* * * - - 10 votes

Hamilton Vs Rosberg - 2013 [merged]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3907 replies to this topic

#951 f1fastestlap

f1fastestlap

• 2,373 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 09:29

What about last week when it was obvious Lewis couldn't match Rosberg in the wet? Surely the rainmeister should have had it in the bag if he was faster in the dry too?

Last week nico had more downforce so it was faster in wet, try and keep up with the news... :cool:

Advertisement

#952 choyothe

choyothe

• 2,312 posts

2 weekends in a row now, Hamilton has been clearly outpaced by Rosberg in Q2 only to turn it on in Q3, is it really a coincidence?

Not a coincidence, Australia Q2 wet, Q3 dryish in the end

Malaysia Q2 dry, Q3 wettish.

Hence, bad luck for Nico. I'm not saying Lewis couldn't have beaten him without the conditions changing but that doesn't change the fact.

#953 robefc

robefc

• 13,534 posts

It still amazes me how many people choose to overlook this. It's a classic Hamilton trait.

To be honest I don't recognise this as a Lewis trait, for me he is flat out from lap 1 in FP1.

#954 molpid

molpid

• 366 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 09:31

people claiming "ëverything else it doesn't matter", seem to grasp for straws now ;)

#955 f1fastestlap

f1fastestlap

• 2,373 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 09:32

To be honest I don't recognise this as a Lewis trait, for me he is flat out from lap 1 in FP1.

Then you're still not paying attention.
He has done this many times before...
What matters is Q3 and he delivers when it matters...

#956 Bartonz20let

Bartonz20let

• 1,860 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 09:33

Excuse me, but why do you call my post "bs"? (and I'm not a man). :rolleyes: It is simply my opinion that Lewis is a better qualifier than Nico, and had it remained dry, i.e. in qualy, then he would have remained ahead of Nico. I did not say anything about race pace, although I do reckon that Lewis will finish ahead of Nico tomorrow, because I think he is the better driver.

So there. :)

I like the cut of your jib :lol:

#957 f1supreme

f1supreme

• 2,828 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 09:34

It is a well known trait of Hamiltons. Vettel does it a lot to.

#958 Bartonz20let

Bartonz20let

• 1,860 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 09:35

Then you're still not paying attention.
He has done this many times before...
What matters is Q3 and he delivers when it matters...

Your not gonna win this, you may as well be shouting at a wall. Q1 & 2 are what counts apparently.

#959 Zoetrope

Zoetrope

• 1,408 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 09:35

I think everyone should just calm down a bit. We will eventually see them qualifying in normal conditions. And we will eventually see them doing it more than just one time, which isn't enough to build any conclusions.

All we know now it's 2-0 in Qualifying.

Advertisement

#960 Muz Bee

Muz Bee

• 2,956 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 09:36

Embarassed to be a Rosberg fan today with the silly comments from his fans here. Hamilton got the job done today simple as that. Both drivers acquitted themselves really well though and Nico's Q2 was a stonker. It seems that in some conditions the W04 works incredibly well but it's window is still narrow. I think they are still a good chance tomorrow depending on how malaysia's fickle weather behaves. Clearly both drivers have some speed in them and I think the changeable Q3 conditions masked the trues competitiveness of the Mercs. I think the RedBulls may struggle in the race tomorrow but Kimi is the wild card.

#961 choyothe

choyothe

• 2,312 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 09:38

It is a trait of him when his fans need it to be.

#962 f1fastestlap

f1fastestlap

• 2,373 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 09:40

Too bad your boy didn't do well today, must hurt like hell... :cool:

#963 maverick69

maverick69

• 5,975 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 09:42

Ok then. Forget about Hamilton.

Do you really think that any driver who is very likely to make it to the Q3 shootout shows their full hand/performance in Q1 and Q2?

#964 revlec

revlec

• 2,721 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 09:43

It is a well known trait of Hamiltons. Vettel does it a lot to.

I don't know if I will call it a Hamilton trait.

But if someone looks at the stats about qualifying sessions over the years (f1.com), it's clear that HAM and VET are the drivers who improve the most their times in Q3 on average compared to their team mates .

I have no idea how they do it. :drunk:

#965 NateF

NateF

• 4,056 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 09:44

Vettel is on pole. Or did I miss something? Disappointed LH didn't change tyres, but then again I didn't think he would be challenging for pole.

Edited by NateF, 23 March 2013 - 09:44.

#966 mlsnoopy

mlsnoopy

• 2,356 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 09:44

Embarassed to be a Rosberg fan today with the silly comments from his fans here. Hamilton got the job done today simple as that. Both drivers acquitted themselves really well though and Nico's Q2 was a stonker. It seems that in some conditions the W04 works incredibly well but it's window is still narrow. I think they are still a good chance tomorrow depending on how malaysia's fickle weather behaves. Clearly both drivers have some speed in them and I think the changeable Q3 conditions masked the trues competitiveness of the Mercs. I think the RedBulls may struggle in the race tomorrow but Kimi is the wild card.

I'm guessing they are not Rosberg fans

#967 robefc

robefc

• 13,534 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 09:46

I think everyone should just calm down a bit. We will eventually see them qualifying in normal conditions. And we will eventually see them doing it more than just one time, which isn't enough to build any conclusions.

All we know now it's 2-0 in Qualifying.

:up:

Lewis has out qualified nico in the wet and the dry.

On the other hand nico has looked like he had the pace on him in q1 snd q2 in the wet and the dry.

Set up differences could account for some of it, adam cooper also reported that Lewis had screwed up some setting or control last week in the wet.

For my money Lewis will consistently have a couple of tenths over Rosberg but for now the evidence is inconclusive.

#968 Muz Bee

Muz Bee

• 2,956 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 09:46

I was sitting there going "when are they pulling Lewis and Nico in for a fresh set?" It's not like they are going to use them for much running in the race as the primes should be king. Though if it's a certain kind of damp..... I really thought front row for one of them today.

#969 robefc

robefc

• 13,534 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 09:47

But if someone looks at the stats about qualifying sessions over the years (f1.com), it's clear that HAM and VET are the drivers who improve the most their times in Q3 on average compared to their team mates .

Have you looked?

Vettel from memory definitely, and it's usually Lewis moaning that they (RBs) pull out a chunk of time in Q3.

#970 skyform

skyform

• 426 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 09:48

Why are Nico fans becoming so hostile, Lewis beat him fair and square, the conditions where the same for all. Lewis just said after the quali that he would prefer dry conditions while Nico was very loud the whole week that he would prefer wet. Lewis did beat Nico in both dry and wet Q3's, when it matters, Lewis always has reserves for Q3, he almost never pushes in Q1 and Q2, looks like Nico simply shows his speed earlier than Lewis.

Nico looks very fast for sure and I'm pretty sure that he will beat Lewis many times this year but why is everyone getting so frustrated and bringing up all the excuses, Lewis beat Nico totaly fair in both quali's.

Relax guys, he already gets another chance tomorrow and 17 more in the future.

#971 River

River

• 179 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 09:50

Definitive proof Lewis is faster :p

At least they get on :)

#972 maverick69

maverick69

• 5,975 posts

I was sitting there going "when are they pulling Lewis and Nico in for a fresh set?" It's not like they are going to use them for much running in the race as the primes should be king. Though if it's a certain kind of damp..... I really thought front row for one of them today.

Could be a blessing in disguise though. As has been pointed out - they only burned one set of inters each. That could prove very significant if you have a "not quite wet.... not quite dry" phase of the race (kinda like Q3).

#973 f1supreme

f1supreme

• 2,828 posts

Exactly, you've proven my point. Both vettel and lewis often save their best for q3.merc need to improve their decision making.

#974 revlec

revlec

• 2,721 posts

Have you looked?

Vettel from memory definitely, and it's usually Lewis moaning that they (RBs) pull out a chunk of time in Q3.

compared to their team mates(not to other teams) I said..  ;)

#975 schumimercamg

schumimercamg

• 415 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 09:52

I will get criticised for calling this so early but to me it's clear that Rosberg is incredibly rapid and up there with Hamilton, Vettel, Alonso.

My username will also leave me open for flack when I say that is now clear that Schumi, a 44 year old who matched Rosberg in Quali last year, is now undeniably the best driver ever to have sat in an F1 car.

#976 slmk

slmk

• 4,398 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 09:52

Have you looked?

Get outta here.

#977 jrg19

jrg19

• 6,118 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 09:53

Why are Nico fans becoming so hostile, Lewis beat him fair and square, the conditions where the same for all. Lewis just said after the quali that he would prefer dry conditions while Nico was very loud the whole week that he would prefer wet. Lewis did beat Nico in both dry and wet Q3's, when it matters, Lewis always has reserves for Q3, he almost never pushes in Q1 and Q2, looks like Nico simply shows his speed earlier than Lewis.

Nico looks very fast for sure and I'm pretty sure that he will beat Lewis many times this year but why is everyone getting so frustrated and bringing up all the excuses, Lewis beat Nico totaly fair in both quali's.

Relax guys, he already gets another chance tomorrow and 17 more in the future.

Its not Nico fans who have the problem, its the Hamophobes.

#978 learningtobelost

learningtobelost

• 1,045 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 09:56

Definitive proof Lewis is faster :p

:rotfl:

#979 apoka

apoka

• 5,878 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 10:00

When did Rosberg and Hamilton cross the line for their fastest Q3 times, respectively?

http://en.mclarenf-1...on#.UU18OVGJSE0

Edited by apoka, 23 March 2013 - 10:01.

Advertisement

#980 f1supreme

f1supreme

• 2,828 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 10:04

When did Rosberg and Hamilton cross the line for their fastest Q3 times, respectively?

http://en.mclarenf-1...on#.UU18OVGJSE0

Nico did his fastest q3 time after lewis.

#981 robefc

robefc

• 13,534 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 10:07

compared to their team mates(not to other teams) I said.. ;)

Fair point but it's still vettel I recall pulling out a lot of time compared to his q1/q2 times, not lewis.

Genuinely asking if you have looked because I'm open to seeing the evidence but I doubt a few years of data for drivers showing gap between q2 and q3 is readily available and don't fancy going through each quali result to put a spreadsheet together! :)

#982 robefc

robefc

• 13,534 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 10:08

Could be a blessing in disguise though. As has been pointed out - they only burned one set of inters each. That could prove very significant if you have a "not quite wet.... not quite dry" phase of the race (kinda like Q3).

Definitely, however, I was also trying to work out whether 2 fresh plus 1 buggered is better or worse than 1 fresh plus 2 partly buggered in the event all 3 sets are needed.

#983 choyothe

choyothe

• 2,312 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 10:08

Yep, only pole by a second, rather disappointing by his standards.

Get outta here.

#984 MrAerodynamicist

MrAerodynamicist

• 14,226 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 10:09

For what it's worth, Lewis was 1/4 of a second behind Button in both Q1 and Q2 last year, but took pole when it mattered.

#985 maverick69

maverick69

• 5,975 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 10:13

Definitely, however, I was also trying to work out whether 2 fresh plus 1 buggered is better or worse than 1 fresh plus 2 partly buggered in the event all 3 sets are needed.

From what the various commentators and drives have said: The fresh inters have a significant advantage over 2 laps due to the "sharp edges" of the tread. They then basically stabalize for a good chunk of laps - unless you run them too much on a dry track. So I don't think they'll be too much more buggered than those who changed tyres.

#986 joshb

joshb

• 3,387 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 10:16

I know I'm using a small sample size here and dodgy weather but even taking into account Hamilton has the ability to deliver his best attempt when it counts more often than not, Rosberg seems to mess up a fair bit.
We saw it at the start of last year where he had 2 or 3 really scruffy Q3s when the car was capable of pole (Aus/Mal/Bah) when he was expected to deliver but didn't.
Again today, looked the part, then yes it rains, but he drops miles back from Hamilton

#987 maverick69

maverick69

• 5,975 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 10:19

Anyways. I'm off to put a tenner each on The Hammer (14/1) and Britney (25/1) FTW tomorrow :smoking:

#988 SYGRE

SYGRE

• 34 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 10:25

I remember NR "choking" a few times in Q3 last year,he has speed in bunches just not when it matters most.Lewis was business as usual.

Scorecard 3-0 so far.

#989 Gareth

Gareth
  • RC Forum Host

• 27,599 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 10:26

Good performance when it mattered from Hamilton today. Similar to Oz, really.

Still looks close between the two of them, IMO. Hamilton's edged it at the crucial times, but Rosberg keeps showing that he's going to keep the competition between the two of the tight IMO. Going to be a fun year I reckon.

#990 Muz Bee

Muz Bee

• 2,956 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 10:33

I remember NR "choking" a few times in Q3 last year,he has speed in bunches just not when it matters most.Lewis was business as usual.

Scorecard 3-0 so far.

But there's only been two events. :confused: :rolleyes:

#991 fed up

fed up

• 3,692 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 10:36

2 quali + 1 race = 3 - 0

:wave:

#992 molpid

molpid

• 366 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 10:36

= summing up Q and Race results so far

#993 pRy

pRy

• 26,349 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 10:38

Yeah there does seem to be a lot more natural bro-mance going on there than he had with Jenson. But they've known each other since they were kids so it makes sense and they've been team mates before. It will be an interesting test to see if the friendship can survive the season. Nico seems like a really fun guy.

Edited by pRy, 23 March 2013 - 10:41.

#994 Claudius

Claudius

• 5,232 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 10:38

The Swedish commentators are so pro Rosberg, it's getting really annyoing.
They were praising Rosberg in Q1 and Q2 and then in Q3, silence. Not a word about Lewis outqualifying Nico by a big margin when it mattered. A bit like some in this forum...

Lewis is off to a good start in Merc, great job.

#995 Lelouch

Lelouch

• 610 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 10:42

Scorecard 3-0 so far.

Yes iirc in both Australia and Sepang Nico didn't perform well last year then came China and he upped his game but ofc 4-5 races after that the W03 stopped actually qualifying as a car in both Saturday and Sunday. I hope that the W04 will not be a mystery car and a reliable one so that we will be able to assess their performance easier than the NR-MS years.

If reliability is not an issue I expect Lewis to beat Nico but in general I think it will be close both in quali and race. For me they are the best pair of the current grid and and the fastest too, so let's hope that Mercedes can keep up with them and the competition. Great stuff incoming hopefully :)

#996 MortenF1

MortenF1

• 23,753 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 10:46

The Swedish commentators are so pro Rosberg, it's getting really annyoing.
They were praising Rosberg in Q1 and Q2 and then in Q3, silence. Not a word about Lewis outqualifying Nico by a big margin when it mattered. A bit like some in this forum...

Lewis is off to a good start in Merc, great job.

Definitely a very impressive start for Hamilton, working with new engineers etc, but I think he's very often getting praise from "Blomman".

#997 kedia990

kedia990

• 433 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 10:54

Yes iirc in both Australia and Sepang Nico didn't perform well last year then came China and he upped his game but ofc 4-5 races after that the W03 stopped actually qualifying as a car in both Saturday and Sunday. I hope that the W04 will not be a mystery car and a reliable one so that we will be able to assess their performance easier than the NR-MS years.

If reliability is not an issue I expect Lewis to beat Nico but in general I think it will be close both in quali and race. For me they are the best pair of the current grid and and the fastest too, so let's hope that Mercedes can keep up with them and the competition. Great stuff incoming hopefully :)

#998 Claudius

Claudius

• 5,232 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 10:55

Definitely a very impressive start for Hamilton, working with new engineers etc, but I think he's very often getting praise from "Blomman".

Haha, you're listening to the Swedish broadcast? I'm surprised :)

Yeah neither Blomman nor Eje are against Hamilton, they just seem to be in love with Nico. I'm guessing it's because of Keke being born in Sweden. Sometimes they get a bit too partisan.

#999 MortenF1

MortenF1

• 23,753 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 11:01

Haha, you're listening to the Swedish broadcast? I'm surprised :)

Yeah neither Blomman nor Eje are against Hamilton, they just seem to be in love with Nico. I'm guessing it's because of Keke being born in Sweden. Sometimes they get a bit too partisan.

:) Have almost always listened to swedish commentators, right from when it was on TV4. (the norwegian commentators are clueless AND the main guy has an annoying voice!)
Agree that they probably feel a sort of alliance to Rosberg through Keke, and have developed a soft spot for Rosberg that way.

Advertisement

#1000 Anderis

Anderis

• 7,406 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 11:01

Raikkonen under investigation for impending Rosberg.

Was it in Q3?