Photo

'BRM Day' October 2012 (merged)

• Please log in to reply
196 replies to this topic

#1 Ralf Pickel

Ralf Pickel

• 622 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 08:44

Sorry, if that one has been mentioned elsewhere - but probably a date to mark in the calendar.
BRM Day

Advertisement

#2 Phil Rainford

Phil Rainford

• 5,302 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 09:00

From Race Retro:

Posted Image

PAR

#3 Eric Dunsdon

Eric Dunsdon

• 1,021 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 09:15

Looks like a trip to Lincolnshire in October for me then!.

#4 brucemoxon

brucemoxon

• 1,005 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 09:18

I thought it was this Friday - March 2nd.

The 50th anniversary of the birth of me - Bruce Robert Moxon!

#5 Tuboscocca

Tuboscocca

• 1,324 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 09:29

Looks like a trip to Lincolnshire in October for me then!.

What they missed to say: presentation of Volume IV of DCN's BRM book???( poking and joking!)

Best regards Michael

#6 DampMongoose

DampMongoose

• 2,258 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 09:37

Did anyone go to the last one back in 1999? Knowing a few people involved with the cars it sounds like it will be a bit tamer and more of a sedate parade this time around, It was a great day last time and a bit hairy at times opposite lock in the town square (the rozzers thought so anyway, much frantic arm flapping etc) I thought it was ace, There are some perks to living in Bourne after all!

#7 Ralf Pickel

Ralf Pickel

• 622 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 09:38

Well, would be the perfect place for the book premiere - including signing sessions etc. ! :wave:

#8 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 6,708 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 10:02

Looking forward to visiting Lincolnshire for the first time in 20 plus years, what chance an H16 will put in even a sedate appearance ?

#9 Odseybod

Odseybod

• 1,799 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 10:14

Did anyone go to the last one back in 1999? Knowing a few people involved with the cars it sounds like it will be a bit tamer and more of a sedate parade this time around, It was a great day last time and a bit hairy at times opposite lock in the town square (the rozzers thought so anyway, much frantic arm flapping etc) I thought it was ace, There are some perks to living in Bourne after all!

I woz there and great funh it was too - though I could have sworn I saw some members of the constabulary encouraging greater speed, not less.

#10 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 8,397 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 10:20

Did anyone go to the last one back in 1999? It was a great day last time and a bit hairy at times opposite lock in the town square (the rozzers thought so anyway, much frantic arm flapping etc) I thought it was ace,

I'd agree with you - a great day. Nick Mason and Tom Wheatcroft with V16s, Peter Gethin with the Monza winner, plus a load of ERAs. If cars were allowed to roar through the streets as close to the crowds as they were in 1999 I can imagine the 'Elf 'n Safety' police having an apoplectic fit.

#11 DampMongoose

DampMongoose

• 2,258 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 10:25

I woz there and great funh it was too - though I could have sworn I saw some members of the constabulary encouraging greater speed, not less.

Really?, they were trying to curb enthusiasm in the open section in the town centre, cos some drivers were stomping on the loud pedal a bit and becoming a bit wriggly very close to the spectators, I was watching at the time, from the 2nd floor offices just next to The Nags Head, it was ace...

#12 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 8,397 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 11:20

Really?, they were trying to curb enthusiasm in the open section in the town centre, cos some drivers were stomping on the loud pedal a bit and becoming a bit wriggly very close to the spectators

Posted Image

#13 DampMongoose

DampMongoose

• 2,258 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 11:28

Posted Image

Ha Ha! I only saw cars that were a bit wriggly, you appear to have captured something else!

That photo is crying out for a caption competition...

#14 cdrewett

cdrewett

• 361 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 11:53

Sorry, if that one has been mentioned elsewhere - but probably a date to mark in the calendar.
BRM Day

If you can't wait till October, the Midland Automobile Club are celebrating 50 years since Graham Hill's championship win at Shelsley Walsh on the 2nd and 3rd of June. A number of cars and BRM personalities will be there.
Chris

#15 dwh43scale

dwh43scale

• 454 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 14:54

http://www.brmday.co.uk/

Apologies if this has been posted before. May be of interest to some members

#16 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 8,397 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 15:00

Apologies if this has been posted before. May be of interest to some members

Indeed it has already got its own thread http://forums.autosp...w...=162069&hl=

#17 Bloggsworth

Bloggsworth

• 9,389 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 23:08

I still have my ORMA membership card, will that get me in for free?

#18 Bill Harding

Bill Harding

• 85 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 17:10

Not long until BRM day
I gather that there will be at least 25 BRMs running including 3 cars being flown from the States
All the grandstands have sold out and it should be a fantastic day
The website is http://brmday.co.uk/index.html

#19 Pullman99

Pullman99

• 839 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 05:32

Hoping to be there (missed the last one). Does anyone know if Andy Middlehurst's Lotus 43-BRM is due to appear? I believe that the BRM day is intended to be the car's running debut following its static display at The Lotus Festival in 2010. Even without the sound of the victorious sixteen-cylinder, the line-up promises to be truly outstanding.

Posted Image

Kindly insert one BRM H-16 here!
Posted Image

Advertisement

#20 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 6,708 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 06:18

I know the grandstands are full but can one just turn up anyway, couldn't see anything on the website to suggest a general entrance fee ?

#21 Glengavel

Glengavel

• 1,300 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 09:28

Kindly insert one BRM H-16 here!
Posted Image

Massed ranks of Lotus mechanics: "Kindly don't!"

Edited by Glengavel, 22 September 2012 - 09:32.

#22 Pullman99

Pullman99

• 839 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 10:08

Massed ranks of Lotus mechanics: "Kindly don't!"

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

#23 DampMongoose

DampMongoose

• 2,258 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 11:57

Just an update that was in one of our local papers this morning...

Jackie Stewart will also participate driving a P261 a week on Sunday!

Link below:

http://www.stamfordm...ourne-1-4295255

#24 RTH

RTH

• 6,064 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 13:59

Posted Image

Ah yes .....The Ministry of funny Police walks.

#25 DampMongoose

DampMongoose

• 2,258 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 14:15

I know the grandstands are full but can one just turn up anyway, couldn't see anything on the website to suggest a general entrance fee ?

There is no charge for general admission (just make your way into town) as it would be impossible to enforce... there is a park and ride service apparently that will have a cost as our local papers suggest, although I could suggest some parking places that would mean you could walk into town if you wished, the only other costs I would imagine would be for access to the individual displays and gallery etc, the proceeds going to our local charities.

#26 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 6,708 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 15:11

I'll happily use the P&R DampMongoose I'm sure the local residents will have more than enough to contend with on the day without BRM fans and sundry Grockles flooding the local car parks.

I hope there will still be some home made cake left when I arrive ! :wave:

#27 DampMongoose

DampMongoose

• 2,258 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 16:55

I'll happily use the P&R DampMongoose I'm sure the local residents will have more than enough to contend with on the day without BRM fans and sundry Grockles flooding the local car parks.

I hope there will still be some home made cake left when I arrive ! :wave:

All the Bourne churches are offering home made cake Art' so I think you'll be ok on that count... As for parking, the locations of a couple of the Park and Rides are pretty much walking distance anyway so see how fit you feel, one would involve walking past Raymond Mays house and the old BRM/ERA workshops too, so if you're feeling fit???

Did you come to the 1999 anniversary as well? That was incredible, we had a recent taster when the ex-Pedro Rodriguez/Jackie Oliver Yardley P153 ex-Piers Courage/Pedro Rodriguez P126 were driven through the crowds at the Olympic Torch Relay... it was my two girls (4 & 6) first experience of the sounds of BRM so they're looking forward to me dragging 'em round next week...

Unless I apply to help as a Marshall that is... the Mrs will have the job if that happens!

Edited by DampMongoose, 28 September 2012 - 17:00.

#28 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 6,708 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 17:40

No this will be my first trip to Bourne.

Which P&R car park would I want to use to walk past Raymond Mays House and the BRM/ERA workshops, and how long a walk would we be talking ?

May as well make it a proper pilgrimage....

if your sure there will be plenty of cake  ;)

#29 DampMongoose

DampMongoose

• 2,258 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 18:16

Having just looked again at the website, I notice that the Park & Ride I was looking at is for Motorcycles and Coaches only, it's the Carlsberg Brewery site... however you would be able to park somewhere close by later in the day and walk up to Eastgate and the Delaine Bus Depot/Auction Rooms to have a gander... there are plenty of places to park as it's all residential out that way. You can see the locations on the map if you zoom in!

If you are on a m'bike and can park there, it would take me about 15-20mins max to be at the Abbey Road grandstand area, which on the map is where you can see the cricket pitch. So if you've half an hour in the afternoon you could have a look!

Link below

http://www.brmday.co...ginfo.htmlAbbey

Edited by DampMongoose, 28 September 2012 - 18:21.

#30 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 6,708 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 18:21

Having just looked again at the website, I notice that the Park & Ride I was looking at is for Motorcycles and Coaches only, it's the Carlsberg Brewery site... however you would be able to park somewhere close by later in the day and walk up to Eastgate and the Delaine Bus Depot/Auction Rooms to have a gander... there are plenty of places to park as it's all residential out that way. You can see the locations on the map if you zoom in!

If you are on a m'bike and can park there, it would take me about 10-15mins max to be at the Abbey Road grandstand area, which on the map is where you can see the cricket pitch. So if you've half an hour in the afternoon you could have a look!

Link below

http://www.brmday.co...ginfo.htmlAbbey Road grandstand area

Thanks unfortunately by Golf has 4 wheels and even though it's an estate I don't think it will count as a coach :up:

But I'll see if I can't take in the house and workshops anyway :-)

#31 DampMongoose

DampMongoose

• 2,258 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 18:33

Thanks unfortunately by Golf has 4 wheels and even though it's an estate I don't think it will count as a coach :up:

But I'll see if I can't take in the house and workshops anyway :-)

Yeah most of us locals can just about spot the difference between a Golf Estate and a Bus...just!

Anyway if you want to know anything further just ask, I'll try and help you as best I can as a lifetime Bourne resident!

Edited by DampMongoose, 28 September 2012 - 18:47.

#32 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 6,708 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 23:45

Anyway if you want to know anything further just ask, I'll try and help you as best I can as a lifetime Bourne resident!

Time and place for a possible TNF meeting ?

#33 DampMongoose

DampMongoose

• 2,258 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 18:13

Smiths or Jubilee would be a good place for a pint!

#34 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 6,708 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 09:09

Smiths or Jubilee would be a good place for a pint!

Sounds great which one for a meeting during the scheduled lunch break between 13:00 and 14:00 ?

#35 DampMongoose

DampMongoose

• 2,258 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 18:22

Sounds great which one for a meeting during the scheduled lunch break between 13:00 and 14:00 ?

Although they've recently refurnished the Jubilee and rebranded it Jubilee Garage with a VW Camper Van as a bar and the odd BRM photo on the wall, it's a bit wide of the mark to me and I reckon Smiths is a better pub, plus it has a good garden, given it will be busy... it may be tricky to get in either given they're on the parade route though?

http://www.smithsofb...tour.php?view=8

http://www.jubileega....com/index.html

Let me know what anyone thinks?

There are plenty of pubs in our little town though so it doesnt have to be at either...

#36 Odseybod

Odseybod

• 1,799 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 09:39

Although they've recently refurnished the Jubilee and rebranded it Jubilee Garage with a VW Camper Van as a bar and the odd BRM photo on the wall, it's a bit wide of the mark to me and I reckon Smiths is a better pub, plus it has a good garden, given it will be busy... it may be tricky to get in either given they're on the parade route though?

http://www.smithsofb...tour.php?view=8

http://www.jubileega....com/index.html

Let me know what anyone thinks?

There are plenty of pubs in our little town though so it doesnt have to be at either...

Poised to meet up wherever, whenever. A less obvious pub within walking distance of the main festivities would be my choice, if there is such a thing?

#37 DampMongoose

DampMongoose

• 2,258 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 10:04

Poised to meet up wherever, whenever. A less obvious pub within walking distance of the main festivities would be my choice, if there is such a thing?

The difficulty is that although our little town has an abundance of Public Houses, 8 of the 10 pubs in Bourne that are within walking distance are on the parade route! The remaining 2 are only 100 yards from the town centre/parade route... so they'll all be a tad busy I reckon!

#38 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 6,708 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 10:56

I'll go with the best available local advice and suggest we do our best to meet at Smith's, the weather looks set to be dry so the Garden might be a welcome bonus :up:

Edited by arttidesco, 02 October 2012 - 12:30.

#39 DampMongoose

DampMongoose

• 2,258 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 12:18

I'll go with the available local advice and suggest we do our best to meet at Smith's, the weather looks set to be dry so the Garden might be a welcome bonus :up:

A quick edit ;) Wouldn't want to end up in legal difficulties with suggesting my advice is in any way superior enough to be considered 'best'!

Smiths is usually good for a decent guest ale too, which I would stereotypically place as a priority for TNF members?

Advertisement

#40 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 6,708 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 12:29

A quick edit ;) Wouldn't want to end up in legal difficulties with suggesting my advice is in any way superior enough to be considered 'best'!

Smiths is usually good for a decent guest ale too, which I would stereotypically place as a priority for TNF members?

I'll be on the non alcoholic ginger beer as Bourne is some 170 miles and a 3 hour plus drive from Bristol so 5 am start :eek:

#41 Odseybod

Odseybod

• 1,799 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 13:06

I'll be on the non alcoholic ginger beer as Bourne is some 170 miles and a 3 hour plus drive from Bristol so 5 am start :eek:

Well, I might be allowed one pint, as I'm a bit closer.

Anyway, sounds as though we have A Plan.

#42 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 6,708 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 23:00

Well, I might be allowed one pint, as I'm a bit closer.

Anyway, sounds as though we have A Plan.

:up:

I'll be wearing my VW hat with additional Chinese characters on it and a Gurney for President badge for easy identification :smoking:

#43 Eric Dunsdon

Eric Dunsdon

• 1,021 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 08:19

I'll be wearing my VW hat with additional Chinese characters on it and a Gurney for President badge for easy identification :smoking:

A V.W hat at a BRM 'do'?!! :down: . Better if it was a flat one!.

#44 DampMongoose

DampMongoose

• 2,258 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 08:44

VW hat? You're right you will be easily identified... you'll be the chap stranded at the Park&Ride when the driver refuses to let you on! :p

#45 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 6,708 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 20:24

VW hat? You're right you will be easily identified... you'll be the chap stranded at the Park&Ride when the driver refuses to let you on! :p

Well I have a nice #29 Happy Harvick Shell Nascar hat, but it's now out of date and not yet classic so I guess I'll have to dig out the flat hat reserved for Goodwood as recommended :-)

#46 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,581 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 20:39

Whilst browsing the map of Bourne I spotted a pub called The Anchor in Eastgate, not far from Raymond Mays' house and a little way away from the parade route. I thought it might be a tad less crowded than Smiths for a lunchtime TNF meet. What do you reckon, Mr Mongoose - is it any good?

#47 DampMongoose

DampMongoose

• 2,258 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 08:48

Tim, The Anchor is a bit of a walk given the lunchtime break only lasts an hour... it's nearly a mile from the square? I did think of it as a choice originally (TNF Lunchtime Darts Tournament) but thought people would have prefered to stay nearer the action for practicality and energy saving, but I'm happy with what anyone wants to do, I was thinking that all the pubs will be pretty busy and the large outside area of Smiths was a comfortable place once a drink was in hand... The Masons on South Street is just off the route but near the Raymond Mays memorial for an alternative.

Art, after a 170 mile trip the bus drivers should let you on for free! So I wouldn't worry too much about headwear  ;)

#48 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,581 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 09:26

Tim, The Anchor is a bit of a walk given the lunchtime break only lasts an hour... it's nearly a mile from the square?

Fair point. My thinking was that, at some stage during the day, I'd like to see Eastgate House and the old ERA/BRM works, and it seemed like a good way of killing two birds with one stone, plus it looks fairly close to the eastern end of the parade route. That said, I'm more than happy to stick with Smiths if that's the general preference.

#49 DampMongoose

DampMongoose

• 2,258 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 09:40

Fair point. My thinking was that, at some stage during the day, I'd like to see Eastgate House and the old ERA/BRM works, and it seemed like a good way of killing two birds with one stone, plus it looks fairly close to the eastern end of the parade route. That said, I'm more than happy to stick with Smiths if that's the general preference.

Yeah, if people are keen to have a look down Abbey Road/Eastgate then it would certainly fit in well to go the pub up there and do them both together! I'm happy wherever, so let's see what people want to do...

#50 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 6,708 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 13:12

I'm easy with a 340 mile round trip in the car I'm game for the walk to the works before, during or after the days festivities.