• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Richard Jenkins

Richard Jenkins

• 7,209 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 21:58

Very, very sad news. :cry:

http://www.wibc.com/...aspx?ID=1851255

He was pictured at a historic festival only a couple of months ago, just after being released from jail, before the law caught up with him again. What a tragic end to a tragic life.

Advertisement

#2 ellrosso

ellrosso

• 1,616 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 23:13

Salt Walther at AIR Rothmans Series McRae GM1 - RIP

Posted Image

#3 ensign14

ensign14

• 61,758 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 23:16

I read somewhere his addiction to painkillers came from his '73 crash. Whatever else one thought of him - and I don't know whether his rubbing the establishment up the wrong way was an act a la Ali/Waltrip - it took guts to get back to racing after that.

#4 Gokart Mozart

Gokart Mozart

• 223 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 23:50

Very sad news.

My family brought our former Chip Mead 1981 Eagle-Cosworth to the Dayton Concours d'Elegance three months back to reunite it with the city of Dayton, and in the middle of the day a female judge came over and said Salt Walther wanted to see us, and pointed to a man getting some shade under a nearby tree. I figured it would be pretty neat to meet a man who raced against the Eagle (1981 at Pocono and Michigan), and to see what kind of man Salt was, as I'd heard many stories, but I could tell he was very interested in our car.

Thirty-nine years after his '73 accident, he still had to wear a glove to protect his left hand from infection. His other hand was somewhat mangled, but you could tell he did not want anyone to think he was lacking in the strength department as he gave me a rather mighty handshake upon our meeting. He said nothing but great things about Chip Mead and our restoration, and said he had a great affection for anyone who restores vintage race cars, as those people are the caretakers of so many memories that can't be relived through photos - I'll never forget him saying that.

We invited him to sit down behind our display and we chatted for a good half hour about his racing career, his later drug use, a career in Hollywood and his loud nature during his younger years. He said he was currently writing a book about all of it, and that he was trying to make up for a life of many wrong turns. I could sincerely tell he was a man out to make peace with the world, and that he didn't want to leave the area around our car.

May you finally find peace Salt...

- Jacques Dresang

Edited by Gokart Mozart, 28 December 2012 - 23:53.

#5 E1pix

E1pix

• 23,429 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 00:02

Wonderful tribute, Mozart. :)

RIP, Mr. Walther.

#6 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 6,709 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 00:19

Posted Image

Salt Walther McLaren Cosworth M24 Daily Express Indy, Silverstone 1/10/78 st 12th f 7th.

I'm pretty sure Salt said something like he would rather "drive a safe car on a dangerous circuit than a dangerous car on a safe one" when he came to visit us at Silverstone in 1978, for some reason that has always stuck in my head anyway and I guess he would have plenty of experience to have made a valid call.

RIP Mr Walther.

#7 JacnGille

JacnGille

• 2,806 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 01:24

Sad news.

#8 jj2728

jj2728

• 2,966 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 02:41

Sad news indeed. RIP Salt

#9 Henri Greuter

Henri Greuter

• 12,869 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 15:56

I remember when in Indy 1990 when he tried to qualify an old Penske and actually made it into the field before being bumped after all.
Indy was hard on him.
But anyone returning to the track to race there after a crash like he had in '73 is a hero.
Like him

Rest in peace Salt, That you may find peace and rest at long last.

Henri

#10 cpbell

cpbell

• 6,964 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 21:31

R.I.P. I've long been haunted by the footage of that dreadful race, and of Art Pollard's fatal crash in practice, despite being British and steeped in Formula 1 as opposed to US open-wheeled racing. Walthers' courage in returning to racing despite his injuries, and his struggles thereafter always seemed to me to be a form of life sentence.

#11 David M. Kane

David M. Kane

• 5,402 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 04:36

God speed Salt RIP

#12 Lemnpiper

Lemnpiper

• 1,021 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 08:53

Posted Image

Salt Walther McLaren Cosworth M24 Daily Express Indy, Silverstone 1/10/78 st 12th f 7th.

I'm pretty sure Salt said something like he would rather "drive a safe car on a dangerous circuit than a dangerous car on a safe one" when he came to visit us at Silverstone in 1978, for some reason that has always stuck in my head anyway and I guess he would have plenty of experience to have made a valid call.

RIP Mr Walther.

I noticed in reading the results of both the Silverstone 10/1/1978 and Brands Hatch 10/7/1978 that of all the starters Salt Walther was the 1st to pass away.

Is that some kind of a record for a starting line up (15 drivers in this case ) to all survive for 34 years after the racers were held?
I also realize the smaller sized field played a part too but still 34 years does show a remarkable amount of safety the sport has achieved

Also is there anyway to learn what race now is the oldest with an intact living starting lineup off all it's drivers ( considering Tony Bettenhausen Jr , Tim Richmond , Scott Brayton, Mike Mosely , Jim Crawford plus others now deceased) made so many starts post 1978 to lessen the possibilities? (as an example all starters from the 1998 Indy 500 are still alive)

Paul

#13 ryan86

ryan86

• 1,100 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 14:31

I think I'm right in thinking that Michele Alboreto is the driver with the most recent F1 start who has passed away. So we would have all survivors from the 1995 Brazilian GP (Senna started all races Alboreto missed during the the late 80's and early 90's)

Edited by ryan86, 31 December 2012 - 17:17.

#14 Lemnpiper

Lemnpiper

• 1,021 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 19:24

I think I'm right in thinking that Michele Alboreto is the driver with the most recent F1 start who has passed away. So we would have all survivors from the 1995 Brazilian GP (Senna started all races Alboreto missed during the the late 80's and early 90's)

And for NASCAR Dale Earnhardt Sr death removeds anything from 1979 to Daytona 2001 on the sprint cup circuit ( Bobby Hamilton sr) also removes a few later races.