Photo

4 CNO

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 AAGR

AAGR

• 397 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 15:31

A dear neighbour of mine has just shown me some pictures of a two-seater racing sports car, circa 1955 (?), which may - or may not - have Tony Brooks behind the wheel. These pictures are taken in the paddock of a British motor racing circuit.

The registration number is 4 CNO. and it looks as if it could be a Cooper-Bristol - but I don't know it.

Can anyone tell me more ?

AAGR

Advertisement

#2 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,742 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 15:43

Martin Krejci's site has 4 CNO as a Lister-Bristol, c/n BHL4, owned by Bill Black. Driven by Jack Sears to 19th (and last) in the 1955 Empire Trophy:

http://wsrp.ic.cz/intgb1955.html#1

#3 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,581 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 16:05

Photos and more details here:

http://books.google....-...cno&f=false

#4 nicanary

nicanary

• 691 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 16:14

Jack and Tony both had similar brown crash hats, so the confusion is understandable.

#5 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,581 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 16:33

As mentioned in the Google Books link I posted above to Graham Gauld's biography of Jack Sears, 4 CNO has been owned and raced in recent years by Barry Wood, and it has also been raced by Graham's son Lance. Here's Barry at the 2009 Goodwood Revival:

http://www.flickr.co...rth/3988227702/

There's another photo on this page showing the registration number (you'll need to scroll down a bit):

http://www.sportscar...lts-and-photos/

#6 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,581 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 16:47

... and there's more in this earlier thread:

Lister-Bristols

including these reminiscences from a couple of TNFers:

When Jack Sears vaulted over the 'safety bank' at Silverstone in 1954 (?) it was young Eric Dunsdon and myself who stared death in the face, as the Lister stopped a couple of feet short of where we stood. I reminded Jack of this incident and he apologised for scaring two lads in succh a fashion.

bauble.

PS; I did not have time to take a snap.

A drawing of Jack Sears rolling that Lister is the the first thing I ever had published, in 'Motor Racing' magazine, at the start of 1964. :blush:

DCN

#7 AAGR

AAGR

• 397 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 20:39

... and there's more in this earlier thread:

Lister-Bristols

including these reminiscences from a couple of TNFers:

Gentlemen - many thanks. Neighbour is delighted to get such a speedy and authoritative response.

AAGR

#8 Bauble

Bauble

• 1,040 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 14:27

A drawing of Jack Sears rolling that Lister is the the first thing I ever had published, in 'Motor Racing' magazine, at the start of 1964.

DCN

Blimey Doug, you don't 'alf draw slow mate!

#9 Rupertlt1

Rupertlt1

• 3,038 posts

Posted 17 January 2015 - 09:47

Here:

https://revslib.stan...log/th216xy2546

RGDS RLT

#10 Sharman

Sharman

• 5,284 posts

Posted 17 January 2015 - 09:55

Picture reminds me what a blasted heath Snet was/is.

#11 nicanary

nicanary

• 691 posts

Posted 17 January 2015 - 12:59

Picture reminds me what a blasted heath Snet was/is.

It was my local circuit as a lad, and I equally froze to rigidity or burned to a crisp depending on the conditions. Open to the elements it was indeed, although as others have mentioned, most airfield circuits had that problem. Something to do with B17s and B24s needing a LOT of space to manage their duties.

#12 Mallory Dan

Mallory Dan

• 3,118 posts

Posted 17 January 2015 - 20:41

It was my local circuit as a lad, and I equally froze to rigidity or burned to a crisp depending on the conditions. Open to the elements it was indeed, although as others have mentioned, most airfield circuits had that problem. Something to do with B17s and B24s needing a LOT of space to manage their duties.

Chevrons or Boeings NIC? Good day at Carra today...

#13 nicanary

nicanary

• 691 posts

Posted 18 January 2015 - 11:56

Chevrons or Boeings NIC? Good day at Carra today...

:lol:  Boeing/Consolidated . My brother was at Carra yesterday, and used an analogy for the result which cannot be retold on a "family" website. Twas to do with young ladies and their undergarments.

Just reflecting on airfield circuits, and musing about why racing didn't develop in the Lincolnshire area, but presumably the airfields were still active from the RAF point of view.

#14 BRG

BRG

• 25,883 posts

Posted 18 January 2015 - 22:53

Just reflecting on airfield circuits, and musing about why racing didn't develop in the Lincolnshire area, but presumably the airfields were still active from the RAF point of view.

Certainly many remained in use, but equally many were disused  & I have rallied on quite a few of those.  Why none became regular racing venues is a bit of a mystery, although belatedly Blyton has become a motor sport centre (karts, rallycross, trackdays). 

#15 Derwent Motorsport

Derwent Motorsport

• 858 posts

Posted 19 January 2015 - 10:03

Blyton is an MSA licenced sprint circuit as well. :clap:

#16 D-Type

D-Type

• 9,698 posts

Posted 19 January 2015 - 15:53

~

They were also a relatively long way from centres of population.  As is Snetterton!

#17 nicanary

nicanary

• 691 posts

Posted 19 January 2015 - 16:30

They were also a relatively long way from centres of population.  As is Snetterton!

Yes, I was thinking that myself. No motorway even today in Norfolk.

#18 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 6,708 posts

Posted 19 January 2015 - 23:54

Yes, I was thinking that myself. No motorway even today in Norfolk.

Is there a TNF thread on A11 Nostalgia ? :lol:

#19 nicanary

nicanary

• 691 posts

Posted 20 January 2015 - 12:07

Is there a TNF thread on A11 Nostalgia ? :lol:

It was a bit scary cycling to Snetterton from Norwich on my Haddon 3-speed tourer with Norfolk Line artics passing me about 18 inches away! Even worse on the return journey if it was late in the year, dusk falling as my route was lit by the flickering power of the hub dynamo.

Parenting was different in those days - you learned the hard way. Nostalgia indeed.

Advertisement

#20 DogEarred

DogEarred

• 21,304 posts

Posted 20 January 2015 - 12:27

I believe the A11 dual carriageway work should be finished by now.

It's a breeze! Civilisation has reached Norfolk! Snetterton now officially exists...

#21 carrotcruncher

carrotcruncher

• 100 posts

Posted 25 January 2015 - 12:09

D-type,

thank you for mentioning SNETTERTON,it was my first experience of racing of all types in the late 1960s,and remains my "local" circuit today.

Why others call it the blasted heath I've no idea. The sun always shines except when it rains,and even then you get a tan from the wind! As to our A11,some of the more insular among us say that it's bad 'cos its opens East Anglia up to the rest of the country,I  think its great that more enthusiasts will now be able to get onto the M11/A11 then set their cruise controls(or whatever they're called, they're not fitted to our tractors )and see what an excellent circuit we enjoy courtesy MSV and Mr Palmer.

Seriously though its a great place, and when you do visit remember to bring everything you need to protect yourself against the British weather.

Snowshoes are not mandatory but advisable in early march/april and late season.

Regards to all TNF'ers

safe driving carrotcruncher  :up: :D                              

Edited by carrotcruncher, 25 January 2015 - 12:10.

#22 Sharman

Sharman

• 5,284 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 22:00

In the 50s the seasons opener was usually the CUAC sprint, which for a couple of years was held at Snet in March Brrrrr!

#23 Salsin

Salsin

• 22 posts

Posted 22 September 2018 - 22:57

Re. 4 CNO, could someone please check an entry list for the Silverstone 6-hr. relay race August 1970. I have a B/W photo of car 27D bearing this reg. no. passing the pits trailing smoke from near-side rear. Is it entered as a Lister-Bristol, if so it didn't (in 1970) have the prominent tail fins as shown in the 2009 Goodwood Revival pic.

(For some unknown reason, all the other frames on that film (taken by me) have been logged as to driver and car, but not this particular frame. As I am now scanning all my old negs. I would like to be able to identify this one correctly.)

The name David Muirhead comes to mind, not sure why?? But would he have been the driver in 1970??

Hope someone can help. Thanks

Mike Dodman

#24 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,581 posts

Posted 24 September 2018 - 04:47

I’ve dug out the race report by Ian Phillips in Autosport, but it provides only one slight clue. The results show the Historic Bristols Team (C. Warwick-Drake, D. van Rossen, D. Muirhead, M. Bowler) finishing in joint 14th place. There’s a photo showing Michael Bowler driving his Frazer Nash Sebring carrying #27E.

So David Muirhead was competing, in a car (presumably) carrying #27, but no clue as to whether it was 4 CNO.

#25 Roger Clark

Roger Clark

• 7,500 posts

Posted 24 September 2018 - 17:57

MN said that the Historic Bristol team consisted of: a Frazer Nash Targa for Robin Church, a similar Sebring for Michael "Roller" Bowler, while Chris Drake and Peter van Rosen had their Lotus Mk10s, David Muirhead had his Lister, the last two cars being maintained by Radlett's Ken Rogers.  Early in the first hour: "David Moorhead's Lister replaced Peter van Rosen's Lotus.    Sometime in the third hour: "Peter van Rosen brought a smoking Lotus 10 into the pits to let Michael Bowler's beloved Frazer Nash take over the sash".

#26 Salsin

Salsin

• 22 posts

Posted 11 October 2018 - 22:06

Thank you to Tim and Roger. I think I can safely assume that it was David Muirhead in car 27D.

Mike Dodman.