Posted 26 January 2013 - 16:01

I guess that's 2013 engine:

https://twitter.com/...8301568/photo/1

It's the same engine as previous years.

#153 toxicfusion

toxicfusion

• 553 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 16:02

Don't think its the 2013 engine, using a picture of an old engine I'd guess looking at those exhausts.

#154 RedOne

RedOne

• 2,449 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 16:09

Slightly different. Thy effectively used PDLR to shake the car down and both race drivers still took part in the test.

Compared to Ferrari using Pedro for?

#155 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,767 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 16:56

Compared to Ferrari using Pedro for?

1 day after Massa has done the shakedown. Would have made more sense to me if PDLR had done the first day.

#156 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,767 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 16:57

Don't think its the 2013 engine, using a picture of an old engine I'd guess looking at those exhausts.

What makes you think they have a new engine for 2013?

#157 RedOne

RedOne

• 2,449 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 17:26

1 day after Massa has done the shakedown. Would have made more sense to me if PDLR had done the first day.

Maybe but maybe Massa needs to be the initial reference to do a direct comparison to last years car as I'm sure the engineers would be eager for that feedback first.

#158 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,767 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 17:39

Maybe but maybe Massa needs to be the initial reference to do a direct comparison to last years car as I'm sure the engineers would be eager for that feedback first.

I would think they would be more interested in making sure everything is working correctly the first day, no leaks, snags etc. At the end of it all it doesn't really matter who drives when.

#159 SCUDmissile

SCUDmissile

• 8,817 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 17:44

We can speculate why Ferrari have chosen to do this, but it has been confirmed that the new car will be the one tested at Jerez.

http://www.ferrari.c...ew-ferrari.aspx

They wouldn't say this just to retract this statement next week.

Advertisement

#160 SealTheDiffuser

SealTheDiffuser

• 2,416 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 17:53

I guess that's the 2002 engine.

also for Clatter, some non homologated items on the engine could show that some engine is the 2013 engine (oil tank etc.).

Edited by SealTheDiffuser, 26 January 2013 - 18:06.

#161 George Costanza

George Costanza

• 4,559 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 18:04

That's the 2003 V10...

#162 showtime

showtime

• 3,032 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 18:08

First day is mostly a shakedown, PDLR needs a normal test day so the sensations and data gathered is useful to be used in the simulator. The last day, with all the little problems already solved makes perfect sense.

#163 Busted

Busted

• 9 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 18:12

I guess that's the 2002 engine.

That's the 2003 V10...

Thank you guys for correcting me. :)

#164 Showty

Showty

• 2,185 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 21:16

Looks good on red, hope his contribution helps the team to move forward.

Posted Image

#165 ATM_Andy

ATM_Andy

• 1,482 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 21:21

Looks good on red, hope his contribution helps the team to move forward.

Posted Image

He's an absolutely top guy, you really couldn't ask for anyone better.

#166 Gfhuus

Gfhuus

• 118 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 21:30

The one where you can google it and find out yourself but since you seem to have no idea here you go

http://www.formula1....009/1/8852.html

No need to get all cranky, I was just asking a question :drunk:. That didn't make people wonder as much because both race drivers attended the test. It isn't the same case here. Simples.

#167 RedOne

RedOne

• 2,449 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 02:36

No need to get all cranky, I was just asking a question :drunk:. That didn't make people wonder as much because both race drivers attended the test. It isn't the same case here. Simples.

I really don't know what point you're trying to prove here..

Edited by RedOne, 27 January 2013 - 02:37.

#168 aray

aray

• 5,831 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 03:05

somehow PDLR seems like a going to be grandpa trying a ferrari jumper to me ... :drunk:

#169 kosmos

kosmos

• 11,902 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 04:06

According to Marca:

Posted Image

http://www.marca.com...1359224022.html

#170 fabr68

fabr68

• 3,963 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 04:21

If you're referencing to mclaren running turvey & paffet at mugello, you have very selective memory.

My first guess would be injury as well. I think they'd rather not advertise it to everybody, should it be true. Second guess that there will be a major upgrade package at 2nd test, and they prioritize alonsos input on that. Third guess is that they want to give both drives as many consecutive days acclimatizing to the car and examining setups as possible. You'd guess doing back to back stuff over a longer period of days could be pretty productive.

Or Alonso gave up his test slot so De la Rosa would have some time on the car before he does his work on the simulator. The benefit of Alonso driving on the first test may not be as high as giving De la Rosa a baseline of what the real car feels like. In the long run this will help the whole team because Alonso or Massa will not be doing simulator work, Pedro will. To simulate something you need to know how that something works in the real world.

Since Massa did not give up his test slot, it is likely Alonso did because he has worked with Pedro before and likely weighted this as a benefit.

#171 HPT

HPT

• 2,111 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 05:49

According to Marca:

Posted Image

Thanks for that Kosmos!

How accurate has Marca been when it comes to things like these? The general opinion of Marca when it comes to news is that it is closer to tabloid, isn't it?

Anyways, if it's accurate then it certainly looks interesting. It's good to see that Ferrari are exploring the tunnel at the exhaust area ala RBR.

#6 looks pretty interesting as well. Looks like it's some sort of passive DDRS.

#172 kosmos

kosmos

• 11,902 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 06:04

Posted Image

#173 Kingshark

Kingshark

• 2,944 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 06:38

Please, let the 2013 car at last be a stellar and a class of the field. All we need is a car equal to the best (likely RBR) and obviously reliable. Fernando will do the rest.

Ferrari need to end this drought of undelivered cars since 2009. Fact is, that we haven`t had the best car since 2008, and not a true competitive contender since 2010. After years on years of disappointing cars, I`m praying for nothing less than both championships in 2013. It`d also finally shut up those annoying Raikkonen fanboys.

#174 ixnay

ixnay

• 198 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 06:47

PDLR has had some experience driving a Ferrari anyway.

Edited by ixnay, 27 January 2013 - 14:00.

#175 mclara

mclara

• 2,282 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 08:50

Thanks for that Kosmos!

How accurate has Marca been when it comes to things like these? The general opinion of Marca when it comes to news is that it is closer to tabloid, isn't it?

Anyways, if it's accurate then it certainly looks interesting. It's good to see that Ferrari are exploring the tunnel at the exhaust area ala RBR.

#6 looks pretty interesting as well. Looks like it's some sort of passive DDRS.

If thats how we can expect it to look I must say it is beautiful. With the high nose and the step gone. I really like the proportions. High nose and high rear wing and thin around the rear bodywork. :)

#176 ArkZ

ArkZ

• 611 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 08:53

Well lot's of people around the world (journalists, fans) are expecting that Ferrari will change radiators position, explore coke-bottle area with ramp exhaust and tunnel below it. Personally I'am curious which path the team will choose introduce those solutions or maybe some innovative things .DRS will be also interesting, will they stay with short flap after regulation changes?.

#177 prda

prda

• 35 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 08:53

Mclaren proved last year you don't need Newey to create a really fast car, so Ferrari has no excuses now. If they fail to produce a car at least within a few tenths of the fastest, then heads must roll.

#178 ArkZ

ArkZ

• 611 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 09:16

Exactly, I said it once. Last year there was a lot of hype about RB updetes like "must have" to be competitive, McLaren proved them wrong and without ramp exhaust, tunnel and DDRS they stayed with the fastest car in the end, also Fry already said there won't be huge visual difference but there will be a lot of interesting things under the skin. We will see, I'am curious.

#179 H2H

H2H

• 2,891 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 09:19

Well lot's of people around the world (journalists, fans) are expecting that Ferrari will change radiators position, explore coke-bottle area with ramp exhaust and tunnel below it. Personally I'am curious which path the team will choose introduce those solutions or maybe some innovative things .DRS will be also interesting, will they stay with short flap after regulation changes?.

The biggest single 'bit' should be development of the DRD, but arguably the other highly interesting areas will be the ones interacting heavily with the airstreams influencing the exhaust plumes. I wonder if Ferrari sticks with the McLaren approach or will switch to the RBR take. Maybe they will even come up with a fresh idea, this would be nice to see.

Advertisement

#180 RedOne

RedOne

• 2,449 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 11:04

According to Marca:

Posted Image

1-New design philosophy for the front wing(s), the work of David Sanchez (ex McLaren) a front and rear wing expert, the new wings will be clearly be inspired by McLaren, interesting to see if it will flex also, despite the new FIA tests.
2-An aesthetic cover is allowed to hide the step nose, but is not required, teams could decide to run it's cars with the step nose if they see an advantage.
3-As mentioned before the F2013 will have pull-rod at the front and the rear, but will be changed mechanically compared to last season, especially the front pull-rod will be completely redesigned, as said before, it gives aerodynamical advantages and allows a lower COG, but it also created some mechanical problems and it's very time consuming to make adjustements.
4-The sides will be much smaller and less bulky and the radiators will be slightly inclined, to solve the problem of internal drag found last year due to the vertical position of the radiators.
5-In the rear area we will almost certain see a solution, as seen on this year Red Bull, but also as far back as on the Williams FW16 1994, this solution is to encase the rear suspension with an aerodynamic foil, including the triangles of the suspension and the axle shaft, in this way, the whole rear suspension becomes an airflow profile.
This profile will guide the airflow to the lower profile of the rear wing and the diffusor, thereby increasing the downforce of the car.
6-During the winter tests Ferrari will test their version of a passive DRS, enabling them to stall the rear wing in certain area's.
7-The F2013 will most likely have the sides(ducts)/exhaust concept as seen on the Sauber and Red Bull, this system has proven to be the most effective way of using the hot air from the exhausts and improving downforce, because of this change, they will also have to redesign the diffusor.
Translation from Massimo

Edited by RedOne, 27 January 2013 - 11:08.

#181 sheepgobba

sheepgobba

• 1,124 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 11:13

PDLR has has some experience driving a Ferrari anyway.

Haha, I see what you did there :lol:

#182 Markn93

Markn93

• 4,621 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 11:15

Should be a very strong car, if the improvements materialise based on the Marca article.

#183 toxicfusion

toxicfusion

• 553 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 12:19

1-New design philosophy for the front wing(s), the work of David Sanchez (ex McLaren) a front and rear wing expert, the new wings will be clearly be inspired by McLaren, interesting to see if it will flex also, despite the new FIA tests.

The trouble with these tipbits is people now expect some very different looking front wings at the launch, but the reality will be that the wings will be last years and people will accuse Ferrari of lack of new idea :lol:

#184 showtime

showtime

• 3,032 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 12:59

Marca is just guessing based on trends, suppositions and reg changes.

#185 kosmos

kosmos

• 11,902 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 14:16

According to one Spanish journo, Fry wanted Pedro to test one day to check the correlation between the new car in the simulator and the real life.

#186 Gfhuus

Gfhuus

• 118 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 14:25

I really don't know what point you're trying to prove here..

It's ok, let's be friends :kiss:

Or Alonso gave up his test slot so De la Rosa would have some time on the car before he does his work on the simulator. The benefit of Alonso driving on the first test may not be as high as giving De la Rosa a baseline of what the real car feels like. In the long run this will help the whole team because Alonso or Massa will not be doing simulator work, Pedro will. To simulate something you need to know how that something works in the real world.

Since Massa did not give up his test slot, it is likely Alonso did because he has worked with Pedro before and likely weighted this as a benefit.

I have no trouble understanding why they want de la Rosa to test. I'm sure it's pretty much essential to have him drive the real car in order to be useful in simulator & other development work. Plus it's great pr to let him drive a Ferrari in his home country. :). But as said, putting pedro in the car didn't require Alonso to skip the first test entirely. They could have done the same thing as Mclaren did in 2009, which was referenced earlier.

Fernando sacrificing his own test days because Massa didn't want to sounds a bit unlikely to me, but your guess is as good as mine. :)

#187 Ferrari2183

Ferrari2183

• 11,578 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 16:18

The Marca illustration doesn't match the profile that was posted by Ferrari on their social media accounts.

#188 H2H

H2H

• 2,891 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 16:26

According to one Spanish journo, Fry wanted Pedro to test one day to check the correlation between the new car in the simulator and the real life.

This would be expected.

#189 steferrari

steferrari

• 1,591 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 16:28

The Marca illustration doesn't match the profile that was posted by Ferrari on their social media accounts.

You mean this one ?

http://i809.photobuc...zpsddcb2efd.jpg

If yes, i don't think it meant to represent the actual car, i'm sure it's just a "random" drawing (McLaren use it as well in the past).

#190 Zava

Zava

• 7,116 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 16:29

of course, why should it match the MP4-26? :smoking: :p

#191 RedOne

RedOne

• 2,449 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 16:51

This is what I said on the previous page. Pedro will be doing a lot of simulator work so it's vital he has some experience of the new car.

#192 kosmos

kosmos

• 11,902 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 04:37

This is what I said on the previous page. Pedro will be doing a lot of simulator work so it's vital he has some experience of the new car.

It seems that Ferrari it's going to build a new simulator to match the new "state of the art" Maranello wind tunnel, they were thinking about hiring Buemi, at the end was Pedro, at least according to the Spanish media.

#193 Owen

Owen

• 13,178 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 09:07

http://www.yallaf1.c.....8YallaF1.com)

No stepped nose it says :clap:

#194 Massa

Massa

• 10,115 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 09:23

I can't wait to watch the new car. I like this period of the year, when we saw for the first time a car.

#195 Showty

Showty

• 2,185 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 12:10

I would take Marca´s report regarding the car as pure speculation.

They do this every year, they take new rule´s and make some graphics about how the car could look, but there´s no inside info at all.

Of course at some point they might get something right.

#196 carbonfibre

carbonfibre

• 6,788 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 13:45

It makes zero sense to me that he is going to miss the first test because he want to stay 3 or 4 days in the gym, I doubt that this will make any difference over a season. Maybe he is recovering from some injury that has not been revealed. Felipe and Pedro are more than capable of doing whatever they need to do in the first test, but this news are strange.

Exactly it sounds very strange to me as well.

Schumacher never missed out on doing testing, but maybe now with new simulators it's ok to do it. I just feel that driving the real car on track is going to give you way more information and feeling then you can ever get in a simulator. And besides that that excuse of working on his condition is a bad one really.

I mean he has had all winter to work on his condition and if it all depends on those 4 days of not testing then it would be a worlds first. But i assume Alonso thinks he can afford to lose the track time.

#197 kosmos

kosmos

• 11,902 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 14:53

Pedro was today in Madrid, he said that he has been working for 2 weeks already, he will be in the circuits and some teams approached him but Ferrari was the faster.

#198 MrPodium

MrPodium

• 693 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 14:57

That's the 2003 V10...

Are you sure, as it seems to have only four exhaust outlets (per side)....

Edited by MrPodium, 28 January 2013 - 14:57.

#199 Anonymous

Anonymous

• 2,948 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 15:23

They stole it from McLaren. It's exactly the same.

Advertisement

#200 Massa

Massa

• 10,115 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 15:36

They stole it from McLaren. It's exactly the same.

:rolleyes: