London GP?

• Please log in to reply
155 replies to this topic

#1 oligc94

oligc94

• 522 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 06:39

http://www.telegraph...-shortlist.html

Bernie Ecclestone's bid for the Olympic Stadium is one of four being considered by the Olympic Legacy Committee.

Thoughts?

Advertisement

#2 Rob29

Rob29

• 3,582 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 07:04

Anything has got to be an improvement on Silverstone?

#3 Lord Snooty

Lord Snooty

• 938 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 07:16

F1 in London? Would be tremendous but I do not think its likely.

#4 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,754 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 08:22

Bernie Ecclestone's bid for the Olympic Stadium is one of four being considered by the Olympic Legacy Committee.

Thoughts?

Did you read the article? BE hasn't made any bid.

Won't happen anyway.

#5 Tony Mandara

Tony Mandara

• 10,420 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 08:24

Proposals for F1 in London eh?

Is it the end of June again already?! :rolleyes:

;)

#6 F1ultimate

F1ultimate

• 2,991 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 08:29

I live in London and as much as I would love F1 on home home grounds, I feel that a race in overcrowded London would be a snooze fest just like Singapore, Valencia and Korea. Street circuits are good PR for F1 but they simply don't lend themselves to good racing.

#7 f1fan1998

f1fan1998

• 293 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 09:43

Yawn.

#8 rhukkas

rhukkas

• 2,764 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 10:12

and who would end up paying for it? the public. who would end up benefiting... NOT the public thats for sure. Been conned once with the Olympics... not agian please.

#9 Xpat

Xpat

• 17,724 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 10:38

I love London, but not for a race.

Am I the only one who loved going to Silverstone to watch a race? Lots of history and character, fun atmosphere.

#10 Disgrace

Disgrace

• 31,453 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 10:53

Bernie is spouting a lot of nonsense today, I wonder if he's under the spotlight for anything dodgy.

#11 Baddoer

Baddoer

• 3,528 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 10:59

No.

#12 Gilles12

Gilles12

• 863 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 13:11

London doesn't have the infrastructure to support it

It would also most likely have to be held in the centre which would then knock out all the travel systems, so not only would London not be able to operate as a city but tourists wouldn't even be able to get to the event

Consider this, there was a thunderstorm recently that knocked out two of London's major rail stations (lightning hit the tracks) and the whole system ground to a halt or was seriously affected with delays (buses, tube, rail, road traffic)

#13 F1ultimate

F1ultimate

• 2,991 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 13:37

London doesn't have the infrastructure to support it

That's a big lesson that Boris Johnson will learn when London crumbles this summer when the Olympics descend on it. In the mornings I never get a seat on my way to work by London Bridge, neither do I get one around 18:00. I sympathies with mothers who will attempt traveling with 1-2 children on the tube during the Olympics.

#14 BRG

BRG

• 25,950 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 15:28

That's a big lesson that Boris Johnson will learn when London crumbles this summer when the Olympics descend on it. In the mornings I never get a seat on my way to work by London Bridge, neither do I get one around 18:00. I sympathies with mothers who will attempt traveling with 1-2 children on the tube during the Olympics.

All the signs are that London will be less crowded than usual during the Olympics. None of the tourists that generally flock here in the summer are coming because of the Games. London hotels are finding themselves with vacant rooms, instead of making the killing that they hoped for when they cranked up their prices. The fabled economic benefits of the Games are non-existent. We are just going yet further into debt.

As for this bid for the stadium for F1, forget it. They have zero chance of winning, even if they were a serious bidder. West Ham will get it. Soccer rules in the UK , after all.

#15 Fastcake

Fastcake

• 12,554 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 16:29

See every time I've been in London I've always thought the underground and most of the public transport was pretty damn good. Must be a sign of how god-awful our rail lines are in the South-West that things like 10 minute delays and not getting a seat are no longer even noticeable to me, not to mention the regular cancellations and broken carriages :lol:

On topic, another month another Grand Prix proposal. It's like Bernie has it set for one a month...

#16 Prost1997T

Prost1997T

• 8,379 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 17:03

It's sub-par for the money spent on it, but the overcrowding is a consequence of the government wanting to make London the centre of everything creating a catch 22. With the tax system as it is there's no incentive to set up outside of a major urban centre.

As for the GP, maybe Bernie's pulling another PR move - remember the budget cap? Didn't happen but the RRA did instead.

#17 Les

Les

• 2,116 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 17:10

Sounds like nonesense but I hope we get a track map for a laugh. I wonder if it'll manage to be worse than the stupid Argentinian port one

#18 LittleChris

LittleChris

• 3,729 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 21:07

West Ham will get it.

Not if us supporters have anything to do with it. :evil:

Let Barry Hearn's mob have it and if they don't want it, Sebastien Coe can pay for it himself since he's largely responsible for the whole Olympics farce.

#19 johnap

johnap

• 280 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 21:09

Bernie is spouting a lot of nonsense today, I wonder if he's under the spotlight for anything dodgy.

Funny you should say that, there seems to be some dodgy business about how Ecclestone bribing some German banker ;)

Advertisement

#20 F1ultimate

F1ultimate

• 2,991 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 08:36

Does anyone know where in London the F1 demo will take place this Thursday the 28th? I've spent quite some time this morning trying to find out where Santander is holding and F1 event and most importantly what drivers will be there!

#21 BRG

BRG

• 25,950 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 19:44

Does anyone know where in London the F1 demo will take place this Thursday the 28th? I've spent quite some time this morning trying to find out where Santander is holding and F1 event and most importantly what drivers will be there!

According to this, it is Lotus at Hurlingham and is the only event this year?

#22 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 44,261 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 20:17

Ahem...We've been here before ya know and.. It's like Deja-Vu ...all over again

Jp

#23 spacekid

spacekid

• 3,143 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 23:41

Obvious plug for F1 in the UK press ahead of Silverstone is obvious.

For what its worth though - stupid idea, don't like it.

The idea they had for a London race round Hyde Park/The Mall etc a few years ago was bonkers and would never happen in a million years, but I actually would love to see that. Probably only once, but I'd love to see it.

#24 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 44,261 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 00:37

Obvious plug for F1 in the UK press ahead of Silverstone is obvious.

For what its worth though - stupid idea, don't like it.

The idea they had for a London race round Hyde Park/The Mall etc a few years ago was bonkers and would never happen in a million years, but I actually would love to see that. Probably only once, but I'd love to see it.

Like I said...They did it already..You lot are 6 years late!
Jp

#25 F1ultimate

F1ultimate

• 2,991 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 09:21

According to this, it is Lotus at Hurlingham and is the only event this year?

There's something else too, Organized by Santander and McLaren and will take place at the Royal Automobile Club on Pal Mall. From the limited bits of info I've seen it seems like they Lewis and Button will run a simulation of a London GP.

#26 grandmastashi

grandmastashi

• 274 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 09:25

Same thing every couple of years... yawn.

#27 Tonka

Tonka

• 834 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 14:39

If there were to be a F1 demonstration in London, it would be announced here

http://www.molpresents.com/

but it ain't.

#28 Withnail

Withnail

• 59 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 00:39

Here we go again: Bernie is talking about a GP through London's streets again

Edited by Withnail, 28 June 2012 - 00:39.

#29 SB

SB

• 2,437 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 01:51

No I dont need another Valencia GP please. Just stay in Silverstone is good enough to me.

#30 pingu666

pingu666

• 9,272 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 03:09

if they used the olympic stadium, you could have a oval race... :)

#31 F1ultimate

F1ultimate

• 2,991 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 06:46

Looks glittery but would leave the city's transportation paralysed for a whole 1-2 weeks.

http://www.metro.co....london-unveiled

#32 item3785

item3785

• 64 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 07:17

Of course, it's all nonsense.

Who would be paying for this race?
UK government (tax players) sure as hell aren't.

#33 One

One

• 6,527 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 07:18

Here we go again: Bernie is talking about a GP through London's streets again

This is Formula One at its best so far in terms of glamour, not sure tho where it runs, so no idea how the racing itself might be. Guess better in front of Westminster than Olympic palace?

#34 muramasa

muramasa

• 8,479 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 07:45

ask most other venues to pay more and more and improve facility to host GP, while paying venue (monaco, now london) to host GP? that's madness, hardly acceptable.

#35 F1ultimate

F1ultimate

• 2,991 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 07:57

Guess better in front of Westminster than Olympic palace?

Not really. Both Picadilly Circus and Picadilly are being redevelop for pedestrian walking. Hell on picadilly there is now an elevated pavement splitting the lanes to make life easier for jaywalking. In order for that area to accommodate an F1 race it would need to be redeveloped all over again.

I'm curious to see a map of the actually venue but the Olympic area would be much easier to tweak than Whitehall. Bernie is being disillusion. There's now was a race can be pulled off in the West End. It would be like trying to host a wedding reception in a dorm room.

#36 One

One

• 6,527 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 08:35

ask most other venues to pay more and more and improve facility to host GP, while paying venue (monaco, now london) to host GP? that's madness, hardly acceptable.

Well it is in London, not in Far East Asia. To do it in Tokyo will kost Folks more than what Bernie may pay, Bernie will get more money from ads by doing it in london, so get money from other channel, that i swhat he mean. If Sanfransisco can prove that a Formula ONe race there will sufficiently generate ads income for Bernie that will tripple the sanction, then he might agree. But Sanfransisco is not London, neither Rome. Perhaps NYC, but folks there do not want one through Wall street.

London, NYC, Tokyo, that is the biggest ad's industry city on earth.

Not really. Both Picadilly Circus and Picadilly are being redevelop for pedestrian walking. Hell on picadilly there is now an elevated pavement splitting the lanes to make life easier for jaywalking. In order for that area to accommodate an F1 race it would need to be redeveloped all over again.

I C.
But westminster is not at Picadilly

Westminster, Imperial war museum, Waterloo there abouts?

I'm curious to see a map of the actually venue but the Olympic area would be much easier to tweak than Whitehall. Bernie is being disillusion. There's now was a race can be pulled off in the West End. It would be like trying to host a wedding reception in a dorm room.

Kinda boring, empty there.

#37 One

One

• 6,527 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 08:39

How about Westminster, Grosvenor road, Chelser Brisge, Buttersea powerstation, Nine Elmsln, Imperial War museum, Warerloo and back?

#38 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 46,554 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 08:44

According to the BBC 5Live team https://twitter.com/...246849558102016

"The plan is for it to start on The Mall, then Green Park, Embankment, Trafalgar Square and then back to The Mall. Just over 3 miles."

Not that I can see this happening.

#39 grandmastashi

grandmastashi

• 274 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 09:32

Just me or is it a coincidence that Bernie floated this again on the same day as the Gribkowsky trial result? Good day to bury bad news methinks.

Advertisement

#40 One

One

• 6,527 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 09:46

Just me or is it a coincidence that Bernie floated this again on the same day as the Gribkowsky trial result? Good day to bury bad news methinks.

I could hardly see the link exept that Bernie try to escape prison by being popular men on street, giving money to everyone, acting like a Santa in summer, if you mean that this is the case, I could see very little impact. Tax authority would want to see Bernie paying enough tax... Should this cost more for Bernie? :lol:

#41 F1ultimate

F1ultimate

• 2,991 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 10:13

How about Westminster, Grosvenor road, Chelser Brisge, Buttersea powerstation, Nine Elmsln, Imperial War museum, Warerloo and back?

Still wouldn't beat Battersea Power Station to Croydon and back.

#42 One

One

• 6,527 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 10:14

Still wouldn't beat Battersea Power Station to Croydon and back.

Only that Lewis will not go there.

#43 grandmastashi

grandmastashi

• 274 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 10:27

I could hardly see the link exept that Bernie try to escape prison by being popular men on street, giving money to everyone, acting like a Santa in summer, if you mean that this is the case, I could see very little impact. Tax authority would want to see Bernie paying enough tax... Should this cost more for Bernie? :lol:

I was just really speculating that from a media point of view, it's a typical tactic of Bernie's to divert attention to something else when a controversy involving him is sparked.

#44 One

One

• 6,527 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 10:31

I was just really speculating that from a media point of view, it's a typical tactic of Bernie's to divert attention to something else when a controversy involving him is sparked.

Double marketting strategy, huumm... I wonder who will do better than Bernie in promoting Formula One?

Sop where is Fav?

#45 Dunc

Dunc

• 924 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 11:25

I would love to see Britain hold two races a year. Italy, Germany, Spain and France (if you inlcude Monaco) have all regularly held two races a season in recent memory so why not the UK?

I would object to it being in London though. We have some amazing circuits in the UK, why not fund an upgrade for one of them? How many drivers would like to try and match Senna's achievement of overtaking five cars in one lap at Donnington (okay, easier in the DRS era but just saying)?

Even if there was a determination to have a street race, why London? Surely other cities must have good potential track layouts. How about a race on some of Carlisle's twisting roads? Or around Bath with its elegant Georgian architecture in the background?

London gets so much in this country, which does the rest of it down.

#46 F1ultimate

F1ultimate

• 2,991 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 11:30

I would love to see Britain hold two races a year. Italy, Germany, Spain and France (if you inlcude Monaco) have all regularly held two races a season in recent memory so why not the UK?

I would object to it being in London though. We have some amazing circuits in the UK, why not fund an upgrade for one of them? How many drivers would like to try and match Senna's achievement of overtaking five cars in one lap at Donnington (okay, easier in the DRS era but just saying)?

Even if there was a determination to have a street race, why London? Surely other cities must have good potential track layouts. How about a race on some of Carlisle's twisting roads? Or around Bath with its elegant Georgian architecture in the background?

London gets so much in this country, which does the rest of it down.

During the Senna era F1 wasn't as commercially focused as it it today. Unlike a race at Donnington one in London has immense monitisation in terms of selling out all tickets and advertising space around the circuit.

#47 mtknot

mtknot

• 1,206 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 11:44

Thoughts?

I don't live in the UK but why not?

#48 Les

Les

• 2,116 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 11:50

Oh dear I see this thing has grown legs. I think Joe Saward has got it pretty much spot on in his blog today...

#49 Linus27

Linus27

• 4,895 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 11:53

I live in London and as much as I would love F1 on home home grounds, I feel that a race in overcrowded London would be a snooze fest just like Singapore, Valencia and Korea. Street circuits are good PR for F1 but they simply don't lend themselves to good racing.

Rubbish. Some of those races are the best races of the season.

#50 One

One

• 6,527 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 11:55

Oh dear I see this thing has grown legs. I think Joe Saward has got it pretty much spot on in his blog today...

It is a hype.