Photo

Could Heidfeld profit from Massa's demise?

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#1 holiday

holiday

• 3,473 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 13:17

According to this source Heidfeld may profit from Massa's demise, either by replacing Massa himself or Perez who is rumoured to switch to Ferrari during the season.

Heidfeld's long-standing link to Sauber is clear, he beat Kimi and Massa there, but I would love to see him racing along Alonso. He shares the same strengths, namely consistency, wet-weather capabilities and a profound technical understanding, and thus could keep Alonso honest. Can't see him doing worse than Massa or any of the other candidates for Ferrari's second cockpit.

Advertisement

#2 Burtros

Burtros

• 3,309 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 13:21

According to this source Heidfeld may profit from Massa's demise, either by replacing Massa himself or Perez who is rumoured to switch to Ferrari during the season.

Heidfeld's long-standing link to Sauber is clear, he beat Kimi and Massa there, but I would love to see him racing along Alonso. He shares the same strengths, namely consistency, wet-weather capabilities and a profound technical understanding, and thus could keep Alonso honest. Can't see him doing worse than Massa or any of the other candidates for Ferrari's second cockpit.

Would be one of the better choices, although his time has perhaps gone. Unless they could get someone like Alguersari - Sauber do like young blood these days it seems.

I dont get the Heidfeld hate, he always seemed to do well against team mates and the jibe about never winning a race, well in all the time he was in F1 he only ever had one team mate win one race. And theres an argument he should have won that race himself!

Edited by Burtros, 28 March 2012 - 13:22.

#3 saudoso

saudoso

• 6,776 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 13:23

If that happens, why would a team hire a driver fired midseason to replace another?

No NH stands no chance at all.

#4 SonnyViceR

SonnyViceR

• 1,993 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 13:23

I think he should finally, finally give up on F1 and concentrate on WEC with Rebellion, many good years to come yet

Edited by SonnyViceR, 28 March 2012 - 13:24.

#5 saudoso

saudoso

• 6,776 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 13:24

BTW, there is already a thread dealing with this.

#6 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,741 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 13:25

Sutil's been putting himself about, too. And unlike Heidfeld he's got some money behind him, which Sauber need.

Surely if Perez leaves, Sauber can put Gutierrez in the seat to keep the Telmex connection, though? Presumably Kobayashi will stay for 2013, so any midseason replacement doesn't have a very good chance of continuing into the next year.

As to the thread title, it's also worth pointing out that Felipe Massa isn't actually dead.

Edited by Risil, 28 March 2012 - 13:27.

#7 Red17

Red17

• 3,921 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 13:29

I think Heidfeld pretty much ended his chances by being only a tad better than Petrov. I dont mean that Petrov is bad, but Heidfeld clearly had more experience and speed, so he disapointed.
This idea also requires that Ferrari has a mental breakdown and simply decides to rush up something that for the looks of it will happen anyway at the end of the season.
But it's still too soon. Malaysia was more of a weather play than real form and Massa may still overturn his luck.

#8 holiday

holiday

• 3,473 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 13:30

If that happens, why would a team hire a driver fired midseason to replace another?

Because this driver had mid-season already accumulated nearly as much points as his team-mate at the end of the season? Even in a comparatively poor season, Heidfeld could deliver and that's what Ferari needs: two regularly scoring pilots who could develop a car.

#9 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 13:33

I don't think, Ferrari can afford longer Massa to not deliver. So, different options are open I guess.

#10 alframsey

alframsey

• 5,037 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 13:35

Heidfeld would not keep Alonso honest, he barely kept Petrov honest...

#11 Slowinfastout

Slowinfastout

• 9,681 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 13:38

Heidfeld would not keep Alonso honest, he barely kept Petrov honest...

Petrov kept Alonso honest in one memorable race.. :p

I think Heidfeld is underrated as always... people are at a lost to explain how he bags that much points, but in the end he does have a record of bagging points consistently.

Edited by Slowinfastout, 28 March 2012 - 13:40.

#12 seahawk

seahawk

• 3,132 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 13:41

Apart from his criminal conviction Sutil would be a better solution. But Alguersuari would be the best option.

#13 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 13:41

Sauber won't be judging Heidfeld based on what he did at Renault but his history at the team in 2001-2002, 2006-2009, and his substitute role in 2010. They know what he can and can't do.

#14 metz

metz

• 15,871 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 13:45

Boullier has admitted that NH was let go simply because they needed to make a change. Any change, to revitalize the team.
It was certainly not his performance. He beat his teamate every single race where he finished without incident, and scored points in each of these.
It's ironic how Renault treated Heidfeld for no reason at all, compared to how Massa is protected and supported at Ferrari.
I didn't know that Heidfeld has a good relationship with Ferrari, although it will not help much.
Sauber has once before brought in Heidfeld in mid season (2010) when they needed someone to show them the true pace of the car.
That actually worked out well as the team scored more points in the last 5 races than all races before.
One of the reasons was that Nick helped young Kobi with his setups, something he had been lacking before and since.

Having said all that, I believe it will be Sutil not Heidfeld that will gain the seat. NH's chances are very slim.

#15 Icicle

Icicle

• 547 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 13:46

Isn't it a bit like going from bad choice to worse?

#16 TudorMiron

TudorMiron

• 211 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 13:51

Sutil's been putting himself about, too. And unlike Heidfeld he's got some money behind him, which Sauber need.

Surely if Perez leaves, Sauber can put Gutierrez in the seat to keep the Telmex connection, though? Presumably Kobayashi will stay for 2013, so any midseason replacement doesn't have a very good chance of continuing into the next year.

As to the thread title, it's also worth pointing out that Felipe Massa isn't actually dead.

I would say that Petrov was consistently faster than NH - just look at their qualy results.

#17 metz

metz

• 15,871 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 13:53

I would say that Petrov was consistently faster than NH - just look at their qualy results.

They had different setups. Look at the race results.
And, during the races, when both finished without incident, NH had fastest laps in all but one race.

Edited by metz, 28 March 2012 - 13:59.

#18 MightyMoose

MightyMoose
  • RC Forum Host

• 1,188 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 13:53

Sauber has moved forward imo recently due to having 2 good quality young drivers, it would be an amazingly retrograde step to dump Heidfeld into the car, and that's based upon the assumption that Ferrari bins Massa and puts Perez in.

Which to my mind is far from a given, seeing as how the mid-season driver switch has a lot more negatives to it than previously. See Badoer/Fisichella as obvious examples.

Speaking of Fisichella, isn't he still at Ferrari?...If so, perhaps he'd be the best option and Perez joins for 2013......

Heidfeld & his fan(s) should accept he's done in F1.

#19 metz

metz

• 15,871 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 14:04

Heidfeld & his fan(s) should accept he's done in F1.

He's done in F1.
But then, we said that after BMW in 2009, and after Sauber in 2010, and after Renault in 2011.
Somehow, team principals keep thinking otherwise.

Advertisement

#20 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 14:05

Petrov isn't driving anything other than a Caterham this year. So whether he's better than Heidfeld is not of primary relevance.

#21 engel

engel

• 5,037 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 14:08

I doubt it. Alguersuari or Buemi would be more likely candidates if an F1 seat opens midseason

#22 jals99

jals99

• 1,062 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 14:16

Jarno was already in talks with Sauber in late 2009, so if he wont get Ferrari drive, he may get Sauber. Peter Sauber rates him high

#23 cheapracer

cheapracer

• 10,388 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 14:41

I can't understand this adoration for Hiedfeld, other losers like Alesi who also had as much adoration at least was spectacular to watch but Hiedfeld was boring while he was result'less.

#24 cheapracer

cheapracer

• 10,388 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 14:44

He's done in F1.

Somehow, team principals keep thinking otherwise.

It's only the stupidity of the testing rules that offer a chance for an experienced driver to get a seat at all.

Kubica will wear red in 2013 I think.

#25 One

One

• 6,527 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 14:46

Ferrar has Fisichella also,... Jaim is more likely, but Massa will be back soon.... Nick..? No way Jose, I feel...

#26 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 15:02

Yeah, because Fishcella's ready to drive an F1 car.

#27 Bloggsworth

Bloggsworth

• 9,397 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 15:14

What a stupid question - If Heidfeld were the only car in the race he wouldn't win it. Love the bloke, but he is not a winner in an F1 car.

#28 Szoelloe

Szoelloe

• 7,054 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 15:21

Heidfeld is over and done with.

#29 metz

metz

• 15,871 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 15:24

I dont get the Heidfeld hate, he always seemed to do well against team mates

Your question contains the answer.
Just mention that he beat Alesi, Kimi, Massa, Webber, Kubica and it's like a granade went off.

#30 metz

metz

• 15,871 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 15:27

What a stupid question - If Heidfeld were the only car in the race he wouldn't win it. Love the bloke, but he is not a winner in an F1 car.

What a stupid response about a guy that gets 12 podiums and never drove a top car.

#31 Gilles4Ever

Gilles4Ever
  • RC Forum Admin

• 24,873 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 15:33

This is not a Nick Heidfeld thread.

The topic is "Could Heidfeld profit from Massa's demise?" keep to it.

#32 MortenF1

MortenF1

• 23,746 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 15:42

Just mention that he beat Alesi, Kimi, Massa, Webber, Kubica and it's like a granade went off.

He racked up more points than a rookie RƤikkƶnen, but there was no doubt who the better of the two was.
Same at Williams; there was no doubt which was the better of the two - Webber.
Same again at BMW, even if they had their one convincing year each.

I doubt he's one of Sauber's main candidates, [should they give up Perez mid-season, which I strongly doubt they actually can, much less will.
Afterall he wasn't overly convincing in his half season for Renault.

#33 Trust

Trust

• 5,155 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 15:48

I'm impressed by Nick actually, he had beaten all of his teammates(except beating Kimi when he was rookie by a small margin, that's only time I'm not impressed). Replacing Massa with Nick would be huge upgrade to the Ferrari no doubt. They say it would be difficult to adapt, but I think he could prove them all wrong.

#34 iotar

iotar

• 2,153 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 16:02

I thought about Heidfeld when I read Webber and Schumacher explaining why they are performing better this season. They said cars feel more like regular racing machines in comparison to blown diffuser monsters from 2011. It might be one of reasons for the last season performance, Heidfeld being an old-timer like them. Maybe even emphasized by FEE?

One of the reasons and it's hard to say because:
1. It was the same for everybody
1. Schumacher didn't look particularly good in 2010 either
2. Rosberg might be under-performing and Mercedes is really good (in qualifying)

I doubt it's going to happen anyway. This article has no substance, just throws two names, the second Sutil, because they're German.

#35 DutchQuicksilver

DutchQuicksilver

• 6,332 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 16:08

I seriously doubt Nick Heidfeld would want to return to Sauber. He had two very good periods with them (2001-2003 and 2006-2009), but he was let go by Peter Sauber after 2010 in a not so pleasant way.

#36 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,741 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 16:21

I seriously doubt Nick Heidfeld would want to return to Sauber. He had two very good periods with them (2001-2003 and 2006-2009), but he was let go by Peter Sauber after 2010 in a not so pleasant way.

He was only on a temporary deal. And Sauber undoubtedly needed Perez's money.

#37 2ms

2ms

• 2,212 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 17:14

They would clearly get Trulli since Trulli beat Alonso.

Thus, Heidfeld is very unlikely to benefit from Massa doing so abysmally since his accident.

#38 KateLM

KateLM

• 2,342 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 17:29

I get the impression that Heidfeld has accepted that F1 is finished for him. Even if someone did want him as a stopgap driver again, he's never going to hold on to a full time ride so what's the point? Better to move on with dignity and get a full time seat in something else - which is what Nick has done in WEC.

I think Telmex would want GutiƩrrez to move up if Perez went to Ferrari midseason. Which I doubt will happen anyway.

#39 jbarokF1

jbarokF1

• 204 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 17:33

Heidfeld did not win any race...so why on earth should I get him? He's clearly not a winning driver..I would rather go for a younger driver with potential and improve. Heidfeld is past his prime. He can be a good choice for a lower-tier team who needs someone to develop the car rather than a team who is competing for race wins.

Advertisement

#40 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 17:36

Sauber is a lower tier team that needs someone to develop the car.

#41 Boing 2

Boing 2

• 4,794 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 17:49

Agree that Sutil would be a better option but probably bad PR. Barrichello would probably be a better bet than Massa right now to be honest, the guy looks like he's waiting for the hammer to fall.

Rosberg? fast, tidy, not too political and probably bit slower than Alonso in race trim.

#42 sesku

sesku

• 289 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 18:23

How about Trulli in Ferrari? He's Italian and not too bad, had very recent F1 experience.

#43 ryan86

ryan86

• 1,100 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 18:37

I've always got the impression though that Trulli needs a car he feels comfortable with to go quickly, if the car is in the slightest bit a handful he tends to fall off the pace pretty quickyl and with this Ferrari not the nicest to drive, would he be on the pace.

#44 spacekid

spacekid

• 3,143 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 18:39

I vote for Sutil over Heidfeld as well. There is a reason Heidfeld can't get a consistent drive, and he would feel a bit backward looking.

Rubens finished his F1 career much more strongly than Trulli, he wouldn't be a ridiculous choice, and has the advantage that he hasn't been convicted of stabbing anyone. Even though I was far from a Rubens fan, I'd like to see him say goodbye to his F1 career properly.

#45 sharo

sharo

• 1,792 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 18:43

Could Heidfeld profit from Massa's demise?

Hiedfeld could profit. The big question is whether Ferrari would profit from that...

#46 Fastcake

Fastcake

• 12,551 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 18:45

No, Heidfeld is finally out of here. There's not anything in it for him now he has a permanent drive in sportscars, why would he want a temporary seat in a midfield F1 team?

#47 Sanman59

Sanman59

• 268 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 12:35

No, Heidfeld is finally out of here. There's not anything in it for him now he has a permanent drive in sportscars, why would he want a temporary seat in a midfield F1 team?

A straight swop with Massa to Sauber seems more likely. They have good history.

:smoking:

#48 holiday

holiday

• 3,473 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 12:59

Agree that Sutil would be a better option but probably bad PR.

His manager says he is currently in negotiations with no-one. Not so sure if the same could be said of Heidi's manager.

#49 Boing 2

Boing 2

• 4,794 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 13:54

A straight swop with Massa to Sauber seems more likely. They have good history.

:smoking:

Actually, a couple of years back in a friendly team environment might be just what Massa needs to get his mojo back, assuming it isn't injury related.

#50 MGKrebs

MGKrebs

• 55 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 14:06

Massa had some good years before his accident.
When Schumi struggles many are willing to give him the benefit and say the car doesn't suit him, and that it takes time to "come back". Isn't Massa in the same boat? We need to see if he can get his nerve back and then hope that the car suits him too.