Photo

Lionel Ayers - another loss

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,228 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 06:14

Lionel Ayers became synonymous with big Sports Car racing in the seventies, but his history in motor sport dates back to 1952...

He was a serious competitor starting with a TC and moving along through the Pearse Cooper MG (mentioned recently on this forum) to a Lotus 20, Rennmax FJr (called an MRC - Motor Racing Components - by Lionel, presumably for tax reasons), a Britton-built Lotus 23 replica and a Matich SR3 replica, both also called MRCs to his final Rennmax, the fire-breathing 5-litre car with the tall airboxes in which he tried to win the ASCC.

But Lionel also filled roles in the organisation of motor sport, including being at the forefront of the club trying to keep Lowood alive in the mid-sixties. He went on also to the Historic sphere with the purchase of the Mildren 'Yellow Submarine' which he restored to its 2-litre Waggott TC4V form. He gathered a number of relics from the TC4V project and in the end I believe he built up three engines.

Today, unfortunately, Lionel died at the age of 82. To his son Bruce, and other family and friends, I extend my condolences.

Advertisement

#2 lyntonh

lyntonh

• 1,656 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 06:28

Lionel breathing fire at the Farm in 1971
Posted Image

Posted Image

#3 eldougo

eldougo

• 9,352 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 07:11

Sad news about Lionel passing away he always seemed to be in the top 5 or so in most races and his distinctive White and Blue stipe Livery was one of my favourites .

Edited by eldougo, 07 May 2013 - 07:12.

#4 Andrew Fellowes

Andrew Fellowes

• 753 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 09:50

I did go to his place once and he showed me those Waggotts and the parts he had made, what a talent he had.
My condolences too.

#5 Wirra

Wirra

• 1,326 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 10:45

The MRC-Rennmax-Lotus 23 chasing a Lola at Warwick Farm in the late '60s, and

Posted Image

at Mallala last Easter driven by the present owner Stephen Fryer

Posted Image

Edited by Wirra, 07 May 2013 - 10:58.

#6 ellrosso

ellrosso

• 1,622 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 11:43

Yes RIP Lionel, a stalwart of Australian sports car racing.

Posted Image
David Keep photo/oldracephotos.com

Edited by ellrosso, 07 May 2013 - 11:45.

#7 seldo

seldo

• 2,600 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 15:28

How very sad. I had no idea Lionel was that old and when I last spoke to him at Speed on Tweed a couple of years ago he seemed hale and hearty, but how time flies.
Apart from being a very skilled engineer, Lionel was also a very keen competitor and very capable as well, and on top of it all was always very modest and happy for a chat. Whilst I cannot pretend to have known him well, he was always pleased to see me and say hello, as he was for all, and he will be sorely missed.
A true stalwart of Australian motor racing and one whose name deserves to go into the hall of fame.