Photo

Martin Swig RIP

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 David Birchall

David Birchall

• 3,291 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 00:52

I just learned through a newsletter that Martin Swig, creator of the California Mille and a major mover in California classic cars has died. He was one of the good guys. I only met him once, in 2000 I think, when he came to the tiny island I lived on then to view the 1923 Vauxhall I had for sale. when he called two weeks later to say he would take it I had sold it to somebody else an hour earlier. But I remember Martin Swig as a gentleman and a real enthusiast RIP.
http://www.sportscar...iam-martin-swig

Advertisement

#2 sblick

sblick

• 1,208 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 02:35

I just learned through a newsletter that Martin Swig, creator of the California Mille and a major mover in California classic cars has died. He was one of the good guys. I only met him once, in 2000 I think, when he came to the tiny island I lived on then to view the 1923 Vauxhall I had for sale. when he called two weeks later to say he would take it I had sold it to somebody else an hour earlier. But I remember Martin Swig as a gentleman and a real enthusiast RIP.
http://www.sportscar...iam-martin-swig

Sad. A great car/racing person.

#3 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 11,533 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 09:31

Martin's son David works for Bonhams in California and is a good guy and a most capable Vintage racer. Sincere condolences to him, his family and Martin's many friends.

DCN

#4 Graham Gauld

Graham Gauld

• 1,221 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 10:29

Yes, Martin was quite a character and his parties beside Pebble Beach were legendary. Always cheerful and modest about his achievements. Condolences to his wife and family.

#5 West3

West3

• 146 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 21:44

Very saddened to hear this news.

It's said there are certain experiences, events, cars, etc. that one should not deny oneself before death. That credo should probably include meeting certain people. Martin Swig was most definitely one of those people.

Here is a lovely interview from last year. Highly recommended.

#6 JB Miltonian

JB Miltonian

• 548 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 03:26

Seems like I once saw Martin Swig's son (grandson?) on Antiques Roadshow, with his collection of miniature cars being appraised. The enthusiasm was great.