* * * * * 1 votes

Fantasy track competition

• Please log in to reply
78 replies to this topic

#51 Gyan

Gyan

• 1,234 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 20:35

The Amsterdamse Bos Circuit for the new Dutch GP.

Posted Image

Edited by Gyan, 28 February 2013 - 20:38.

Advertisement

#52 DampMongoose

DampMongoose

• 2,258 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 21:38

You don't think that having big and full grandstands is a positive image for F1?

He obviously works for Bernie already?

#53 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,733 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 21:55

Cool Beans :up: :D

#54 DampMongoose

DampMongoose

• 2,258 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 22:12

Cool Beans that is a winner :rotfl:

Although, I'm pretty sure the lack of run-off will need looking at, otherwise it may be a bit difficult for Seb to run wide at every corner on his way to pole?

If it is successful, I'm hoping for a race further north at Niagra Falls, although that falling water nonsense will need damming properly first...

#55 Sin

Sin

• 2,042 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 22:28

Posted Image

the new german GP for 2015

#56 Mendel

Mendel

• 343 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 22:47

The Ohitsjustoneraceayearonanovaltrackohcomeonnaryring.

Posted Image

#57 noikeee

noikeee

• 23,218 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 16:51

Posted Image

This is the Autodromo di Capitignano, located near the Italian town/village of Capitignano which is a completely random place I came upon in Google Maps searching for a place that would have trees and lakes:

https://maps.google....1...mp;t=h&z=14

Goes counterclockwise.

T1 is a pretty normal hairpin at the end of the pitstraight, not super sharp but possibly the slowest corner on the track. Possible overtaking spot but the pitstraight isn't very long.

T2 is easy flat, long radius, not really a corner.

T3-T6 is where the fun begins, this is a complex of quick corners with short apexes reminiscent of Austin's esses. T3 should be flat but unsettle the entry to T4, probably a 6th gear corner. T5 is even more open than T3 but T6 is 5th gear or so with an early apex, in fact it has 2 apexes but the second isn't really a corner.

T7 is a long radius mid-speed corner, 4th/5th gear possibly.

T8/T9 is something similar to Rivazza in Imola, T8 quite slow probably 2nd gear (and a very difficult but possible overtaking place), T9 quicker in 3rd or 4th with an early apex.

T10/T11 is a quick right-left S similar to Les Fagnes in Spa, but far more open in 6th gear or so, reminiscent of the quick chicane in Melbourne leading into the backstraight.

T12/T13/T14 are easy flat kinks/corners making for a very long flat out section, sort of like the run to the 1st corner in Interlagos. However the entry to the next corner provided by T14 is a lot more like the run to Tosa in old Imola.

T15 is the circuit's main overtaking spot, not exactly a super tight hairpin but still a very heavy braking zone given the speeds the cars will be approaching it. Much like old Tosa indeed.

T16-T18 is another fun complex of esses but unlike T3-T6 the radius of every corner is very long, and it is done in increasing speed out of the hairpin, rather than approached at very high speed like the T3-T6 complex. T16 is almost flat with a late apex, T17 possibly 4th gear, T18 double-apex with the first apex slightly tigher than the 2nd and done in 6th gear or so.

T19/T20 are similar to T8/T9 but with slightly longer radius corners, possibly both done in 3rd gear.

T21 is a very quick kink, probably 6th gear, similar to Campsa in Barcelona.

T22 is a very very long radius corner, similar to Monza's Parabolica as in connecting 2 long straights together but unlike Parabolica, which has a very early apex, this has a long, slightly late apex. 3rd or 4th gear probably.

Overall it's a quick circuit trading modern short, sharp apex sequences as seen on Tilkes tracks, for more sweeping long radius corners which have fallen out of favour in recent track designs. There's very little slow corners here, the only major concern is that aerodynamics would be king, there is one very long flat out section that is asking for top speed, but probably the sheer amount of quick corners would make car downforce more important than anything - you'd still need massive balls to attack some of those corners properly though.

Elevation changes... ehh.. maybe another day I haven't thought about them yet. Presumably this would have pretty big ups and downs as it's next to a forest yet it's next to a lake too.

#58 DampMongoose

DampMongoose

• 2,258 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 16:55

Another real road circuit close by for me... The Rutland GP - 14.5 miles around Rutland Water

Has a Pescara/Reims/Dundrod feel to it... would be insanely quick! Long flat out sections with some incredible sweeping bends and elevation changes in a very scenic location!

Posted Image

Edited by DampMongoose, 01 March 2013 - 16:56.

#59 ANF

ANF

• 29,327 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 22:07

Posted Image

Here's a topographic map of a track that started out as a tribute to the Österreichring and the old Zandvoort track but eventually turned into... this.

Advertisement

#60 BunnyK

BunnyK

• 444 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 22:58

You don't think that having big and full grandstands is a positive image for F1?

I do, but don't like when tracks are made thinking first in the number of tickets they can sell, if it is exciting for the driver it is fun to watch, even if you miss half of the track action. A track should have personality, but that is my opinion.

If anybody wants to design a track but doesn't get well with 3D modelling tools try this one: Visit My Website

#61 Jackmancer

Jackmancer

• 3,226 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 15:55

Awesome ANF :)

To all: five days before voting starts!

#62 Rubens Hakkamacher

Rubens Hakkamacher

• 1,567 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 16:09

This is sort of off topic, but not really:

I wish someone would make an app for Google Maps that would let you designate a route, via way points, and then gathered all of the Google Maps street-view pictures and rastered them in a way that let you "drive" the route (as opposed to the frame-by-frame manner of Google Maps).

#63 Jackmancer

Jackmancer

• 3,226 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 16:21

This is sort of off topic, but not really:

I wish someone would make an app for Google Maps that would let you designate a route, via way points, and then gathered all of the Google Maps street-view pictures and rastered them in a way that let you "drive" the route (as opposed to the frame-by-frame manner of Google Maps).

I work in advertising and I have seen something similar before (by a presentation from the agency behind this, Unit9) ;
http://www.autoblog....e-digitally-on/

#64 Les

Les

• 2,116 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 18:07

I'd like to design another track. This is the Scottish Grand Prix at the Rest and Be Thankful. Hopefully the notorious landslides won't lead to a cancelled race! The circuit runs anticlockwise.

Track Outline
Posted Image

View from the South
Posted Image

View from the North
Posted Image

And the location
Posted Image

With pitlane (red), pit building and some grandstands (yellow) added.

Posted Image

Edited by Les, 04 March 2013 - 14:22.

#65 Cool Beans

Cool Beans

• 1,553 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 23:34

Les, that looks really beautiful. Now we just need to install a dictator in Scotland to get Bernie interested.

#66 Les

Les

• 2,116 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 00:44

Les, that looks really beautiful. Now we just need to install a dictator in Scotland to get Bernie interested.

Sounds like a plan!

#67 DampMongoose

DampMongoose

• 2,258 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 11:42

Nice track Les, is any of that track part of the hill climb route? I remember reading in Jackie Stewarts horrendous, name dropping, who's who autobiography that he watched hill climbs there as a boy...

#68 Les

Les

• 2,116 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 12:50

Nice track Les, is any of that track part of the hill climb route? I remember reading in Jackie Stewarts horrendous, name dropping, who's who autobiography that he watched hill climbs there as a boy...

It is indeed, it incorporates the Hillclimb and other roads in the area to come up with the full track.

#69 Jackmancer

Jackmancer

• 3,226 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 13:01

Les, could you add a pitlane and show the direction it goes? Maybe?

#70 Les

Les

• 2,116 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 14:17

Les, could you add a pitlane and show the direction it goes? Maybe?

Sure I've edited my post to include a new version. it runs anticlockwise.

#71 Rubens Hakkamacher

Rubens Hakkamacher

• 1,567 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 15:07

I work in advertising and I have seen something similar before (by a presentation from the agency behind this, Unit9) ;
http://www.autoblog....e-digitally-on/

Wasn't aware of that, thanks, looks like fun - I'll be headed to Facebook and that app in a moment!

Although, what I meant was an app that used the street-view/FPS perspective -

Edited by Rubens Hakkamacher, 06 March 2013 - 15:08.

#72 RA2

RA2

• 3,019 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 17:30

Posted Image

#73 noikeee

noikeee

• 23,218 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 13:36

I think the OP forgot about this, let's get on with the voting?

#74 One

One

• 6,527 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 14:57

Voting can wait! I wil lcome with my HongKOng GP!

HongKong has this island with hill very close to the City Center. Easily accessible by car. See it on perspective. Above is the HK city.

Posted Image

The plan of the track in dispute.

Posted Image

Pit and grandstand complex.

Posted Image

Lots of space for Paddock and commercial complex between the grand stands.

Got own stadium section looking through the bay towards the city as well.

Posted Image

In lager scale.

Posted Image

Edited by One, 05 April 2013 - 17:05.

#75 readonly

readonly

• 299 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 14:42

OK, I will start voting.

Edit: ...in the voting thread.;)

[deleted]

Edited by readonly, 10 April 2013 - 13:23.

#76 Jackmancer

Jackmancer

• 3,226 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 09:04

OK, I will start voting.

Voting topic is here:
http://forums.autosp...howtopic=184058

#77 Zoetrope

Zoetrope

• 1,408 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 15:03

Due to upcoming Singapore Grand Prix, I just wanted to share a vision of my home town race track. I am pretty sure there was another, newer topic about designing your own circuits, but just couldn't find it. Would be cool if someone dared to draw his own street circuit   ;)

23r08pe.jpg

#78 noikeee

noikeee

• 23,218 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 17:07

What about making this a yearly competition and doing the 2nd edition this time around?

#79 Cesc

Cesc

• 1,204 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 18:47

Indy500F1.jpg

758.gif

Funny one...