Photo

F1 Coverage Thread - 2012 Season (BBC and Sky)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3997 replies to this topic

#3951 Piffles

Piffles

• 45 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 15:22

I think the actual race commentary is pretty even stevens and doesn't really matter that much. I can see, understand and get excited about what's going on without DC or Brundle's help.

The whole show is a lot more natural and easy going on BBC; the features are more interesting, and I find their technical explanations drawn on a bit of paper in pitlane more real, to the point and helpful than a whole 10min of flashy 3D animations and giant screens in the Skypad.

To my mind, Garry is the best member of any team: very articulate and knowledgeable, yet not cocky at all. He's a lot like Neil Spalding on Eurosport's MotoGP coverage. They actually say things that you can't get just from the pictures and you actually learn from them.

Edited by Piffles, 28 May 2012 - 15:23.

Advertisement

#3952 robefc

robefc

• 13,534 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 15:25

Well, Grace K. was just some high society bimbo, not Mother Teresa .
If one's existence is defined by notoriety alone, this person is fair game, imho .

Still a poor joke, just because it wasn't funny .

Really? I thought she'd been in a film or two...

Although not being compared to mother teresa should be regarded as a compliment in may ways imo.

#3953 PNSD

PNSD

• 3,276 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 15:31

I never liked Lazenby anyway, so personally I do hope he get's sacked.

You simply can't make a joke like that on live tv.

It's all well and good saying sorry but the point is, it should never have come out in the first place. Talk about a lack of perspective.

#3954 Jon83

Jon83

• 5,341 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 15:34

I think the actual race commentary is pretty even stevens and doesn't really matter that much. I can see, understand and get excited about what's going on without DC or Brundle's help.

The whole show is a lot more natural and easy going on BBC; the features are more interesting, and I find their technical explanations drawn on a bit of paper in pitlane more real, to the point and helpful than a whole 10min of flashy 3D animations and giant screens in the Skypad.

To my mind, Garry is the best member of any team: very articulate and knowledgeable, yet not cocky at all. He's a lot like Neil Spalding on Eurosport's MotoGP coverage. They actually say things that you can't get just from the pictures and you actually learn from them.

I agree with that actually. This weekend, I went with the BBC for the first time of the season and did enjoy it. I did ensure I watched Martin's grid walk but was surprised that I didn't really miss listening to him during the race.

The thing the BBC did with the McLaren drivers is something I just couldn't imagine seeing on Sky (even at this early stage)

Also, didn't miss Crofty yelling 'Pastor MalDONADO' during the race (though obviously on the occasion, that wasn't ever going to happen but still!)

#3955 olliek88

olliek88

• 4,050 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 15:37

Oh god no, the daily mail brigade are onto Simon. It was an inappropriate and silly comment but when i think about the thing that Jez Clarkson says and gets away with he should be alright.

Also, am i right in thinking it was a VT? (i.e. pre-recorded) In which case the producers or whoever was steering the ship should take a portion of blame for not cutting it out.

EDIT: Just reading the article properly and unsurprisingly they managed to drop Princess Diana into it. :rotfl: Standard mail.

Edited by olliek88, 28 May 2012 - 15:39.

#3956 Jon83

Jon83

• 5,341 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 15:39

Oh god no, the daily mail brigade are onto Simon. It was an inappropriate and silly comment but when i think about the thing that Jez Clarkson says and gets away with he should be alright.

Also, am i right in thinking it was a VT? (i.e. pre-recorded) In which case the producers or whoever was steering the ship should take a portion of blame for not cutting it out.

Clarkson is a tory though so no chance the daily mail will go after him surely..

Although he does work for the BBC...

#3957 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 15:40

The Sun ran a story too. I think it's just a slow day. Really, how many people are going to know who Grace Kelly is. It's not like he insulted Princess Diana. And most people under 30 wouldn't care about that one either.

#3958 robefc

robefc

• 13,534 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 15:49

Really dont get what motivation drives all this mock outrage we see in the media these days - yes it was a poor taste comment - said in the heat of the moment whilst ad-libbing thru several hours of live content. Hardly the end of the world though and I am pretty sure all those no-lives on Twitter demanding his resignation, have ALL said something at some point they regretted later.

Readers unfortunately, like those that write into make complaints after reading articles in the mail and not having actually see whatever offended them so...

#3959 johnhen

johnhen

• 62 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 15:57

Personally I like bits from both Sky and the BBC.

The F1 show is great. Ted Kravitz should have got his own show a long time ago! Georgie is a good co-presenter with him here, but she brings absolutely nothing to race weekends, apart from her fantastic arse.

I like Ants commentary and analysis, the skypad is a bit lame but at least it's not overused as it is with Skys football coverage. He is a bit underused though.

The Crofty - Brundle commentary team is my preference. I notice a lot of people talking about mistakes. I never really notice, or when I do it doesnt bother me because it's pretty understandale, it's an non-issue imo. I like DC, but I'd rather not listen to him drone on for an hour and a half, and I've not really listened to enough of Ben Edwards to form an opinion.

Lazenby is a joke. He's not at all likeable, makes cringe worthy comments and jokes, and is just a poor presenter in my opinion. The comment yesterday was ridiculous. I wasn't offened or anything, but if you're going to try crack a Frankie Boyle type joke, at least make it funny. He should be quitely replaced the end of the year.

I prefer Pinky over McKenzie. This expains it.. http://has-lee-mcken...inting-yet.com/
It cant be an easy job doorstepping drivers at bad moments, but Natalie manages to do it with a bit more personality.

The Jake, DC, Eddie team still works well. I've disliked them all at stages over the past 3 years, but I think I've just grown to accept them as the best at fronting an F1 broadcast.
Hill can be a massive dullard, but as someone said at least Johnny Herbert has lived him and things up.

Advertisement

#3960 MinT

MinT

• 2,280 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 16:08

But you have to consider that the comments may have an effect on family members and people close to the family rather than just viewers etc.

If you were related to someone that died in a similar incident and someone poked fun of it on live TV, wouldnt you be offended?

Its a comment about an incident that happened a very long time ago - should it have any "effect" ? Hardly likely to have been heard by any "family member" let alone cause irrevocable emotional damage. I get why the anti-Sky brigade would be rubbing their hands in glee but really its all a bit pathetic.

No wonder the country is in a mess if people fall to pieces beacuse of something the nasty man on tv said.

If Lazenby is guilty of anything its trying too hard to appear relaxed and one of the boys - something he didnt seem to feel the need to do whilst anchoring the rubgy - where he was rather more straight forward and professional. During his apology he admitted it was easy to get caught up in the excitment of the pit lane - and I think that is the problem, he is still the kid in the sweetshop (like Jake was in his first year before he decided he was the biggest gobstopper in the shop) Lazenby may settle down (if hes allowed to) or it may prove that he is too far out of his comfort zone - only time will tell.

#3961 Corngood

Corngood

• 28 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 16:17

From the DM article:

'Some twisty and dangerous roads above us here in Monaco, Princess Grace knows all about them.'

Is that really a direct quote? I remember him saying something about her, but I heard it more as him imagining her driving through the hills, not specifically referencing her death (though obviously still unwise because of her death).

If he's actually admitted to it being a joke, then I guess I was being naive.

#3962 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 16:18

It's hardly the most disasteful thing from a weekend at Monaco.

#3963 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,745 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 16:20

The Sun ran a story too. I think it's just a slow day. Really, how many people are going to know who Grace Kelly is. It's not like he insulted Princess Diana. And most people under 30 wouldn't care about that one either.

So the best-case scenario is that Simon Lazenby intersperses the Sky broadcasts with bits of obscure no-one-can-remember Hollywood trivia? Actually that could work, start by playing the Little Rascals theme whenever either Mclaren driver is being shown. And have Martin Brundle quote Casablanca wherever feasible. Let no example of Formula One extravagance or opulence pass without reference to Richard Burton and Elizabeth Taylor. If nothing else the sport's camp value would skyrocket, very important in this economy.

Edited by Risil, 28 May 2012 - 16:23.

#3964 MinT

MinT

• 2,280 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 16:49

So the best-case scenario is that Simon Lazenby intersperses the Sky broadcasts with bits of obscure no-one-can-remember Hollywood trivia? Actually that could work, start by playing the Little Rascals theme whenever either Mclaren driver is being shown. And have Martin Brundle quote Casablanca wherever feasible. Let no example of Formula One extravagance or opulence pass without reference to Richard Burton and Elizabeth Taylor. If nothing else the sport's camp value would skyrocket, very important in this economy.

Well thats killed the conversation  ;)

#3965 D.M.N.

D.M.N.
  • RC Forum Host

• 7,491 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 17:02

:up:

I wonder if there's a football forum out there on the Internet that has a similar thread to this, where Sky's and the Beeb's output is regularly scrutinised to such an absurd degree? I somehow doubt it...

You can't really compare different football outputs though when one broadcaster has 5 minute highlights of each game only and the other has a lot of games live. Whereas with F1 you can fully, for at least 10 of the 20 races.

#3966 johnhen

johnhen

• 62 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 17:05

From the DM article:

'Some twisty and dangerous roads above us here in Monaco, Princess Grace knows all about them.'

Is that really a direct quote?

Nope, they pulled it from Twitter. Obviously the DM hadnt seen it, like all their readers, but yet all of them were highly offended.

#3967 Corngood

Corngood

• 28 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 17:23

Nope, they pulled it from Twitter. Obviously the DM hadnt seen it, like all their readers, but yet all of them were highly offended.

I'm at work so I don't have the clip handy. Does anyone have the exact quote?

#3968 chrisblades85

chrisblades85

• 2,606 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 18:11

This is from the same rag that ran a 2 page spread about how we were going to chant a convicted rapists name during our last home game of the season. Dont where the got from and it certainly did not happen. Wouldn't wipe my backside with it.

#3969 dank

dank

• 5,191 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 20:28

You can't really compare different football outputs though when one broadcaster has 5 minute highlights of each game only and the other has a lot of games live. Whereas with F1 you can fully, for at least 10 of the 20 races.

Think you missed my point. I doubt football fans go into such inane detail pulling apart the coverage of their sport.

#3970 Crafty

Crafty

• 4,151 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 20:51

You just knew the daily wail would be on the case, like most here I think they are making a mountain out of a mole hill.
What about when DC and EJ had their little spat last year ? DC was incredibly rude to a colleague, live on air. EJ was rendered speechless by shock and they quickly had to kiss and make up. Lazenbys screw up was no worse imho.

Anyways, good coverage again, Damon is really starting to relax - he even had his shirt untucked! :D He and Johnny make a good pundit team.
Nice touch to get Pinkham on the drivers parade and get some good interviews (and a fair bit of ribbing!) from the drivers.
The feature on Graham Hill was very well put together - more of those please.

#3971 THE "driverider"

THE "driverider"

• 804 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 21:09

You just knew the daily wail would be on the case, like most here I think they are making a mountain out of a mole hill.
What about when DC and EJ had their little spat last year ? DC was incredibly rude to a colleague, live on air. EJ was rendered speechless by shock and they quickly had to kiss and make up. Lazenbys screw up was no worse imho.

Anyways, good coverage again, Damon is really starting to relax - he even had his shirt untucked! :D He and Johnny make a good pundit team.
Nice touch to get Pinkham on the drivers parade and get some good interviews (and a fair bit of ribbing!) from the drivers.
The feature on Graham Hill was very well put together - more of those please.

Remind me of what happened with the spat?

#3972 spacekid

spacekid

• 3,143 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 22:01

I have to say, I absolutely love having Gary on the team, the insight he has, stories and his ability to explain technical things is great. I love it when he gets his paper pad out and draws whilst explaining it, it feels like a 1 on 1 chat. His stories about driving the F1 cars about at Monaco in the past as a mechanic were great, him even racing Jody!

Big :up: to this, whenever he speaks I learn. I like Gary, he is really relaxed about being on TV just imparts knowledge and well reasoned opinion.

#3973 spacekid

spacekid

• 3,143 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 22:05

I don't know about Gary Anderson, but the BBC team is very pro Redbull, is this due to DC or is there some other reason why the BBC align themselves to Redbull?

Is it a coolness association factor or something else?

I would guess that DC still has enough connections to get special access to Red Bull, and so when you can get the exclusive why wouldn't you?

I noticed the Sky Team on the barge waiting to get into the pool area while DC was able to have a quick word and get the whole BBC team straight through.

I think the media have to spread out which teams they try to talk to after the race as there is media from a lot of different countries. The BBC will have much better access to a team like Red Bull or McLaren than Ferrari if Ferrari win a race (for instance I bet Niki Lauda can still open some doors there, and I think he is still working in the media), so they will naturally go to where they can get the most attention from the team and build a story from there.

#3974 RedBaron

RedBaron

• 8,584 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 22:21

One of the "tweet quotes" the Daily Mail used in their article was from my Twitter, they're my words. Luckily they used a false name, otherwise I'd be pretty irritated that I was associated with that garbage. What I said was partly in shock the comment got to air and partly in jest (which their shoddy attempt at reporting obviously didn't convey) and I certainly don't think Simon Lazenby should be sacked and I wasn't offended or disgusted. Was a silly comment, which he apologised for. That's it done with...

As far as Sky vs BBC, I'm confused. I felt Sky was really improving which they are; Damon Hill especially. Then I watched the coverage again re-live on the BBC and with the F1 forum and I think the BBC is still out doing Sky. It comes down to taste in the end, which type of show people prefer. The features are definitely better on the BBC though, by a long way.

Oh, the Skypad... it's still detached from the coverage, and removes the audience from the 'live' experience... but that's definitely improved, but still has room for much more.

#3975 JV97

JV97

• 199 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 22:25

Georgie Thompson totally pointless and out of place. And Skypad poorly implemented.

But other than that. Sky is pretty good.

#3976 Crafty

Crafty

• 4,151 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 22:27

Remind me of what happened with the spat?

EJ was wittering on about something or other and contradicting himself as usual, I can't recall the actual phrase that DC used but he said something like "you're talking rubbish what the hell are you on about?" almost as soon as he said it he knew he'd overstepped the line and started going red, EJ looked like he was going to cry and also blushed, I think they cut away to a interview or something and when they came back Jake had to say "we're all good pals really" and DC/EJ did a bit of backslapping to apparently show there we no hard feeling, EJ still looked pretty green though.

Don't remember which race it was.

#3977 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 22:36

Wow, that really is scandalous.

#3978 Les

Les

• 2,116 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 22:52

Oh crikey the bloody Daily Mail and their permanently outraged readers! This being the same rag that was happy to display graphic pics of Dan Wheldon and Marco Simoncellis accidents when it suited them but to make an inappropriate remark, apologise and move on... Well that's unacceptable apparently...

#3979 pdac

pdac

• 17,232 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 23:01

Er, I think in Monaco it is - that's why there's so much fuss.

Advertisement

#3980 Velocifer

Velocifer

• 736 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 00:03

Gary Anderson is excellent, especially in the post-forum. Wish they would put him on more.

#3981 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 00:13

Fuss from who though?

#3982 Peat

Peat

• 8,851 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 07:15

Will someone PLEASE just think of the children!

#3983 D.M.N.

D.M.N.
  • RC Forum Host

• 7,491 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 08:07

EJ was wittering on about something or other and contradicting himself as usual, I can't recall the actual phrase that DC used but he said something like "you're talking rubbish what the hell are you on about?" almost as soon as he said it he knew he'd overstepped the line and started going red, EJ looked like he was going to cry and also blushed, I think they cut away to a interview or something and when they came back Jake had to say "we're all good pals really" and DC/EJ did a bit of backslapping to apparently show there we no hard feeling, EJ still looked pretty green though.

Don't remember which race it was.

Wow, that really is scandalous.

I remember after Massa's accident in Hungary '09, EJ went into speculation mode and tried to speculate the outcome of Massa's accident.

#3984 jamiegc

jamiegc

• 2,429 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 08:09

How many Monegasque's were telling their wives to close the windows on Sunday as those F1 cars going past mean that they couldnt hear the Sky F1 footage?

#3985 ExFlagMan

ExFlagMan

• 5,726 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 08:14

Will someone PLEASE just think of the children!

I think the average Mail reader would probably want you arrested for that :mad:

#3986 D.M.N.

D.M.N.
  • RC Forum Host

• 7,491 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 08:16

From reliable insider C.M.W. on Digital Spy: http://forums.digita...;postcount=2675

Jake wanted to interview Simon at the beginning of the Forum yesterday, spent the gap between the main show and the forum trying to get the Sky boys on....

And from Charles Sale in the Daily Mail: http://www.dailymail...ollies-out.html

There is going to be huge pressure on Sky Sports Formula One presenter Simon Lazenby following his totally inappropriate comment at the Monaco Grand Prix when he said: ‘Some twisting and dangerous roads above us. Princess Grace knows all about them.’ The Princess died in a car crash in 1982.

Lazenby, nicknamed Fake Jake by F1 aficionados because he’s not as good as BBC counterpart Jake Humphrey, apologised on air and was later reprimanded by his bosses.

But given the fuss rights-holders Sky made after Kevin Pietersen’s disparaging tweet about cricket pundit Nick Knight, and Richard Keys and Andy Gray departing for off-air sexist comments, the odds on Lazenby presenting Sky’s Grand Prix races next season are slim.

#3987 Peat

Peat

• 8,851 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 08:38

I think the average Mail reader would probably want you arrested for that :mad:

He's a pediatrician! Get Him!

#3988 WatchingF1since4yearsold

WatchingF1since4yearsold

• 250 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 08:44

very glad we have Sky tbh, not fond of BBC coverage this season at all.

#3989 Alexis*27

Alexis*27

• 1,095 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 10:00

I like Lazenby. He does a good job IMO and doesn't seem to do the anchor role any worse or better than Jake.

#3990 Pharazon

Pharazon

• 1,156 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 10:18

PLANT!

#3991 Disgrace

Disgrace

• 31,346 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 10:21

PLANT!

What? I'm glad we have Sky too then we can watch all races live, advert-free and in English. Highlights don't do the necessary tension for me.

And from Charles Sale in the Daily Mail

I wish you wouldn't bring the Daily Fail into this thread, as I like to read this thread and not that rag. I don't think it's right for the thread to turn into a commentary on their sheep readers opinions.

Edited by Disgrace, 29 May 2012 - 10:23.

#3992 Octavian

Octavian

• 703 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 10:27

I've found the coverage to be almost exactly the same. I watched the first four races via Sky and the last two via the BBC - I really don't see the need for bickering. Each channel has its plus point and each has its negatives but neither is a deal breaker. Sky have the advantage because they have every race live and will always win in that regards but when both channels air a race live it seems to be the same.

I did really enjoy Gary Anderson on the BBC though - he really adds an in depth feel to events and his calls in qualifying were spot on, I just wish he'd speak up a little bit as he is very vocally quiet sometimes.

Brundle and DC really carry both of their shows really well but Croft and Edwards are really both woeful! Why do they get excited over nothing! A back marker sets the fastest lap in the opening minutes qualifying and they are screaming like the guy just got pole!

Edited by Octavian, 29 May 2012 - 10:29.

#3993 Disgrace

Disgrace

• 31,346 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 10:31

I've found the coverage to be almost exactly the same. I watched the first four races via Sky and the last two via the BBC - I really don't see the need for bickering. Each channel has its plus point and each has its negatives but neither is a deal breaker. Sky have the advantage because they have every race live and will always win in that regards but when both channels air a race live it seems to be the same.

I did really enjoy Gary Anderson on the BBC though - he really adds an in depth feel to events and his calls in qualifying were spot on, I just wish he'd speak up a little bit as he is very vocally quiet sometimes.

I prefer Lee's drivers interviews over Natalie and both Ted and Gary are great at what they do. With everything uploaded to their respective websites, we get twice the number of interviews/features more or less. I think both commentary teams are highly competent though with no Legard or ITV-era Allen in sight. Croft and Edwards get overexcited but at least it's coherent English they speak. I am personally immune to such shouting. Things have never been better.

Edited by Disgrace, 29 May 2012 - 10:32.

#3994 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,736 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 10:32

Pretty much sums it up. I get the impression that some people still seem to think that Sky have stolen the coverage and are desperately looking for reasons to put them down.

#3995 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,745 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 10:32

I wish you wouldn't bring the Daily Fail into this thread, as I like to read this thread and not that rag. I don't think it's right for the thread to turn into a commentary on their sheep readers opinions.

The comments in the Mail had already been brought into the thread, D.M.N. was only posting parts of the article directly. It's better we discuss what the newspaper actually said, rather than what we think it did/what we think its regular readers want to hear. Should also point out that it's a three-paragraph aside in a sports column which is mostly talking about football. There's a bit of think-of-the-children Establishmentry about it and labelling Lazenby "Fake Jake" (does anyone really say this) grates a bit, but Mr Sale's interpretation is basically fair I think. It certainly reinforces the impression that Sky Sports is a Boys' Club run for dirty old men and their hangers-on, and TV audiences deserve better than that.

Basically what I'm saying is that can we find an F1 version of Jeff Stelling please.

#3996 Jon83

Jon83

• 5,341 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 10:48

Why would Jake seriously want to interview Simon?

If serious, seems a bit childish.

#3997 JRizzle86

JRizzle86

• 2,096 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 11:26

Simon is that you?

#3998 sumpthy

sumpthy

• 290 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 11:35

Think you missed my point. I doubt football fans go into such inane detail pulling apart the coverage of their sport.

Have you never seen a BBC vs. ITV thread during a World Cup?