Speed channel to no longer carry F1 in USA

• Please log in to reply
233 replies to this topic

#1 tomspar

tomspar

• 1,433 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 15:05

Just read this...
The Associated Press has learned that Formula One will end its 17-year relationship with the cable channel Speed at the end of the season.
Two people familiar with the negotiations say F1 was in talks with NBC for U.S. broadcast rights and Speed would not be renewing its contract. The people spoke on condition of anonymity because there was no official announcement.

Advertisement

#2 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 17,232 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 15:06

It wasn't the best coverage, but still better than none.
I wonder who will get it now.

#3 BigCHrome

BigCHrome

• 4,049 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 15:07

Blame Bernie and his high fee. They had to spam it with commercials just to make ends meet (presumably).

#4 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 21,814 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 15:22

Maybe whoever picks it up will start broadcasting FP1 and FP3 now? If they do, I cant say I'll miss the SpeedTV broadcasts at all. Really not a fan of their commentary team anymore.

#5 Watkins74

Watkins74

• 6,090 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 15:27

Maybe whoever picks it up will start broadcasting FP1 and FP3 now? If they do, I cant say I'll miss the SpeedTV broadcasts at all. Really not a fan of their commentary team anymore.

FP1 and FP3 are already streamed live. It is awesome to hear the engines and radio transmissions and not the blah, blah, blah. Anyone who has followed the sport for awhile doesn't need someone else to explain what is happening, especially with live timing being so available.

All I need SPEED for is live video. If another network takes over and tape delays it I will just watch a pirated stream.

#6 Rakaman

Rakaman

• 196 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 15:28

NBC Sports usually does a very good job with cycling (particularly Le Tour) and Sunday Night Football. The Speed broadcasts are usually two hours of commercials interrupted by a race so it might be a good thing if NBC gets it.

#7 red stick

red stick

• 13,996 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 15:32

NBC Sports usually does a very good job with cycling (particularly Le Tour) and Sunday Night Football. The Speed broadcasts are usually two hours of commercials interrupted by a race so it might be a good thing if NBC gets it.

I suspect whoever broadcasts F1 in the US will give you the same commercial-heavy experience. IndyCar and NASCAR broadcasts aren't exactly light on ads either.

#8 Collective

Collective

• 1,522 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 15:33

FP1 is shown live on speedtv.com. And it's beautiful, no commentary, just engines.

Edited by Collective, 12 October 2012 - 15:33.

#9 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 21,814 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 15:45

FP1 and FP3 are already streamed live. It is awesome to hear the engines and radio transmissions and not the blah, blah, blah. Anyone who has followed the sport for awhile doesn't need someone else to explain what is happening, especially with live timing being so available.

All I need SPEED for is live video. If another network takes over and tape delays it I will just watch a pirated stream.

I do like the 'sound only' streams, but they're not always on when I can watch them. European races usually mean 4/5AM streams for FP1 and FP3. I'm an early bird, but not that early. And for the Eastern races, it means 9-10PM on Friday and Saturday, which I'm often out for or have people over. It'd be nice to have a TV broadcast that I can record and watch when its convenient for me.

Edited by Seanspeed, 12 October 2012 - 15:47.

#10 Watkins74

Watkins74

• 6,090 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 15:54

I do like the 'sound only' streams, but they're not always on when I can watch them. European races usually mean 4/5AM streams for FP1 and FP3. I'm an early bird, but not that early. And for the Eastern races, it means 9-10PM on Friday and Saturday, which I'm often out for or have people over. It'd be nice to have a TV broadcast that I can record and watch when its convenient for me.

Valid points. I thought you kids today could record those streams somehow. When I was young I used to have the best stereo for miles. That stuff just isn't important to me as it once was. Now my TV's are all about 10 years old. You young guys have flat screens, I guess you could say I have "pot belly TV's". :D

#11 Ze Bum

Ze Bum

• 495 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 16:01

I suspect whoever broadcasts F1 in the US will give you the same commercial-heavy experience. IndyCar and NASCAR broadcasts aren't exactly light on ads either.

Are there no pay channels without commercials in the USA?

#12 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 21,814 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 16:02

Valid points. I thought you kids today could record those streams somehow. When I was young I used to have the best stereo for miles. That stuff just isn't important to me as it once was. Now my TV's are all about 10 years old. You young guys have flat screens, I guess you could say I have "pot belly TV's". :D

Hehe, yea, we're spoiled. I'm sure there'll come a day when I'm sitting there with my old plasma screen TV wondering why kids these days need to have these holographic imaging devices to be happy. I think I'm already getting a bit out of touch with cell phone technology nowadays. :|

#13 jaisli

jaisli

• 1,267 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 16:09

There are strong rumors that Fox is revamping the Speed Channel completely into a general sports network to compete with ESPN and will do away with the automotive dominated content. So in a way, this makes sense. Although it's a bit disappointing that this rumor seems to suggest that Fox themselves aren't interested in pursuing a contract.

For the record, Bob Varsha tweeted earlier this week that he is contracted to Fox but Hobbs and Matchett are not. So it looks like, no matter how it's sliced, we're looking at the last year for the Varsha-Hobbs-Matchett trio.

FWIW, I can think of a LOT of ways to improve Speed and their F1 coverage. Although most of them start with going back to the old SpeedVision format, and Jim Liberatore's style and philosophy from a decade ago, before Fox took over. Call me the obstinate pessimist, but I think those of you hoping for BETTER are in for a rude awakening, and you'll soon see just how good we have it. This became painfully apparent when the ALMS was dumped by the Speed Channel and it went to ESPN3 (internet broadcast only and ONLY if your internet provider carries ESPN3 and the stream doesn't skip or go dead on you. If not, you're out of luck. Even an IP blocker won't help). That is, unless you want to watch a tape delayed, watered down, truncated version of a 4 hour race to 1 hr 15 minutes and dumb the commentary down for first time viewers, while they advertise every other sport under the sun. Trust me, there is NO WAY it's going to be better on network TV. Enjoy it while you can.

#14 Woody3says

Woody3says

• 426 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 16:14

Fox has all its eggs in the Baseball/Football basket so I can see why they dont see a point in shelling out for F1. If NBC is smart they will snatch it up.

#15 Slowinfastout

Slowinfastout

• 9,681 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 16:19

... going back to the old SpeedVision format...

:up:

Edited by Slowinfastout, 12 October 2012 - 16:19.

#16 Woody3says

Woody3says

• 426 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 16:30

@JennaFryer: Speed has confirmed on record it was outbid by another network for #F1

#17 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 21,814 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 16:31

This became painfully apparent when the ALMS was dumped by the Speed Channel and it went to ESPN3 (internet broadcast only and ONLY if your internet provider carries ESPN3 and the stream doesn't skip or go dead on you. If not, you're out of luck. Even an IP blocker won't help). That is, unless you want to watch a tape delayed, watered down, truncated version of a 4 hour race to 1 hr 15 minutes and dumb the commentary down for first time viewers, while they advertise every other sport under the sun. Trust me, there is NO WAY it's going to be better on network TV. Enjoy it while you can.

F1 is not ALMS, though.

You could be right not to be optimistic, but I dont think we should be all that pessmistic, either.

#18 UPRC

UPRC

• 4,716 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 16:32

Very surprising! Speed was a great alternative to TSN up here in Canada. Sure TSN carries the BBC feed, but there is no passion. They start seconds before the race begins and they cut away as soon as it ends. At least Speed had a thirty minute pre-race show and there was always a little discussion after the race. This is a blow that will hurt all North American viewers heavily unless another network picks up the rights.

#19 montoyasminion

montoyasminion

• 387 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 17:11

I've been listening to Bob Varsha and Hobbs/Daly since the early 90's. Earliest race I can remember is Phoenix 1990. I'll miss them.

That being said, the old ESPN coverage was better than the modern Speed coverage, hopefully the new deal with NBC or whoever will improve it. Maybe we will even get lucky enough to get some races on NBC itself, and not just NBC Sports network.

Advertisement

#20 Louis Mr. F1

Louis Mr. F1

• 3,495 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 17:14

Very surprising! Speed was a great alternative to TSN up here in Canada. Sure TSN carries the BBC feed, but there is no passion. They start seconds before the race begins and they cut away as soon as it ends. At least Speed had a thirty minute pre-race show and there was always a little discussion after the race. This is a blow that will hurt all North American viewers heavily unless another network picks up the rights.

Exactly how i feel, TSN sucks big time with their F1 coverage, they've no passion at all - even the Canadian GP carries no special coverage.

I was just telling my wife the other day that how grateful i'm that there's Speed Channel's coverage on pre-race show and analysis.

#21 jjcale

jjcale

• 16,192 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 17:16

Newscorp already have a great english language package over at Sky ... why not just show that over in the states ... it would keep costs down and be 10X better than anything that will be done in the states.

#22 King Six

King Six

• 3,230 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 17:16

I heard Speed coverage was awful anyway. NBC do brilliant NFL coverage on Sunday Night Football (or Monday Early Morning Football here in the UK), and aren't they one of the 'free' commercial broadcasters in the US? Like ITV etc..

I think it would be great for the US if they get a major broadcaster to do F1. No doubt it'll still be peppered with adverts, but still.

Edited by King Six, 12 October 2012 - 17:17.

#23 EvanRainer

EvanRainer

• 1,364 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 17:19

NBC may do well with the NFL but on the other hand their coverage of the olympics was notoriously horrific. I bet they would butcher F1.

#24 sblick

sblick

• 1,208 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 17:20

What I am not looking forward to is possibly all races on tape delay and carried on NBC proper. Hopefully live will be on NBC Sports but man I am thinking this will end in tears. Good thing is they can promote IndyCar racing during F1 broadcast

#25 OSX

OSX

• 4,877 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 17:21

@JennaFryer: Speed has confirmed on record it was outbid by another network for #F1

Interesting. Hope it doesn't turn out to be the rude awakening jaisli predicts.

#26 King Six

King Six

• 3,230 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 17:22

NBC may do well with the NFL but on the other hand their coverage of the olympics was notoriously horrific. I bet they would butcher F1.

True, I forgot about that.

#27 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 43,954 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 17:24

Wonder who the out bidding network is Jenna refers to?

Jp

#28 colonelbadger

colonelbadger

• 141 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 17:24

What I am not looking forward to is possibly all races on tape delay and carried on NBC proper. Hopefully live will be on NBC Sports but man I am thinking this will end in tears. Good thing is they can promote IndyCar racing during F1 broadcast

You raise a good point/worry. My optimistic side reads this

and hopes that who ever bought the rights actually saw some "worth" in F1 and thus will be airing F1 live! Certainly i've been less and less impressed with the Speed coverage. I've had the opportunity to watch races live on the BBC and Sky F1 in England and the difference is night and day. With races returning to the US in Austin and hopefully New Jersey, perhaps this is the ideal time for Bernie to work with whoever now has the rights to really elevate the sport !!

#29 King Six

King Six

• 3,230 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 17:26

Imagine if it's Fox. :lol:

Could also be ESPN..

The truth is I see Americans complain about nearly all their broadcasters/tv channels, and most of it is valid too. I don't think they enjoy their media too much over there..

#30 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 43,954 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 17:27

Found It...
NBC SPORTS CHANNEL
Jp

#31 Slowinfastout

Slowinfastout

• 9,681 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 17:27

I think the demise of the Speed channel itself is pretty much self-explanatory.

Motorsports including F1 are progressively fading out of mainstream TV, fast.

#32 SpaMaster

SpaMaster

• 5,856 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 17:30

My understanding is that Speed got the F1 rights for a very nominal price. But the factor at play may be that Speed is a pay-channel and NBC is not. So, Speed may be not be getting as much as it hoped back in return. NBC ad times are worth much more. Also, it was FOM that forced Speed to run a few races in non-pay channel (like Fox) every year. With NBC, that problem is not there for FOM.

#33 Menace

Menace

• 12,799 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 17:33

Yup, that would be a shame.

And having lived in many countries I can honestly tell you the Speed crew is definitely one of the better ones. This would be a shame.

#34 Slowinfastout

Slowinfastout

• 9,681 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 17:35

Found It...
NBC SPORTS CHANNEL
Jp

Yep, maybe some big races on the proper NBC channel, most of them buried between Deer Hunting TV and 3-Gun Nation on NBCSC.

Edited by Slowinfastout, 12 October 2012 - 17:39.

#35 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 43,954 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 17:39

Jp is gonna look on the glass half full side and say the IndyCar broadcasts are pretty decent.
Will miss Varsha though.
Jp

#36 colonelbadger

colonelbadger

• 141 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 18:06

@PeterDWindsor: Yes, it's true: from 2013 onwards, #f1 in the US will be screened on NBC Sports.

#37 colonelbadger

colonelbadger

• 141 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 18:06

@PeterDWindsor: Yes, it's true: from 2013 onwards, #f1 in the US will be screened on NBC Sports.

Wonder if that means he's involved !!??!!!

#38 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 18:33

Just read this...
The Associated Press has learned that Formula One will end its 17-year relationship with the cable channel Speed at the end of the season.
Two people familiar with the negotiations say F1 was in talks with NBC for U.S. broadcast rights and Speed would not be renewing its contract. The people spoke on condition of anonymity because there was no official announcement.

Any word what Varsha will be doing? I cannot help, but this guy had a calming effect on me. Intelectual, sensitive to multi-cultural differences, a gentleman.

#39 f1fan1998

f1fan1998

• 293 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 18:36

there goes will buxton's job... wonder what highly opinionated position he will take next? Chief forumer....

Advertisement

#40 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 43,954 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 18:49

Any word what Varsha will be doing? I cannot help, but this guy had a calming effect on me. Intelectual, sensitive to multi-cultural differences, a gentleman.

Here Here...
Was thinking..
If Miller can work for both networks...
Perhaps Bob can as well, but I fear his FOX contract contains a bit more gravity than Robin's SPEED appearances.

Jp

#41 Xpat

Xpat

• 17,658 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 18:51

If only there was a way to watch the BBC/SKY broadcast here in the US....

Any major network in the US will have just as many commercials as Speed and will not want to devote a lot of time for pre and post race coverage for what is a niche sport in the US. They do some coverage on "foreign" sports because many of the events are once a year and have Americans participating (Tour de France, Wimbledon, ect). 20 races though? I also think US networks don't really like the idea of being fed the images and limits on the press (ie the employees of the network paying for the event).

#42 TecnoRacing

TecnoRacing

• 1,796 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 19:23

there goes will buxton's job... wonder what highly opinionated position he will take next? Chief forumer....

Considering this twit does the official Gp2 press interviews (and sometimes F1) he's obviously and insider, and I'm sure he'll get installed into whatever coverage ends up doing the broadcast

#43 Slowinfastout

Slowinfastout

• 9,681 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 19:26

I wasn't kidding earlier. Speed was already getting pretty ridiculous with the content of their motorsport programming, but it's nothing compared to NBC Sports.

let's take next Sunday for example:

Speed: http://www.speedtv.c...date/2012-10-14

NBC Sports: http://affiliate.zap...mp;stnNum=15952

can you imagine the usual european GP being inserted in the NBC Sports morning lineup there? or in the middle of the night? if the ratings were bad on Speed, this will be something else.. lol

#44 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 43,954 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 19:36

What a desperate character that Buxton is..
1hr into the realisation his SPEED gig is toast and he is already begging for a gig with @NBCSN.
:rotfl:

Wonder what Kevin Lee is thinking right now..

Jp

#45 Disgrace

Disgrace

• 31,165 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 19:38

Let's take your job away and see how long you wish to delay to secure an income. Moronic post.

#46 f1rookie

f1rookie

• 254 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 19:41

Bad news for US F1 Fans, I hope they will make new a deal following 2012 F1 end

Speed TV lost the rights to broadcast Formula 1 in USA from 2013
http://www.formula1o...-broadcast.html

#47 sblick

sblick

• 1,208 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 19:49

For us who are old enough, ESPN did a study in the States that showed it didn't matter what time they put F1 on they always got the same ratings. Rabid fans to say the least. I always enjoyed ESPN coverage because they were actually there. Maybe it is hard to get competent announcers who will travel with the circus. I would say that you will probably see a pre and post race show on NBC Sports and the race on NBC. Similar to what Speed does with NASCAR. Although I think I would be just as happy if ESPN got the rights here.

#48 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 43,954 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 19:53

Let's take your job away and see how long you wish to delay to secure an income. Moronic post.

You obviously are not au fait with the ways of Buxton then.

Jp

#49 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 43,954 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 19:57

Here you go..feel better now?
Jp

#50 SR388

SR388

• 5,683 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 19:58

I really want ESPN.