Photo

Sebastian Vettel Thread

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4010 replies to this topic

#1 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 00:35

New beggining, clean sheet of paper. New thread welcomes everyone.
Cheers.

Advertisement

#2 drunkenmaster

drunkenmaster

• 325 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 00:51

I'm not exactly sure why there has to be a new thread now for 2012, but if it has to be then it should be started with a nice quote,
courtesy of Geoff McGrath, McLaren Applied Technologies managing director: ;)

"McGrath added that beating qualifying master Sebastian Vettel will be crucial if McLaren is to be successful in 2012, particularly as its analysis indicated that the raw pace of last year's MP4-26 was superior towards the end of the season despite Red Bull and Vettel's run of poles.

"He must be a brilliant driver, because by the end of last season we definitely had the best car and he was still whupping us," McGrath said.

"We're trying to figure out exactly what he's doing that's so good. How does he pull out that fast qualifying lap every time? We think it's driver skill. There's no trickery on the cars, he just gets more out of it than we do."

#3 flyer121

flyer121

• 4,570 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 00:59

I'm not exactly sure why there has to be a new thread now for 2012, but if it has to be then it should be started with a nice quote,
courtesy of Geoff McGrath, McLaren Applied Technologies managing director:;)

Its all mind games ... to lull Seb into a false sense of security while McLaren use its applied technologies to create a Gator !!

#4 fabr68

fabr68

• 3,963 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 01:10

The article sure hit some nerves.

I think it is positive for Mclaren to look into the facts to find answers. It is no mystery that at times Mclaren drivers could have done better.

#5 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 01:15

I do welcome all regardless of their opinion, however the idea to launch a new thread rested on hope, that we will not wave red flag to enrage the bull and start the fight before we reach bottom of the first page. Sebastian's victory wasn't a fluke, we all know it, and lets than quietly look forward to a new season ahead of us. :wave:

#6 TheBunk

TheBunk

• 4,083 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 01:23

The article sure hit some nerves.

I think it is positive for Mclaren to look into the facts to find answers. It is no mystery that at times Mclaren drivers could have done better.

I dont find it that a crazy article. Not even Webber could touch Vettel in qualifying, while in race it was much closer. If someone needs to find answers why Seb was so dominant in that car, it is perhaps wise to see how he can switch those tyres on like noone else. That, and his obvious super talentf and immensely precise feel for placing the car through a corner.

#7 halifaxf1fan

halifaxf1fan

• 4,846 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 01:25

courtesy of Geoff McGrath, McLaren Applied Technologies managing director:;)

It is also good to see McLaren letting go of the idea that the Red Bull was faster due to 'trickery'. It was a car designed fairly within the rules and the difference was a highly skilled driver especially in qually.

#8 gillesthegenius

gillesthegenius

• 2,534 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 02:11

Do we really need a seperate thread to discuss Seb and his endeavours in 2012, when his main thread is alive and well?

It would be a sad thing if that thread is closed, like the Alonso one, as a result of the opening of this thread. :(

#9 halifaxf1fan

halifaxf1fan

• 4,846 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 02:13

Do we really need a seperate thread to discuss Seb and his endeavours in 2012, when his main thread is alive and well?

It would be a sad thing if that thread is closed, like the Alonso one, as a result of the opening of this thread. :(

:up:

#10 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 02:27

I do agree with you, altghou it is my hope that perhaps for a few it will be a welcomed chance to start fresh.

#11 krapmeister

krapmeister

• 11,543 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 03:15

I do welcome all regardless of their opinion, however the idea to launch a new thread rested on hope, that we will not wave red flag to enrage the bull and start the fight before we reach bottom of the first page. Sebastian's victory wasn't a fluke, we all know it, and lets than quietly look forward to a new season ahead of us. :wave:

Hmmm... Should I?

Nah...

:wave:

#12 BennyJohnson

BennyJohnson

• 656 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 05:38

Let me just settle in...

Posted Image

#13 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 10:06

Neat idea. One month more. :D

#14 jrg19

jrg19

• 6,118 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 12:34

Any guesses to Vettels first helmet design of the year?

#15 TheBunk

TheBunk

• 4,083 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 12:48

It is also good to see McLaren letting go of the idea that the Red Bull was faster due to 'trickery'.

Ahhh! The real reason the article was pulled! Theyre not! ;)

Edited by TheBunk, 02 February 2012 - 12:49.

#16 maverick69

maverick69

• 5,975 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 12:52

Ahhh! The real reason the article was pulled! Theyre not! ;)

The real reason it was pulled was because anything contentious that could be verified was factually incorrect:

1) "There are technical innovations on this car which will be immediately obvious when you see them"

No there isn't.

2) "We started way behind in the last couple of years"

What. Like 2010 you mean?

3) "There's no trickery on the cars"

How does he know this? Red Bull are probably the most secretive team on the grid. Do you really believe that the intimate working knowledge of the concepts and systems that make their car so fast would be spread as far as a satellite operation of McLaren? Gimme a break!

Finally, the so called journalist (first ever "article" for Autosport BTW) reports that "It is understood that McLaren are focussing on single lap speed with the MP4-27 which it hopes will allow it to take more pole positions and control races from the front"

Yesterday, when Goss was actually asked that specific question he quite categorically said that they were more focussed on getting the best out of the tyres during the race!

So if anything that could be verified was found to be bullshit - then what does it say for the rest of the article?

Think about it...........

#17 TheBunk

TheBunk

• 4,083 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 12:56

Lets not discuss that here. I was a joking, that was all. Nevertheless, I hear Red Bull is redesigning the RB8 to accomodate for Vettels ever expanding grin on his face :)

Edited by TheBunk, 02 February 2012 - 12:59.

#18 flyer121

flyer121

• 4,570 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 12:57

Lets not discuss that here. It was a joke, that was all.

What was? The article? :)

#19 Kvothe

Kvothe

• 7,439 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 13:11

Had to bump the thread upto two stars can't have a one star for our reigning double world champion, what does that say about the sport?

Anyway its nice that the three best drivers have their own new 2012 threads, we can make it a popularity competition by the end of the season. Although I fear Lewis with 24 pages now has an unassailable lead..... Good luck.

Edited by Kvothe, 02 February 2012 - 13:23.

Advertisement

#20 Owen

Owen

• 13,177 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 13:15

I think this will be Vettel's most unpopular year ever. Everyone's going to be gunning for him now from race1.
Sorry, not a very upbeat contribution to this thread.

#21 flyer121

flyer121

• 4,570 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 13:18

I think this will be Vettel's most unpopular year ever. Everyone's going to be gunning for him now from race1.
Sorry, not a very upbeat contribution to this thread.

I thought beating 2010 would be difficult where he was the pantomime villian and everyone and his dog were hunting the poor guy down !

#22 TheBunk

TheBunk

• 4,083 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 13:28

I think 2012 will be more of the same; Vettel letting his superior talent shine on and break the 40 pole mark, whilst making the rest look very mediocre. And having more praising articles pulled from Autosport ;)

#23 H2H

H2H

• 2,891 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 14:29

It is difficult to see weak spots in the armour of young-Siegfried, so car permitting we will see him fight for the WDC.

#24 puxanando

puxanando

• 3,538 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 15:54

:confused: can`t find a red Bull thread, so I will post it here:

red Bull will be in Barcelona long before the test to get some filmming done!

#25 Zava

Zava

• 7,115 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 16:00

:confused: can`t find a red Bull thread, so I will post it here:

red Bull will be in Barcelona long before the test to get some filmming done!

here you go:
http://forums.autosp...p;#entry5493901
(and thanks for the info)

Sakae, could we drop the y from the topic title? looks a bit silly.

#26 Apollonius

Apollonius

• 601 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 16:03

The big question is after two years of success, one of those being total domination - how will Seb handle it if/when things don't go his way? Could we see a breakdown? Fingers crossed :D

#27 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 16:27

here you go:
http://forums.autosp...p;#entry5493901
(and thanks for the info)

Thank you for drawing attention to this [y], but only moderators can change thread heading. BTW, what's "silly" about it? You are first person in my life, who would make a such comment. I have that in all my business contractual correspondence that I receive. Perhaps it's not correct in some circles, but I am not alone in using it, I assure you.

#28 joshb

joshb

• 3,387 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 16:30

The big question is after two years of success, one of those being total domination - how will Seb handle it if/when things don't go his way? Could we see a breakdown? Fingers crossed :D

well he wasn't overly moody after abu dhabi and brazil this year when things out of his control happened. and if he can keep his emotions in check after Korea 2010, I'm not too worried about a dip in results if that was the case.

#29 apoka

apoka

• 5,878 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 16:30

:up: just "Sebastian Vettel 2012" would look nicer

#30 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 16:46

You guys then petition moderators, to have the title changed, I don't mind.

#31 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • Admin

• 19,094 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 16:56

Done.

#32 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 17:05

Thank you.

#33 STRFerrari4Ever

STRFerrari4Ever

• 12,137 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 23:09

well he wasn't overly moody after abu dhabi and brazil this year when things out of his control happened. and if he can keep his emotions in check after Korea 2010, I'm not too worried about a dip in results if that was the case.

Yeah Korea 2010 was possibly the biggest test of his character and he got through that pretty well so I'm sure if he does experience some poor results he can bounce back from them in convincing fashion.

#34 DrF

DrF

• 2,581 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 00:45

How many other F1 drivers have three titles in three consecutive years, like Seb is gonna have at the end of 2012?

Until Newey leaves or there's another massive rule shakeup, he's going to keep winning.

#35 PNSD

PNSD

• 3,276 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 00:48

If the RB8 is simply capable of wins, then I cant see anyone stopping him. Well.... if Ferrari give Alonso the equipment then maybe Alonso.

But right now I cant see anyone having the speed, or composure over a full season to be able to beat him, except Alonso.

#36 TheBunk

TheBunk

• 4,083 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 00:56

How many other F1 drivers have three titles in three consecutive years, like Seb is gonna have at the end of 2012?

Two: Fangio (1954-1957) and Schumacher (2000-2004).

#37 DrF

DrF

• 2,581 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 00:58

Ferrari are all over the place, in terms of car development, race strategy, everything. Alonso was driving at the absolute limit last year, there was nothing more he could do. I don't see them giving him the car or the strategy in 2012 either and mclaren are in pretty much the same boat.

Strangely enough, I think that Mercedes are most likely to challenge Red Bull this year. I think Brawn wad keeping his powder dry last year and will come out with a whippet this year. I hope so anyway.

Edited by DrF, 03 February 2012 - 00:59.

#38 ArtShelley

ArtShelley

• 3,560 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 03:23

I agree that the probability of the car being fastest increases when both drivers are close but there is still an outside chance that both drivers were extracting more out of the machine than their rivals.

And if McGrath based his comments on the data they had , then its likely that Webber was actually driving the car at the realistic normal pace .....

Except that doesn't align with comments where Webber, Newey and Horner have all said that Webber has struggled on the Pirellis, and also doesn't align with with the fact that both driver's pace was far closer in 2010 than 2011.

Of course I can understand that Seb has improved as a driver from 2010 to 2011, but has he suddenly improved in inherent raw pace over Mark in the order of 4 tenths? I doubt it. It's far more likely to be a case of the Pirellis being a positive for Seb whilst being a negative for Mark, and those two factors contributing to a pace discrepancy of 4 tenths.

#39 bourbon

bourbon

• 7,265 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 05:34

So here is that Hardcore Chopper (motorcycle) that Seb bought. Pretty cool...

http://www.pistonhea.../news/24845.htm

Edited by bourbon, 03 February 2012 - 06:16.

Advertisement

#40 H2H

H2H

• 2,891 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 06:22

So here is that Hardcore Chopper (motorcycle) that Seb bought. Pretty cool...

http://www.pistonhea.../news/24845.htm

Nor my kind of bike, nor my kind of style. I'm more in to Enduros. The smaller price tag helps  ;)

#41 bourbon

bourbon

• 7,265 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 17:31

Well I am a fan of them. But I think all bike fans can appreciate the way they set up. They roll in and steal the show.

On another note, only a couple more days until the car launch - a different kind of blue road monster. Hopefully it is another Newey beauty so that Sebastian can wrangle her home to pole and flag. As McGrath over at McLaren AT indicated, Sebastian is a brilliant driver - so let's get him that brilliant car. :up:

Edited by bourbon, 03 February 2012 - 18:16.

#42 bourbon

bourbon

• 7,265 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 00:58

Tomorrow is the big day - I'm thinking Seb is jazze and ready to go. It will be great to see Seb & the Blue Crew tomorrow. :up:

#43 apoka

apoka

• 5,878 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 12:40

Tomorrow is the big day - I'm thinking Seb is jazze and ready to go. It will be great to see Seb & the Blue Crew tomorrow. :up:

Less than half an hour to go ... All I'm hoping for is that the car is not that ugly. If it is, I guess we will still all get used to it after a couple of races. (We got used to small rear wings, different tyres and what not.)

PS: The thread title seems to have changed again.

#44 Kvothe

Kvothe

• 7,439 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 13:26

Vettel interview:

http://notepad.badge...e-new-rb8-and-2

#45 maverick69

maverick69

• 5,975 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 14:11

"Obviously we hope our car is better than all the others but it will be difficult. I think the cars will be fairly similar, and the gaps will be even closer than they have been."

http://www.autosport...rt.php/id/97348

That doesn't make sense.

If the RB7 wasn't the fastest car last year - then surely the closing of performance to the others would naturally give Seb an even bigger performace advantage? :smoking:

#46 joshb

joshb

• 3,387 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 16:17

Not the prettiest car out there but as long as its competitive. will be keen to hear any trackside observers how it goes tomorrow

#47 hammibal

hammibal

• 1,857 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 16:28

"Obviously we hope our car is better than all the others but it will be difficult. I think the cars will be fairly similar, and the gaps will be even closer than they have been."

That doesn't make sense.

If the RB7 wasn't the fastest car last year - then surely the closing of performance to the others would naturally give Seb an even bigger performace advantage? :smoking:

So Vettel himself admits he had the best car unlike some of his most ardent supporters

#48 jamiegc

jamiegc

• 2,429 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 16:33

That doesn't make sense.

He saying exactly what he says right here:

"I think it will be very, very tight this year and anything else would be a surprise to be honest."

#49 TheBunk

TheBunk

• 4,083 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 16:33

So Vettel himself admits he had the best car unlike some of his most ardent supporters

Hes just being modest, not wanting to say his superior talent made the difference ;)

#50 drunkenmaster

drunkenmaster

• 325 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 16:46

And unlike Geoff McGrath, secret Vettel supporter inside McLaren...;)