* * * - - 8 votes

Hamilton: "A duel with Button doesn't excite me"

• Please log in to reply
146 replies to this topic

#1 kosmos

kosmos

• 11,867 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 11:18

'The rivalry between me and Fernando excites me more [than with Button],' said Hamilton. 'He’s the guy I want to beat. You also want to beat Seb, as they are the ones with most titles. But Alonso’s the fastest driver I can see. He’s also one of the most experienced. Anyone would struggle to beat him.

'Trying to finish ahead of Alonso, in a Ferrari that is actually really competitive, is a really nice challenge. And I do think the Ferrari is going to be quick this year.'

http://www.dailymail...le-chances.html

Advertisement

#2 Wiggy

Wiggy

• 450 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 11:22

He's right. Its easy to forget Button is a world champion, i put him in the Hill category of Luck>Skill

#3 Lord Snooty

Lord Snooty

• 938 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 11:24

He's right. Its easy to forget Button is a world champion, i put him in the Hill category of Luck>Skill

Depends which Hill you're talking about..

#4 spacekid

spacekid

• 3,143 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 11:24

Do we really need a fresh thread for every driver utterance.

I get tired of these contrived attempts to whip up controversy. I think nearly every F1 pundit and fan would agree that Fernando is faster than Button. I'm sure Button is aware of it too, as are the rest of the drivers.

Instead of walking on egg shells I don't see anything wrong with Lewis stating what appears to be self-evident - Fernando is one of, if not the, best out there. And Lewis wants to prove himself better - good for him, I wouldn't expect anything less.

#5 rasul

rasul

• 1,952 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 11:32

Well. I'm a fan of Lewis and no fan of Button, but this is honestly facepalm-worthy. Such blatant disrespect towards another driver is just :down:. Even Alonso,as much as I dislike him, doesn't say stuff like that about Massa. Even if he thinks that, he shouldn't say stuff like that aloud. It's easy to see why so many dislike Lewis.

#6 jrg19

jrg19

• 6,118 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 11:37

Doesn't Lewis just mean a duel with Fernando excites him more?

I don't know a driver on the grid who would say otherwise.

Hasn't the mail just added the [than with Button] to create a story?

Edited by jrg19, 10 March 2013 - 11:40.

#7 Claudius

Claudius

• 5,210 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 11:43

All he's saying is he's more excited to battle Alonso than his current and previous teammate.
What's wrong with that statement? How is that disrespectful?

People are so touchy sometimes...

#8 MrPodium

MrPodium

• 693 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 11:45

And then the article turns into a Button lovefest :

‘I feel I’d like to end my career at McLaren,’ said Button, who was broadly advised three years ago that he risked driving his career into a cul-de-sac when he joined the team fashioned around Hamilton.
Nothing could have proved further from the truth. Button’s charm, self-deprecating humour and, most importantly, a ruthless racing brain, have brought him total admiration within the team’s workforce at their HQ in Woking, Surrey.

To witness his victory in atrocious conditions in the final race of last season in Brazil — his 15th victory — was to see the baton being passed from Hamilton to Button inside the team.

Sensationalist headline for Hamilton, unadulterated praise for Button - it's not the first time we've seen this, it won't be the last, either.

#9 garoidb

garoidb

• 8,345 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 11:46

He was probably just trying to avoid creating hype about a grudge match with McLaren/Button. Looking at the article, which does not give the exact question asked, it seems that the McLaren team may have been just as much the focus of the question as Button. No matter what answer he gives, the article will try to put a controversial spin on it.

#10 BRG

BRG

• 25,883 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 11:47

Depends which Hill you're talking about..

I expect he means Phil Hill.

#11 SCUDmissile

SCUDmissile

• 8,727 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 11:50

Well, I would like to think you would try to beat the double and triple WDCs who are constantly fighting for the title recently than go for a meaningless fight against your old team.

#12 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,328 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 11:55

Hamilton should obviously know not to write off Button after 2010-12.

But this is about the words he uses to motivate himself. He needs White Whales to get him up in the morning. Seb's got the career he thinks he should've had after 2007-8, and Alonso painted a big harpoon-sized target on himself after his successful "I'm the best driver in the world, it's the car that lets me down, honest" routine last year. Not that Hamilton needed any more justification to enmitize him, natch.

Edited by Risil, 10 March 2013 - 11:55.

#13 rasul

rasul

• 1,952 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 11:56

Ask a Manchester United player if he'd rather play Liverpool or Grimsby Town....

This is different. Button is a WDC, like it or not. He's not Grimsby Town to Lewis's ManU. In fact, Button has the same number of WDCs won as Lewis does. From Alonso and Vettel such words would have been more acceptable(though still very disrespectful). Even if Lewis is the better driver than Button(and I believe he is) and even if his words were twisted, he should be more careful with his words. He sounds(or the article made him sound) very arrogant.

#14 MrPodium

MrPodium

• 693 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 12:02

This is different. Button is a WDC, like it or not. He's not Grimsby Town to Lewis's ManU. In fact, Button has the same number of WDCs won as Lewis does. From Alonso and Vettel such words would have been more acceptable(though still very disrespectful). Even if Lewis is the better driver than Button(and I believe he is) and even if his words were twisted, he should be more careful with his words. He sounds(or the article made him sound) very arrogant.

So he's being disrespectful for telling the truth! Would you prefer Hamilton to lie? Either way, he can't win. Like I said earlier, it's just another sensationalist headline for Hamilton, and unadulterated praise for Button.

Edited by MrPodium, 10 March 2013 - 12:03.

#15 Coral

Coral

• 6,682 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 12:02

I don't see what is wrong with what Lewis said...he is just confirming that he and Alonso are a mutual appreciation society nowadays. :D And anyway I think everyone knows by now that there is no love lost between Lewis and Jenson. Despite what Lewis says, I reckon that he will derive special pleasure when (if) he beats Jenson next season... :)

As for the article...it is typical Daily Fail...the headline is about Lewis, but it is just another Jenson love-fest. As for the comments underneath, well... words fail me! ):

#16 apoka

apoka

• 5,878 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 12:09

I found this part interesting, which indicates that he doesn't see himself as great as MS/Vettel yet (but certainly wants to be): "I expect myself to excel. Ultimately, I want to achieve greatness. I want to prove my abilities year after year. Michael is seen as an all-time great, Seb is, too. I want to be seen as great as well."

Apart from that, it looks like a restart of the 2007-induced Alonso-Hamilton-praise-pattern we saw in the previous years.

#17 Coops3

Coops3

• 1,841 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 12:11

The quote in the thread title is not verbatim and is a little bit misleading as a result, especially when he goes on to say that his rivalry with Fernando "excites me more", implying there is some excitement with Jenson.

#18 rasul

rasul

• 1,952 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 12:16

So he's being disrespectful for telling the truth! Would you prefer Hamilton to lie? Either way, he can't win. Like I said earlier, it's just another sensationalist headline for Hamilton, and unadulterated praise for Button.

Lying isn't necessary. He could have said some meaningless stuff all drivers usually say. Less controversy this way.
And I fear for Lewis if Button ends up next to him on the starting grid. :p

The quote in the thread title is not verbatim and is a little bit misleading as a result, especially when he goes on to say that his rivalry with Fernando "excites me more", implying there is some excitement with Jenson.

He actually said that it doesn't excite him:

'That doesn’t really excite me,' said Hamilton.

#19 Coops3

Coops3

• 1,841 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 12:20

Lying isn't necessary. He could have said some meaningless stuff all drivers usually say. Less controversy this way.
And I fear for Lewis if Button ends up next to him on the starting grid. :p

He actually said that it doesn't excite him:

Well according to the Daily Mail (ahem), he said it doesn't "really" excite him. That extra word qualifies the statement and changes the meaning slightly.

Advertisement

#20 P123

P123

• 23,842 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 12:22

I don’t have anything negative to say about McLaren — I was lucky to be given the opportunity by the team to get into Formula One.
‘Had I stayed I was guaranteed to be competitive.

'Yet I’m not looking to get one over McLaren. I know that I have gone to a team who have been unable to compete with the car I had last year — at some races, there was a deficit in qualifying of 1.9sec from Mercedes to McLaren — but we all have a hunger to change. I think Mercedes will impress this year.’

The Daily Mail's angle is to create a rivalry between Button and Hamilton, which he has batted aside. There are other battles to be won too. Nothing more, nothing less. I suspect JB v LH will be the main theme that the Brit tabloid press will be chasing this year with regards their F1 coverage.

#21 itsademo

itsademo

• 571 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 12:29

We COULD claim your stance is being very disrespectful to Alonso, after all he is a two time WDC.
The one big differnce is we know what you said!
You do not know what Lewis said!!
Only what the daily fail a right wing paper that clearly has an agenda (that you ignore) prints and as we know most times it prints the words used but changes the meaning to fit their right wing audience eg BNP UKIP and Tories.

#22 rasul

rasul

• 1,952 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 12:34

We COULD claim your stance is being very disrespectful to Alonso, after all he is a two time WDC.

:rolleyes: What does it have to do with anything? I'm not Alonso's fellow driver and I'm not telling my opinion on him to a paper. As a fan, I have every right to like some drivers and dislike others.

Well according to the Daily Mail (ahem), he said it doesn't "really" excite him. That extra word qualifies the statement and changes the meaning slightly.

It doesn't change it much, but whatever. Either way, I really hope Lewis didn't mean to say it the way the article made it sound and that his words were twisted. I thought Lewis has been maturing and I hope I wasn't wrong.

#23 itsademo

itsademo

• 571 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 12:42

:rolleyes: What does it have to do with anything? I'm not Alonso's fellow driver and I'm not telling my opinion on him to a paper. As a fan, I have every right to like some drivers and dislike others.

everything because once again you ignore the fact YOU DONT KNOW Lewis said those exact words or even anything close to that.
All YOU DO KNOW is a rag said Lewis said nothing more nothing less.
Therefore it would be far fairer to point out IF lewis said these words rather than taking such a low class rag as gospel especially when they are so biased.

I was taught a very good saying long ago that perhaps you should consider in situations like this.
Never believe what you hear or read, and only half what you see. ;)

#24 Crossmax

Crossmax

• 1,334 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 12:50

Okay, now it's Alonso's turn to praise Hamilton. The circle is working!

:up: :lol:

#25 rasul

rasul

• 1,952 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 12:51

everything because once again you ignore the fact YOU DONT KNOW Lewis said those exact words or even anything close to that.
All YOU DO KNOW is a rag said Lewis said nothing more nothing less.
Therefore it would be far fairer to point out IF lewis said these words rather than taking such a low class rag as gospel especially when they are so biased.

I was taught a very good saying long ago that perhaps you should consider in situations like this.
Never believe what you hear or read, and only half what you see.;)

Stop shouting, please. And stop overreacting. I'm no hater of Lewis. In fact, he's the driver I admire the most out of the current drivers. But it doesn't mean I'll blindly support everything he does or says--and wouldn't claim that he didn't say something when we do not know  ;) he didn't.

#26 itsademo

itsademo

• 571 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 12:59

Stop shouting, please. And stop overreacting. I'm no hater of Lewis. In fact, he's the driver I admire the most out of the current drivers. But it doesn't mean I'll blindly support everything he does or says--and wouldn't claim that he didn't say something when we do not know ;) he didn't.

presumption is innocent until proven guilty.
preconcived is guilty untill proven innocent.
thats the difference and for someone who claims to be a supporter you certainly seam determined to believe the worst outcome possible.
I dont claim he did not say it, only we dont know if he did very very differnt.

FYI its not shouting when you emphasise words its shouting when you caps lock whole sentences

#27 rasul

rasul

• 1,952 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 13:11

presumption is innocent until proven guilty.
preconcived is guilty untill proven innocent.
thats the difference and for someone who claims to be a supporter you certainly seam determined to believe the worst outcome possible.
I dont claim he did not say it, only we dont know if he did very very differnt.

You should read more carefully then, because I did say that I hope his words were twisted, but even if they were twisted, he should have been more careful with his words so that they couldn't be twisted. I hope I'm making it perfectly clear now?

FYI its not shouting when you emphasise words its shouting when you caps lock whole sentences

I usually use Italics to emphasise words, but maybe it's just me.
FYI, being a supporter doesn't equal being a blind fanboy. :kiss:

#28 rhukkas

rhukkas

• 2,764 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 13:13

While that Daily Mail piece is particular poor, f1 in general is consistantly written about in a pretty low standard in the mainstream press. For example

var pid = parseInt(6158694); if ( pid > ipb.topic.topPid ){ ipb.topic.topPid = pid; } // Show multiquote for JS browsers if ( $('multiq_6158694') ) { $('multiq_6158694').show(); } if( $('toggle_post_6158694') ) { $('toggle_post_6158694').show(); } // Add perm data ipb.topic.deletePerms[6158694] = { 'canDelete' : 0, 'canSoftDelete' : 0 };

#29 Juggles

Juggles

• 902 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 13:17

And people are surprised why many people don't like Hamilton?

It isn't surprising at all when you see the number of idiots who gorge on the swill of rags like the Daily Mail without analysing the actual words of the person they are so desperate to crucify. It is disheartening though.

Yet surely an immediate mission will begin with his duel against Button and his old team McLaren, who groomed him for stardom from childhood? "That doesn’t really excite me," said Hamilton.

You have no idea what question Hamilton was answering with his quote. Funnily enough the Mail didn't deign us with that information. He could have been asked, "what do you think of the idea of Kimi Raikkonen giving a ten minute speech on ice cream?"

"The rivalry between me and Fernando excites me more [than with Button]," said Hamilton.

(a) Note the brackets. At no point in this interview has he used either the word Jenson or the word Button. (b) If the question was, "does the rivalry between Button and yourself excite you?" then he is stuffed either way. If he says "yes," the Mail has ammunition to create a completely false, titanic battle between the two big Brits in F1. If he says "no," he is lambasted for disrespecting Button. What he actually said is very diplomatic; it's clear he isn't particularly excited by the battle against Button so he can't say "yes," but he doesn't say "no" either. He just says there are other drivers he is more excited to battle with. Given the dynamics of the Hamilton-Alonso relationship compared to the Hamilton-Button relationship is that really a surprise?

I really hope sensible F1 fans don't let this type of drivel affect their opinion of Hamilton. I say "sensible" because the post I originally quoted suggests it's already too late for the sheep.

#30 olliek88

olliek88

• 4,050 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 13:38

Newspapers, for your own sake stop reading them. I stopped reading them about 8 years ago, never have i felt less coerced into forming opinions. As Race Addicted said, its a storm in a (stirred and twisted) teacup.

#31 MinT

MinT

• 2,280 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 13:56

I can understand why there might be animoscity from hami towards Button.

After all, there he was nicely settled in his own team and along comes Button - who in a very short space of time, gets Hamis team working for him and argueably does just as good a job for the team on far less money than Hamilton - as well as being far more sponsor friendly, creates less aggro etc etc. 3 years later Hami has to flee Buttons team in order to feel loved again.

If I was Hamilton I would be desparate to forget Button as well !!

#32 CookinFlatSix

CookinFlatSix

• 364 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 14:19

Its so funny that so many are already up in arms against Hamilton for an article by the Daily Heil thats so obviously designed to ignite the battle of the Brits

Anyone can see how the words have been twisted but I doubt many have even actually read it properly

And so what even if Lewis did actually say 'Button is no challenge, it would be a con on the paying public to create a fight with an ageing has been. I am after the one known globally as the best, bring him on, cheer for me'

Wake up folks, this is a dangerous gladiatorial sport, LH/XIX no what sells, they know what the public want. The simpering 'outraged' readers of the Heil can protest all they want, but when the crunch comes they also dont wanna see Tyson vs Bruno or Haye vs has been with no rep

Edited by CookinFlatSix, 10 March 2013 - 15:23.

#33 Skinnyguy

Skinnyguy

• 4,391 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 14:25

Okay, now it's Alonso's turn to praise Hamilton. The circle is working!

This circle is completed with Vettel winning the championship, triggering the praise of these two between them during next season, so let´s hope it´s not working because it´s getting boring :yawnface:

To be fair the article is not a big deal, the only thing surprising me is that I would expect Lewis to consider Jenson more of a threat (a part of the best drivers group or very close to it) after a 3 year stint together that didin´t exactly ended in a smashing dominant fashion.

#34 Dalton007

Dalton007

• 6,769 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 14:30

Well, firstly I doubt that Lewis actually said that. Daily Fail loves to misquote to create sensationalism.
Secondly, Alonso is probably the best F1 driver on the grid - to beat him would be exciting.
And thirdly, I can't wait to see Lewis and Jenson fighting for positions. Gloves will be off. :)

It's going to be fun.

#35 olliek88

olliek88

• 4,050 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 14:33

Well, firstly I doubt that Lewis actually said that. Daily Fail loves to misquote to create sensationalism.
Secondly, Alonso is probably the best F1 driver on the grid - to beat him would be exciting.
And thirdly, I can't wait to see Lewis and Jenson fighting for positions. Gloves will be off. :)

It's going to be fun.

:up:

It'll be fun, i suspect neither will give an inch.

#36 rasul

rasul

• 1,952 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 14:34

the phrase "i am responsible for what i say,you are responsible for what you understand" couldn't be more fitting....why are people so gullible? i mean how many times would the daily mail misconstrue a drivers comments before some of you realize that it's their way of journalism? frankly i can't get mad at them..am more mad at the fans like you who believe all this **** because if you guys weren't so gullible,then these tabloids might actually try some journalism.

Gullible? I'm very far from gullible, mate. Quite the opposite. It seems he actually did say that, after all.
a different article

A very favorable one, by the way:

Hamilton has bounced cheerfully into the British Racing Drivers' Club on a dreary March afternoon when his smile is the only warm thing in sight, and gives chirpy greetings to his audience of reporters before immediately ribbing some of them over their uncharacteristic sartorial elegance.
"The thing with Jenson doesn't really excite me," he claims. "The rivalry between me and Fernando excites me more. I always say that, because he's the benchmark. I think he's one of the most experienced guys now and the fastest driver that I can see.Put anyone next to him and they'll struggle. "

I think it wasn't an attempt to downplay Button. It sounds like a rather badly concealed attempt to praise himself, which is even worse. Lewis doesn't need it. He's a great driver--no one doubts it-- so that's absolutely unnecessary.

You overreacting. Your first post in this thread show that well. He just say that Alonso is his benchmark. Nothing wrong with that.

I'm not. There's nothing wrong with the Alonso stuff(though I don't agree with him and consider Lewis the better driver than Alonso). I don't like Alonso for his arrogance and mind games; but I don't like double standards even more, so I'm not going to judge Lewis any differently.

#37 kosmos

kosmos

• 11,867 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 14:39

It makes sense, Button is Boring

They have been teammates for sometime, so I think he has his reasons to not be excited by Button as a rival (or in the same level of excitement as Alonso and Vettel like some here with delicate sensibility will say). Really interesting to see so many different reactions to the article.

Edited by kosmos, 10 March 2013 - 14:43.

#38 Grundle

Grundle

• 1,309 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 14:39

This is actually a very clever statement from Lewis.
After all, it's clear Jenson gets his kicks from fighting with Lewis. Now,
When jenson reads Lewis' isn't excited by their battles, it may get in his head a bit,
Jenson may try to race differently,bit more balsy, but not his fastest style.
Also, Lewis is doing well not to say anything that gets McLaren juices flowing.

#39 Coral

Coral

• 6,682 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 14:40

It's going to be fun.

Agreed, Lewis probably said nothing of the sort. The DF is just trying to hype up the rivalry between the two British drivers...not to mention whip up anti-Lewis sentiment.

I'm actually looking forward to the Lewis vs. Jenson rivalry this year...I think relations between them (and their fans) will improve now that they are at different teams. I hope so, because the whole Lewis-Jenson thing at McLaren became rather unpleasant.

Edited by Coral, 10 March 2013 - 14:41.

Advertisement

#40 AMG FAN

AMG FAN

• 890 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 14:44

I can understand why there might be animoscity from hami towards Button.

After all, there he was nicely settled in his own team and along comes Button - who in a very short space of time, gets Hamis team working for him and argueably does just as good a job for the team on far less money than Hamilton - as well as being far more sponsor friendly, creates less aggro etc etc. 3 years later Hami has to flee Buttons team in order to feel loved again.

If I was Hamilton I would be desparate to forget Button as well !!

the only difference is that there is no sign of animosity....seriously are people unable to read something and understand it? geez.

#41 AMG FAN

AMG FAN

• 890 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 14:46

Not that I'm criticizing Lewis for his comments here, but I dont think I've EVER seen somebody say Lewis was arrogant and moody because he didn't say something. Just sounds like you're making something up in order to throw down that persecution card. Lewis has done plenty of things for people to have justifiable reasons to dislike him, but this probably isn't one of them.

there was alot of the "he is moody" comments last year though especially twds the end of the season.

#42 AMG FAN

AMG FAN

• 890 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 14:49

Gullible? I'm very far from gullible, mate. Quite the opposite. It seems he actually did say that, after all.
a different article

A very favorable one, by the way:

I think it wasn't an attempt to downplay Button. It sounds like a rather badly concealed attempt to praise himself, which is even worse. Lewis doesn't need it. He's a great driver--no one doubts it-- so that's absolutely unnecessary.

I'm not. There's nothing wrong with the Alonso stuff(though I don't agree with him and consider Lewis the better driver than Alonso). I don't like Alonso for his arrogance and mind games; but I don't like double standards even more, so I'm not going to judge Lewis any differently.

all the guy says is that he finds the battle more interesting with Alonso and obviously with Vettel...sorry that this hurts people's feelings but it's understandable with Alonso and Vettel is the man to beat so obviously the target is Vettel,Vettel is the WDC and to be the best you have to beat the best....he wants to be seen as the best so he has to get the results and he has set his target for the result....only F1 fans would have a problem with someone setting a high target for themselves.

#43 Dalton007

Dalton007

• 6,769 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 15:06

Agreed, Lewis probably said nothing of the sort. The DF is just trying to hype up the rivalry between the two British drivers...not to mention whip up anti-Lewis sentiment.

I'm actually looking forward to the Lewis vs. Jenson rivalry this year...I think relations between them (and their fans) will improve now that they are at different teams. I hope so, because the whole Lewis-Jenson thing at McLaren became rather unpleasant.

I'm pumped. :up:
I hope you had a good winter break. :wave:

#44 Juan Kerr

Juan Kerr

• 3,151 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 15:30

I expect he means Phil Hill.

You'll never beat William Hill

#45 halifaxf1fan

halifaxf1fan

• 4,846 posts

Comments like this are not very smart, all they do is give the target (Button) added motivation and determination. Not something you want to give to a direct competitor.

Also to be starting the the trash talk so early makes me wonder about Hamilton's mental focus for 2013. Is he focused like 2012 or is this 2011 to be repeated?

ps. Hamilton may want to be seen as being in a competition to be 'best of the best' but really he needs to focus on beating his teammate first.

Edited by halifaxf1fan, 12 March 2013 - 22:45.

#46 rasul

rasul

• 1,952 posts

You dont have to be humble to be great.

Not even sure thats a matter of opinion.

You're right. But not being humble is not the same as praising himself. If you are good, people will see that without you pointing it out. Lewis doesn't need self-praising. Everyone knows that he's a great driver. And you actually should achieve something great before saying anything.

Just a quick question mate

Is MS truly great?

edited for clarity

My opinion on MS is my personal opinion only. But MS won 7 WDCs -- something no other F1 driver did. His achievements speak for themselves. He's the only driver who can actually say, "Yes, I'm the best" without sounding arrogant.

#47 CookinFlatSix

CookinFlatSix

• 364 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 15:33

You're right. But not being humble is not the same as praising himself. If you are good, people will see that without you pointing it out. Lewis doesn't need self-praising. Everyone knows that he's a great driver. And you actually should achieve something great before saying anything.

My opinion on MS is my personal opinion only. But MS won 7 WDCs -- something no other F1 driver did. His achievements speak for themselves. He's the only driver who can actually say, "Yes, I'm the best" without sounding arrogant.

Ok fair enough, MS is a true great who can be allowed to be arrogant

What about ramming another driver off the track and getting disqualified? This doesnt affect his greatness, but LH's arrogance does?

:smoking:

#48 oligc94

oligc94

• 522 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 15:34

Comments like this are not very smart, all they do is give the target (Button) added motivation and determination. Not something you want to give to a direct competitor.

Alos to be starting the the trash talk so early makes me wonder about Hamilton's mental focus for 2013. Is he focused like 2012 or is this 2011 to be repeated?

ps. Hamilton may want to be seen as being in a competition to be 'best of the best' but really he needs to focus on beating his teammate first.

Did you even read the article? Hamilton was evidently asked and question and answered it honestly: that he is focused upon beating Alonso and Vettel rather than beating Button.

#49 Lord Snooty

Lord Snooty

• 938 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 15:35

Other places seem to report the same interview differently ...

http://www.planet-f1...the-guy-to-beat

#50 CookinFlatSix

CookinFlatSix

• 364 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 15:36

This is the first comment I saw in the Daily Heil article

I do wish that arrogant 'little man' would go back to Kart Racing, he is so pompous and arrogant. Crasher Hamilton will cost Mercedes lots of money when he crashes every other race, he is a rubbish driver, and so 'up himself'. Button is a gentleman and a decent man, and a much safer and better driver,not arrogant like Hamilton. - Mable Thorpe, Skegness, United Kingdom,

:rotfl: :rotfl: I wonder what username she is using on this thread