* * * * - 9 votes

Lotus E21 (Part 2)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3994 replies to this topic

#751 Francesc

Francesc

• 5,025 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 17:08

According to Oskari Saari strong rumour that Grosjean will be replaced for Canada with another driver...he then asked about it from Boullier, who was looking furious and said NO! that was the end of the interview.

He crashed 4 times this weekend, not even De Cesaris crashed that many times during a Gp weekend...

Advertisement

#752 Vesuvius

Vesuvius

• 14,150 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 17:08

It's just my gut feeling. Over the full season, Lotus would have a better car for these tyres. I could be wrong. But that's my feeling. I think Ferrari is a better car. Even though Kimi lost some points to Alonso, it could have been much more points lost to Alonso. First Kimi/Lotus beat them in qualy. Then Alonso was not at his usual best in the race today and lost positions to two other cars. I wouldn't be too disheartened by 0.8 win gap to the leader so early in the season, particular if it is not down to the car's pace, but rather down to circumstances out of your control. Vettel has had everything going well for him today. His share of problems would come some time, not that I am banking on it or wish for it to happen.

Lets hope you are right. Tyres however will most likely be changed for canada even if three teams are against it, but the change will be minimal and for rear tyres only.

#753 Jake360

Jake360

• 98 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 17:09

:clap: Somehow that one point meant a lot to me. It may become crucial later.

Yup! I didn't know he was in the running for points finishes in a row. I can imagine with the new engines next season it is a record that could last a long time!

#754 Alburaq

Alburaq

• 3,317 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 17:14

A Catastrophic weekend for Grosjean... he has no excuses since the car (and his moral) have been 'repaired' in Bahrain and should work well... But I would give him a very last chance for Montreal which is a punishing track for the drivers and can be a good decisive test for him. But many of his haters and KR's groupies definitely do not deserve any chance or amnesty because of their stupidity and baseness. :lol:

Edited by Alburaq, 26 May 2013 - 17:36.

#755 Alburaq

Alburaq

• 3,317 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 17:33

Not worried about Red Bull? They are in front and last 4 years have developed their car best for the final races of the season, today we lost important points we would have get against Alonso (kimi would have been 5th and Alonso 9th), at montreal Ferrari will be strong and the track doesnt suit us as well unless we will have tyre advantage which seems unlikely. Qualifyings haven't improved at all, they have been similar level since the end of last season.

Montreal suits 'us' on the paper...

#756 Msaman

Msaman

• 119 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 17:38

Montreal suits 'us' on the paper...

yeah it does indeed but unfortunately suits Mercedes even more as the tyre wear is not great .It's a street track hence low tyre degradation and those long straights are all about engine power.
So I do not think we will be that great there.If it's rear tyre limited it might help Kimi a bit and Gro had a great race there last season so fingers crossed .
If he doesnt do well I hope to see our 3rd driver for GB and onwards :)

#757 Jimisgod

Jimisgod

• 4,954 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 17:40

According to Oskari Saari strong rumour that Grosjean will be replaced for Canada with another driver...he then asked about it from Boullier, who was looking furious and said NO! that was the end of the interview.

Sato. Even Takuma has learned from his crashes.

#758 Alburaq

Alburaq

• 3,317 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 17:43

yeah it does indeed but unfortunately suits Mercedes even more as the tyre wear is not great .It's a street track hence low tyre degradation and those long straights are all about engine power.
So I do not think we will be that great there.If it's rear tyre limited it might help Kimi a bit and Gro had a great race there last season so fingers crossed .
If he doesnt do well I hope to see our 3rd driver for GB and onwards :)

Yeah but wing-generated downforce levels are set to minimum there and it doesnt help the tires... Engine power is not that important there if you have good motricity and stability under braking and that's what the E21 seems to have.

#759 dtc

dtc

• 87 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 17:47

I know this is not going to happen, but Heikki is available. Put him in the 2nd car. He won't shine, but he'll bring in the points Lotus needs.

Advertisement

#760 nectar

nectar

• 97 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 17:48

Personally I feel young drivers like R.Grosjean and S.Perez etc. could be arrogant and buoyant of false confidence that has no real basis. Having said that, call it ill fate or else, they are in this position. They manage things in their own ways, though not pretty to watch for some like myself.
Like red bull don't want their drivers' row to hurt their title chances, Lotus fans also don't want Romain's incidents this week to bring negative emotions in result dampening team's chance in WCC. Some extra funding never hurts. So Lotus rightly should stick with Romain who they chose last winter and carry on. Romain being Romain, something may have to be seriously wrong for him to be a world champion but I see him capable of bringing in points as long as he calms down.

#761 F.M.

F.M.

• 5,577 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 17:54

Adam Cooper @adamcooperf1
#F1 Kimi Raikkonen has received a reprimand for being 2secs below the minimum time when following the safety car

Is this Kimi getting within 1 reprimand of a race ban? :/
Edit: just remember he got the grid penalty last time to avoid handing a early reprimand....

Edited by F.M., 26 May 2013 - 17:54.

#762 SpaMaster

SpaMaster

• 5,856 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 17:57

There is no reason to ask for Grosjean to be replaced. It is just one weekend and it is Monaco - a very difficult track even under normal circumstance. You crash once and things become difficult, it can start to play in your head. Rhythm is very important here. That's why the drivers that are good here don't push the limit through-out the weekend. They save it for qualy and some instances in race. It is very unlikely for this to repeat in other tracks.

#763 Jimisgod

Jimisgod

• 4,954 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 18:01

Well he already ruined his weekend in Canada thanks to this race, so it's 2 weekends.

The guy literally hasn't changed from last year. He can get kind of close to Kimi about 20% of the time. The rest of the time he is slow or he crashes. Kimi is just too good a driver and Romain is too mentally weak to ever by a #1 driver of a team.

I'd be out shopping for a new driver for 2014 and trying my hardest to keep Kimi.

#764 2ms

2ms

• 2,212 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 18:02

I don't care to say whether or not Lotus should replace Grosjean. I do wonder if they would have the ability to extract Bianchi from Marussia if they wanted to though. I wonder, of course, because they seem to be a French team and that they strongly want to have a French driver.

#765 F.M.

F.M.

• 5,577 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 18:04

I don't care to say whether or not Lotus should replace Grosjean. I do wonder if they would have the ability to extract Bianchi from Marussia if they wanted to though. I wonder, of course, because they seem to be a French team and that they strongly want to have a French driver.

For some reason I think Hulkenberg would be a good teammate for Kimi.

Grosjean was a deep dissappointment this weekend, although he showed incredible speed.

#766 Yoshi

Yoshi

• 3,360 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 18:07

Coulthard said during commentary that Grosjean is on a rolling 3 race contract and after the third race his performance is evaluated, with Monaco being the last race before the next evaluation

#767 Gasp

Gasp

• 127 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 18:10

Crashjean accuses Ricciardo breaking too early, the crash. Ricciardo blames Gro. Hoping we see some magic at Montreal, Gro takes pole position. 10places drop back is very bad. I think Ferrari and Mercedes go away at team points @ Montreal. :( It doesn`t look good for us. But Kimi will take good points there, thats sure.

Bring the double/triple ddrs fast!

Edited by Gasp, 26 May 2013 - 18:11.

#768 Msaman

Msaman

• 119 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 18:16

Crashjean accuses Ricciardo breaking too early, the crash. Ricciardo blames Gro. Hoping we see some magic at Montreal, Gro takes pole position. 10places drop back is very bad. I think Ferrari and Mercedes go away at team points @ Montreal. :( It doesn`t look good for us. But Kimi will take good points there, thats sure.

Bring the double/triple ddrs fast!

yeah
what happened with that passive DRS
We heard them quite few months ago that it will be ready for the summer races or I am making a mistake ?

#769 wrcva

wrcva

• 1,254 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 18:22

what happened with that passive DRS

they probably ran out of $ fixing Gro's cars...

#770 Jovanotti

Jovanotti

• 8,255 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 18:23

Montreal would be perfect for the device, that's for sure...

#771 Trust

Trust

• 5,155 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 18:23

It's crucial for championship to get the device working ASAP.

#772 Msaman

Msaman

• 119 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 18:24

they probably ran out of $ fixing Gro's cars...

hahahaah
That's almost 99.99% sure
I am so dumb couldnt figure this out : DDD

#773 Skinnyguy

Skinnyguy

• 4,391 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 18:25

Yes. Turn 5 is doable even with reduced rear downforce so there´s no fast corner limiting it´s use too badly. No matter how imprecise and variable the switch-on speed is, it can still be used for good advanatge.

But I´ve lost any hope on it working.

#774 intelligentsia

intelligentsia

• 2,407 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 18:26

It's just my gut feeling. Over the full season, Lotus would have a better car for these tyres. I could be wrong. But that's my feeling. I think Ferrari is a better car. Even though Kimi lost some points to Alonso, it could have been much more points lost to Alonso. First Kimi/Lotus beat them in qualy. Then Alonso was not at his usual best in the race today and lost positions to two other cars. I wouldn't be too disheartened by 0.8 win gap to the leader so early in the season, particular if it is not down to the car's pace, but rather down to circumstances out of your control. Vettel has had everything going well for him today. His share of problems would come some time, not that I am banking on it or wish for it to happen.

People thought exactly the same thing last year, and in the Red Bull prevailed. And they are currently leading the WDC.

#775 SpaMaster

SpaMaster

• 5,856 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 18:32

People thought exactly the same thing last year, and in the Red Bull prevailed. And they are currently leading the WDC.

Who thought what? Red Bull was not leading last year and nobody had any idea who would end up with what. Alonso was leading massively, but that was down to some unusual races, excellent driving and Mclaren shooting itself in its foot. There is no similarity between last year and this year. If you are going by 'Oh they won the past three championships and they would win this year's', that is too good a logic to debate on..

#776 Jovanotti

Jovanotti

• 8,255 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 18:41

But I´ve lost any hope on it working.

Yeah, me too...

#777 Kyo

Kyo

• 1,313 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 20:18

Do Lotus send the repair bill to Total? 4 big crashes in the same weekend, it must be a new record. :p

Now being serious, how much is the repair of these cars? Obviously it depends on how much damage it got, but I would love to have an idea of how much it costs each part of these cars.

#778 Shiroo

Shiroo

• 4,012 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 20:24

I still believe that soon Lopez will be mega pissed off. Lotus doesnt bring any pts at all compared to Kimi. One good weekend in contender car? seriously? Di Resta has more pts than him. And even both Mercedes, eventho they had plenty of problems and their race pace was horrible. He might be the reason why Lotus won't end as 3rd team.

Imagine HOW MUCH OF FAIL it would be if Lotus wouldnt finish as 3rd team. Oh jesus.

#779 Zesus

Zesus

• 958 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 20:27

I still believe that soon Lopez will be mega pissed off. Lotus doesnt bring any pts at all compared to Kimi. One good weekend in contender car? seriously? Di Resta has more pts than him. And even both Mercedes, eventho they had plenty of problems and their race pace was horrible. He might be the reason why Lotus won't end as 3rd team.

Imagine HOW MUCH OF FAIL it would be if Lotus wouldnt finish as 3rd team. Oh jesus.

Yeah, luckily, season is long. Plenty can chance until the end, I'm just worried about Grosjean..I don't know what's up with him. :| Lotus needs his performance, but nothing is happening - at this point it won't be a surprise if they are looking for his replacement.

Advertisement

#780 SpaMaster

SpaMaster

• 5,856 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 21:47

I hope Kimi raises the Perez issue in the next drivers' briefing and I am sure there would be lot of other experienced drivers getting behind him. Four contentious moves by Perez today - two were illegal from his part (one over Button and one over Kimi earlier that forced them both off the track), one got punishment for Alonso and the last one ended his race and made Kimi lose 9 pts. If Grosjean was the Ugly of the weekend, Perez was the Bad of the race.

#781 ph7

ph7

• 24 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 21:56

Kimi gets to keep a point, hopefully it is as important point as monaco 2007 turned out to be.

Comment of the day! :up:

Feel sorry for Romain, but 4 crashes on a race weekend is far too much (even for the greatest drivers who have kissed Monaco's walls ;) ).
Lotus is in a big dilema now. They made a mistake keeping him for this year and in only six races in, they're paying the price (and most likely his next race won't bring any significant point amount).
Mercedes can only get better from now on, so 3rd place in WCC is likely a dream rather than a realistic target.

#782 Desdirodeabike

Desdirodeabike

• 1,953 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 21:57

Do Lotus send the repair bill to Total? 4 big crashes in the same weekend, it must be a new record. :p

Now being serious, how much is the repair of these cars? Obviously it depends on how much damage it got, but I would love to have an idea of how much it costs each part of these cars.

From what I have heard that different F1 parts costs from time to time, you can compare it with you crashing into someone in an intersection. Then multiply the repair bill with 100. And you are getting close to what some of these bodyparts cost alone. So 4 crashes do take a toll on the budget of a team like Lotus for sure.

#783 Wander

Wander

• 2,367 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 22:02

The only positive to take from this weekend is that Kimi (barely) still managed to keep his record-breaking points streak going. Need much, much more from Canada.

#784 Shiroo

Shiroo

• 4,012 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 22:10

The only positive to take from this weekend is that Kimi (barely) still managed to keep his record-breaking points streak going. Need much, much more from Canada.

I hope for Vettel DNF and Raikkonen podium

#785 Niceone

Niceone

• 1,387 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 23:08

Just gonna leave this here:

#786 Skinnyguy

Skinnyguy

• 4,391 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 23:13

:lol: Thanks to you I found this one:

http://www.youtube.c...k_odmcdEM3TM3t_

Just when I thought "he has ran out of options, rest of the video will suck and be repetitive", the Canada start came :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Webber has to try that one day!

#787 swerved

swerved

• 3,895 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 23:28

Just gonna leave this here:

That guys voice grates, annoyingly so.

#788 grunge

grunge

• 5,393 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 05:23

Grosjean is becoming more and more difficult to defend now..It seems he just doesnt handle stress very well...I knew the transition from GP2 to F1 would be difficult but now that he does have some decent F1 experience under his belt,the nerves should have disappeared by now.if something goes bad,he just goes into this downward spiral,instead of rising up against it..

Id hate ,hate to see him go...Such an exciting talent...Come on Grogro!!..Frikkin believe in yourself for once.

Edited by grunge, 27 May 2013 - 05:27.

#789 Jovanotti

Jovanotti

• 8,255 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 06:49

How so? Mercedes got the bigger budget, the better driver line-up and get extra-testing during the season. Not so much of a surprise there.

Edited by Jovanotti, 27 May 2013 - 06:49.

#790 Shiroo

Shiroo

• 4,012 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 07:06

How so? Mercedes got the bigger budget, the better driver line-up and get extra-testing during the season. Not so much of a surprise there.

we have superior car, and only due to retardness of Grosjean we aren't 2nd in WCC standings.

#791 F.M.

F.M.

• 5,577 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 07:08

Yeah, the thing with streaks is they are bound to end sometime, with those chances rising the longer it goes on. So I was kind of expecting something to go wrong in Monaco and became pretty sure of it when Perez was behind Kimi. And without Bottas Kimi might not have scored yesterday. Let's hope this was supposed to be that streak-ending race and Daft Punk just helped Kimi to "get Lucky" this time! :)

#792 Vesuvius

Vesuvius

• 14,150 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 07:10

we have superior car, and only due to retardness of Grosjean we aren't 2nd in WCC standings.

Superior? Better overall package yes...for now but Mercedes has the fastest car without any doubt, if they get their tyre problems sorted, Lotus has no chance against them. Grosjean has lost many important points indeed and Kimi has lost few as well not fault of his own.

#793 Radion

Radion

• 2,524 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 07:18

Well, it's still possible to finish ahead of merc. It's not a given, that mercedes got rid of their tyre issue. Let's wait and see how they'll handle their tyres in canada...

Edited by Radion, 27 May 2013 - 07:19.

#794 K-One

K-One

• 6,248 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 07:21

not a very good year for Lotus

http://www.telegraph...ts-biggest.html

#795 Vesuvius

Vesuvius

• 14,150 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 07:23

Well, it's still possible to finish ahead of merc. It's not a given, that mercedes got rid of their tyre issue. Let's wait and see how they'll handle their tyres in canada...

Nobody said they are done with tyre issues but they maybe will in the future. Monaco was known to be easy for tyres and still mercedes had to manage tyres a lot during the race. At canada rear tyres could be different but I still believe Lotus has some advantage...but if mercedes gets tyres to work in race then everyone is in trouble.

#796 Shiroo

Shiroo

• 4,012 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 07:31

Superior? Better overall package yes...for now but Mercedes has the fastest car without any doubt, if they get their tyre problems sorted, Lotus has no chance against them. Grosjean has lost many important points indeed and Kimi has lost few as well not fault of his own.

That's why Grosjean need ot be replaced. he ****in crashed 4 times his car in Monaco. That guy has no hope in current F1, he is mistake prone

#797 K-One

K-One

• 6,248 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 08:25

Raikkonen somehow managed to finish P10 after making a late stop, but his team principal Boullier was not pleased with Perez's driving.

"He tried once and if you look at the video he was attempting very, very late braking misunderstanding the braking line of Kimi. I think that was a little bit too much," Boullier told reporters.

"He nearly crashed with his team-mate in Bahrain, here there was also a little bit of action. It looks like he's trying to often to be too aggressive and attempt something which is most of the time impossible to do."

Quite funny last sentence from Boullier, considering how his own driver is driving.

#798 10e10

10e10

• 950 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 11:21

Raikkonen somehow managed to finish P10 after making a late stop, but his team principal Boullier was not pleased with Perez's driving.

"He tried once and if you look at the video he was attempting very, very late braking misunderstanding the braking line of Kimi. I think that was a little bit too much," Boullier told reporters.

"He nearly crashed with his team-mate in Bahrain, here there was also a little bit of action. It looks like he's trying to often to be too aggressive and attempt something which is most of the time impossible to do."

Quite funny last sentence from Boullier, considering how his own driver is driving.

My thoughts exactly! I'm not defending Perez actions, but Boullier needs to look at his camp before looking at the neighbour's, I mean, Grosjean crashed 4 times during the weekend, and he complains about Perez driving?

#799 Raikkonen94

Raikkonen94

• 1,008 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 11:29

My thoughts exactly! I'm not defending Perez actions, but Boullier needs to look at his camp before looking at the neighbour's, I mean, Grosjean crashed 4 times during the weekend, and he complains about Perez driving?

You can only have complaints about Perez' driving, after what he did with Kimi in Monaco and in Bahrain I believe with Alonso. But indeed, I still think it's a bit odd that he is Grosjean's boss and his manager at the same time.

Advertisement

#800 Oho

Oho

• 11,838 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 11:34

So you take it Boullier has not been looking with considerable disdain at Grosjean over the Monaco weekend?

Just because Grosjean got F1 confused with bowling does not mean Boullier should not be allowed to voice his displeasure at other teams driver attempting a quantum mechanical miracle of driving his car through a rival to have a hope in hell of making a tight corner.

Edited by Oho, 27 May 2013 - 11:34.