Photo

What make ?

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Graham Gauld

Graham Gauld

• 1,221 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 08:20

Ok here is one which is probably easy to many but I am not sure. No guesses please either you know or you don't know.

Posted Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Advertisement

#2 fatbaldbloke

fatbaldbloke

• 51 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 10:10

I'm slightly alarmed looking in the background that whatever it is appears to have been towed there behind a Mini.

#3 nicanary

nicanary

• 691 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 10:20

Those who posted on the "Identification help needed" thread regarding Team Tourist Trophy may be interested in the background - the team's transporter together with Bill Aston's Jag Mk2 and Vauxhall VX4/90.

(as for the subject matter - it's obviously not a Lotus, Merlyn, Brabham or Crossle. So I'm wasting time)

#4 fatbaldbloke

fatbaldbloke

• 51 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 11:11

As guesses aren't allowed I won't say Project 4.

#5 DogEarred

DogEarred

• 21,342 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 11:27

Definately a Mk2 Brian James trailer.

Not sure about the racing car though...

#6 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 6,709 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 12:31

Sorry to remain off topic regarding the Team Tourist Trophy transporter but a similar TT insignia can be seem on the back of the TT van 2nd pic down on this link, so I believe it is safe to say Team Tourist Trophy and Tourist Trophy Garage is more than likely one and the same.

#7 alansart

alansart

• 4,419 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 12:43

Can't identify the car but it looks like a support race at a GP Circuit Meeting at Silverstone. The Club Straight being used as a paddock.

Edited by alansart, 08 August 2012 - 12:46.

#8 RWB

RWB

• 116 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 13:30

Those who posted on the "Identification help needed" thread regarding Team Tourist Trophy may be interested in the background - the team's transporter together with Bill Aston's Jag Mk2 and Vauxhall VX4/90.

(as for the subject matter - it's obviously not a Lotus, Merlyn, Brabham or Crossle. So I'm wasting time)

Er...(oh dear) I was about to say Richard Redgrave's Merlyn at the Martini Silverstone 6-7-63 with the Team Tourist Trophy Jaguar and Vauxhall VX490 in the background.

#9 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 6,096 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 14:23

Robert, that may well fit for year. I have a photograph of the same car, which has puzzled me, from a batch which was on e bay a while back, listed as sports racing cars at Aintree in the early 60s. If they are all from the same race, there are Lotus 23s and 11s in there with others. The batch also seems to show the original Rover BRM, possibly a demo run.

The car under query is listed as number 19, in case anyone has the Aintree race entry/results compilations.
Roger Lund

edit. I will try and find it in the Aintree entries/results sheets which i have.
RL

Edited by bradbury west, 08 August 2012 - 14:24.

#10 Simon Hadfield

Simon Hadfield

• 271 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 14:33

It looks very like John Anstice Brown's Rejo Mk6 but the car today is much modified (he ran the car into the 70s) which makes it difficult to be absolutely sure, in which case it is a Merlyn Mk4!

Edited by Simon Hadfield, 08 August 2012 - 14:35.

#11 Graham Gauld

Graham Gauld

• 1,221 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 14:39

It looks very like John Anstice Brown's Rejo Mk6 but the car today is much modified (he ran the car into the 70s) which makes it difficult to be absolutely sure, in which case it is a Merlyn Mk4!

Simon and Robert

I had a feeling it was a Merlyn but could not be sure. Thank you for your help

GG

#12 proviz

proviz

• 723 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 15:06

Graham, I'm pretty sure there's a photo of either this same car or at least of a lookalike in the Autosport issue that had a feature about all Merlyn chassis types to date. I thought it was a 1969 issue, but having browsed through the indexes, apparently not. You may well have the relevant issue (I know I do) - it must be late sixties or very early seventies.

#13 Graham Gauld

Graham Gauld

• 1,221 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 15:49

Graham, I'm pretty sure there's a photo of either this same car or at least of a lookalike in the Autosport issue that had a feature about all Merlyn chassis types to date. I thought it was a 1969 issue, but having browsed through the indexes, apparently not. You may well have the relevant issue (I know I do) - it must be late sixties or very early seventies.

Thanks for that. Afraid my only Autosport references are the first five volumes but I felt sure it was a Merlyn but did not want to jump to conclusions hence the original question.

#14 D-Type

D-Type

• 9,699 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 16:14

Graham,
Do you know what race this photo was taken at? If so Martin Krejci may well have the entry list on his site.

#15 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 6,096 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 17:03

Looking at Motor and A.sport articles on the mk 6 Rejo, I cannot see that it is that car - Arthur Cook raced one too in period. The headlight covers are wrong and the rear deck of the Rejo is low and flat with pronounced brows over the rear wheels, akin to the mk6 Terrier. Remember too that the Rejo had deep pontoons/sponsons down each side, the length of the main cockpit "monocoque", with very shallow dropdown doors let in amidships, presumably to meet group C period regs. Apparently the Rejo's screen failed the spec for group C.
Photos of Merlyn mk4s seem thin on the ground.
Roger Lund

Edit. Anstice Brown ran with an AB reg no. ISTR

Edited by bradbury west, 08 August 2012 - 17:04.

#16 bill p

bill p

• 697 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 17:43

It's a Merlyn Mk4/4a or a special using Merlyn bodywork

See photo of a Mk4a for sale in 2001

Posted Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

#17 RWB

RWB

• 116 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 17:53

...........and my money is still on Richard Redgrave at the Martini Silverstone 6-7-63. Race number agrees.

#18 tonyb

tonyb

• 363 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 08:31

Sorry to remain off topic regarding the Team Tourist Trophy transporter but a similar TT insignia can be seem on the back of the TT van 2nd pic down on this link, so I believe it is safe to say Team Tourist Trophy and Tourist Trophy Garage is more than likely one and the same.

Yes, that is correct. This was John Adams' transporter with Team Tourist Trophy markings during the period of him playing at motor sport from the Tourist Trophy Garage in Farnham that he bought from Winfred Hawthorn in 1959 after Mike Hawthorn died. The transporter may(?) be a Commer, the back end of Adams' white Mk. 2 3.8 (usually moved on a trailer) and the front end of the white VX 4/90 that he raced under TT colours are visible, and the caravan and Jaguar Mk 9 behind the barrier are John Adams' as well. The mechanic and his apprentice who looked after the cars were Jim Wells and apprentice Gerry Baxter (thanks to Brian Taylor for these and many other recollections, he was one of the employees there from 1956-67).

Edited by tonyb, 09 August 2012 - 11:25.

#19 RWB

RWB

• 116 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 08:39

Robert, that may well fit for year. I have a photograph of the same car, which has puzzled me, from a batch which was on e bay a while back, listed as sports racing cars at Aintree in the early 60s. If they are all from the same race, there are Lotus 23s and 11s in there with others. The batch also seems to show the original Rover BRM, possibly a demo run.

The car under query is listed as number 19, in case anyone has the Aintree race entry/results compilations.
Roger Lund

edit. I will try and find it in the Aintree entries/results sheets which i have.
RL

Roger
It's a long shot but Chris Irwin was in a Merlyn number 19 at Aintree 28-9-63. The race included Lotus 11 and 23.

Advertisement

#20 RWB

RWB

• 116 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 08:42

Team Tourist Trophy was run by the owners of Farnham's TT Garage who took over from Hawthorn's mother after Mike's death.

#21 Peter Morley

Peter Morley

• 2,263 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 08:46

Simon and Robert

I had a feeling it was a Merlyn but could not be sure. Thank you for your help

GG

Graham

It is a Merlyn Mark 4, the straight edge on the inside of the upper rear 'wheelarches' is a giveaway and it does have Merlyn wheels.
I used to have the remains of one that has now been restored in the USA - here's a piccie

Posted Image

So I'd agree with RWB's Richard Redgrave.

Peter

#22 pete53

pete53

• 724 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 10:22

...........and my money is still on Richard Redgrave at the Martini Silverstone 6-7-63. Race number agrees.

I would agree, and, the gloomy damp weather would back that up as I am pretty sure the Martini race was run in wet weather that year, leading to the obvious "wet Martini " puns in race reports the following week.

#23 JtP1

JtP1

• 753 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 11:00

I'm slightly alarmed looking in the background that whatever it is appears to have been towed there behind a Mini.

Nothing unusual in that at that time. Trailer and towing rules were considerably less stringent then, like virtually non existent. Hope that it is at least a 997 Cooper as there might be a slight chance of the brakes slowing the setup rather than relying on single leading shoe drums.

#24 BRG

BRG

• 25,893 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 18:43

Hope that it is at least a 997 Cooper as there might be a slight chance of the brakes slowing the setup rather than relying on single leading shoe drums.

Hmm, I think I would rather rely on drums than those little milk-bottle top 997 discs.....

#25 larryd

larryd

• 676 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 21:39

Nothing unusual in that at that time. Trailer and towing rules were considerably less stringent then, like virtually non existent. Hope that it is at least a 997 Cooper as there might be a slight chance of the brakes slowing the setup rather than relying on single leading shoe drums.

Many years ago we rallied a 998 Cooper.

First thing we did, after our opening event, was to instal a set of "S" discs . . . . . . . . . . .

We were lucky to survive so long

:rolleyes: