Photo

Rosberg "F1 is a complete different sport this days"

• Please log in to reply
1346 replies to this topic

#1 skyform

skyform

• 426 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 14:17

Both Rosberg and Schumacher were interviewed by the german TV about the tyres after the Bahrain GP and Schumacher was not happy, he was very frustrated. He said it's not fun to drive with tyres like this and Lauda said he understands him because it's not fun for any driver to drive slow just because of the tyres.

Rosberg also said that it's simply not possible to drive on the limit at any time, they have to nurse the tyres since the start of the race. He said F1 it's a complete different sport this days.

I post this because some people are still saying that drivers are still pushing 100% until the tyres don't start to wear off but well now it's confirmed by Schumacher and Rosberg that they don't drive on limit at any time of the race, sometimes they drive only at 60-70%

Advertisement

#2 Mclaren4ever

Mclaren4ever

• 341 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 14:21

that´s not proper F1 anymore. It seems sometimes it´s just pure luck if you get those tyres working or not - ridiculous

#3 TheBunk

TheBunk

• 4,083 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 14:23

Both Rosberg and Schumacher were interviewed by the german TV about the tyres after the Bahrain GP and Schumacher was not happy, he was very frustrated. He said it's not fun to drive with tyres like this and Lauda said he understands him because it's not fun for any driver to drive slow just because of the tyres.

Rosberg also said that it's simply not possible to drive on the limit at any time, they have to nurse the tyres since the start of the race. He said F1 it's a complete different sport this days.

I post this because some people are still saying that drivers are still pushing 100% until the tyres don't start to wear off but well now it's confirmed by Schumacher and Rosberg that they don't drive on limit at any time of the race, sometimes they drive only at 60-70%

Vettel, raikonen and grosjean seemed to race pretty good.

#4 TomNokoe

TomNokoe

• 33,682 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 14:24

It is really is a joke. Refuelling was a lot better in my eyes also.

#5 Baddoer

Baddoer

• 3,528 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 14:25

TYRES TYRES TYRES WHATEVER
just dump Pirelli and put some second hand rubber from junkyard

#6 TomNokoe

TomNokoe

• 33,682 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 14:25

The fastest race laps are 4secs off pole

#7 Crafty

Crafty

• 4,151 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 14:26

Maybe when driving the Merc they have to, I don't think other teams have this problem, at least not to the same extent that Merc do.

#8 BigCHrome

BigCHrome

• 4,049 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 14:27

Yeah, these tires are total crap. We haven't seen anyone pushing hard in a race since 2010.

#9 jjcale

jjcale

• 16,192 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 14:27

Macca startered slowing down their car (in terms of one lap pace) in order to try to be kinder on the tyres from the very start of the GP weekend... this is a shambles.

I'd love for someone like LH to lose his rag in public and have a go at Pirelli for these rubbish tyres

#10 Diablobb81

Diablobb81

• 8,750 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 14:28

Maybe when driving the Merc they have to, I don't think other teams have this problem, at least not to the same extent that Merc do.

Of course they do. Except that it randomly hits them. Hence lottery. Just look at comments from different drivers in the last 4 races.

#11 PoliFanAthic

PoliFanAthic

• 785 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 14:28

I think everyone's had their fair share of troubles with the tires. Mercedes, McLaren and Lotus some glaring ones, but Red Bull saw their competitiveness ebb and flow too.

Edited by PoliFanAthic, 22 April 2012 - 14:29.

#12 F1Champion

F1Champion

• 3,268 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 14:33

Tyres today are different to the past. Everyone says that drivers used to take care of the tyres and its a skill that is needed, but people forget that those were tyres in a tyre war, they weren't deliberately setup to degrade or be temperature peaky. You could push hard and take care of the tyres at the end of the stints, these tyres need too much care throughout the stint. This is too much like Wacky Races.

#13 KirilVarbanov

KirilVarbanov

• 866 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 14:34

The strategies are created around tires, so are the engine maps, and therefore the races. It's a bit of a gamble to setup the car right and get the rubber to work properly.
Sadly for Pirelli, Turkey is gone ... It would have been easy 5 pitstop show. But not racing, no.

#14 repeatoffender

repeatoffender

• 81 posts

Bring back Bridgestone!

#15 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

Yeah, Nico also last race. But ,it is still lottery. Will those three have the same good pace next race?

#16 SuperSoft

SuperSoft

• 348 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 14:35

And is that the F1 you want? A sport where each week you have no idea who is going to be competitive, where anyone can win? Where one week you might finish 12th and two minutes behind and the next week you thrash everyone on the track?

It might sound exciting, and it might look exciting to the morons who turn over from Celebrity Big Brother, but I am a bit fed up of it to be honest.

If I were running a multi-million pound racing team, with hundreds of staff and massive overheads I think I would be sitting there today wondering what the point is in making huge investments in my team and car. Might as well just buy a lottery ticket instead.

I can understand the drivers being frustrated.

Imagine the football world cup where nobody was allowed their own boots, they had to use FIFA supplied ones each game, and the twist was that some might fall apart before half time. It wouldn't keep fans for too long.

#17 superpalmen

superpalmen

• 18 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 14:36

Well they weren't complaining last week, just crybabys.

#18 Raziel

Raziel

• 2,375 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 14:38

Bring back Bridgestone!

X :|

FIA should beg them to come back in F1!

#19 BigCHrome

BigCHrome

• 4,049 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 14:38

The tires shouldn't be hard like 2010 Bridgestone but they should be robust enough to take at least 10-15 laps of hard punishment before losing grip.

Advertisement

#20 AlexS

AlexS

• 6,343 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 14:40

Why? Pirelli can make tires that last a race. Then all of you will start crying this is a procession, buah, buah!

#21 TheBunk

TheBunk

• 4,083 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 14:40

And is that the F1 you want? A sport where each week you have no idea who is going to be competitive, where anyone can win?

I thought Vettel winning each and every race in 2011 was so boring?

Is your team not winning each and every race and is that the reason you are upset?

These tyres are the same for everybody. Apparently some do a better job in making them work. Kudos to them I guess.

#22 skyform

skyform

• 426 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 14:44

And is that the F1 you want? A sport where each week you have no idea who is going to be competitive, where anyone can win? Where one week you might finish 12th and two minutes behind and the next week you thrash everyone on the track?

It might sound exciting, and it might look exciting to the morons who turn over from Celebrity Big Brother, but I am a bit fed up of it to be honest.

If I were running a multi-million pound racing team, with hundreds of staff and massive overheads I think I would be sitting there today wondering what the point is in making huge investments in my team and car. Might as well just buy a lottery ticket instead.

I can understand the drivers being frustrated.

Imagine the football world cup where nobody was allowed their own boots, they had to use FIFA supplied ones each game, and the twist was that some might fall apart before half time. It wouldn't keep fans for too long.

So true, i want the good old racing back where true speed of a driver matters and not just tyres and some stupid DRS. Drivers are like puppets this days, look what happened to Button today, who is highly praised for his tyre management and is even called the tyre whisperer by the german TV.

Edited by skyform, 22 April 2012 - 14:45.

#23 xAtarigeekx

xAtarigeekx

• 576 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 14:45

Umm, Pirelli have been asked to make tyres like this, do't blame them.

#24 fieraku

fieraku

• 5,304 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 14:45

Look at it this way.

With the real tires drivers pushed like hell and there were HUGE gaps in the field,now with these tires they want the drivers limp around saving them thus they'll be closer to e/o,since if you push like hell will be detrimental to the tires,meaning driver speed is tire limited,if we agree that all drivers aren't equally fast.

It will make for one hell of a show.

F1 is not a sport nowdays but a SHOW,I should have send the memo earlier to Nico.

It seems so for me at least. :cry:

http://www.autosport...rt.php/id/96479
Boring? Having 1500 meaningless passes is boring to me,drivers thinking Fri/Sat and Sun only about tires is boring to me.WTF has happened to F1? Why are we talking about tires,tires,tires,tires and more tires every race? I have watched F1 since 94 and I don't think I've heard the word tire this much even in the midst of the tire wars.

Degrade more?Like what?On the first lap?Bubble Gum isn't enough? We've already seen them go off in three or four laps,so in a 60 lap race the driver will spend 10 laps racing and 50 "looking after the tires"?

Crossover points? Nahhhhhhhhhh. Reallyyyyyyy? IT WON'T WORK :wave: After 2-3 races the teams will understand those tires as well and the top 10 will always be on the same strategy. The mid runners will slice&dice with strategies like they've always done.

I'm sorry but I'm not a WWE fan for a reason,is it exciting? hell yeah! ladders,chairs and all kinds of props to not make it boring,BUT it's fake!
Is MMA boring sometimes? hell yeah! but it's as real as it gets.

I love great defense as much as great offense,my highlights and personal favorites this year were Schu holding Ham behind for 25? laps and Ham holding Web for 35?

It is sad that the new era of PS3/X-Box fans are obsessed with meaningless fake racing.

#25 ivey

ivey

• 145 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 14:46

I thought Vettel winning each and every race in 2011 was so boring?

Is your team not winning each and every race and is that the reason you are upset?

These tyres are the same for everybody. Apparently some do a better job in making them work. Kudos to them I guess.

That's not the question, question is whether you can call it motor racing when you can't push during the race, because your tires will give up on you. I personally loved when they told on the radio "We need 10 qualifying laps from you" and the guys needed to push like hell

#26 muramasa

muramasa

• 8,479 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 14:46

The tires shouldn't be hard like 2010 Bridgestone but they should be robust enough to take at least 10-15 laps of hard punishment before losing grip.

that's exactly Bridgestone tyres were like. Last whole race if driver/team wanted to, allow 20laps quali run if they wanted to.
Proof; Kobayashi Valencia 2010, Kubica Singapore 2010, Webber Hungary 2010

#27 Diablobb81

Diablobb81

• 8,750 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 14:47

Apparently some do a better job in making them work.

Who? Since everyone complained at one point or another.

Edited by Diablobb81, 22 April 2012 - 14:47.

#28 iotar

iotar

• 2,153 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 14:49

They didn't complaint after China? There's a surprise. "We are on top of tyres problems" they said. How about shady f-duct DRS. No complains about it? Maybe instead of chasing semi-illegal FIA gifts they should have concentrated on tyres?
The amount of hypocrisy is monumental even for F1 standards.

Tyres are blown out of proportions artificial "problem" and excuse. We hear about it on one hand from nostalgia
driven fans who are never satisfied and always pretending that some golden age of F1 was always in somewhere in the past. On the other from teams when they're not performing well. When RB didn't win they talked about tyres, when Mercedes won they talked about the tyres. It's an engineering problem as any other in F1.

F1 is as artificial as it gets, we have engine freeze with less and more powerful units, we had KERS on wealthy cars and no KERS on the others, we had driver with his own tyres and a test track. No wonder F1 seemed different to Schumacher now. No one complained about "artificial" then?

Shut up Schumacher/Mercedes/Rosberg. Tyres ARE THE SAME FOR EVERYBODY. That's the difference.

#29 Massa_f1

Massa_f1

• 5,630 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 14:49

Only thing i dont like is it seems like it id pot luck as to weather the tyres will work for you during the race. How you suposed to get on top of the issue if its different every race.

#30 Dispenser89

Dispenser89

• 3,460 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 14:51

Umm, Pirelli have been asked to make tyres like this, do't blame them.

Yep.

Really don't like the tyres this year or this show that F1 has chosen atm.

#31 SPBHM

SPBHM

• 1,068 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 14:52

compared to the bridgestone days sure, but historically tires have always played a HUGE part on F1, different manufacturers, compounds, special drivers and teams getting best tires.... and some using better than others,

#32 sharo

sharo

• 1,792 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 14:53

Only the leader has some small benefit from these tyres because he can nurse them and put less stress.
Raikkonen in China and even more indicative in Bahrain is a clear example. Even the second placed man can't push a bit harder. After a few laps he is already risking his second position.

#33 muramasa

muramasa

• 8,479 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 14:53

I dont like current F1 tyre too (not Pirelli's fault).

Current racing is about, say, how not to fall into doodlebug pit, rather than pushing and going faster and faster.
That's frustrating and not so fun for me coz I prefer the latter.

of course conserving is and has been important part of racing, but it has exceeded border imo.

#34 Brandz07

Brandz07

• 3,500 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 14:54

would love to see the tyres reevaluated at the end of the year, it's doesn't feel right watching drivers not being able to push.

#35 spacekid

spacekid

• 3,143 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 14:54

It isn't just Mercedes though, other teams are finding that they can't push the way they would like to. And in F1 I want to see drivers pushing the cars as hard as they can, all the time.

#36 CaptnMark

CaptnMark

• 1,026 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 14:56

TYRES TYRES TYRES WHATEVER
just dump Pirelli and put some second hand rubber from junkyard

While I'd support them allowing only tyres you can buy at your local gas station on sunday afternoon, the current situation is has much better racing than the Bridgestone years. Until aerodynamics are severely restricted, I support inconsistent tyres for better racing.

#37 SuperSoft

SuperSoft

• 348 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 14:56

The teams are not making the tyres work for them at all, they are just turning up to the track and crossing their fingers.
This is not racing. This is not F1.

The tyres have always been a part of F1, of course they have. But they were only ever a small part. The cars, drivers, engines - these were the things that determined the races, whoever could get the right package developed and put a great driver in the seat would always be able to challenge.

Today the tyres look to be 99% of the package.

Personally I think it is getting boring, even if the racing looks to be more exciting, I am not as shallow as that.

#38 BigCHrome

BigCHrome

• 4,049 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 14:57

that's exactly Bridgestone tyres were like. Last whole race if driver/team wanted to, allow 20laps quali run if they wanted to.
Proof; Kobayashi Valencia 2010, Kubica Singapore 2010, Webber Hungary 2010

Actually 2010 Bridgestones were too hard, you could do 40 qualifying laps and they would still have some decent grip left.

#39 George Costanza

George Costanza

• 4,543 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 14:57

Bring back Bridgestone!

No, Bring back Goodyear.

Advertisement

#40 King Six

King Six

• 3,230 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 15:00

Drivers and Teams will constantly try to find the best balance between lap times and pit stops. You're always going to get tyre nursing in some form or another, we saw the same in 2010 with Bridgestone tyres. It's just how it is. The races are much much better these days, no question about that. This current system is the way forward.

The only way to get rid of tyre nursing is to have a tyre that allows a 100% race distance whilst driving 100% qualifying laps all the time with zero pit stops. So like 2005, but better.

#41 Nonesuch

Nonesuch

• 15,870 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 15:01

Yes, the Pirelli tyres are a joke and they are having a negative impact on F1 - but the teams asked for this.

#42 Paco

Paco

• 7,251 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 15:01

Man i feel old but yeah, I miss the 90s all out wars between teams with unlimited budgets - even though it was unstainable.

Even though I watch, it's not with the same passion and enthusiasim as before. Just not as interesting and seems way more artificial outcomes.

DRS - KERS are interesting but hate the concept of push a button to pass.

The tire situation is just ridiculous. I almost wish they'd just issue a 2 spec tires (soft/medium) and keep the same for years! Tires shouldn't dictate outcomes of a race. Period.

#43 King Six

King Six

• 3,230 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 15:02

Man i feel old but yeah, I miss the 90s all out wars between teams with unlimited budgets - even though it was unstainable.

Even though I watch, it's not with the same passion and enthusiasim as before. Just not as interesting and seems way more artificial outcomes.

DRS - KERS are interesting but hate the concept of push a button to pass.

The tire situation is just ridiculous. I almost wish they'd just issue a 2 spec tires (soft/medium) and keep the same for years! Tires shouldn't dictate outcomes of a race. Period.

Tyres shouldn't dictate outcome. Aero shouldn't dictate outcome. Engine shouldn't dictate outcome. Seriously, F1 is not a spec series, I know you guys just want to see a pure drivers series but it will never be.

The races nowadays are fantastic. This season is looking to be amazing.

#44 King Six

King Six

• 3,230 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 15:03

You guys are all just whining because once again Vettel won. I saw none of this **** when Button won, when Rosberg won, when Alonso won(!)

I see this **** all the time. When Vettel is on pole, everyone complains about qualifying. When he wins a race, everyone finds something to complain about. The sport is broken. Blah blah blah

Edited by King Six, 22 April 2012 - 15:04.

#45 TomNokoe

TomNokoe

• 33,682 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 15:03

The real problem has always been tracks and Aero.

#46 Massa_f1

Massa_f1

• 5,630 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 15:04

Will Buxton has tweeted:
Schumacher heavily critical of tyres in post race media scrums. Says racing to a delta time is not real racing. Wants words with Pirelli.

#47 PretentiousBread

PretentiousBread

• 2,906 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 15:04

Been saying this for ages now.......

#48 AlexS

AlexS

• 6,343 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 15:06

Says racing to a delta time is not real racing.

Why not? Does he wants only straights too? No Wet Races?

#49 jjcale

jjcale

• 16,192 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 15:06

Will Buxton has tweeted:
Schumacher heavily critical of tyres in post race media scrums. Says racing to a delta time is not real racing. Wants words with Pirelli.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

#50 discover23

discover23

• 9,302 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 15:08

Was it back in 2005 that tires were supposed to last the entire race. That rule did not work as teams/ drivers complained and a year later tire changes during the race were re-introduced. These changes are really annoying.