Photo

Jenson Button voted British Competition Driver of the Year [split]

• Please log in to reply
221 replies to this topic

#1 Zoetrope

Zoetrope

• 1,408 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 23:34

Beating off strong competition from team-mate Lewis Hamilton, Scots Paul di Resta and Dario Franchitti, WTCC champion Rob Huff and DTM runner-up Gary Paffett...

Jordan announces that AUTOSPORT readers have voted Jenson Button as British Competition Driver of the Year.

lol wut?

Advertisement

#2 PretentiousBread

PretentiousBread

• 2,906 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 23:36

Beating off strong competition from team-mate Lewis Hamilton, Scots Paul di Resta and Dario Franchitti, WTCC champion Rob Huff and DTM runner-up Gary Paffett...

Jordan announces that AUTOSPORT readers have voted Jenson Button as British Competition Driver of the Year.

lol wut?

Humanity, I had so much faith in it....

#3 thesham01

thesham01

• 1,502 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 23:37

lol wut?

:lol:

#4 Will

Will

• 3,320 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 23:55

lol wut?

Indeed, one wonders if he took Autosport readers out for dinner as well as the press!

#5 scheivlak

scheivlak

• 16,465 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 23:56

lol wut?

Unbelievable that those silly readers missed a unique chance to vote Paul di Resta British Competition Driver of the Year :D

#6 TomNokoe

TomNokoe

• 33,502 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 23:58

Jenson beats Lewis at AUTOSPORT awards, simply laughable, if it had been close then maybe I'd be mad, but this is silly! All hail king Jenson!

#7 Borko

Borko

• 2,226 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 00:07

Jenson beats Lewis at AUTOSPORT awards, simply laughable, if it had been close then maybe I'd be mad, but this is silly! All hail king Jenson!

If they gave him International racing driver of the yearaward in 2004 against Schumacher, who had 13 wins, what did you expect now?

#8 Viktoria

Viktoria

• 87 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 00:10

The most fake awards ever!!!! This must be a joke!!!!!!!!!!!!1

#9 andrewf1

andrewf1

• 2,775 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 00:15

lol how pathetic is that? :lol: :lol: for what, for having the worst season he's had at Mclaren? - according to his own words
which autosport readers voted really, because i am 100% sure that not even the most hardcore jenson button fans would have given him the British Driver of the Year award.

#10 PretentiousBread

PretentiousBread

• 2,906 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 00:18

lol how pathetic is that? :lol: :lol: for what, for having the worst season he's had at Mclaren? - according to his own words
which autosport readers voted really, because i am 100% sure that not even the most hardcore jenson button fans would have given him the British Driver of the Year award.

Vettel won driver of the year. The readership only vote based on their most recent memory, Vettel winning title, JB winning race, Red Bull winning constructors and so forth. That award means less than the BBC ones Jake and Eddie handed out at Brazil.

#11 maverick69

maverick69

• 5,975 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 00:27

The hand of Ron ;)

................And I bet that JB was a little uneasy/awkward picking that up. He's a good guy and he'll be more than aware...........

Edited by maverick69, 03 December 2012 - 00:29.

#12 MrPodium

MrPodium

• 693 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 00:32

Seriously. Did they only include Autosport readers who live in Frome or something?

I would love to have seen Button's acceptance speech!

Edited by MrPodium, 03 December 2012 - 00:32.

#13 scheivlak

scheivlak

• 16,465 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 00:33

Seriously. Did they only include Autosport readers who live in Frome or something?

I guess those in Croydon as well.

#14 MrPodium

MrPodium

• 693 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 00:36

....and in unrelated news, Andrew 'Freddie' Flintoff has been voted the UK's most promising heavyweight prospect! :stoned:

#15 thesham01

thesham01

• 1,502 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 00:36

Will we get to see his speech? Is it recorded?

#16 PretentiousBread

PretentiousBread

• 2,906 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 00:37

The hand of Ron ;)

................And I bet that JB was a little uneasy/awkward picking that up. He's a good guy and he'll be more than aware...........

You reckon? I think he'll lap it up.

#17 thesham01

thesham01

• 1,502 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 00:39

Of course he will. As he does every other over the top bit of praise.

This will go some way to covering up his horrid year as well. 2012 award winning Button... more awards than Hamilton.

Edited by thesham01, 03 December 2012 - 00:40.

#18 maverick69

maverick69

• 5,975 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 00:40

Nah. He knows how to work the room - but he's not an idiot.

The fact that Autosport had to hark back to his 2011 season for a 2012 award says it all...........

#19 MrPodium

MrPodium

• 693 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 00:40

It's the only thing he's likely to lap. :)

What a total farce.

Edited by MrPodium, 03 December 2012 - 00:42.

Advertisement

#20 Gridfire

Gridfire

• 887 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 00:42

i am 100% sure that not even the most hardcore jenson button fans would have given him the British Driver of the Year award.

Depends on how it's judged really. Is it based purely on results, or is it balanced with being a good sport in all situations, being a great ambassador for the sport (ie not yelling at the press "it's a frikkin joke" etc), and treating his team well considering he is paid massively more than most of the engineers who provide the car for him to win races with?

Lewis is a great driver, most assuredly, but 'driver of the year' doesn't necessarily mean 'person who got the most points this year'.

#21 MrPodium

MrPodium

• 693 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 00:43

Depends on how it's judged really. Is it based purely on results, or is it balanced with being a good sport in all situations, being a great ambassador for the sport (ie not yelling at the press "it's a frikkin joke" etc), and treating his team well considering he is paid massively more than most of the engineers who provide the car for him to win races with?

Lewis is a great driver, most assuredly, but 'driver of the year' doesn't necessarily mean 'person who got the most points this year'.

He was awarded driver of the year, not politician and all round nice guy.

#22 PretentiousBread

PretentiousBread

• 2,906 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 00:45

Well the voters have their own criteria in their heads and sadly driving performance was quite low down the list, which is odd given that they're racing drivers.

#23 P123

P123

• 23,842 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 00:46

It's just what people voted for. Perhaps those who voted Hamilton as International Racing Driver then chose JB as British competition driver.

Rob Huff was on the list too- an actual world champion. Whatever percentage of Autosport's 50,000 odd readers that voted must have been in a 2011 timewarp.

Edited by P123, 03 December 2012 - 00:52.

#24 andrewf1

andrewf1

• 2,775 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 00:53

Regardless of the way it was judged, it's wrong.

Edited by andrewf1, 03 December 2012 - 00:54.

#25 thesham01

thesham01

• 1,502 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 00:56

http://www.autosport...t.php/id/104699

#26 showtime

showtime

• 3,032 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 01:01

"I had so many angry Ferrari fans, but it was nice to make Christian [Horner] happy. I look forward to doing that again many times next year."

:well:

#27 andrewf1

andrewf1

• 2,775 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 01:04

"I had so many angry Ferrari fans, but it was nice to make Christian [Horner] happy. I look forward to doing that again many times next year."

:well:

lol, was about to post that myself :lol: not the wisest choice of words - or poor editing :lol: though i'll cut him the slack, i know the broader context was referring to winning.

#28 speng

speng

• 1,321 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 01:13

correct, no other way to put it.

#29 jjcale

jjcale

• 16,192 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 01:15

Button paid tribute to departing team-mate Hamilton, and admitted he was relishing the prospect of becoming McLaren's most experienced driver.

"For me the excitement of going to McLaren was obviously in racing for the team, but it was also racing against Lewis. He's unbelievably fast. I spent a lot of time with BAR and then Brawn, and I know they're a great bunch of guys, so he will definitely have a lot of fun there.

Not 100% sure what he meant by this but it made me :rotfl:

Edited by jjcale, 03 December 2012 - 01:17.

#30 inca_roads

inca_roads

• 1,456 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 01:17

Just so wrong.

#31 Requiem84

Requiem84

• 15,798 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 01:20

Button had more points ánd awards in the three years with Hamilton as his teammate. Surely this shows he is the better driver.

#32 jjcale

jjcale

• 16,192 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 01:20

If I was paying to go to an awards dinner I know which of them's acceptance speech I would prefer to listen to ... FWIW a guy like SV might even have a future on the speaking circuit when he is done with F1 - he is properly funny.

#33 speng

speng

• 1,321 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 01:25

Button had more points ánd awards in the three years with Hamilton as his teammate. Surely this shows he is the better driver.

Yeah, the championship is every 3 years.

#34 MrPodium

MrPodium

• 693 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 01:28

But it wasn't the Autosport Awards from 2010 - 2012 combined, it was the Autosport 2012 awards; ie - this year. Not 2011, 2010, or even 2013.

On a separate note, this "oh well, the combined points total indicates...." argument is a bit tiresome. If everyone followed that logic there would be no championship, just a rolling total where no-one ever would be voted champion. It just doesn't work and it's a pathetic argument, in my opinion. Every single sport I can think of works over a season, and starts afresh the next. F1 is no different.

2 - 1 : Hamilton.

Edited by MrPodium, 03 December 2012 - 01:28.

#35 kpchelsea

kpchelsea

• 249 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 01:37

It mentions two retirements for Button earlier in the season and then finishes with

"Despite having to contend with two further retirements - a fuel pump failure while running second at Monza and contact with Kamui Kobayashi in Korea - Button when on to finish the season fifth in the championship, just two points behind Hamilton".

It sort of reads that Hamilton was lucky to beat Button justifying the award being given to him

#36 speng

speng

• 1,321 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 01:38

But it wasn't the Autosport Awards from 2010 - 2012 combined, it was the Autosport 2012 awards; ie - this year. Not 2011, 2010, or even 2013.

On a separate note, this "oh well, the combined points total indicates...." argument is a bit tiresome. If everyone followed that logic there would be no championship, just a rolling total where no-one ever would be voted champion. It just doesn't work and it's a pathetic argument, in my opinion. Every single sport I can think of works over a season, and starts afresh the next. F1 is no different.

2 - 1 : Hamilton.

Yep, the championship is every year, not every 3 years

#37 Rybo

Rybo

• 366 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 01:47

Give credit where it is due. JB has been good, but IMO he isnt on the same level as LH,SV,FA, or KR. JB has driven his heart out but was still bested in 2 out of 3 seasons. Sadly there has to be a "loser" but I don't see that as a bad thing. JB has shown that he can compete and sometimes win, but I feel that JB just isn't as good. However not being as good as LH means being better than a good number of drivers.

#38 Requiem84

Requiem84

• 15,798 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 01:47

Sarcasm guys, sarcasm....

Obviously this is one of those crooked decisioms that Button himself must feel awkard about. Hamilton Destroyed Jenson this season.

#39 speng

speng

• 1,321 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 02:19

Give credit where it is due. JB has been good, but IMO he isnt on the same level as LH,SV,FA, or KR. JB has driven his heart out but was still bested in 2 out of 3 seasons. Sadly there has to be a "loser" but I don't see that as a bad thing. JB has shown that he can compete and sometimes win, but I feel that JB just isn't as good. However not being as good as LH means being better than a good number of drivers.

Agreed. BTW nicely put.

Advertisement

#40 Boxerevo

Boxerevo

• 3,568 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 07:05

Posted Image

#41 Rocket73

Rocket73

• 2,285 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 07:18

So some people KEEP saying

ZZZzzzzz

The incredible bitterness in this board atm would suggest otherwise..

Btw itsn't lewis the one who always 'drives his heart out' ?

#42 Boxerevo

Boxerevo

• 3,568 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 07:28

Make no mistake,Button is really a master of politics.

This award is no joke,he knows the right people,knows how to please them and they are glad to support him.

Edited by Boxerevo, 03 December 2012 - 07:30.

#43 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 24,465 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 08:05

Hahahaha, how hilariously embarrassing.

"Despite having to contend with two further retirements - a fuel pump failure while running second at Monza and contact following a wild lunge from Kamui Kobayashi in Korea - Button went on to finish the season fifth in the championship, just two points behind Hamilton."

Well I'm convinced.

#44 Rurouni

Rurouni

• 768 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 08:13

Surely Lewis has won this award before? In 2007 or 2008?

Lewis won in 2007, McNish in 2008.

#45 Peter Perfect

Peter Perfect

• 5,618 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 08:16

Surely Lewis has won this award before? In 2007 or 2008?

Hamilton has so far won...

2003 British Club Driver of the Year
2006 Rookie of the Year
2007 British Competition Driver of the Year
2007 Rookie of the Year
2007 International Racing Driver Award
2008 International Racing Driver Award

#46 Rurouni

Rurouni

• 768 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 08:25

Fair enough, you're entitled to your opinion, I just don't agree for reasons already documented.

As an aside does anyone know the voting criteria for the award?

From autosport live
"Beating off strong competition from team-mate Lewis Hamilton, Scots Paul di Resta and Dario Franchitti, WTCC champion Rob Huff and DTM runner-up Gary Paffett...

Jordan announces that AUTOSPORT readers have voted Jenson Button as British Competition Driver of the Year."

#47 techspeed

techspeed

• 373 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 08:25

As an aside does anyone know the voting criteria for the award?

A shortlist of drivers is published in the magazine, then the Autosport readers vote for the winners. Nothing to do with recent race results, biased judges or anything like that, it's entirely down to who the public think is best.

As it's based on popularity, personally I'm once again disappointed that drivers who have achieved more have lost out to F1 drivers.

#48 Peter Perfect

Peter Perfect

• 5,618 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 08:30

A shortlist of drivers is published in the magazine, then the Autosport readers vote for the winners. Nothing to do with recent race results, biased judges or anything like that, it's entirely down to who the public think is best.

As it's based on popularity, personally I'm once again disappointed that drivers who have achieved more have lost out to F1 drivers.

Yeah, it kind of reminds me of the BBC SPotY award. It was a major achievement the other year for a true sporting great and a complete legend like Phil Taylor to even make the shortlist in the first place. But like you say, it's based on popularity and F1 is the most popular series.

#49 Rurouni

Rurouni

• 768 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 08:32

Hamilton has so far won...

2003 British Club Driver of the Year
2006 Rookie of the Year
2007 British Competition Driver of the Year
2007 Rookie of the Year
2007 International Racing Driver Award
2008 International Racing Driver Award

Since this is a vs thread, wouldn't be complete without posting what Button has won...

2000 Rookie of the Year
2003 British Competition Driver of the Year
2004 International Racing Driver Award
2006 British Competition Driver of the Year
2009 British Competition Driver of the Year
2009 International Racing Driver Award
2011 British Competition Driver of the Year
2012 British Competition Driver of the Year

#50 Rybo

Rybo

• 366 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 08:38

So some people KEEP saying

ZZZzzzzz

The incredible bitterness in this board atm would suggest otherwise..

Btw itsn't lewis the one who always 'drives his heart out' ?

I'm not bitter about anything. I would be remiss of I didn't say JB hasn't been impressive at times, but other have been more so. Kimi only missed one racing lap, Fred had the most podiums, Lewis never missed q3, and Seb won 4 in a row. And I'm
Speaking purely on 2012 form