Photo

Ralf Pickel

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 Sharman

Sharman

• 5,284 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 21:09

I've just had news that Ralf, who is a frequent contributer here, was involved in a big shunt at the Ring on dropped oil. Two broken legs plus other injuries, prognosis is good and the whole adds up to a minimum 6 weeks in hospital.
I know all here will wish him a speedy recovery

Advertisement

#2 Tuboscocca

Tuboscocca

• 1,324 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 21:22

I've just had news that Ralf, who is a frequent contributer here, was involved in a big shunt at the Ring on dropped oil. Two broken legs plus other injuries, prognosis is good and the whole adds up to a minimum 6 weeks in hospital.
I know all here will wish him a speedy recovery

GUTE BESSERUNG Ralf!!

Michael

#3 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 21:42

Best wishes, Ralf

Show them their six-week estimate is pessimistic :up:

#4 LittleChris

LittleChris

• 3,729 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 22:46

All the best Ralf. Hope you're up and about soon

#5 kayemod

kayemod

• 9,588 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 23:04

Best wishes, Ralf

Show them their six-week estimate is pessimistic :up:

I hope you're right of course, but in my own case "two broken legs and other injuries" are still a painful memory, though admittedly from quite a long time ago. In my own case it was six months before they even let me out on crutches, so from all of us "Eine Karte mit Genesungswünschen", and I hope your injuries are nowhere near the top end of the scale.

#6 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 6,709 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 23:16

:eek:

Gute Besserung Ralf ! :wave:

#7 E1pix

E1pix

• 23,466 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 23:22

Wow, we all know this can happen while we race... but never quite expect it to.

Get Better, Ralf! :up: :up:

#8 Jack-the-Lad

Jack-the-Lad

• 2,466 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 23:26

Ralf,

My best wishes for a fast and full recovery!

Jack

:wave:

#9 JacnGille

JacnGille

• 2,812 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 00:48

Get well soon!

#10 fuzzi

fuzzi

• 583 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 05:27

Best wishes Ralf.

Hope you are soon up and driving again.

#11 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,605 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 05:49

Very sorry to hear this. All best wishes for a speedy recovery, Ralf.

#12 Catalina Park

Catalina Park

• 6,776 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 06:10

Hope you make a speedy recovery and that you will up on your feet again real soon.

#13 John Ginger

John Ginger

• 224 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 09:32

Sorry to hear this, best wishes for a full and speedy recovery from me too

#14 bill p

bill p

• 697 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 09:58

Best Wishes, Ralf, for a speedy recovery

Bill

#15 scags

scags

• 405 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 11:25

All the best, Ralf!

#16 Allan Lupton

Allan Lupton

• 4,052 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 13:11

Yes best wishes from me as well.
I hope that when you're well enough to use the computer that we (here and elsewhere) will keep you amused - and contributing of course. :)

#17 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 8,397 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 13:19

Very best wishes for a speedy return to full fitness, Ralf.
I see that you logged in here yesterday at 14.16 local time, which is good news :up:

#18 RacingCompagniet

RacingCompagniet

• 203 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 13:51

This is the FJHRA bulletin concerning Ralf's unfortunate accident (at Hockenheim):

New to FJ, Ralf Pickel was taking part in the “Race History on Track” demonstration on Friday in his recently acquired ex-Richard Smeeton Lotus 20, when he hit a lake of oil deposited from a blown up old F1 car, and was left with nowhere to go other than into the back of the Circuit van which had already got on the Circuit to retrieve the errant F1, and had stopped dead on the side of the track. This was a huge accident leaving him with 2 broken legs, a fractured left ankle and problems in his right knee meaning he will be spending some six weeks in hospital. He is however in very good hands and spirits, and his girlfriend Danny, who herself races an Austin 7, managed to retrieve the badly damaged 20.

#19 Jack-the-Lad

Jack-the-Lad

• 2,466 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 16:38

This is the FJHRA bulletin concerning Ralf's unfortunate accident (at Hockenheim):

New to FJ, Ralf Pickel was taking part in the “Race History on Track” demonstration on Friday in his recently acquired ex-Richard Smeeton Lotus 20, when he hit a lake of oil deposited from a blown up old F1 car, and was left with nowhere to go other than into the back of the Circuit van which had already got on the Circuit to retrieve the errant F1, and had stopped dead on the side of the track. This was a huge accident leaving him with 2 broken legs, a fractured left ankle and problems in his right knee meaning he will be spending some six weeks in hospital. He is however in very good hands and spirits, and his girlfriend Danny, who herself races an Austin 7, managed to retrieve the badly damaged 20.

That is a truly nasty accident. Ralf may well be fortunate not to have fared much worse. Were there no warning flags for the oil and emergency vehicle? If not, it is a shameful lack of safety organization.

Jack

Advertisement

#20 Tuboscocca

Tuboscocca

• 1,324 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 16:47

[quote name='Jack-the-Lad' date='Apr 20 2012, 18:38' post='5673563']
That is a truly nasty accident. Ralf may well be fortunate not to have fared much worse. Were there no warning flags for the oil and emergency vehicle? If not, it is a shameful lack of safety organization.

Jack

I think it was more of a parade (demonstration) of different categories---which is even more tragical..

hence no flags..

Michael

#21 Tuboscocca

Tuboscocca

• 1,324 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 16:59

RHOT is a assembly of owners who intend to show their cars and to show the public the big variety of racing cars..
http://www.racehistoryontrack.de/

Only German I 'm afraid..
But there is members list and the owned cars too...

Best regards Michael

#22 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,863 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 19:12

Jack

I think it was more of a parade (demonstration) of different categories---which is even more tragical..

hence no flags..

Michael

I have to agree with Jack here.

Perhaps Britain is over-regulated with H&S but I don't think an event like that could be run here without trained MSA marshals?

Anyway, that's probably a discussion for another thread - or even in another place, given the large number of marshals who frequent 10/10ths.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery, Ralf.

#23 Tuboscocca

Tuboscocca

• 1,324 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 19:43

hence no flags..

Michael

I have to agree with Jack here.

Perhaps Britain is over-regulated with H&S but I don't think an event like that could be run here without trained MSA marshals?

Anyway, that's probably a discussion for another thread - or even in another place, given the large number of marshals who frequent 10/10ths.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery, Ralf.

Vitesse, it was only my guesswork.

The races (historics too) , in Germany , are of course professionally marshalled....Maybe this parade wasn't seen so serious , as it was more a demo-run...

But I was NOT there..

Regards Michael

#24 Bjorn Kjer

Bjorn Kjer

• 3,682 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 19:58

Alles gute Ralf !

#25 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 11,534 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 20:10

Late starter here - have only just read this sad news. Best wishes for a speedy and full recovery Ralf.

DCN

#26 Ralf Pickel

Ralf Pickel

• 622 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 22:31

Dear fellow TNFers - thank you al very much for your wishes. They do help a lot and do keep my already high spirit up.
I had ig surgery today on my left leg, which should be now on it´s way t of o a good recovery. Right follows on Tuesday.
am crrently working on the pitstop strategy - so will keep them here well busy !

The event was very well organised - a perfect first help and quick transport to medical center and then via helicopter to BGU Ludwigshafen, which a center of very experienced poeple.
Of course, it´s the chosen facility for the Hockenheim GP.

The accident was very unfortunate, it was b....dy slippery - there where yellow flags, but seemingly no oil flags after an engine blowup.

Getting sleepy again, but will be back here !

Cheers,
Ralf

#27 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 6,709 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 22:35

Great to hear you are in good spirits Ralf :up:

#28 Jack-the-Lad

Jack-the-Lad

• 2,466 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 23:14

Great to hear you are in good spirits Ralf :up:

Same here!

:clap:

#29 D-Type

D-Type

• 9,704 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 23:27

Nice to see a reply from you, Ralf. Hope you're back on your feet in good time.

#30 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,605 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 09:24

Ralf, it's good to see you back here posting on other threads. How are things going with you?

#31 Arjan de Roos

Arjan de Roos

• 2,583 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 09:52

I have mixed emotion by wishing German friends Hals und Beinbruch, when its supposed to bring luck. Ralf, gut dass du wieder on-line bist!

Edited by Arjan de Roos, 29 May 2012 - 09:54.

#32 Sharman

Sharman

• 5,284 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 10:03

I have mixed emotion by wishing German friends Hals und Beinbruch, when its supposed to bring luck. Ralf, gut dass du wieder on-line bist!

In italian i believe it's "In bocca di lupo", and the English just say "break a leg"

#33 Ralf Pickel

Ralf Pickel

• 622 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 11:58

Hi friends and thank you for the wishes, everything is appreciated !
Actually I was only offline for a few days ! I ´ve been more reading than writing at the moment...
It´s going well - I am stillstuck to a wheelchair, but hopefully can start walking next week. Will be on crutches for a while, because I did a thorough job on the right knee, but it will all be fine. Just takes time and patience (the VERY hard part...).

Cheers,
Ralf

PS By the way - I did beat the 6 week (see first posts above) in hospital prognosis - I was back home after 4 ! :)

Edited by Ralf Pickel, 29 May 2012 - 12:07.

#34 kayemod

kayemod

• 9,588 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 12:06

Hals und Beinbruch, when its supposed to bring luck.

The literal translation is "neck and leg break", which is rather worse than what Ralf suffered.

#35 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 6,709 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 14:15

PS By the way - I did beat the 6 week (see first posts above) in hospital prognosis - I was back home after 4 ! :)

Great to hear you are beating the clock in your recovery, hope this rate of progress continues :clap:

#36 Ralf Pickel

Ralf Pickel

• 622 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 14:48

I am trying, Ralph !! :wave: :)