Photo
* * - - - 3 votes

The Best 2013 Driver's Line Up

• Please log in to reply
96 replies to this topic

Poll: Which team has the strongest driver line-up for 2013? (266 member(s) have cast votes)

The Best 2013 Driver's Line Up

1. Red Bull (89 votes [33.71%])

Percentage of vote: 33.71%

2. Ferrari (23 votes [8.71%])

Percentage of vote: 8.71%

3. Mclaren (15 votes [5.68%])

Percentage of vote: 5.68%

4. Lotus (24 votes [9.09%])

Percentage of vote: 9.09%

5. Mercedes (105 votes [39.77%])

Percentage of vote: 39.77%

6. Sauber (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

7. Williams (7 votes [2.65%])

Percentage of vote: 2.65%

8. Toro Rosso (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

9. Marussia (1 votes [0.38%])

Percentage of vote: 0.38%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Kingshark

Kingshark

• 2,944 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 19:12

Here's last years poll.

http://forums.autosp...w...t=0&start=0

Of course. A lot has changed in one year. Mclaren and Mercedes have a new drivers onboard, the Lotus duo has had a chance to impress. Ferrari and Red Bull have retained last seasons line up, but both Webber and Massa have improved from 2011.

Therefore, I am expecting the result of this voting to be quite a bit closer than last years.

2013 Drivers Line Up
http://en.wikipedia....ams_and_drivers

The reason to why Caterham and Force India aren't in the poll is because three of those four drivers are yet to be announced, not that it should make much of a difference though.

Advertisement

#2 rm111

rm111

• 406 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 19:22

RedBull

#3 Szoelloe

Szoelloe

• 7,054 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 19:29

I voted Mercedes(how surprising....), but with some 'virtual' question marks, because of NR. If anything else, they are the most interesting pair next year. Many questions will be answered. It will be fascinating.
If not, than RB is next in line for me.
The Lotus driver pairing is not among the strongest, I doubt RG will be much better this coming season.
Ferrari is among the strongest, with a 'broken in' FM. In terms of consistently maximizing their score, they could be the strongest in fact.
I don't have a clue about Mc. I'm clueless about how well SP will do.

#4 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 19:31

RBR

#5 Lord_Shaitan

Lord_Shaitan

• 1,174 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 19:33

Lotus I believe.

#6 Zava

Zava

• 7,115 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 19:39

RBR = merc > lotus > mclaren > ferrari is the top teams order for me, though if Massa can bring his second half of the year game all year long, ferrari can jump ahead of lotus.

#7 PretentiousBread

PretentiousBread

• 2,906 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 19:42

Red Bull & Merc, though if Massa was able to replicate his end of season form more often you'd say Ferrari as well. With McLaren, their pair will surely pick up good points, but it's the first time in I don't know how long that they are missing a benchmark type driver, and can't be certain that everything is being extracted from their machinery on a regular basis. For that reason they vie with Ferrari for joint runners up spot for me.

EDIT: Completely forgot about Lotus. Like Massa at Ferrari, if Grosjean can cut out all the mistakes (which I believe to be unlikely) then they could be ranked similarly to Merc & RB.

Edited by PretentiousBread, 29 December 2012 - 19:45.

#8 Craven Morehead

Craven Morehead

• 6,287 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 19:57

Lotus I believe.

So, the team with the best driver line up is the team that had one of the drivers crashing out if half of the races?

Interesting point of view.  ;)

#9 DaddyCool

DaddyCool

• 1,796 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 20:01

To me

"No 1 drivers": Alonso=Vettel=Hamilton=Raikkonen>Button

Considering equipment available and teammate comparisons Rosberg impressed me more in the last years than Webber, Massa, Grosjean and Perez, therefore I voted Mercedes.

#10 SpartanChas

SpartanChas

• 910 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 20:01

Red Bull, Ferrari if massa can pick up where he left off.

I think Mercedes should be just as good as red bull once Lewis gets settled in and if he continues his 2012 form.

#11 MortenF1

MortenF1

• 23,711 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 20:02

Very, very hard to choose between Mercedes and Red Bull. I said McLaren had the best pairing with Hamilton and Button, but I think Rosberg is similar to Button.

Similar with Lotus and Ferrari, hard to choose.

#12 scheivlak

scheivlak

• 16,465 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 20:02

So, the team with the best driver line up is the team that had one of the drivers crashing out if half of the races?

Interesting point of view. ;)

This is a 2013 poll  ;)

#13 Craven Morehead

Craven Morehead

• 6,287 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 20:10

True. I expect him to improve also, but not to the extent that some others seem to. :)

#14 paulogman

paulogman

• 2,642 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 20:30

red bull
three time champ vettel
proven race winner webber who keeps vettel from losing focus

ferrari
alonso
and an on form massa can win could be in the title fight

renault
raikkonen will only get better
his team mate will crash into all his rivals, couldn't ask for more

merc
doesn't really matter who is driving because the team is not cohesive and money doesn't win titles

#15 Kingshark

Kingshark

• 2,944 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 20:55

merc
doesn't really matter who is driving because the team is not cohesive and money doesn't win titles

This poll is purely based on drivers line-up ability, not teams.

#16 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 21,814 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 21:13

Cant really pick between Mercedes, Red Bull or Ferrari.

All 3 have top-level drivers with teammates I consider 2nd tier. Should note that Ferrari wouldn't be included if not for Massa's late-season form. If he cant keep that up, then they're definitely not in the running for best pairing.

Lotus are close, but I dont think either driver is really top-tier.

#17 Juan Kerr

Juan Kerr

• 3,151 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 21:17

One thing we all do know though is that McLaren have shot themselves in the foot and they'd better produce the best car because the drivers will not out-perform the car.

#18 Lone

Lone

• 1,122 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 21:41

The fastest pairing should be the Ferrari duo but since the car will be set up/built at Alonsos preference only, they will not be the best line up.

The Lotus duo is close with Räikkonen beeing even faster than the Ferrari duo but with Grosjean beeing incredibly fast but error prone they will fall short of beeing the best duo.

McLaren and Mercedes pairings? No, since there is no star driver in McLaren and because Hamilton will most likely be beaten by Rosberg thus raising the question about how good he actually is.

Therefore my vote goes to the Red Bull drivers since they have a record of three straight WDC and WCC.

Edited by Lone, 29 December 2012 - 21:47.

#19 BigCHrome

BigCHrome

• 4,049 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 22:02

Mercedes.

Advertisement

#20 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 21,814 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 22:19

The fastest pairing should be the Ferrari duo but since the car will be set up/built at Alonsos preference only, they will not be the best line up.

Has Massa ever once complained that his lack of performance was ever down to the car not being setup for him, but for Alonso instead?

Edited by Seanspeed, 29 December 2012 - 22:19.

#21 Lone

Lone

• 1,122 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 22:32

Has Massa ever once complained that his lack of performance was ever down to the car not being setup for him, but for Alonso instead?

That's just how I see it. I'm sorry if the way I see things diminishes your favourite drivers accomplishments, in this case Alonsos. I didn't mean to insult any driver or any fan but I was only expressing an opinion, right or wrong.

#22 Disgrace

Disgrace

• 31,165 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 22:38

Cant really pick between Mercedes, Red Bull or Ferrari.

All 3 have top-level drivers with teammates I consider 2nd tier. Should note that Ferrari wouldn't be included if not for Massa's late-season form. If he cant keep that up, then they're definitely not in the running for best pairing.

Lotus are close, but I dont think either driver is really top-tier.

This is what it comes down to for me as well. Of the latter, Rosberg is who I would sign up over Webber and Massa.

#23 KoezhVukotic

KoezhVukotic

• 235 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 22:44

Red Bull have best blend of speed, experience and luck :p (runs and hides)

Although clearly not the best I think the signs are that Williams will have one of the fastest, if perhaps erratic lineups

#24 Diderlo

Diderlo

• 170 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 22:45

You don't complain about your boss or his decisions in front of the press. Or atleast you shouldn't. In any job.
I'm not saying that Massa's car is BAD because of Alonso though. Number 1 driver policy is quite obvious, but that doesn't necessarily be that big a deal on pace. It makes a difference, but we can't tell how big.

Recent translate from Marca:

Team principal Domenicali picks up the theme.
"Why does Webber have so many failures on his car? Because the best parts go to the driver getting the better results."
"And this is normal, and it seems so logical that we never say anything."
"We don't like to speak of the others, but the others like to talk about us," he added.

Edit, source:
http://www.onestopst... to Vettel.html

Voted for RBR

Edited by Diderlo, 29 December 2012 - 22:51.

#25 V8 Fireworks

V8 Fireworks

• 10,824 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 22:50

RedBull

If Rosberg proves to be match Hamilton (which I think will be the case) then it should be Mercedes, as the poll seems to suggest. If Rosberg has a different driving style, it could be a problem for providing equality though. (of couse, Hamilton could show that Nico is the new Fisichella, which would be embarrassing for Rosberg)

Webber is unable to drive with Vettel's EBD "trick" and struggles sometimes when the car has been better optimized to Vettel's technique (all of a sudden Webber is all over the place, such as Australia 2011). With a neutral car, Webber is fairly close to Vettel though, and indeed sometimes better and sometimes a lot better at least in qually speed such as Monaco 2012 :) .

#26 DutchQuicksilver

DutchQuicksilver

• 6,304 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 22:51

Easily Mercedes. Hamilton is better than Vettel whilst Rosberg appears stronger than Webber I think. I can only hope Mercedes offers them a competitive car next season.

#27 V8 Fireworks

V8 Fireworks

• 10,824 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 23:01

"Why does Webber have so many failures on his car? Because the best parts go to the driver getting the better results."

Maybe Ferrari just has better quality control than Red Bull, as Vettel car also breaks down a lot too...

On that topic, it is bizarre that major auto maker such as VAG chooses to fit a gearbox to 100,000s of cars, when they must know it has well below average reliability! It is not like VW owners don't notice when their cars breaks down and needs thousands in repairs --- and it is not like they lose repeat buyers with mild statements like "never again VW" or anything is it!? :confused: ;)

Edited by V8 Fireworks, 29 December 2012 - 23:01.

#28 joshb

joshb

• 3,387 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 23:02

Red Bull

Vettel a bit better than Hamilton and Webber a bit better than Rosberg

Mercedes next, then Ferrari, Lotus and Mclaren.

An on form Massa sees Ferrari jump to 2nd, then a small gap between Ferrari and Lotus/Mclaren

#29 V8 Fireworks

V8 Fireworks

• 10,824 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 23:04

Hamilton is better than Vettel

Good one :lol:

Oh, you are serious. :stoned:

Seriously, there is no proof either way until they are directly compared in the same team, IMO. If anything current evidence suggests Vettel is a little more consistent than Hamilton, but with similar speed.

#30 Mc_Silver

Mc_Silver

• 5,304 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 23:10

Mercedes

#31 rijole1

rijole1

• 633 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 23:13

Red Bull, I think

#32 Juan Kerr

Juan Kerr

• 3,151 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 23:20

Red Bull

Vettel a bit better than Hamilton and Webber a bit better than Rosberg

Mercedes next, then Ferrari, Lotus and Mclaren.

An on form Massa sees Ferrari jump to 2nd, then a small gap between Ferrari and Lotus/Mclaren

Vettel is not better than Hamilton, anyone who thinks he is is kidding themselves and as for Rosberg being better than Hamilton those who think that need to stop smoking mind altering substances.

#33 Wander

Wander

• 2,367 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 23:24

Sort of wanted to vote for Lotus or Ferrari, but ended up going the easy route and voted for Mercedes.

But actually, now I think it's Ferrari again.

#34 slmk

slmk

• 4,398 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 23:32

Good one :lol:

Oh, you are serious. :stoned:

Seriously, there is no proof either way until they are directly compared in the same team, IMO. If anything current evidence suggests Vettel is a little more consistent than Hamilton, but with similar speed.

Current evidence being 2012 points towards Hamilton being the better driver, actually.

#35 jrg19

jrg19

• 6,118 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 23:39

Voted Mercedes, main reason being that both have beaten WDC team mates in multiple seasons.

#36 SRK

SRK

• 220 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 23:41

Mercedes or Red Bull. I'm not sure. Ferrari and Lotus behind them. Clos behind if Massa will ride as well as at the end of the season and Grosjean in the middle of the season. The rest is also interesting. McLaren seems to be a midfield line up leader. Next Williams, Sauber, Toro Rosso and Marusia.

Finally voted Mercedes.

Edited by SRK, 29 December 2012 - 23:45.

#37 l2k2

l2k2

• 976 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 23:54

An interesting question. Obviously the top teams have three kind of drivers: champions, championship contenders, and (to date) useless drivers. (A driver, who has not yet managed to challenge for the WDC is almosst irrelevant when estimating the driver lineup.)

A WDC means more than any number of times as contender (only winners are remembered) and only the better driver counts (see previous). Let us sort the teams using this criterion.

1. Red Bull
3×WDC, 1×contender
1×contender

2. Ferrari
2×WDC, 3×contender
1×contender

3. Lotus
1×WDC, 3×contender

4. Mercedes
1×WDC, 2×contender

5. McLaren
1×WDC (notice: runner-up does not equal being a contender)

#38 crooky369

crooky369

• 628 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 23:55

Red Bull edges it for me over Mercedes by virtue of me personally thinking that Webber is slightly better than Nico.

But... If Massa was in the form of the last few races then Ferrari could easily have the strongest team and also don't count out Mclaren if Perez turns out to be better than expected.

#39 Spillage

Spillage

• 10,251 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 00:11

Am surprised by the number of votes given to Mercedes. Do people really think Rosberg is better than Webber?

For me, its RB that have the best line-up this year, although it depends upon whether Massa can carry forward the form he displayed in the latter part of 2012. Also keeping an eye on Lotus, who have the potential to have the best line-up on the grid if Kimi can improve on last year and Grosjean can sort out his head.

Advertisement

#40 BernieEc

BernieEc

• 2,131 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 01:13

Ferrari is definitely the one with the better driver pairing. That is with the caveat and assumption that Massa brings his "A" game (2nd half of the 2012 season). Then I think its a toss up between Merc and Redbull. My reason being that Rosberg to me is still an unknown quantity and the fact he bettered Schumacher is not really a convincing enough argument. With regards to Redbull Vettel is definitely good but with Webber am sorry but I think he is one of the most inconsistent and erratic drivers I have come across. in one race he's up ther and in the next 2 races he won't make it into Q3.....am not sure what goes on with him...

based on that I would say Ferrari >Merc = Redbull >Lotus >McLaren > Williams.

Edited by BernieEc, 30 December 2012 - 01:13.

#41 Juan Kerr

Juan Kerr

• 3,151 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 01:33

Vettel will tell you himself that Hamilton is the faster driver, car reliability is not a reason to favour one driver over another, car performance is though because you have the teammates to compare and general performance in any car and against any teammate which easily point to Hamilton being by far the better driver.

#42 Jimisgod

Jimisgod

• 4,954 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 03:02

Mercedes > RBR > Ferrari > McLaren > Lotus

Kimi is fast, but Grosjean is absolute rubbish. Perez is yet to be judged and too man people on the board are acting as though he's worse than Ide or Deletraz just because he replaced Hamilton.

Order of #1 drivers, gaps are very small though:

Alonso > Vettel > Hamilton > Raikkonen > Button

And #2 drivers:

Rosberg > Webber > Perez (just a guess) > Massa > Grosjean

#43 V8 Fireworks

V8 Fireworks

• 10,824 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 03:07

Webber am sorry but I think he is one of the most inconsistent and erratic drivers I have come across. in one race he's up ther and in the next 2 races he won't make it into Q3.....am not sure what goes on with him...

Oi! In Valencia, Webber's DRS was not working at all so he had no chance, that darn flap is worth what 1-2 seconds a lap in qually?

But I do agree. The race at Monza was a disaster for instance: Vettel got a penalty yet he still managed to charge back through the field and pass Webbo! Crikey.

To those saying Hamilton > Vettel, based on 2012 evidence. As Letterman would say "What!?" Who won the WDC? Who did those crazy overtakes on the outside at places like Spa? It's true the McLaren team underperformed, but Vettel also retired from the lead of races too.

#44 bourbon

bourbon

• 7,265 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 03:19

Macca, Lotus, RBR will challenge for 1st full on. RBR will likely lead. Lotus could challenge if Grosjean gets his act together. Button should feel the car as it is presumably developed toward him, but Perez will still pull a stunner, so that is going to be a points rich duo - they will be the main challenger to Red Bull, assuming their relability rate and team strategy/pits stops betters 2012.

If Ferrari allow Massa soon enough, they will be in the running for WCC podium.

I don't think Williams is quite up for the challenge yet, but they would be the new dark horse together with Merc. Bottas should assist and if Maldonado continues to control his little red mist problem, they should challenge. Lewis and Nico are fully capable of bringing home the WCC, however, the rest of their combination probably won't be, based on Merc's performance last year. They have great strategy and excellent team work, great drivers - they just need a performer.

So:

Red Bull
McLaren
Lotus
Ferrari (could be higher if they free up Massa sooner)
Mercedes
Williams

Sauber
FI
STRF

Edited by bourbon, 30 December 2012 - 03:20.

#45 goldenboy

goldenboy

• 8,183 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 03:56

Red Bull then merc, but merc equal or better if rosberg does well against ham. So far I have seen nothing proving Rosberg is better than webber. Ham is faster on pace than vet but vet is better at doing his thing and less erratic.

However, if massa has pace like he did at the end of 2012 or better, ferrari will have the best lineup.

Not a great time to be a Mclaren fan I fear.

#46 Kingshark

Kingshark

• 2,944 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 04:00

Macca, Lotus, RBR will challenge for 1st full on. RBR will likely lead. Lotus could challenge if Grosjean gets his act together. Button should feel the car as it is presumably developed toward him, but Perez will still pull a stunner, so that is going to be a points rich duo - they will be the main challenger to Red Bull, assuming their relability rate and team strategy/pits stops betters 2012.

If Ferrari allow Massa soon enough, they will be in the running for WCC podium.

I don't think Williams is quite up for the challenge yet, but they would be the new dark horse together with Merc. Bottas should assist and if Maldonado continues to control his little red mist problem, they should challenge. Lewis and Nico are fully capable of bringing home the WCC, however, the rest of their combination probably won't be, based on Merc's performance last year. They have great strategy and excellent team work, great drivers - they just need a performer.

So:

Red Bull
McLaren
Lotus
Ferrari (could be higher if they free up Massa sooner)
Mercedes
Williams

Sauber
FI
STRF

I highy appreciate your imput, but... you did read the thread OP thoroughly, right?

#47 DrivenF1

DrivenF1

• 1,050 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 05:27

Rating each driver out of 10:

Red Bull (10 and 7)
Ferrari (10 and 6)
Mclaren (8 and 6)
Lotus (9 and 6)
Mercedes (10 and 8)
Sauber (7 and ?)
Williams (6 and ?)
Toro Rosso (6 and 5)
Marussia (6 and ?)

By this logic Mercedes (18) have the best line up, followed by Red Bull (17), Ferrari (16), Lotus (15), McLaren (14) and Toro Rosso (11). Every other team has an uncertain player that I'd like not to rate. Ferrari could have the equally best line up if Massa was more consistent/adaptable, on top form he's a 8/9 but on the last few seasons he's been very disappointing. The same is actually true of Webber who too often lets himself down with anonymous weekends.

Edited by Cult, 30 December 2012 - 05:32.

#48 beqa16v

beqa16v

• 593 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 07:45

Actually he did.
I one of the interviews he said that the car and updates are designed for fernando and he just has to adapt

Anyway, it is clear that Ferrari builds cars around Alonso. This is not something to be questioned

Edited by beqa16v, 30 December 2012 - 07:47.

#49 Lord_Shaitan

Lord_Shaitan

• 1,174 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 09:39

Interesting point of view. ;)

Taking only 2012 season into account you're right that Lotus driver line-up for 2013 just cannot be considered as a "best one". They would be somewhere between Ferrari and McLaren in that case.
But I wrote literally that "I believe" because I'm really hoping Romain will improve in terms of consistency and will reduce greatly amount of mistakes. He is tremendously fast driver, at his best as fast as Raikkonen IMO, who is one of the four best and fastest drivers on the grid.
Moreover, Lotus drivers has a lot more room to improve than drivers from other top team. Don't forget it's only a 2nd year for Raikkonen after brake and 2nd full season in general for Romain. Also Enstone team lacked drivers stability over last few years, so I think continuation with the same drivers will pay off.
That's why I think they've got massive amount of potential and might be considered as a best driver line-up for 2013.

#50 undersquare

undersquare

• 18,929 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 10:07

It's close isn't it? Good year coming up I think.

I reckon Ferrari are better than the poll is suggesting, but where would they be with Hulk in the other car? Thank goodness for Monty :lol:

McLaren are toast by the look of this. Only 3 top drivers and they don't have any of them. Perez - a normal, decent young driver - is proof positive that they totally lost track of what they had in Hamilton. Shoulda gone for Hulk too.

Kimi will be even better, I'm expecting; I have my doubts about Grosjean though.

Sebi should be even better, Webbo is getting on a bit now.

Lewis with his new engineers will be tremendous, and I think Nico will raise his game in response. I just gave them my vote.