Photo

1930s sprint car drivers

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 sramoa

sramoa

• 355 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 19:14

Anyone can help me about short bio and photo(face shot) these 30s years american sprint car drivers?

Charlie Rogers- http://www.champcars...gersCharlie.htm
Lewis "Bozo" Balus- http://www.champcars.../BalusLewis.htm
Benny Brandfon- http://www.champcars...BrandfonBen.htm
Ted Chamberlain- http://www.champcars...mberlainTed.htm
Al Cusick
Miny Dagatta(or Minnie Dagatta,D'Agata) of Syracuse
Henry Guerand
Doc Keim
Charles Peterson of Chicago
Jack Russell(I know for him,he won sometimes in Sharon,PA Speedway in 30s years)

Thanks any info

Edited by sramoa, 04 December 2012 - 21:21.

Advertisement

#2 sramoa

sramoa

• 355 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 17:42

Any idea?

#3 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 8,274 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 22:49

Have you tried the search function here?

eg: http://forums.autosp...ewis Bozo Balus

#4 sramoa

sramoa

• 355 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 13:05

Yes!I tried,but not too much... :|

#5 Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

• 7,180 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 21:00

Waiting for me?  ;)

I have no pictures, certainly none that I could post here, but at least Henry Guerand was popular enough that you might be able to find some on the internet. Then again, with Guerand, the phrase "head shot" might turn out to be more appropriate than hoped for... :(

I believe Guerand was from New Jersey, Newark area (Townley, Elizabeth, Orange), although he was frequently listed as from Daytona Beach (FL) - I have an unconfirmed birth date of July 31, 1912. His first appearance in my records is, intriguingly, an IMCA (?) race in Florida, Volusia County Fairgrounds in De Land, Feb 19 in 1933. From May till August that year, he competed with the Automobile Racing Assoc., mainly in New Jersey: New Market, Ho-Ho-Kus, and Deer Park in New York - several 3rd and 4th place finishes, mainly driving a "Winfield Special". In October, he joined the AAA Hankinson circuit on its southern tour, racing in the Carolinas with the (Sam) Alperti/Frontenac, and qualifying for several main events. It was back to the independents for the next one and a half year, IMCA at Tampa (FL) and several Garden State Racing Assoc. races at Woodbridge (NJ) and ARA at Cross Bay (NY).

He re-entered AAA racing in mid 1935, again in the South, at Atlanta (GA) where he finished 3rd in a main on July 7 driving the Parkinson/Frontenac (ex-Ben Shaw, I think). He stayed with AAA for the rest of his Big Car career, although he entered a couple of CSRA races during the brief affiliation programme in 1938 - he also raced Midgets regularly on Long Island and probably elsewhere, too. Driving an assortment of so-and-so Big Cars, his career didn't really take off until he found seat time in the (Bill) Drake/Winfield in early 1938, and then the (Gus) Strupp/Miller a little while later. He won three main events that year (Altamont/NY Aug 27, Richmond/VA Sep 5 and Spartanburg/SC Oct 15), and finished second or third more than half a dozen times to end up 5th in the Eastern Circuit points, ahead of Tony Willman, Bill Holland, Frankie Bailey and Bob Sall! He started 1939 by driving the (Mark) Light/Miller during the Florida State Fair races (AAA that year), recording a 3rd place finish, but was killed in a VERY gruesome Midget accident at the Nutley Velodrome in New Jersey on April 2. Apparently of French stock, his first name may actually have been Henri.

#6 sramoa

sramoa

• 355 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 21:06

Waiting for me?  ;)

Yes Michael!You are my man!!! :wave:

#7 Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

• 7,180 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 21:16

Charles "Charlie" (or "Moxie") Rogers was always listed from Michigan, Detroit area (Wyandotte, but also Ypsilanti), raced 1935 to '49 minimum, unconfirmed year of birth 1917. Various independent clubs until joining AAA in mid 1937, driving the (Al) Singer/Cragar to a 6th at Harrington (DE) July 30 in 1938 and 10th at the Mineola Fairgrounds on Long Island eight weeks later. Ran the (Lawrence) Jewell/Hal to three 5th place finishes in 1946/7, and the (apparently) same car for Willard (?) Taylor the following season, unsuccessfully.

#8 Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

• 7,180 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 21:31

Lewis (Louis?) "Bozo" Balus was probably from Pennsylvania (Frankford? Pottstown? Bethlehem?), originally, but also frequently listed for Atlantic City (NJ) and later mostly for Brooklyn/New York City. Raced various independent clubs of the area, beginning in 1926 the latest, before joining AAA in late 1928 for a 2nd place at Wilson (NC) on Oct 20, apparently his best ever result. Raced on and off until 1937, it seems, including further stints with independent clubs and some Midget shows, driving for Sig Haugdahl in the latter.

#9 Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

• 7,180 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 21:44

A good candidate for Most-Misspelled honours, Benny Brandfon was allegedly born in Russia, Nov 15 in 1888, and ran an aging Sunbeam (sometimes called Peugeot - perhaps the 1916 "Peusun Special"??) for at least ten years in AAA events of the East, and then occasionally in independent clubs like ARA or GSRA. He continued with a two-man Model A Duesenberg special until 1937, mostly failing to qualify. But, back in the twenties with the Sunbeam, he'd won at the Metropolitan Heights Fairgrounds in Maspeth on Long Island and finished 2nd at Mineola within 24 hours! Hometown New York City (Bronx, Brooklyn).

Edited by Michael Ferner, 04 December 2012 - 21:45.

#10 Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

• 7,180 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 21:54

Ted Chamberlain, allegedly born in Kentucky on May 15, 1901, raced out of upstate New York (Olean, Sinclairville, Jamestown, Cleveland, Buffalo), later also Saint Petersburg (FL). Won an independent event at Titusville (PA) on May 26 in 1928, joined AAA later that year and was 3rd at Middletown (NY) on Aug 17 in 1929 for his best result. In the mid thirties, he was in and out of AAA frequently, without much success either way.

#11 Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

• 7,180 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 15:26

Albert "Al" Cusick was from Pennsylvania, either Brookline near Pittsburgh or the Philadelphia area (Ardmore, Upper Darby, Bryn Mawr). He ran AAA Big Cars from 1935 to '39 inclusive, although for the latter year I have only one DNA. Preeminently driving the (Gus) "Schumacher Special" during 1936/7, he was 4th at Altamont (NY) on May 31 in the latter year, and qualified in or near the top ten several times. Also drove for Bill Lenhart, Ray Brady, Sam Greco and his own car(s).

#12 Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

• 7,180 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 15:44

Miny Dagatta(or Minnie Dagatta,D'Agata...

... or Minno Dagata, Minnie de Gato, Minnie Dogotta, Miny Dugatta, Minnie de Gata, Min d'Agata, Minie Degata, Mike Dagota, Mimie de Gato, Mike Dagatta, Mike Degatto, Miny Daggata, Mike de Gatia, Minne Dagotta, Minny Dagatta, Bobbie Dagatta, Miny da Gatta, Minny da Gata, Miny Degata, Minnie Dagotta, Miny Digato, Minn da Gata, Minnie d'Gata, Meny Degota, Minnio de Gato - take your pick!!! For a guy I have only about two dozen race appearances, that's an awful lot of spelling variants, and few of them were used more often than once - pity the poor historian, indeed! Raced independent clubs from about 1933 to '36 (and occasionally thereafter), and then AAA from '36 to '40. Hometown most consistently given as Syracuse, but also Great Bend, Rochester and Binghamton, all in upstate New York. He also raced almost exclusively in New York state, and was 5th (?) after qualifying 2nd fast at Altamont on June 18, 1938, driving the (Henry) Howe=Lake/McDowell, apparently built by the Lake brothers (Roy & Arlie) in California and allegedly raced at Ascot.

#13 Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

• 7,180 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 15:59

Charles "Doc" Keim from Catasauqua near Allentown in Pennsylvania raced independent clubs (mostly Central Pennsy) during 1935 and '36, then joined up with the AAA at Richmond (VA) on September 7 to finish 4th (?), his second best result in 3 years of AAA competition, apparently! He was, however, a frequent main event qualifier, driving the (Bill?) Neiman/Cragar in 1937 mostly, and an Ambler "works" car the following year. He also won at Bloomsburg (PA) on October 2 in 1937, beating Tommy Hinnershitz and the rest of a rather indifferent field by a fair margin.

#14 Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

• 7,180 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 16:10

Charles "Chuck" Peterson (possibly: Petersen or Petterson) from Chicago raced on area tracks 1936 to '42 - possibly identical with the Carl Peterson who ran Midgets in Chicago during 1935, although there was a Big Car driver by that name in Pennsylvania during the same time, too! Had a hard time making the main events in AAA, and did not feature much in CSRA racing either.

#15 Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

• 7,180 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 16:23

Jack Russell was likely from western PA (Greenville, Clarendon, Warren, Bradford, Pittsburgh, Erie), but also frequently listed from Hamburg (NY), and that's also where he raced almost exclusively: more or less within 100 miles of Lake Erie. Had a good if not outstanding record in independent events of the area during 1933 to '36, then raced AAA up to the end of '39. Possibly related to (son of?) 1920s racer of the same area, George Russell, Jack drove a Trevis/Hal during 1938, which I feel sure must've been one of Floyd Trevis's first creations.

#16 sramoa

sramoa

• 355 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 18:39

Charles "Doc" Keim from Catasauqua near Allentown in Pennsylvania raced independent clubs (mostly Central Pennsy) during 1935 and '36, then joined up with the AAA at Richmond (VA) on September 7 to finish 4th (?), his second best result in 3 years of AAA competition, apparently! He was, however, a frequent main event qualifier, driving the (Bill?) Neiman/Cragar in 1937 mostly, and an Ambler "works" car the following year. He also won at Bloomsburg (PA) on October 2 in 1937, beating Tommy Hinnershitz and the rest of a rather indifferent field by a fair margin.

I have a small bio about Doc Keim.He was born in 12th Dec 1912 and died in 1st December 1977 in France!

Edited by sramoa, 05 December 2012 - 18:44.

#17 sramoa

sramoa

• 355 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 18:39

WoW Michael!!!Thanks these infos!!! :eek:

#18 sramoa

sramoa

• 355 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 19:47

Maybe I found some "new" names:

Hans Koehler
Bub(or Bud) Walker
Leslie Owen

They raced in NY area in end of 30s years!

Thanks any info!

#19 carl s

carl s

• 78 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 22:18

Type in Hans Koehler in Search Box
http://www.fultonhis...com/Fulton.html

Hans Koehler
Bub(or Bud) Walker
Leslie Owen

Thanks any info!

Advertisement

#20 Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

• 7,180 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 19:14

Hans Koehler
Bub(or Bud) Walker
Leslie Owen

Thanks any info!

Bub Walker (frequently misspelled as Bud) was from Long Island (Lawrence, Hewlett, Cedarhurst, Lynbrook, Brooklyn), but also sometimes listed for PA (Lawrenceville, Warrensville) or NJ (New Brunswick), probably owner's hometowns or transcription errors. Bub ran the usual outlaw clubs of the area, GSRA, ARA, Central Pennsy, with good success between 1936 and '38, and made occasional AAA appearances in New York and New England, doing quite well. He won several independent races at places like Crossbay, Bird-in-Hand and Hatfield, and was 2nd in a AAA show at Crossbay in '38 (behind Mark Light), apart from some mild success in the Midgets, so he joined AAA full time later that year. He disappears from my records suddenly in May '39, perhaps an accident? Was GSRA Champion in '37, and drove mostly the (Jake) Troupe/McDowell or the (Frank) Curtis/Riley.

Leslie Owen was, in fact (I believe), William "Bill" Owen (possibly: Owens), STRC official and postwar promoter at Shangri-La, also car owner for Sandy Sanford (ESRA runner up in '47). From the Southern Tier in New York (Kirkwood, Binghamton, Endicott, Johnson City), his career as a driver was far from impressive, and apart from a couple of races at Williams Grove and a single one at Flemington, confined to New York state, 1937 to '41. STRC (Southern Tier Racing Club) affiliated with AAA for most of this time, so he appeared at a number of AAA events, and even made the feature at least once, but he never figured in results except for the occasional placing in a heat, even in STRC meetings. Was president of this club in 1941, perhaps also in other years. Ran his own Riley, #48 (or Circle-48).

Hans Koehler from New Jersey (Boonton, East Orange, Montclair) drove GSRA (mostly at Woodbridge) from 1934 to '37. Was 5th in a main event once, not much else to show for. One H. J. Koehler won a 100-mile race Empire City (Yonkers) in 1906 (!) on a Buick, not completely impossible that it was the same person. Yes, like Walker and Owen, he appears to have entered the 1938 Syracuse AAA National Championship race, but I don't know about that - maybe a bit of a dreamer... Ran a #77 Ford Special in '34, probably his own.

Edited by Michael Ferner, 07 January 2013 - 19:53.

#21 sramoa

sramoa

• 355 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 18:48

Hans Koehler from New Jersey (Boonton, East Orange, Montclair) drove GSRA (mostly at Woodbridge) from 1934 to '37. Was 5th in a main event once, not much else to show for. One H. J. Koehler won a 100-mile race Empire City (Yonkers) in 1906 (!) on a Buick, not completely impossible that it was the same person. Yes, like Walker and Owen, he appears to have entered the 1938 Syracuse AAA National Championship race, but I don't know about that - maybe a bit of a dreamer... Ran a #77 Ford Special in '34, probably his own.

I have a new info about him(His grandson gave me infos):Hans V. Koehler born in 1919 and died 1972-later I will more info!

#22 Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

• 7,180 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 19:19

Well, that would've made him 15 at the time of his debut - I doubt that very much!

#23 Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

• 7,180 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 16:53

A Hans Kohler competed in AAA Midget races at the Coney Island Velodrome in 1940.

#24 theracer120

theracer120

• 28 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:57

The names Ted Chamberlain & Jack Russell both rang a bell for me, as they were both NASCAR drivers in the late 40's early 50's. A Jack Russell, from Erie, PA, ran 4 races from 1949-1950, and one race in 1958, without much success. He ran at Hamburg in 1949. Could he be the same one as the Sprint Car driver? And as for Ted Chamberlain, I'm not convinced it's the same one, though there is a slight possibility. This one was born in 1906 in St Petersburg, and ran fairly regularly from 49-59. He also did a year or two in the Convertible Series.

Edited by theracer120, 16 January 2013 - 10:58.

#25 sramoa

sramoa

• 355 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 21:08

A Hans Kohler competed in AAA Midget races at the Coney Island Velodrome in 1940.

Hans V. Koehler was born in 1909 in East Orange,NJ.hans father was race car driver too-raced in Sheepshead Bay,stock car and hill climbs.The elder Koehler lost in an expedition.
Hans debuted in 1934.He had a close friend was Bill Morrissey.Hans raced in 1936 midgets and ran sprints sometimes.He had some traffic accidents.He liked the judo and boat racing too.He died in 1972.

#26 sramoa

sramoa

• 355 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 18:05

Michael(or anyone)!Has you got any info Steve Wayto's(of Schenechtady,NY) Magyar Special at 1938 Alatmont Memorial Day?

#27 carl s

carl s

• 78 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 22:32

See post #19
Same link here.
http://www.fultonhis...com/Fulton.html
Open the link and type in Steve Wayto into the search box and you will get a bunch of articles mentioning him.
Have fun with your research.

Michael(or anyone)!Has you got any info Steve Wayto's(of Schenechtady,NY) Magyar Special at 1938 Alatmont Memorial Day?

#28 Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

• 7,180 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 18:49

Not surprisingly, I have, and I should have realized earlier that this one would be of interest to you! :o Raced from 1933 to '40, minimum, and hometown always given as Schenectady (somewhat unusual, normally there's some "spread" in hometowns). I have him also exclusively in AAA events in New York, except for one entry at Langhorne (likely a DNS or even DNA), and a note that he was seriously injured at Cambridge on August 21 in 1938 - that Cambridge event appears to have been outlaw, and I expect it to have been Cambridge in New York, a halfmile fairgrounds according to Allan Brown, but I have zero info from my own research; only Cambridge in my records is in Maryland.

Wayto drove a #92 "Cyclone Special" in '33, a "Ford V-8 Special" in '35 and the "Magyar Special" in '38 and '40 (I have no entries for '39), #23 the latter year. A typical "third heat qualifyer" (if at all), I have no main event results for Wayto, but he apparently started the feature at Rutland in '33 (okay, that's not New York, but close!), Batavia and Little Valley in '35 and Altamont Memorial Day in '36, where he had an accident. That day, he qualified 10th in a field of 11, and he was 6th at Little Valley in a single digit field for his only top ten spots in about twenty appearances - no phone calls from Speedway/Indiana, I suspect.

#29 sramoa

sramoa

• 355 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 21:43

I am looking for info on Harold Sall who was in this race: North Carolina: 1931-10-17, AAA, Concord, 10 miles, Harold Sall

Was his Bob Sall (Antonio Saldutti)'s brother Harry?

#30 Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

• 7,180 posts

Posted 21 May 2014 - 14:57

Bob Sall had a younger brother who competed briefly, but I believe his first name was actually Warren. Harold or Harry may be a misprint due to the phonetic similarity.