poor" (which you initially did).

btw. I´m not a Mansell-Fan at all.

#41 Fortymark

Fortymark

• 5,929 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 19:08

A funny anecdote of Mansell by Vettel

#42 d246

d246

• 1,046 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 19:11

If he had never been interviewed he would be viewed as a great.

#43 MarioKart

MarioKart

• 142 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 21:16

Oh thanks, but you completely misjudge me. I am actually a Mansell sympathizer. But it is just not true that he was "incredibly fast over one lap" as initially claimed. Even taking into account all due qualifications and excuses (late-starter, many WDC team-mates), he was not outstanding on one lap. And in the list of GP winners I have to go down to f1 - historically speaking - average drivers like Massa and DC to find drivers who were even slower in comparison to their team-mates. I don't find this offensive to Mansell fans, who watches qualifying anyway?

I understand you better now :) :up:
Personally I think he did well against his teammates later on, and sometimes produced amazing poles.
1993 surfers paradise qualifying lap record

Another video from his last qualy at Williams, in Adelaide 94. He was a lot older by that time(age 41) and away from F1... but when he put in a committed lap, it was incredible :smoking:
Adelaide Qualifying 1994 part 4

#44 Watkins74

Watkins74

• 6,090 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 21:19

:rotfl:

#45 MrMonaco

MrMonaco

• 604 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 14:15

Mansell was a fantastic driver, totally focussed on winning and incredibly fast over both one lap and a whole race.

He had more confidence than talent, but his talent was so great that his even bigger confidence gave him the balls to do amazing things.

I would put it that way - Senna was obsessed with winning, Prost was the one who was totally focused and committed and Mansell was determined. Those 3 made other great drivers look a bit pale, that's why there is significantly less talking about Rosberg, Piquet, Berger despite their obvious quality. Overall I would say that Nige wasn't on par with Prost and Senna. They were the best duo of their era, period. As for the last sentence - totally agree :up:

#46 BootLace

BootLace

• 213 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 20:58

Appreciate the sentiment, but this is one of my favourite interviews, ever! :)

#47 maverick69

maverick69

• 5,975 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 22:21

Enjoy!

#48 TheBunk

TheBunk

• 4,083 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 01:21

Enjoy!

Thanks! :up:

#49 Ben H

Ben H

• 27 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 14:43

Thought that was a brilliant feature in Autosport, goodness they didn't hold back! says a lot for Nigel that during the fallow years of the refuelling era, where a lot of the races were not up to snuff entertainment wise, the thought would always occur to me: 'i wish Mansell was still racing'. Whether brilliant, good,bad,ugly or downright bizarre there was always something up in 'Mansells World', ALL THE TIME, something to get people talking! Thought Lewis Hamilton was a very '21st century' Mansell this year - from the sublime of that amazing drive at the Nurburgring to the ridiculous of some of his public swipes at mclaren, it just seemed there was some drama\happining at every race.

#50 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 46,294 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 15:46

Enjoy!

That's a great video from a Mansell perspective but it's also great for seeing on track etiquette. All of those could be considered exciting moves and you hardly ever see the defending driver blocking or weaving like is fashionable today. Great stuff.