Charges pressed against Bernie Ecclestone [merged]

• Please log in to reply
867 replies to this topic

#1 Sin

Sin

• 2,042 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 07:07

http://www.sueddeuts...hoben-1.1672763

"Die Münchner Staatsanwaltschaft hat nach Informationen der Süddeutschen Zeitung (Mittwochausgabe) beim Landgericht München Anklage gegen Formel-1-Chef Bernie Ecclestone erhoben. Die Ermittler lasten dem Briten zwei Delikte an: Bestechung eines Amtsträgers in einem besonders schweren Fall und Anstiftung zur Untreue, auch hier in einem besonders schweren Fall. Die Schmiergeldvorwürfe könnten Ecclestone seinen Job als Formel-1-Chef kosten. Einflussreiche Leute in der Rennszene arbeiten darauf hin, dass der Brite sein Amt ruhen lässt."

Munichs crown prosecuters accounting to informations of the Süddeutsche Zeitung (wednesday issue) pressed charges against Formula 1 Boss Bernie Ecclesstone at the Landgericht München. The investigator blame him in 2 delicts: bribery of an officeholder in an especially serious case and instigation to Unloyalty, also in an especially serious case. The bribeing accusations could cost Ecclestone his job as Formula 1 boss. Influential people of the racing scene are working towards the brit letting rest his office."

(this was hard to translate I hope it makes sense if someone can do it better than me please go on)

Sin, you should have perhaps add that court now has to decide whether they will hear the case at all. If they do, case would go to court this year.

Edited by Sin, 06 August 2014 - 16:30.

Advertisement

#2 Jimisgod

Jimisgod

• 4,954 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 07:09

Bye bye German GP? :lol:

#3 Diablobb81

Diablobb81

• 8,719 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 07:16

No Bernie (with all his faults), IPO, increasing costs. Meh

#4 Sin

Sin

• 2,042 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 07:45

I wonder what impact on the prizes and well just everything it would have if Bernie really DOES need to rest his... F1 related things

#5 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 07:54

Sin, you should have perhaps add that court now has to decide whether they will hear the case at all. If they do, case would go to court this year.

Edited by Sakae, 15 May 2013 - 07:54.

#6 Sin

Sin

• 2,042 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 07:58

they have to? well ;) I will just quote your post in the first post then :)

#7 bourbon

bourbon

• 7,265 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 07:59

It was a very good translation. The charge "instigation to Unloyalty" I think is "aiding/abetting breach of fiduciary duty".

Bad Bernie. :D

Edited by bourbon, 15 May 2013 - 08:00.

#8 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 08:03

they have to? well ;) I will just quote your post in the first post then :)

Oh ok... :blush:

#9 undersquare

undersquare

• 18,929 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 08:06

I'd love it if Bernie finally received a little bit of justice. The world and F1 will be a slightly better place if there's a limit somewhere on the rewards of being greedy and dishonest. I suppose prison is too much to hope for, but anything will be an improvement.

#10 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 24,465 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 08:10

Bye bye German GP? :lol:

I think if he is charged, he'll be made to step down.

So more like bye-bye Bernie.

#11 Lazy

Lazy

• 6,708 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 08:13

I'd love it if Bernie finally received a little bit of justice. The world and F1 will be a slightly better place if there's a limit somewhere on the rewards of being greedy and dishonest. I suppose prison is too much to hope for, but anything will be an improvement.

:up:

Shame they can't get rid of CVC as well.

#12 Raelene

Raelene

• 5,342 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 08:17

I love Bernie

Would hate to think where F1 would be today without it...as I'm sure many of the teams (and team owners) do..

#13 Sin

Sin

• 2,042 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 08:20

I love Bernie

Would hate to think where F1 would be today without it...as I'm sure many of the teams (and team owners) do..

yeah I dont think the court will care about any of that tho if they invite him and in the end maybe sentence him

#14 klyster

klyster

• 5,738 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 08:23

Would he have to appear in a German court?

#15 drunkenmaster

drunkenmaster

• 325 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 08:28

Munichs crown prosecuters

Munich still has a crown? I didn't know that... Or are you a die-hard monarchist? ;)

#16 Sin

Sin

• 2,042 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 08:30

Munich still has a crown? I didn't know that... Or are you a die-hard monarchist?;)

I am german I used a vocabulary page to translate Staatsanwaltschaft.... like I said you can translate it better please go on

but since you already ask I wished we had cool royals like the brits :o

Edited by Sin, 15 May 2013 - 08:32.

#17 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 08:38

I wonder what will happen now to IPO planned time-line. Postponement second time? That might not be reassuring fro potential investors, or is it?

#18 Diderlo

Diderlo

• 170 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 08:51

Yep, I'm sure he can't continue in his job if he is charged. It would be very interesting to see what would change if that happens.

#19 IPBushy

IPBushy

• 51 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 08:51

The words Home, Roost and Birds spring to mind!!!!!

Advertisement

#20 Raelene

Raelene

• 5,342 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 09:43

yeah I dont think the court will care about any of that tho if they invite him and in the end maybe sentence him

Neither do I - I was just giving my opinion on Bernie

#21 swerved

swerved

• 3,895 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 11:12

He has been charged apparently.

http://www.yallaf1.c.....8YallaF1.com)

#22 smitten

smitten

• 4,982 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 11:19

but since you already ask I wished we had cool royals like the brits :o

Most of them are yours anyway :wave:

#23 noikeee

noikeee

• 23,156 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 11:29

Think this will finally bring him down, much like the sex scandal did it for Mosley.

I kinda feel bad for him, because despite exploiting every little possible cent from F1 to make himself a giant fortune, he's sort of a likeable funny bloke, I would love to have his energy, smarts and wit at that age. Also, he may have been at the right place at the right time, yet I can't imagine F1 having grown like it did under anyone else - a fantastic achievement during a fantastically long term in charge. But come on, you just cannot go around bribing people. Whatever debatable amount of good he's done doesn't give him carte blanche for that.

#24 Sin

Sin

• 2,042 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 11:36

He has been charged apparently.

http://www.yallaf1.c.....8YallaF1.com)

yes as I said in first post

#25 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,619 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 11:43

I love Bernie

It might have been far better if he had moved on a long time ago. He likes to portray an image that he is vital to F1 and things can't possibly work without him. He did a lot of good things to raise F1's profile in the early days, but IMHO he has been operating to the detriment of F1 for a long time. It was the same with MM.

#26 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 11:54

I love Bernie

For good and bad, everyone of us are replaceable, including Ecclestone. I agree with Clatter's sentiment about his recent legacy of last decade or so.

#27 ForeverF1

ForeverF1
  • RC Forum Host

• 6,580 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 12:23

It might have been far better if he had moved on a long time ago. He likes to portray an image that he is vital to F1 and things can't possibly work without him. He did a lot of good things to raise F1's profile in the early days, but IMHO he has been operating to the detriment of F1 for a long time. It was the same with MM.

:up:
Bishop Mandell Creighton in 1887:

"Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Great men are almost always bad men."

#28 Fastcake

Fastcake

• 12,546 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 12:26

We'll see. I get the impression Bernie would of survived Watergate.

#29 BRG

BRG

• 25,883 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 12:31

Best news I have heard for years! Like all systems of justice, I imagine the German one works slowly. But it gets there in the end.

Hopefully, this will open a lot of floodgates and more of this wretched little man's crimes and misdemeanours will now come out.

#30 pdac

pdac

• 17,074 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 13:20

I doubt this will make any difference to anything. He is extremely rich and has many 'friends'. People like that will just shrug something like this off. What will undoubtedly happen is that he will be charged, it will be years before any court procedings are scheduled, as both parties will ask for time to prepare their cases. Then there will be delays because Bernie's lawyers will state that he has important business to attend to which means that he cannot attend court as scheduled. Then there will be further delays in re-scheduling the court proceedings. Then there will be delays as technicalities are introducted. etc. etc.

I think you will find that nothing will happen for many many years. F1 will be sold off in the mean time. Bernie (well, his lawyers) will claim that his health is deteriorating and he's in no fit state to be tried and so the delays will continue.

And, until he's actually convicted, no one is going to call for his dismissal and, certainly, he's not going to leave voluntarily.

#31 BoschKurve

BoschKurve

• 1,525 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 13:26

It's already been said in the past that if he were charged, he would likely be sacked by CVC.

I don't see him surviving past 2013 in his position.

If he is sacked, it couldn't happen to a better person.

Bernie and Max did more to ruin F1 than any two people in F1's history. Balestre was a real *******, but at least F1 still looked like a sport instead of the 3 ring circus it operates as currently.

#32 wj_gibson

wj_gibson

• 3,919 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 14:25

Bizarre to think that, in late 1991, the Mosley/Ecclestone arrangement was considered a breath of fresh air to F1. The sale of the rights by Mosley to Ecclestone is perhaps the single most scandalous episode in the entire history of the sport. Were Mosley to be dragged in and face consequences too, then I wouldn't be at all sad.

Unfortunately, the succession plan appears to be for another corporate CEO type to step in and further the "razzmatazz" aspect of the sport that is already far too advanced, rather than someone from within the sport such as Ross Brawn.

#33 Alfisti

Alfisti

• 39,658 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 14:33

Ron Dennis would be ideal. Business minded but a racer too and would command respect.

#34 dau

dau

• 5,373 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 14:36

Ron Dennis would be ideal. Business minded but a racer too and would command respect.

Why not Flavio as second in command?

#35 BoschKurve

BoschKurve

• 1,525 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 14:42

Bizarre to think that, in late 1991, the Mosley/Ecclestone arrangement was considered a breath of fresh air to F1. The sale of the rights by Mosley to Ecclestone is perhaps the single most scandalous episode in the entire history of the sport. Were Mosley to be dragged in and face consequences too, then I wouldn't be at all sad.

Unfortunately, the succession plan appears to be for another corporate CEO type to step in and further the "razzmatazz" aspect of the sport that is already far too advanced, rather than someone from within the sport such as Ross Brawn.

I think the problem was no one could have foreseen the direction F1 was going to head in. Had everyone had a glimpse of the future that lay ahead, I'm not so sure that sale of the rights would have gone through in the manner it did. That was the biggest colossal fraud ever perpetrated on F1.

Why not Flavio as second in command?

I can see Flavio taking MrE's spot. The irony of a convicted fraudster replacing him is a bit much.

#36 SonJR

SonJR

• 441 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 15:04

He kinda hinted at that possibility recently.

I think Bernie leaving on short notice would be terrible for the sport though. He may claim otherwise, but I doubt there's an actual succesion plan. Dennis would be interesting, or maybe even Brawn, although Bernie apparently doesn't really like Brawn. I'm guessing it'll probably be a sort of committee mixing racers and bankers.

#37 Lyria

Lyria

• 21 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 15:23

Bernie has made some really bad mistakes whilst he's been in charge of F1, but he's done a lot of good too though. Can't say I'd be sorry to see him toddle off, surely it couldn't be any worse without him, could it?

I'll be surprised if he ends up in jail, it could happen but somehow I have a feeling he'll find a way out of it, he's a slippery little sucker for sure.

#38 kar

kar

• 10,432 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 15:27

Jean Todt

#39 ensign14

ensign14

• 61,701 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 15:29

Bizarre to think that, in late 1991, the Mosley/Ecclestone arrangement was considered a breath of fresh air to F1. The sale of the rights by Mosley to Ecclestone is perhaps the single most scandalous episode in the entire history of the sport.

Another "benefit" of the European Union. :down:

Advertisement

#40 halifaxf1fan

halifaxf1fan

• 4,846 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 15:38

Yes. He has been in power too long and things are finally catching up to him. I would expect that after he is out other similar issues will come to the forefront.

It has been a long time coming but it is for the best that the old corrupt leadership gang be finally cleaned up with Eccelstone being one of the final ones to go. Mosley, Dennis, Briatore and now Eccelstone all leaving in disgrace. Only Luca is left!

#41 wj_gibson

wj_gibson

• 3,919 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 15:39

Yes. He has been in power too long and things are finally catching up to him. I would expect that after he is out other similar issues will come to the forefront.

It has been a long time coming but it is for the best that the old corrupt leadership gang be finally cleaned up with Eccelstone being one of the final ones to go. Mosley, Dennis, Briatore and now Eccelstone all leaving in disgrace. Only Luca is left!

But what does it say about our sport that so many of its high-profile managerial figures, in their respective positions for decades on end, end up leaving in this way?

Note also that absolutely none of the F1 sites that send journalists to actual races (or their blofg counterparts) seem to be touching this story with a bargepole, as I assume they are too scared of it. Again, what does that say?

Edited by wj_gibson, 15 May 2013 - 15:42.

#42 Lazy

Lazy

• 6,708 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 15:43

I love Bernie

Very similar without the vast majority of the money disappearing off to some banker sleazebags in the virgin islands.

#43 Tonka

Tonka

• 834 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 15:53

Bernie reckons he's got nothing to worry about !

http://www.sportingl...e/669/8714361/-

#44 BoschKurve

BoschKurve

• 1,525 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 15:55

I'm curious, what are the good things Bernie has done that make people think it was worth having him?

#45 undersquare

undersquare

• 18,929 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 16:04

But what does it say about our sport that so many of its high-profile managerial figures, in their respective positions for decades on end, end up leaving in this way?

Note also that absolutely none of the F1 sites that send journalists to actual races (or their blofg counterparts) seem to be touching this story with a bargepole, as I assume they are too scared of it. Again, what does that say?

Yep it's a corrupt sport alright, and a lot of that is down to Bernie. Dennis is not corrupt of course though he could be quite piranha-like, but the cheating of the others was always part of the Ecclestone culture, right back to the Ballestre days.

Anyway it's quite obvious Bernie did the deal to sell to a lower bidder in order to take the money AND stay in charge, so I hope the case goes ahead. It's ridiculous how he was the teams' representative and just sold them, as though they were his, then did it again.

#46 undersquare

undersquare

• 18,929 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 16:13

I'm curious, what are the good things Bernie has done that make people think it was worth having him?

In the early days he did a LOT. Got the teams to negotiate as a bloc and used that power brilliantly to get universal live TV coverage and build the whole show with its glossy star-studded aura and constant controversy and interest.

But rather like Schumacher he's spoiled it, as far as my admiration goes, by not doing it honestly when he could have quite easily. Like MS he used a simplistic yardstick - money, wins, points - instead of something more meaningful. After all he can't use £2bn or whatever it is now so his metric is a bit silly, and a lot of us will celebrate his demise.

#47 Tonka

Tonka

• 834 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 16:16

He got F1 onto the telly. Before he arrived, we'd only get to see highlights of races, sometimes days after the event. Unfortunately, he got greedy and has taken the races away from the fans.

#48 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 16:18

Astute observation; I wanted to post the same that Autosport remains totally silent on this issue. (Now if this was Schumacher, or Vettel...).

#49 BoschKurve

BoschKurve

• 1,525 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 16:29

In the early days he did a LOT. Got the teams to negotiate as a bloc and used that power brilliantly to get universal live TV coverage and build the whole show with its glossy star-studded aura and constant controversy and interest.

But rather like Schumacher he's spoiled it, as far as my admiration goes, by not doing it honestly when he could have quite easily. Like MS he used a simplistic yardstick - money, wins, points - instead of something more meaningful. After all he can't use £2bn or whatever it is now so his metric is a bit silly, and a lot of us will celebrate his demise.

I do admit he had his use back in the late 1970s and early 1980s, but it's been in my estimation that he hasn't really done anything worth a damn in recent memory. That whole getting the teams to stick together has turned into a divide and conquer mentality.

#50 BoschKurve

BoschKurve

• 1,525 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 16:33

Astute observation; I wanted to post the same that Autosport remains totally silent on this issue. (Now if this was Schumacher, or Vettel...).

The F1 media never continues to disappoint when it comes to actually voicing a real criticism of anything regarding F1. I suppose we should take this time to thank them for their continued lack of objectivity on important matters.

That Autosport has not even posted a story on the main page is extremely disappointing.