Photo

Which drivers would you hire if you were a team boss?

• Please log in to reply
71 replies to this topic

Poll: Who would be your lead driver if you were a team boss and had the budget to sign who you wanted? (332 member(s) have cast votes)

Which driver would you sign up first as a team boss with unlimited budget?

1. Sebastian Vettel (19 votes [5.72%])

Percentage of vote: 5.72%

2. Mark Webber (1 votes [0.30%])

Percentage of vote: 0.30%

3. Jenson Button (7 votes [2.11%])

Percentage of vote: 2.11%

4. Lewis Hamilton (66 votes [19.88%])

Percentage of vote: 19.88%

5. Fernando Alonso (137 votes [41.27%])

Percentage of vote: 41.27%

6. Felipe Massa (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

7. Michael Schumacher (19 votes [5.72%])

8. Nico Rosberg (1 votes [0.30%])

9. Kimi Räikkönen (68 votes [20.48%])

Percentage of vote: 20.48%

10. Romain Grosjean (0 votes [0.00%])

11. Paul Di Resta (0 votes [0.00%])

12. Nico Hülkenberg (1 votes [0.30%])

13. Sergio Pérez (5 votes [1.51%])

Percentage of vote: 1.51%

14. Kamui Kobayashi (2 votes [0.60%])

Percentage of vote: 0.60%

15. Pastor Maldonado (1 votes [0.30%])

16. Bruno Senna (1 votes [0.30%])

17. Jean-Ã?ric Vergne (0 votes [0.00%])

18. Daniel Ricciardo (0 votes [0.00%])

19. Heikki Kovalainen (0 votes [0.00%])

20. Other (4 votes [1.20%])

Percentage of vote: 1.20%

Which team combination would be ideal (selected alternatives due to poll space)

1. Vettel/Webber (1 votes [0.30%])

2. Button/Hamilton (6 votes [1.81%])

Percentage of vote: 1.81%

3. Alonso/Vettel (19 votes [5.72%])

4. Alonso/Button (24 votes [7.23%])

Percentage of vote: 7.23%

5. Alonso/Hamilton (53 votes [15.96%])

Percentage of vote: 15.96%

6. Alonso/Webber (16 votes [4.82%])

Percentage of vote: 4.82%

7. Alonso/Räikkönen (54 votes [16.27%])

Percentage of vote: 16.27%

8. Vettel/Hamilton (5 votes [1.51%])

Percentage of vote: 1.51%

9. Vettel/Button (8 votes [2.41%])

Percentage of vote: 2.41%

10. Vettel/Räikkönen (41 votes [12.35%])

Percentage of vote: 12.35%

11. Webber/Räikkönen (4 votes [1.20%])

12. Hamilton/Räikkönen (39 votes [11.75%])

Percentage of vote: 11.75%

13. Button/Webber (1 votes [0.30%])

14. Hamilton/Webber (3 votes [0.90%])

Percentage of vote: 0.90%

15. I'd rather have a proven podium contender alongside my star (30 votes [9.04%])

Percentage of vote: 9.04%

16. I'd have a second driver who was no threat at all (6 votes [1.81%])

Percentage of vote: 1.81%

17. I'd rather have somebody else than the current Top 6 as lead driver (18 votes [5.42%])

Percentage of vote: 5.42%

18. I didn't understand the question (4 votes [1.20%])

Which attributes would be MOST important when hiring your driver (recommend no more than FIVE answers)?

1. Previous World Champions (121 votes [11.48%])

Percentage of vote: 11.48%

2. One-lap speed (128 votes [12.14%])

Percentage of vote: 12.14%

3. Proven team leader (#1 credentials) (117 votes [11.10%])

Percentage of vote: 11.10%

4. Ability to avoid trouble on track (150 votes [14.23%])

Percentage of vote: 14.23%

5. Tyre preservation skills (104 votes [9.87%])

Percentage of vote: 9.87%

6. Wet weather prowess (75 votes [7.12%])

Percentage of vote: 7.12%

7. Past track record of getting on with team mates (40 votes [3.80%])

Percentage of vote: 3.80%

8. Being marketable (62 votes [5.88%])

Percentage of vote: 5.88%

9. Would rather bring points home than risk crashing (84 votes [7.97%])

Percentage of vote: 7.97%

10. Being a demon overtaker (90 votes [8.54%])

Percentage of vote: 8.54%

11. Being a driver with no track record of criticising the team (27 votes [2.56%])

Percentage of vote: 2.56%

12. I have no particular concerns about such aspects (55 votes [5.22%])

Percentage of vote: 5.22%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 jeze

jeze

• 2,973 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 13:38

Let's say that all F1 drivers were out of work and you were blessed with £30 million from let's say the Ferrari or the Mercedes board to hire the best driver available + a suitable sidekick for possibly the same money but with your bosses informing you that the two team-mates were expected to gel between one another and not cause any trouble whatsoever.

Who would you hire? And would you prioritize a single star driver or like to have a super team with two drivers that could take money from each other but bring media exposure and a better chance of WCC. Or is WDC so important that you'd put all your eggs in one basket (like Ferrari did with Schumacher). Rule 1 is that the owner expects you to win a championship and it's likely that your car is not better than your poorer opponents, so you really need a special driver to achieve something here (hence putting aside emotion). This is about your job as team principal not about who crashed into who in Japan some year or something...

I reckon this poll is a bit more original, has some more flair and will last longer than the third "who is your favourite driver" poll inside a month. Please no fanboyism now, this is intended as a poll and NOT as a "who did what at McLaren in 2007-thread". There's already one for that.

My choice would be Alonso together with Räikkönen. Both have won championships and Kimi wouldn't try and be political and just focus on his job on track. They also have relatively similar patterns in terms of being better races than qualifiers which is more important than previously. For raw Saturday pace Vettel and Hamilton would be ideal, but there's a huge risk for a personality clash with those two younger guys with a fair bit of temperament in them. In general I'd like to have drivers that are above 30 because of their experience and cool heads in race situations, especially Alonso and Kimi, who are both very good at bringing cars home. As an extra bonus, Alonso is super-consistent while Kimi seems much better in that aspect now than when he was at Ferrari.

The second poll on ideal team pairing is selected by myself on which drivers that are widely regarded as the top drivers. This is a strategical decision just as much as the first driver since they are supposed to be able to work together.

The ultimate question is not whoever is your favourite driver, just who would you hire. I'm not picking Alonso and Räikkönen because they're Ferrari stars of past and present, rather because I think they'd be a workable team-mate combination and still be freaky fast on Sundays.

This is definitely the most complicated and most thought-out thread I've started so I hope I don't get slagged off :wave:

Be friendly and nice to each other now :kiss:

Edited by jeze, 10 September 2012 - 13:49.

Advertisement

#2 DampMongoose

DampMongoose

• 2,258 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 13:52

With a perspective closer to Mclaren mentality rather than the more dramatic Ferrari background, I would want a number 1 driver capable of driving with minmal fuss and nonsense, someone who just gets on with it like a lightbulb (plug him in and he does the job) while obviously capable of the required results, with a good car. So I would have Rosberg with a proven podium finisher who is perhaps a bit more mature in years who would be capable of backing him up where necessary and hopefully take a win or two down the line, so Webber or Button would be my obvious choices.

#3 jeze

jeze

• 2,973 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 13:58

A bit of a surprise that just one person would sign Vettel first... I know he's not the most popular driver around here, but if Alonso wasn't my lead driver, I'd go right to Vettel.

Since my bosses would tell me not to risk infighting I'd decide against them as team-mates, but of course I'd love to see them drive together for Ferrari in real life, since I don't have to deal with their egos :p

#4 DaddyCool

DaddyCool

• 1,802 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 13:59

Interesting poll.

Voted Vettel + Vettel / Raikkonen btw.

#5 Disgrace

Disgrace

• 31,245 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 14:15

I believe Alonso and Hamilton are the best two drivers, and that the combination could work given a second chance. The only sticking point previously was Dennis who is pretty much gone, so it could even work at McLaren now.

#6 xman

xman

• 853 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 14:24

Depends on which team boss...

However, voted Räikkönen + Vettel/Räikkönen.

I think they could be a dream pairing, they get along very well and aren't very political, and depending on team, they would probably get even treatment.

Alonso/Räikkönen at Ferrari would be a disaster, Ferrari as a team is so emotional and completely wrapped around Alonso. Räikkönen would struggle to get the car suitable to his needs and the car development would be directed more towards Alonso's wishes.
So maybe from Alonso's viewpoint that would be good, but Kimi could throw his WDC hopes goodbye.

#7 motorhead

motorhead

• 1,563 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 14:26

Alonso/Raikkonen for me...

#8 jeze

jeze

• 2,973 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 14:30

I believe Alonso and Hamilton are the best two drivers, and that the combination could work given a second chance. The only sticking point previously was Dennis who is pretty much gone, so it could even work at McLaren now.

I guess the relationship between both those guys and Whitmarsh aren't tip-top though ;)

But no team principal would take that chance, which is a bit unfortunate for fans out there. As a TV viewer it'd be a tremendous battle to see Hamilton trying to drag the Ferrari to remarkable qualifying results this season and then see Alonso catch up on Sundays. If Mika Salo's saying is true that Ferrari want Massa or Kovalainen for one year only we might see a similar scenario between Alonso and Vettel in 2014.

To have two of the four biggest stars in the same team would be a huge boost for the sport, regardless of outcome. The prospect of Ferrari fielding a "dream team" for the first time since Prost-Mansell would be huge news for everybody, including FOM and Bernie. Nothing gets more attention to the sport than two world famous drivers battling for the title in the same team. With the cars this close it probably can't be Prost-Senna epic proportions since other drivers would have their days too, but regardless of how you rate Button and Webber, there is the preconcepted perception among fans that those are good but not great drivers. Kimi has not really achieved anymore than Jenson looking at the numbers, but still has the image of an all-time great among fans and is still delivering on track which helps that out. Since Schumacher hasn't done that, he's lost that aura now - even though he's a very popular name, all people would expect anyone of the top drivers to beat him these days. Whether he's too old or suffering from the three years without a car is another matter. Kimi did rallying and NASCAR after all when he was out.

#9 Dino2000

Dino2000

• 99 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 14:32

I voted Alonso and Alonso/Hamilton, even if I am not sure that it would work, it would be as historical as the Prost/Senna pairing, the Clark/Hill or the Villeneuve/Pironi...

#10 ANF

ANF

• 29,232 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 14:35

RAI + BUT

#11 undersquare

undersquare

• 18,929 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 14:40

I wouldn't have Sebi, that guy would be poison in a team unless he has the best car. No coincidence Webbo can't stand him IMO.

Lewis/Nando is tempting, in a blue-touch-paper kind of way. They are both teammate-crushers so I think it would get too intense though.

I'd have the fastest driver - Hamilton - who can still be gracious when he's beaten, with a definite No2 who can still win on his day - Rosberg.

#12 icewest07

icewest07

• 220 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 14:48

I wouldn't have Sebi, that guy would be poison in a team unless he has the best car. No coincidence Webbo can't stand him IMO.

Lewis/Nando is tempting, in a blue-touch-paper kind of way. They are both teammate-crushers so I think it would get too intense though.

I'd have the fastest driver - Hamilton - who can still be gracious when he's beaten, with a definite No2 who can still win on his day - Rosberg.

Then why not stick with the current McLaren pairing.. ? For me Jenson and Rosberg are just the same type of driver all around : fast and reliable!

As for me I would go for Raikkonen even if I'd be tempted to sign Lewis!
And for the pairing, I voted RAI+HAM, but would also love to see a VET+RAI or HAM+ALO...

Nice poll by the way :up:

#13 FirstWatt

FirstWatt

• 1,073 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 15:00

I'd rather say to pair up Alonso+Button.
Alo is a Master, quick with any halfway reasonable car, gets out the most from any situation, car, tyre, whatever.
Button the best just behind my three "Masters": Alo, Rai, Ham.
Button is reliable, solid, a "nice guy" and intelligent enough not to get into a war with the teammate.

RAI or HAM are "Masters" too, that's why I would never pair up Ham+Alo or Rai+Alo.

#14 Collective

Collective

• 1,522 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 15:00

What's the budget?

If unlimited, I'd got with ALO and RAI.

#15 korzeniow

korzeniow

• 5,671 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 15:07

I'd rather say to pair up Alonso+Button.
Alo is a Master, quick with any halfway reasonable car, gets out the most from any situation, car, tyre, whatever.
Button the best just behind my three "Masters": Alo, Rai, Ham.
Button is reliable, solid, a "nice guy" and intelligent enough not to get into a war with the teammate.

RAI or HAM are "Masters" too, that's why I would never pair up Ham+Alo or Rai+Alo.

Not for half of 2012 season

#16 pingu666

pingu666

• 9,272 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 15:08

kurt busch + simon pagenou

#17 seahawk

seahawk

• 3,132 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 15:09

First choice would be Alonso. I am no fan of him, but currently he offers the best combination of speed, intelligence and team building skills.

Second choice would be Lewis. The fastest driver but not as mature yet.

Third choice Kimi. Fast, clever but there is always a slight risk that he loses interest.

Fourth choice Button. Fast when he likes the car. Clever and will bring points home.

However I would not put them (or Vettel) in a team with a driver of that class. It will always end in infighting.

So second driver choice would be Perez or Hülkenberg.

So my preferred line-up would be Alonso /Hülkenberg. (Hülkenberg because 2 drivers with a latino temper are not a good idea)

#18 BigCHrome

BigCHrome

• 4,049 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 15:11

Hamilton / Schumi

The two most talented drivers of the last 30 years together, both of whom have great marketability, excitement and are proven winners even when the car is average.

#19 Paul Parker

Paul Parker

• 2,198 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 15:12

I would choose one of the best drivers and a young upcoming one with plenty of future potential.

A perfect choice for me would be Alonso or Button and Ricciardo, thus avoiding the obvious pitfalls of having two equal or near equal status drivers who far from complementing each other end up polarising their team and detracting from each driver's potential. This can be witnessed at McLaren where neither driver appears to be in sync with the other, when Hamilton is dominant Button is often struggling and sometimes vice versa.

Alonso needs no further commendations (but probably would not react well to a quick team mate as others have noted so a relative 'newcomer' would be desirable anyway) and whilst some will undoubtedly object to Button, the fact is that with a consistently sorted car and inter team stability he is as good as anybody plus he is also very well liked generally (as evident by the many other team members and pit personnel who congratulated him as he cruised down the Spa pitlane after winning the Belgian GP), reliable, an excellent ambassador and rarely crashes anything.

This good will factor is very important not only for image and PR but also helps create co-operation rather than opposition at all levels.

Advertisement

#20 Raifosa

Raifosa

• 495 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 15:13

Kimi - Lewis
equal terms with a 'no rallying' clause for Kimi & 'no twitter' for Lewis

#21 Jimisgod

Jimisgod

• 4,954 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 15:16

Alonso and Kimi sounds nice, but Kimi was unsettled by Massa, and I feel Alonso and Kimi would fall into a deep psychological battle.

#22 BigCHrome

BigCHrome

• 4,049 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 15:17

To have two of the four biggest stars in the same team would be a huge boost for the sport, regardless of outcome. The prospect of Ferrari fielding a "dream team" for the first time since Prost-Mansell would be huge news for everybody, including FOM and Bernie. Nothing gets more attention to the sport than two world famous drivers battling for the title in the same team. With the cars this close it probably can't be Prost-Senna epic proportions since other drivers would have their days too, but regardless of how you rate Button and Webber, there is the preconcepted perception among fans that those are good but not great drivers. Kimi has not really achieved anymore than Jenson looking at the numbers, but still has the image of an all-time great among fans and is still delivering on track which helps that out. Since Schumacher hasn't done that, he's lost that aura now - even though he's a very popular name, all people would expect anyone of the top drivers to beat him these days. Whether he's too old or suffering from the three years without a car is another matter. Kimi did rallying and NASCAR after all when he was out.

I don't think so. I think it's good for the sport that there are 3-4 teams now which all have fast cars and competent drivers and anyone of them can win given the right conditions.

If Vettel leaves, I wouldn't be surprised if the RBR empire crumbles.

#23 korzeniow

korzeniow

• 5,671 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 15:20

First choice would be Alonso. I am no fan of him, but currently he offers the best combination of speed, intelligence and team building skills.

Second choice would be Lewis. The fastest driver but not as mature yet.

Third choice Kimi. Fast, clever but there is always a slight risk that he loses interest.

Fourth choice Button. Fast when he likes the car. Clever and will bring points home.

However I would not put them (or Vettel) in a team with a driver of that class. It will always end in infighting.

So second driver choice would be Perez or Hülkenberg.

So my preferred line-up would be Alonso /Hülkenberg. (Hülkenberg because 2 drivers with a latino temper are not a good idea)

Yes I agree, Button is very smart driver. But there are even more clever around: http://www.dailymoti...t?search_algo=2

Nevermind the quality, this is example of the mose clever thing I saw in F1 in recent years.

Rosberg let Button trough because he knew there is DRS zone, and then overtook Button. :clap:

#24 FirstWatt

FirstWatt

• 1,073 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 15:21

Not for half of 2012 season

That's a bit harsh. Barcelona till Silverstone, 5 races.
And he managed to come back.

#25 bourbon

bourbon

• 7,265 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 15:35

Alonso and Piquet Jr., with Piquet Jr. the #1 driver.

Then after Alonso stormed out, I would then assist Piquet Jr. to find another seat in a sport where he deserved a fighting chance and get the best: Kimi and Seb. :D. Down the line, if either decided to leave the sport, I would bring in Perez.

Edited by bourbon, 10 September 2012 - 16:33.

#26 undersquare

undersquare

• 18,929 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 15:42

Then why not stick with the current McLaren pairing.. ? For me Jenson and Rosberg are just the same type of driver all around : fast and reliable!

As for me I would go for Raikkonen even if I'd be tempted to sign Lewis!
And for the pairing, I voted RAI+HAM, but would also love to see a VET+RAI or HAM+ALO...

I think the Lewis/Jenson lovefest is well and truly over now. When we saw them together after Monza Qualy, after JB's 'disappointed' comment over the telemetry tweet, it looked pretty frosty I thought.

On top of which for 'my' team it'd work much better to have only one Brit.

#27 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 15:45

Let's say that all F1 drivers were out of work and you were blessed with £30 million from let's say the Ferrari or the Mercedes board to hire the best driver available + a suitable sidekick for possibly the same money but with your bosses informing you that the two team-mates were expected to gel between one another and not cause any trouble whatsoever.

Who would you hire? And would you prioritize a single star driver or like to have a super team with two drivers that could take money from each other but bring media exposure and a better chance of WCC. Or is WDC so important that you'd put all your eggs in one basket (like Ferrari did with Schumacher). Rule 1 is that the owner expects you to win a championship and it's likely that your car is not better than your poorer opponents, so you really need a special driver to achieve something here (hence putting aside emotion). This is about your job as team principal not about who crashed into who in Japan some year or something...

I reckon this poll is a bit more original, has some more flair and will last longer than the third "who is your favourite driver" poll inside a month. Please no fanboyism now, this is intended as a poll and NOT as a "who did what at McLaren in 2007-thread". There's already one for that.

My choice would be Alonso together with Räikkönen. Both have won championships and Kimi wouldn't try and be political and just focus on his job on track. They also have relatively similar patterns in terms of being better races than qualifiers which is more important than previously. For raw Saturday pace Vettel and Hamilton would be ideal, but there's a huge risk for a personality clash with those two younger guys with a fair bit of temperament in them. In general I'd like to have drivers that are above 30 because of their experience and cool heads in race situations, especially Alonso and Kimi, who are both very good at bringing cars home. As an extra bonus, Alonso is super-consistent while Kimi seems much better in that aspect now than when he was at Ferrari.

The second poll on ideal team pairing is selected by myself on which drivers that are widely regarded as the top drivers. This is a strategical decision just as much as the first driver since they are supposed to be able to work together.

The ultimate question is not whoever is your favourite driver, just who would you hire. I'm not picking Alonso and Räikkönen because they're Ferrari stars of past and present, rather because I think they'd be a workable team-mate combination and still be freaky fast on Sundays.

This is definitely the most complicated and most thought-out thread I've started so I hope I don't get slagged off :wave:

Be friendly and nice to each other now :kiss:

OK, that's fun. I am assuming you are about in September, and where are you with your car development and a second driver in relationship to a points leading team? To add, since Michael is there, I mm assuming we are talking only about next year.

Edited by Sakae, 10 September 2012 - 15:47.

#28 Antti

Antti

• 398 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 15:52

Alonso with Kovalainen. Alonso will not take direct challenge and Kovalainen would make a solid second.

Antti

#29 jeze

jeze

• 2,973 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 15:53

I don't think so. I think it's good for the sport that there are 3-4 teams now which all have fast cars and competent drivers and anyone of them can win given the right conditions.

If Vettel leaves, I wouldn't be surprised if the RBR empire crumbles.

You know I can't recall a single season that got more mainstream press than 2007 during my lifetime, because the Alonso/Hamilton rivalry got so intense and there was Spygate and Kimi snatching the championship from the jaws of defeat. That season would be a way more interesting movie than anything Lauda and Hunt ever produced.

It's really good for Formula 1 when team mates are bitter rivals and fighting between each other. I think it's also the main reason why so many people hold Senna above Schumacher (I don't though) that he had his epic battles with Prost driving the same car. That was when the myth started.

To have this scenario at Ferrari of all teams with two superstar drivers with multiple titles going head to head would be something that would occupy the mainstream sport pages for ages. And all PR is good PR for the sport. It was the same when Schumacher decided not to continue, which robbed us of a Schumacher/Räikkönen showdown at Michael's territory, now that would've been interesting to see how he'd reacted having to race a driver that was so highly rated at the time. The media would've had a wankfest like never seen before had we had Alonso/Hamilton and Schumacher/Räikkönen as team-mates the same season. We'll probably never come that close to two dream teams ever again, but my word that would've been fireworks!

#30 DarkknightRises

DarkknightRises

• 329 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 15:54

i hv no idea why hamilton is labeled as fastest driver when he has been driving a winning car all the time?? With such error prone, and inconsistency, i rather opt for Alonso + Kimi or kimi+vettel !!

#31 DarkknightRises

DarkknightRises

• 329 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 15:56

Alonso and Kimi sounds nice, but Kimi was unsettled by Massa, and I feel Alonso and Kimi would fall into a deep psychological battle.

unsettled by massa?? rather kimi was having a tough year in 2008 when a few of his wins results in unfortunate event!! Canada, France, Belgium~~~

Canada - some wooden eye crash into him from the pitlane

France - exhaust pipe failure

SPa- raining on last lap, wrong tyre, no grip = crash

Edited by DarkknightRises, 10 September 2012 - 15:58.

#32 Schumacher7

Schumacher7

• 776 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 16:05

Alonso to win me the WDC and Schumacher as a good number two with great publicity to help win the WCC.

#33 SpaMaster

SpaMaster

• 5,856 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 16:09

Or is WDC so important that you'd put all your eggs in one basket (like Ferrari did with Schumacher).

I don't think this is necessarily right. One could argue that having two drivers fight for championship increases your odds of winning the championship. Red Bull did exactly that in 2010. You don't necessarily bring the best out of a second driver who is clearly told to play second fiddle. In that case, it is just a case of lot of lost WCC points. Actually, as much as I hear about not wanting drivers to take points of each other, I can't think of default no.2 drivers helping no.1 drivers win championships that prominently. Ferraris were dominant cars, and on the other hand, both McLaren and Williams have shown many times in the past how you can win championships by letting both the drivers compete freely. Not picking on you or anything. I think this is a good thread. I just wanted to make this point.

PS: After reading your last line, I wanted to stress that this was not meant to be critical of you. Just a general point that I wanted to get across. :p

Edited by SpaMaster, 10 September 2012 - 16:21.

#34 KavB

KavB

• 1,592 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 16:12

I think an Alonso/Vettel line up is virtually guaranteed to bring at least one title home. The line up I'd like to see most, however, is Raikkonen/Alonso followed by Raikkonen/Vettel.

#35 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 16:17

i hv no idea why hamilton is labeled as fastest driver when he has been driving a winning car all the time?? With such error prone, and inconsistency, i rather opt for Alonso + Kimi or kimi+vettel !!

Kimi with Sebastian at M-AMG in 2014 would be very pleasing news to my ears.

Edited by Sakae, 10 September 2012 - 16:18.

#36 BillBald

BillBald

• 5,818 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 16:20

Yes I agree, Button is very smart driver. But there are even more clever around: http://www.dailymoti...t?search_algo=2

Nevermind the quality, this is example of the mose clever thing I saw in F1 in recent years.

Rosberg let Button trough because he knew there is DRS zone, and then overtook Button. :clap:

I've seen Rosberg do that same thing at least 3 times that I can think of. Not sure why other drivers don't do it more.

Of course you need a suitable DRS zone, one which makes an overtake almost certain.

#37 Woody3says

Woody3says

• 426 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 16:23

What's the budget?

If unlimited, I'd got with ALO and RAI.

My picks

kurt busch + simon pagenou

Oh you devil you! That would be a stellar lineup too :lol: Lets have a rolling rotation of Kyle and Kurt in one car and Simon and Seabass in the other..........put Paul Tracy in charge of the radio and let the sparks fly :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

#38 TurboF1

TurboF1

• 748 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 16:30

Definitely a Hamilton Raikkonen pairing at McLaren would be perfect for me, both from the fact that with those drivers I'd have 2 proven world champions, both excel at all the criteria I give priority to, and both would just race and get on with the job with no political bs to have to deal with. I'd prefer this over Hamilton/Alonso purely on the fact that I wouldnt have to deal with Fernandos need to assert himself as #1 and not have to deal with any fireworks when his teammate is allowed to beat him. Mind you, this is NOT a jab against Fernando, as his method is very effective and he is ridiculously talented and has earned his "#1" status on more than one occasion, but its not the best way to go about winning the WCC as well. I'd rather have 2 drivers capable of mounting their own WDC bids than 1.

#39 Disgrace

Disgrace

• 31,245 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 16:36

I guess the relationship between both those guys and Whitmarsh aren't tip-top though ;)

But no team principal would take that chance, which is a bit unfortunate for fans out there. As a TV viewer it'd be a tremendous battle to see Hamilton trying to drag the Ferrari to remarkable qualifying results this season and then see Alonso catch up on Sundays. If Mika Salo's saying is true that Ferrari want Massa or Kovalainen for one year only we might see a similar scenario between Alonso and Vettel in 2014.

:up:

Any line-up comprising solely of ALO/HAM/VET/RAI probably achieve very similar results. I'm pretty sure two number one drivers can fit in the same team given the right management that was lacking in McLaren in '07, the last time we saw such a line-up of epic proportions.

Edited by Disgrace, 10 September 2012 - 16:38.

Advertisement

#40 hammibal

hammibal

• 1,857 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 16:40

That could be the Mercedes pairing next year :eek:

Kimi - Lewis
equal terms with a 'no rallying' clause for Kimi & 'no twitter' for Lewis

:lol:

That's a bit harsh. Barcelona till Silverstone, 5 races.
And he managed to come back.

Come back where?

Maybe because more often than not he outqualifies his teammate whoever that might be

unsettled by massa?? rather kimi was having a tough year in 2008 when a few of his wins results in unfortunate event!! Canada, France, Belgium~~~

Canada - some wooden eye crash into him from the pitlane

France - exhaust pipe failure

SPa- raining on last lap, wrong tyre, no grip = crash

Massa was beating Kimi in 2009 as well

#41 crooky369

crooky369

• 628 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 16:41

No point having two amazing drivers if you want to win a drivers championship they'll just end up taking points off each either. (see 2007) So my choice would be Alonso as number 1 driver for obvious reasons and Button as my second driver as I don't think he's good enough to trouble Fernando on most days but he's still very quick and reliable in all conditions so should bring some serious points for the constructors.

Edited by crooky369, 10 September 2012 - 16:42.

#42 Kyo

Kyo

• 1,313 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 17:02

well, not as a team boss, but as a F1 boss, i would first decide for 3 cars per team. then i would lobby to have Button, Webber and Raikkonen in the best car and Alonso, Vettel and Hamilton in the second best. So i would just watch all the epicnees that would be the fights inside and outside the tracks.

#43 JRodrigues

JRodrigues

• 1,804 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 17:20

Kimi

Hamilton/Kimi - 2 all-in guys. Win or nothing. No BS towards the team-mate.. and it's GO-GO-GO!
(P.S.: Just by driving I would love to see Kimi and Alonso in the same team, but I guess Alonso wouldn't let it and we would see 2007@McLaren all over again.)

One lap-speed.

#44 MrMontecarlo

MrMontecarlo

• 546 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 17:24

Alonso and Raikkonen. Two fast, mature drivers who take care of the tyres well and perform their best in the races.

#45 pdac

pdac

• 17,121 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 17:45

Has to be Alonso without question (even though I'm not a fan). Second, I'd probably pick Perez - definitely NOT another of the 'top 6' that are mentioned specifically here. That would not work for building a team.

#46 Schumacher7

Schumacher7

• 776 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 17:52

Oh hey there Jenson. :wave:

#47 MP422

MP422

• 2,157 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 18:14

Hamilton/Raikkonen !

#48 sailor

sailor

• 585 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 18:55

Has to be Alonso without question (even though I'm not a fan). Second, I'd probably pick Perez - definitely NOT another of the 'top 6' that are mentioned specifically here. That would not work for building a team.

Nice line up.

wonder who will come out on top.

my guess is Alonso with Perez out of team by midseason.

#49 bub

bub

• 2,722 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 19:10

Hamilton/Vettel

#50 908T

908T

• 174 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 19:13

If I was the Ferrari teamboss and on my way to a fast retirement, I would get Alonso and Hamilton.

Hamilton would lead with 50 points after three races. :smoking:
And then....