Photo

Is Alonso the best talented-driver since Ayrton?

• Please log in to reply
189 replies to this topic

#1 TonyAlmeida

TonyAlmeida

• 13 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 13:59

Well, I must admit that Alonso is not one of my favourite drivers, but I do not hate him (like half of Autosport members) and I see the huge driver he is. He won two championships without a winner car, that Renault was very fast, but McLaren 2005 and Ferrari 2006 were competitives in the same way that Renault was. In 2007 Lewis taught him some things, but some movements of McLaren were suspicious and I think they support was almost 100% in Hamilton. Renault 2008 and 2009 had a terrible car, and yet he won some races.

Now in Ferrari he is almost God. The best driving of his career, a well-deserved tittle in 2010 flew because of the team (with the 3rd car, and fighting against a rocket like Red Bull). And today this amazing skill show. Massa, with the same bad car, has 0 points, Alonso 35. This forums used to have some class, and we have to see Alonso is a legend. Perez did it superb today, but I think they are overrating his work on Malasya only to underestimate Alonso's.

From my point of view, I haven't seen such a talent since Ayrton. Schumacher was good, but he was dirty many times and that Ferrari was a rocket. I really think that Alonso not only is the best actual driver so far, but he is one of the bests of all time. What do you think?

Advertisement

#2 ruby soho

ruby soho

• 478 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 14:00

He's not your favourite driver, but you're still a fanboy? Hmmm who's second nick is this?

Alonso is a great driver, but you could have just posted that in to the Alonso thread and not get so much hate.

Edited by ruby soho, 25 March 2012 - 14:02.

#3 Pizdek

Pizdek

• 294 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 14:02

He's not your favourite driver, but you're still a fanboy? Hmmm who's second nick is this?

Jack Bauer?!

#4 Boxerevo

Boxerevo

• 3,664 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 14:02

No,Schumacher came first. :wave:

But all wdc drivers are awesome,we dont have a weak wdc.

I think now Alonso is the best,i hope lewis can develop more and be the better one someday.

Edited by Boxerevo, 25 March 2012 - 14:03.

#5 TonyAlmeida

TonyAlmeida

• 13 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 14:03

FYI, Kimi is my favourite driver.

#6 harrys

harrys

• 294 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 14:03

What an insult to Ayrton. Alonso couldn't even beat a rookie teammate in 2007. Half his wins have come because of his team either implementing team orders (e.g. Germany) or cheating (e.g. Singapore) He just can't deal with his teammate having equal status in the team. In this respect he is EVEN WORSE than Michael.

#7 figue

figue

• 192 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 14:04

No,Schumacher came first. :wave:

But all wdc drivers are awesome,we dont have a weak wdc.

I think now Alonso is the best,i hope lewis can develop more and be the better one someday.

oh yes we do, actually last 2 wdcs are rather weak

#8 Stormsky68

Stormsky68

• 1,623 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 14:05

1 win and we get this kind of thread :rolleyes:

#9 Konsta

Konsta

• 2,890 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 14:05

Fernando is a great driver. So are SV, LH, JB and KR. He is not any better than any of those - a superb racer nevertheless.

#10 jimjimjeroo

jimjimjeroo

• 2,734 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 14:06

Alonso didn't win, McLaren lost

#11 ruby soho

ruby soho

• 478 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 14:13

Fernando is a great driver. So are SV, LH, JB and KR. He is not any better than any of those - a superb racer nevertheless.

True, there are no God like drivers, even Ayrton has horrible at times. Alonso belongs to the top drivers, but they all make mistakes.

#12 kosmos

kosmos

• 11,908 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 14:15

This is something that should be judged when Alonso retires, and probably is not going to be fair for Senna because he didn't retired from F1, he ended his career prematurely, sadly. What is clear is that Alonso is in the top 10 of the modern era of F1.

#13 peacockantony

peacockantony

• 1,343 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 14:21

Alonso didn't win, McLaren lost

Christian Horner? :wave:

#14 zyphro

zyphro

• 742 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 14:24

This becoming more and more ridiculous.

Look no matter what you say, he lost to a rookie IN HIS PRIME.

Edited by zyphro, 25 March 2012 - 14:24.

#15 Xsaravts

Xsaravts

• 74 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 14:26

Posted Image

#16 TonyAlmeida

TonyAlmeida

• 13 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 14:29

I didn't see that overtake. Thank God I saw Vettel in his legendary race so many times today.

#17 TitoPuente

TitoPuente

• 122 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 14:29

And that tie on points defines all his earlier and later career?

#18 TitoPuente

TitoPuente

• 122 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 14:30

Half his wins have come because of his team either implementing team orders (e.g. Germany) or cheating (e.g. Singapore)

What are the other 12 achived in one of those 2 ways?

Edited by TitoPuente, 25 March 2012 - 14:30.

#19 Smile17

Smile17

• 1,153 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 14:31

The answer is who knows? Most of the people on here, have never ever seen Senna race. I hope the mods close this thread, if only for the ridiculous comments it seems to provoke.

Advertisement

#20 Cesc

Cesc

• 1,204 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 14:33

This is a dangerous topic to open in this forum.

#21 TitoPuente

TitoPuente

• 122 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 14:36

The answer is who knows? Most of the people on here, have never ever seen Senna race. I hope the mods close this thread, if only for the ridiculous comments it seems to provoke.

I've seen the whole of Senna's F1 career and I can assure you that it's quite possible to have a negative opinion about him. For me, he represents many dubious qualities and negatice changes in the sport, as well as for me unacceptable fanaticism and religious beliefs.

Alonso has all the potential to become a real all time great. Senna holds such a status, so be it.

Edited by TitoPuente, 25 March 2012 - 14:37.

#22 PoleMan

PoleMan

• 1,563 posts

Well, I must admit that Alonso is not one of my favourite drivers, but I do not hate him (like half of Autosport members) and I see the huge driver he is. He won two championships without a winner car, that Renault was very fast, but McLaren 2005 and Ferrari 2006 were competitives in the same way that Renault was. In 2007 Lewis taught him some things, but some movements of McLaren were suspicious and I think they support was almost 100% in Hamilton. Renault 2008 and 2009 had a terrible car, and yet he won some races.

Now in Ferrari he is almost God. The best driving of his career, a well-deserved tittle in 2010 flew because of the team (with the 3rd car, and fighting against a rocket like Red Bull). And today this amazing skill show. Massa, with the same bad car, has 0 points, Alonso 35. This forums used to have some class, and we have to see Alonso is a legend. Perez did it superb today, but I think they are overrating his work on Malasya only to underestimate Alonso's.

From my point of view, I haven't seen such a talent since Ayrton. Schumacher was good, but he was dirty many times and that Ferrari was a rocket. I really think that Alonso not only is the best actual driver so far, but he is one of the bests of all time. What do you think?

Fair comments and certainly not an unreasonable view. I think time will tell, but he certainly is "Special", even among the Very Special current F1 Pilots.

Completely agree with your class comment, tho. Some posters just can't bring themselves to acknowledge Alonso's driving brilliance today, even while laughing at the car and Ferrari's current midfield status.

IT SIMPLY DRIVES THEM MAD THAT FERNANDO IS ACTUALLY LEADING THE CHAMPIONSHIP IN THAT CAR!!! :rotfl:

#23 mursuka80

mursuka80

• 5,106 posts

Fisichella beat Button
Button beat Hamilton
Hamilton beat Alonso
Alonso beat Fisichella.

Do you see where im going with this?

#24 Starlight

Starlight

• 183 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 14:41

Christian Horner? :wave:

:up:

#25 TitoPuente

TitoPuente

• 122 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 14:42

IT SIMPLY DRIVES THEM MAD THAT FERNANDO IS ACTUALLY LEADING THE CHAMPIONSHIP IN THAT CAR!!! :rotfl:

And that's something really incredible!

I know it wouldn't last but it's a great feeling!

#26 TonyAlmeida

TonyAlmeida

• 13 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 14:47

At the end of the race i hoped to hear Alonso saying "He felt like Senna in 91". Too bad he didn't. I suppose you need a rocket to feel like him then.

#27 j00j

j00j

• 30 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 14:48

What an insult to Ayrton. Alonso couldn't even beat a rookie teammate in 2007. Half his wins have come because of his team either implementing team orders (e.g. Germany) or cheating (e.g. Singapore) He just can't deal with his teammate having equal status in the team. In this respect he is EVEN WORSE than Michael.

Ask Ron Dennis for that...

#28 Mclaren4ever

Mclaren4ever

• 341 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 14:48

let me think about.......... NO!

first race since hungary 06, that´s 6 year´s ago btw. where he actually showed something special in the wet. Rather mediocre for a "super" talent.

Edited by Mclaren4ever, 25 March 2012 - 14:48.

#29 ferrarijon123

ferrarijon123

• 851 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 14:50

let me think about.......... NO!

first race since hungary 06, that´s 6 year´s ago btw. where he actually showed something special in the wet. Rather mediocre for a "super" talent.

What about Nurburgring 2007, Korea 2010 and Silverstone 2011 (I know most of it was dry).

#30 mlsnoopy

mlsnoopy

• 2,356 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 14:52

Wasn't Perez better today?

#31 mursuka80

mursuka80

• 5,106 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 14:54

He didnt win, so no.

#32 Mclaren4ever

Mclaren4ever

• 341 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 14:59

What about Nurburgring 2007, Korea 2010 and Silverstone 2011 (I know most of it was dry).

I´ll add Silverstone if you like, Korea was a gifted win and the Ferrari was hardly a pig at the end of 2010, 07 he was up against Massa(!), in the wet(!), nuff said.
Too little for a time period of 6-7 year´s. Other driver show as much good wet performance during 1-2 seasons.

Edited by Mclaren4ever, 25 March 2012 - 14:59.

#33 TitoPuente

TitoPuente

• 122 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 15:00

I´ll add Silverstone if you like, Korea was a gifted win and the Ferrari was hardly a pig at the end of 2010, 07 he was up against Massa(!), in the wet(!), nuff said.
Too little for a time period of 6-7 year´s. Other driver show as much good wet performance during 1-2 seasons.

And who did better?

#34 zyphro

zyphro

• 742 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 15:02

Fisichella beat Button
Button beat Hamilton
Hamilton beat Alonso
Alonso beat Fisichella.

Do you see where im going with this?

Did you miss a key word? "PRIME".

#35 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 47,055 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 15:03

Taking "you're only as good as your last race" a bit far here. Alonso drove superbly to win on a day when conditions clearly suited the Ferrari. Clearly a top drawer drive, but let's keep things in perspective.

#36 zyphro

zyphro

• 742 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 15:04

And that tie on points defines all his earlier and later career?

What? I wasn't even referring to his earlier career: But that will be used to compare his later career, of course it will. He came off the back of back-to-back titles and lost to a rookie. You tell me?

#37 kar

kar

• 10,434 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 15:05

I'm glad he's a Ferrari driver.

Fernando is no Senna, he's a Prost. And I can't pay a much higher compliment than that.

#38 Skellen

Skellen

• 513 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 15:08

Wasn't Sauber better car?

#39 TitoPuente

TitoPuente

• 122 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 15:08

What? I wasn't even referring to his earlier career: But that will be used to compare his later career, of course it will. He came off the back of back-to-back titles and lost to a rookie. You tell me?

And that rookie immediately won the WDC next year, beating 2 drivers in a superior car.
So what? 2007 is completely irrelevant, yet the fact is that Fernando finished the season 1 point behind the WDC driver, despite driving a lesser car in a hostile team.

Only the haters like you will permanently clinch to the 2007 season. Of course, as there's nothing else to clinch to. Anyone but haters would in fact use 2007 as the proof of Alonso's greatness. Most of the other drivers would completely break down in such a situation.

Advertisement

#40 ayali

ayali

• 729 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 15:09

Most talented since Schumacher I'd say, beat the great man in a direct encounter too
Showed the world today he's still class of the field
Magico Alonso

:cool:

#41 TonyAlmeida

TonyAlmeida

• 13 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 15:11

It is obvious that Senna was kind of overrated because of his death, but I suppose that he would win a votation looking for the best F1 all-time driver, so I choose him to compare with Alonso. But of course Prost was pure class. And without some dirty tricks that Senna had.

#42 Skellen

Skellen

• 513 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 15:14

You asked for "something special in the wet". Didnt you get your answers? And whats this have to the fact what car he had at the end of 2010 (which still wasnt by any means the fastest car). And point me out races of those particular drivers who you think are better than Alonso.

#43 noikeee

noikeee

• 23,265 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 15:15

I'd say Schumacher's quite clearly the best driver since Ayrton, as much I dislike him all those records can't possibly lie, but other than that Alonso's probably the best yes. Vettel probably reached the same level or even better last season, but has not proved himself for nearly a decade as Alonso has been doing. Hamilton's worth a mention too of course given his team-mate record with Alonso, but he's not developed the same way you'd expect after that superb rookie season. Hakkinen was superb for about 3 seasons too; Raikkonen, JV were top drivers for a while but not convincing throughout the whole career; Button has become a great late bloomer but took many many years to reach this level. Basically other than Schumacher no driver since Ayrton has lasted at the top as long as Fred.

#44 ferrarijon123

ferrarijon123

• 851 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 15:16

I'll add Australia 2010 to that list. Last to 4th and he could've won if he hadnt of got stuck behind Massa.

#45 MikeTekRacing

MikeTekRacing

• 12,531 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 15:17

From my point of view, I haven't seen such a talent since Ayrton. Schumacher was good, but he was dirty many times and that Ferrari was a rocket

let me guess, you missed the 1996-2002 seasons?

#46 Mr.Wayne

Mr.Wayne

• 583 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 15:20

Then I wonder what should we think of Perez... :rolleyes:

The cars are VERY close this year... So close that a couple of tenths make a car go from fighting for the lead to struggling for mid-field points.

It was a great race for Alonso, but it was not in a dog of a car. It was on the second best car this weekend, but with the best strategy. The best car for the race was the Sauber Ferrari, although their strategy was... embarrassing, to say the least.

#47 ferrarijon123

ferrarijon123

• 851 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 15:22

Then I wonder what should we think of Perez... :rolleyes:

The cars are VERY close this year... So close that a couple of tenths make a car go from fighting for the lead to struggling for mid-field points.

It was a great race for Alonso, but it was not in a dog of a car. It was on the second best car this weekend, but with the best strategy. The best car for the race was the Sauber Ferrari, although their strategy was... embarrassing, to say the least.

Second best car today? Possibly. Over the whole weekend? No chance.

#48 Mr.Wayne

Mr.Wayne

• 583 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 15:23

Second best car today? Possibly. Over the whole weekend? No chance.

My bad... only today. You are right. Second best car (after the Sauber Ferrari) on race day. I forgot they lost all the points that are awarded Friday and Saturday...

#49 Skellen

Skellen

• 513 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 15:25

My bad... only today. You are right. Second best car (after the Sauber Ferrari) on race day. I forgot they lost all the points that are awarded Friday and Saturday...

It means not fast in qualy...

#50 ferrarijon123

ferrarijon123

• 851 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 15:26

It means not fast in qualy...

Exactly...