Photo

Bill Stone RIP

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Michael Clark

Michael Clark

• 286 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 05:22

He was there at the start of March, Reynard and BAR - he raced Coopers and a Brabham in NZ before heading off to seek his fortune in Europe in 1968.

A McLaren M4A in F3 form wasn't his best move (that came when he married Susanne Mallock) but the BT21 showed his promise behind the wheel.

Sadly Bill has gone - his struggle to beat the dreaded cancer ended this morning peacefully. He hung on a lot lot longer than the medics had predicted - he remained 'Mr Positive' throughout the ordeal - always firm of handshake and unwavering in his optimism.

Bill rebuilt a Mallock Mk6B and raced it hard it historic races here. In January 2011 he drove a Formula Ford at the Chris Amon Festival - he last raced a FF in 1970, a March 708 he'd modified so much it was nicknamed 'Starch'.

His great buddy Martin Lucas offered Bill his Lotus 69. I was unable to compete because my Crossle had a problem - but it was worth not being out there just to watch Bill. It rained..and rained and rained. Bill was a fair way down the grid but as the race went on and rain got harder, the magic came out. He was over 70 and fighting cancer yet he just picked off car after car. When it was over, Bill - with the #24 he'd raced with since the 60s, was second.

It was the drive of the meeting.

Godspeed my friend

Advertisement

#2 hiteknz

hiteknz

• 139 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 08:57

Interesting at the Pukekohe Car Club 50th Reunion which was help a few weeks ago ,Bill was there on the Friday night and over the weekend there was some old film footage playing and on there was Bill back in the days when he had the "big engined "Cooper FJ car racing at the Pukekohe Car Club Tuakau grass track meeting and also at a couple of gravel hill climbs with it ,back then he just put a couple of Town and Country tyres on the rear of it gave it his best shot and got on with the job, he was that sort of guy

#3 Alfie

Alfie

• 106 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 09:07

Very sad to hear this about a man who I always considered a friend.

No airs and graces, no "attitude" to people.

He gave far more to this sport than he took, so RIP Bill.

#4 JacnGille

JacnGille

• 2,811 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 12:55

Sad news

#5 Gatmo

Gatmo

• 270 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 22:36

He was involved with Jason Plato in Formula Renault in the UK in 1990 running as Cuda Motorsport. I'm sure he raced an amazingly rapid Morris Minor too?

Sad news, rest in peace Bill.

#6 Michael Clark

Michael Clark

• 286 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 00:18

He was involved with Jason Plato in Formula Renault in the UK in 1990 running as Cuda Motorsport. I'm sure he raced an amazingly rapid Morris Minor too?

Sad news, rest in peace Bill.

Bill had a fund of great stories - those relating to the Morrie Minor were among the best.

#7 TEJ

TEJ

• 85 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 03:29

Bill was my friend. I didn't see him often as we lived a half a world apart.
I will miss him

Tom Johnston
Vancouver

#8 kevinbartlett

kevinbartlett

• 155 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 04:37

I am saddened to here this news of Bill, he shared the experience of both Mallock and Morris Minors with me. We last had dinner with him and Susanne when he raced his Mallock at Taupo.

#9 Vicuna

Vicuna

• 1,607 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 11:18

I am saddened to here this news of Bill, he shared the experience of both Mallock and Morris Minors with me. We last had dinner with him and Susanne when he raced his Mallock at Taupo.

Kevin - I well recall you at the Taupo Mallock 'do' that Bill was central to.

The service today went very well with many guys present who you will well remember - including David Oxton, Jim Palmer, Dennis Marwood, Graeme Larence, Jim Murdoch, Ken Smith - and especially dear old Roly who is good form and looking sharp. These guys all formed a guard of honour with race flags between the church and the hearse - very, very touching.

Susanne had put together numerous little personal touches throughout the ceremony that made it all a very special occassion.

#10 D.M.N.

D.M.N.
  • RC Forum Host

• 7,491 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 17:43

Autosport have an article up profiling his career: http://www.autosport...rt.php/id/98778

#11 Vicuna

Vicuna

• 1,607 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 19:16

Autosport have an article up profiling his career: http://www.autosport...rt.php/id/98778

Also a tribute on the NZ Classic Car website

#12 ReWind

ReWind

• 3,404 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 07:16

The link: New Zealand ClassicCar magazine

#13 layabout

layabout

• 176 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 04:19

Two nice photos of Bill Stone in his Lotus 61 at Hampton Downs at the 2011 Chris Amon Festival being belted in by Malcolm Oastler. Photos are courtesy of Howden Ganley:

Posted Image

Posted Image

#14 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 08:39

From earlier days - one of Bill's first appearances in his Brabham BT6, Ruapuna November 1966

Posted Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us