Photo

Lewis: Decision time

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
276 replies to this topic

Poll: Lewis: Decision time (470 member(s) have cast votes)

Where would you advise him to drive?

1. McLaren (210 votes [44.97%])

Percentage of vote: 44.97%

2. AMG Mercedes (59 votes [12.63%])

Percentage of vote: 12.63%

3. Red Bull (60 votes [12.85%])

Percentage of vote: 12.85%

4. Ferrari (59 votes [12.63%])

Percentage of vote: 12.63%

5. A different team (16 votes [3.43%])

Percentage of vote: 3.43%

6. Don't know/care (63 votes [13.49%])

Percentage of vote: 13.49%

Where do you think, realistically, he will end up?

1. McLaren (308 votes [65.95%])

Percentage of vote: 65.95%

2. AMG Mercedes (46 votes [9.85%])

Percentage of vote: 9.85%

3. Red Bull (34 votes [7.28%])

Percentage of vote: 7.28%

4. Ferrari (21 votes [4.50%])

Percentage of vote: 4.50%

5. A different team (7 votes [1.50%])

Percentage of vote: 1.50%

6. Don't know/care (51 votes [10.92%])

Percentage of vote: 10.92%

Vote

#1 Owen

Owen

• 13,179 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 11:28

The F1 driver market is starting to move for next season as drivers who are out of contract at the end of the year review their options and start discussions. The key to the 2013 driver market is whether Michael Schumacher retires at the end of the year and whether Lewis Hamilton decides to try his luck away from McLaren.
http://www.jamesalle...-driver-market/

2 questions; where should Lewis drive in the future (which team)? and where do you think he will drive in the future (which team)?

Your thoughts are appreciated.

Advertisement

#2 IceSkyrim

IceSkyrim

• 867 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 11:33

I think he should make a partnership with some sponsors and go to Sauber/Toro Rosso.

Then he could have a lot of money and a competitive package.

#3 TheWilliamzer

TheWilliamzer

• 1,205 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 11:36

Like Jean-Marie Balestre said: "Best decision is MY decision!!"

Come to Williams Lewis!

#4 Kvothe

Kvothe

• 7,463 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 11:44

McLaren, McLaren!

#5 seahawk

seahawk

• 3,132 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 11:48

Best drive would be Red Bull contract for 2 years imho, I think he will stay at McLaren though

#6 MrMontecarlo

MrMontecarlo

• 546 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 11:48

McLaren is the best option by far.

#7 Mackey

Mackey

• 1,567 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 11:50

He won´t move. Red Bull and Ferrari won´t sign him while Alonso and Vettel are there, and what team better than McLaren is left? It´s a no brainer decision, all this doubts/rumours come from his management to get more money from McLaren

#8 korzeniow

korzeniow

• 5,671 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 11:54

He won´t move. Red Bull and Ferrari won´t sign him while Alonso and Vettel are there, and what team better than McLaren is left? It´s a no brainer decision, all this doubts/rumours come from his management to get more money from McLaren

I agree :up:

#9 Timstr11

Timstr11

• 11,162 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 12:36

Simon Oliveira ‏@simonolive [Simon Fuller's XIX Entertainment]
Seen some report of Lewis already deciding to leave McLaren. Utter rubbish, ignore it completely
Retweeted by Will Buxton

Edited by Timstr11, 01 June 2012 - 13:14.

#10 V8 Fireworks

V8 Fireworks

• 10,824 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 12:39

There's a big difference between moving to Red Bull/Ferrari/Mercedes for a competitive advantage and moving to BAR for a huge paycheck.

Except that BAR and Mercedes are the same team and have the same performance level :eek:

Anyhow...

1) I think Red Bull will be best. Go and beat Vettel, in the same team, for Lewis' own peace of mind. :up: :up: They are still the WCC leading team at present. A 2 year deal would do the trick. Under the hybrid turbo era where drivetrain might be king, it might be prudent to then move on to a manufacturer team after that. First the satisifaction of beating Vettel, one on one. :up:

2. AMG Mercedes would be the most accomodating. Perhaps it might conspire to be the case that Hamilton will be signed with clear number 1 and di Resta (or even Schumi :lol: ) will be given specific number two duties and lack of priority, to make sure that Lewis is happy etc.

#11 iotar

iotar

• 2,153 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 12:49

He can't stay his whole career in a McLaren safe place. There will always be a question mark about him if he spends his whole career there.

Now that Mercedes is close enough on pace and improving, why not go there if Schumacher retires? McLaren is a safer choice, Mercedes may not last in F1, but he can always come back. Let's say for couple of seasons. Drivers situation is a bit stale at the moment, so Rosberg - Hamilton match up would be intriguing.

#12 Pudu

Pudu

• 197 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 12:49

Except that BAR and Mercedes are the same team and have the same performance level :eek:

:lol:

Well, yes to the first part. I'm not sure Jenson would back you up on the second bit though.

...It's not going to happen of course Hamilton needs his bubble to shine.

Yes, that's obvious since he failed so miserably when he left McLaren.

Edited by Pudu, 01 June 2012 - 12:54.

#13 goingthedistance

goingthedistance
  • RC Forum Host

• 4,471 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 13:37

I think he should go to Red Bull, but will probably stay at McLaren.

#14 PNSD

PNSD

• 3,276 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 13:44

If he goes to RedBull (if they want him!) he will have a tough, tough time facing Vettel. I predict with Vettel's ability to make the team his own, Lewis will come out 2nd best. (That team was Webber's team for many years!)

If he goes to Ferrari, then I can honestly see Lewis wishing he'd stayed at home. Alonso seems to have got better year on year IMO.

If he stays at Mclaren he will be a prime seat almost every year but has a strong team mate, and will likely to continue to get strong team mates when Button goes. But he will be the better of who he faces there.

If he goes to Mercedes IMO it will be along with a swap with Nico! Meaning his team mate would be Paul di Resta. In that case, Lewis would be assured #1 and be treated like Alonso is at Ferrari.

Realistically, he has the choice of Mclaren or Mercedes. After that he will then be lucky to be in a team which can win.

edit - I'd like to see him leave Mclaren for another team, smaller team to see what he can do. As they say form is temporary, class is permanent. He can have a few years with a poor team but if he wanted a top drive, he could easily get one after.

Edited by PNSD, 01 June 2012 - 13:46.

#15 jeze

jeze

• 2,973 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 14:27

I'd love Lewis with Fernando at Ferrari but it ain't gonna happen!

#16 Afterburner

Afterburner
  • RC Forum Host

• 9,281 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 14:56

A switch to Ferrari or RBR would mean facing Alonso or Vettel in teams that they've essentially built around themselves, and you can't say with absolute certainty that he'd end up the quicker driver at either team. All you have to do is take one look at Schumi's reliability record this year to wonder if Mercedes would be any different than McLaren in terms of team-related issues, so that just leaves McLaren as a viable option.

In all honesty, he should stay put. He knows McLaren, they know him, and they've had a record of consistently producing cars capable of winning races. A no-brainer, in my opinion.

#17 fed up

fed up

• 3,692 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 14:58

My guess he has already signed for RBR and Vettel will go to Ferrari in 2014.

RBR would be crazy to risk losing both Vet & Hamilton over the next couple of years.

No way would Mclaren leave it this late - Lewis and his team have been stalling becasue they've decided to go elsewhere. Along time ago.

Never thought Nando would sign for Mclaren, Montoya for Mclaren, Kimi for Ferrari, Hill for Jordan, Senna for Williams etc etc

In F1 - expect the unexpected.

#18 undersquare

undersquare

• 18,929 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 15:08

I'd advise Red Bull. I that would be an electric partnership with Newey, and a much better fit with the team culture than Whitmarsh's McLaren. If he can't beat Vettel then he can't, but I think he would, narrowly, and I don't think he'd be shy about taking him on.

Where he WILL go I have no idea. This is F1. Even if we could see a logical choice that wouldn't tell us. Tho if DM simply wants to sell more fizzy drinks then he'll go for Lewis, obviously.

#19 Pudu

Pudu

• 197 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 15:21

I'd advise Red Bull. I that would be an electric partnership with Newey, and a much better fit with the team culture than Whitmarsh's McLaren. If he can't beat Vettel then he can't, but I think he would, narrowly, and I don't think he'd be shy about taking him on.

Where he WILL go I have no idea. This is F1. Even if we could see a logical choice that wouldn't tell us. Tho if DM simply wants to sell more fizzy drinks then he'll go for Lewis, obviously.

Concur with all of this. :up:

Advertisement

#20 SpaMaster

SpaMaster

• 5,856 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 15:48

One option to go would have been Red Bull. But, did you see the recent sound bite from Vettel that he is happy and could not imagine a life without Red Bull? That says a lot of things about his Red Bull chances. Relationship with McLaren seems to be at the edge. But as much as Hamilton may have frustrations about McLaren, they did stand by him last year when he was doing lot of mistakes and seemed to be distracted. McLaren have still been the second best team over the past few years, and arguably the most consistently competitive team for the past 8 years. McLaren is his best option even if he may be quite frustrated and looking to move elsewhere. Mercedes may be an option then. If Hamilton becomes available for Mercedes, Schumacher would be retiring, believe me. Then a big jackpot of a McLaren seat is awaiting a selected few drivers.

#21 Fox1

Fox1

• 713 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 16:16

Personally, I think Lewis should stay with McLaren. The primary goals are wins and championships; he doesn't have a darn thing to prove to anyone by moving to another team. My biggest concern at the moment is that the longer this continues the more it will be a distraction for the team. When drivers sign contracts and show long-term commitment to the team, it has a tendency to motivate and uplift everyone within the team. All of this speculation is just hurting a team in desperate need of some strong results and positive news. My only advice to McLaren's management and Lewis is to get this crap wrapped-up as soon as possible!!!

That's coming from a supporter of both.

#22 undersquare

undersquare

• 18,929 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 16:22

One option to go would have been Red Bull. But, did you see the recent sound bite from Vettel that he is happy and could not imagine a life without Red Bull? That says a lot of things about his Red Bull chances. Relationship with McLaren seems to be at the edge. But as much as Hamilton may have frustrations about McLaren, they did stand by him last year when he was doing lot of mistakes and seemed to be distracted. McLaren have still been the second best team over the past few years, and arguably the most consistently competitive team for the past 8 years. McLaren is his best option even if he may be quite frustrated and looking to move elsewhere. Mercedes may be an option then. If Hamilton becomes available for Mercedes, Schumacher would be retiring, believe me. Then a big jackpot of a McLaren seat is awaiting a selected few drivers.

Ha, well Sebi's words about Red Bull are all a bit of a rationalisation if you read them carefully, not much actual commitment there. Fact is teams go through drivers, and drivers go through teams. Loyalty is never as deep as they like to make out.

Same with Lewis. He was fine through 2009, then they gave his team to Jense. Lewis will not feel ANY debt over last year, when the team played its part in his 'downfall', with the mediocre car, strategies and conservative approach until Lewis and Jense gave them a kick up the ass. Lewis gave them 3 wins anyway.

#23 Sevach

Sevach

• 966 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 16:40

I would love for him to change teams, shake up the status quo, but i think he will stay put.

#24 velgajski1

velgajski1

• 3,766 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 16:42

Hard to say, the only thing I'm sure about is that he has solid option except McLaren otherwise we would read 'McLaren and Hamilton signed new contract worth ... ' weeks if not months ago.

#25 Stormsky68

Stormsky68

• 1,623 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 16:48

I suspect he's already gone, when was the last time a top driver contract was left to run put before re-signing?

#26 Tifosi4ever

Tifosi4ever

• 786 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 17:02

He should set up his own team, together with iSports, Anthony Davidson and united Music publishing. It could be called a combination of the investors with Lewis being the main investor. Maybe LewisHam IS AD UMP. :)

#27 Dunc

Dunc

• 924 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 17:15

I want him to go to Williams, now that they're on the way back to competitiveness, and do for them what Schumi did for Ferrari.

It will never happen but I can dream.

#28 Afterburner

Afterburner
  • RC Forum Host

• 9,281 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 17:28

I suspect he's already gone, when was the last time a top driver contract was left to run put before re-signing?

Now that I think about it, you make a good point. I remember he said he wanted to get negotiations out of the way early on so he could focus on the championship... whatever happened to that?

#29 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 17,232 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 17:30

Don't know, don't know.
The only logical option is Red Bull, it he indeed leaves McLaren.

#30 Tifosi4ever

Tifosi4ever

• 786 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 17:31

I want him to go to Williams, now that they're on the way back to competitiveness, and do for them what Schumi did for Ferrari.

It will never happen, because as soon as Lewis wins the wdc for them, Frank would fire him.

#31 Stormsky68

Stormsky68

• 1,623 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 17:50

Lewis and Fernando have not been having man love for nothing, thats where my fiver is.

#32 1001

• 90 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 18:12

McLaren/Red Bull

Though I'm just guessing when it comes to the second vote.

Lewis and Fernando have not been having man love for nothing, thats where my fiver is.

Hadn't actually considered this properly, but it could just be.

#33 Tifosi4ever

Tifosi4ever

• 786 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 18:29

Lewis and Fernando have always had massive respect for each other. Fernando just hated Ron, and who could blame him?

#34 PNSD

PNSD

• 3,276 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 18:33

Lewis and Fernando have always had massive respect for each other. Fernando just hated Ron, and who could blame him?

Exactly. During their time together Lewis and Fernando NEVER said a bad thing about each other.

Fernando criticized the team, and rightly so. They lost a championship, either Lewis or Alonso!

Not forgetting of course, Alonso fans and Lewis fans were terrible during their time together. The racist posters during testing, some events? Typical fanboyism made it seem worse than it was.

However, if Lewis did go Ferrari he will be facing IMO a much, much stronger Fernando than in 2007, he will be facing a Fernando who is probably the best he has ever been, and he will be facing a Fernando who currently leads the title in a car that should not be in the top 6.

#35 keiichi

keiichi

• 527 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 18:56

I really don't see Lewis leaving Mclaren unless he knows he has a solid chance to go to Red Bull. Lewis and Fernando might seem they're best friends at the moment but get them together and they'll beat the crap out of each other cause neither of them is willing to be a number 2 driver, and besides I don't think Ferrari wants anyone who can destabilize them as a team and Fernando as their number 1.

As for Di Resta going to Mclaren, IF Lewis leaves, to me it seems almost the logical option because of his connection with Mercedes and to Mclaren to some extent and the fact that he's actually a pretty good driver and always as been quite impressive through his whole career (at least in my opinion).

That said, I must admit that as unlikely as this might sound, I would love to see Kobayashi at a top team pulling those insane moves in a competitive car, and taking up Hamilton's seat would be that (remote) chance.

#36 pacwest

pacwest

• 1,482 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 19:18

This is a wet dream for many. The Senna factor is a calculation to be made.

#37 pacwest

pacwest

• 1,482 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 19:21

Don't forget, at some point, Lewis WILL not drive a McLaren. Ending his career there is a possibility but at some point, he will not be a driver there.

No one can look at the end of 2013 but I can assure you that will be a critical time for many drivers. 2012 not so much I feel.

#38 SCEPurple

SCEPurple

• 326 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 19:30

Formula 1 generally has a knack of throwing up the unexpected, but if I had to place money on it, I would guess that Lewis will sign something like a 2-3 year contract with Mclaren for a fairly tidy payment deal.

Sadly, anything we hear in the media at this stage is likely to be nothing more than a journalist trying to get some hits on their article because like him or not, Lewis attracts attention.

My personal speculation:

Ferrari

I do not think it is the right time for Lewis and Fernando to be team mates again, both still have a lot to accomplish and it is not really within their interests to be paired. They are a known quantity to one another and I would hazard a guess that they are the respective team mates each has been most impressed by the ability of. In some ways Lewis comes across as intimidated by Fernando at times, and seemingly genuinely surprised by some of the things he has said to the media. The image the media portrays of them these days is positive but actually only a year on from 2007, at least one newspaper reported Lewis saying,

'It was great to see Fernando in my garage after the race,' said Hamilton. 'He shook my hand and gave me a hug, then congratulated the rest of the team. It took a big man to come and do that. I was thankful.'

(http://www.dailymail...lry-Alonso.html)

Alonso also gave Lewis a congratulatory handshake after his 2012 Spanish pole lap (captured by FOM on their Sky/BBC broadcast) so the relationship between the 2 is one of serious respect, but I as I said above, I don't believe they would choose to be team mates by preference. Over the last 3 seasons Mclaren and Ferrari's pace has been very comparable over the course of a season, so there's no major pull factor there.

Red Bull

Surprising to myself, I actually see this as the most likely and most attractive. The reasons for this is that Lewis is the kind of guy who is motivated to win: Over the last 3.5 seasons Red Bull have consistently been the slickest operation across most facets; pits, strategy, technical, performance... I can only say they have faultered in elements of reliability - Sebastian's 2010 campaign (although he still managed it) and on/off KERS issues come to mind.

I think this partnership could be electric and I am sure many fans would love to see Seb and Lewis in the same machinery. The partnership and interactions with Newey would be excellent as well. The man is really painted as a legend - One day he may release a biography and I would love there to be a chapter containing as many of the key players of his era of Formula 1 as possible, including Lewis.

However, I do not think it is that likely, the team have no need to destabilize themselves, Mark is still performing very well and it would not really be taking advantage of their young driver program. The only motivation would come from higher up and most likely for marketing purposes. Lewis does fit that bill but I'm still not sure it is the right time, particularly after Lewis' stock fell in the 2011 season and has yet to actually put victories alongside his performances this year. I also don't see much in the relationship between Seb and Lewis.

Mercedes

This is a move that would not surprise me, the relationship with Haug is there, the positive relationship with Nico and the expected departure of Michael play into Merc's favour.

The team has come on and made improvements in their facilities and performance but I still feel they are an unknown quantity. They have not consistently outpaced Mclaren since their revival and there are some uncertainties over their future. There are also the links of Paul Di Resta one day joining the team, not Lewis.

#39 Viktoria

Viktoria

• 87 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 19:52

Where would you advise him to drive?
I've voted for Ferrari

Where do you think, realistically, he will end up?
I've voted for McLaren. (But thats not mean that I dont think Lewis could leave not only Mclaren but also F1!

Advertisement

#40 BigCHrome

BigCHrome

• 4,049 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 19:59

I don't think he will go to Ferrari.

Mercedes makes a lot of sense because Haug loves him, Brawn has shown his admiration and the car/team is on an upwards trend. Depends on Schumacher though because he means a lot to them and the German public.

Red Bull is probably the best choice in terms of the car, however, Horner and Marko wouldn't want to make their golden boy cry. Plus it would render their entire young driver program useless.

Staying at McLaren would be just silly, they can't stop making stupid mistakes since Whitmarsh has gotten the TP job and there are no signs of improvement in that area.

Edited by D.M.N., 01 June 2012 - 21:17.
removing " because of Pat Fry - they do not see eye to eye if you trust the rumors" to prevent people asking about said rumours

#41 Alfisti

Alfisti

• 39,833 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 20:01

No way Ferrari is an option.

RBR on paper works in terms of getting that worried look off his face and loosening him up a bit but with Vettel there and RBR due a bad season or two, it may be a case of the horse having already bolted.

McLaren would be safe but he JUST DOES NOT LOOK HAPPY and has not for 2 years.

That leaves mercedes, it's a bit to corporate so he has to put up with being in that environment but it's them or McLaren.

#42 Alx09

Alx09

• 1,283 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 20:35

Personally I'd actually like to see him at Ferrari... or RedBull. Anything but McLaren tbh. (and I am a ex. long time McLaren fan)

Edited by Alx09, 01 June 2012 - 20:36.

#43 korzeniow

korzeniow

• 5,671 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 20:50

Personally I'd actually like to see him at Ferrari... or RedBull. Anything but McLaren tbh. (and I am a ex. long time McLaren fan)

You would want that because of concern for McLaren or for Hamilton?

#44 undersquare

undersquare

• 18,929 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 20:54

I would hate to see him at the smoking team, that would really be the worst :cry: .

#45 Coral

Coral

• 6,807 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 21:04

I would love it if Lewis went to Ferrari...he and Alonso have been all over one another recently and it would be my dream team. But maybe Lewis at Ferrari is too good to be true...

I'm not really a fan of Red Bull (putting it mildly), but I would like to see Lewis work with Newey.

Mercedes or even Williams would be good too.

As I have said many times before, I want Lewis to leave McLaren. I believe that Lewis's relationship with McLaren broke down a long time ago and it is time for him to go elsewhere. However I reckon that Whitmarsh has now realised that Lewis is McLaren's best bet of winning another WDC and he will do anything to persuade him to stay. Who knows what will happen...

#46 korzeniow

korzeniow

• 5,671 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 21:21

@Coral, when exctly this Hamilton's relationship with McLaren broke down?

#47 Raziel

Raziel

• 2,375 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 21:57

So some of you are too excited about possible combo Newey/Hamilton at Red Bull so do you really think that Newey will stay with Red Bull for another 5-7 years? Don't forget that he extended his contract with RB only until the end of 2014 and after that everything could happen! He (Adrian) could go to Ferrari or end his F1 career and that would be a big blow to Red Bull team and their championship hopes. RB and Mercedes are not safe options also. Mercedes could leave F1 any day (Honda, Toyota, Renault etc) and like I said Newey could leave RB/F1 after 2014 and then what? His only and best options are McLaren and Ferrari! Two largest and best teams in history of F1. They are the safest options and they are in F1 to stay.

#48 MP422

MP422

• 2,157 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 22:02

So some of you are too excited about possible combo Newey/Hamilton at Red Bull so do you really think that Newey will stay with Red Bull for another 5-7 years? Don't forget that he extended his contract with RB only until the end of 2014 and after that everything could happen! He (Adrian) could go to Ferrari or end his F1 career and that would be a big blow to Red Bull team and their championship hopes. RB and Mercedes are not safe options also. Mercedes could leave F1 any day (Honda, Toyota, Renault etc) and like I said Newey could leave RB/F1 after 2014 and then what? His only and best options are McLaren and Ferrari! Two largest and best teams in history of F1. They are the safest options and they are in F1 to stay.

Think newey would ever go back to Mclaren, Is this possible ?

Edited by MP422, 01 June 2012 - 22:03.

#49 TheBunk

TheBunk

• 4,083 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 22:09

Think newey would ever go back to Mclaren, Is this possible ?

Doubt it. He doesnt like the current rules a lot so i wont be suprised if he calls it a day after his rb contract finishes.

#50 scheivlak

scheivlak

• 16,495 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 22:15

Maybe, maybe, McLaren or Mercedes but certainly not Ferrari. Adrian has explicitly said recently that he won't go to Ferrari because he likes to live and stay in England.