Photo

Terry Sanger

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,604 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 14:48

I've just learnt via fellow TNFer Pete Stowe that Terry Sanger died yesterday. Terry was an amazing, larger than life character who was a great friend to our motor club. His racing exploits are well-known, but he was also an excellent raconteur who gave us many entertaining and hilarious talks on all aspects of his motoring life. We shall miss him greatly. Sincere condolences to all his family and friends.

Advertisement

#2 backfire

backfire

• 118 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 16:16

Yes a great character - last spoke to him at his local circuit Castle Combe, where he worked as an instructor for many years after retiring from racing. Memories included seeing him trying his Lola T300 tub for size in his workshop - it was a very tight fit! Sad loss.

#3 sterling49

sterling49

• 10,917 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 16:37

A sad day, Terry often made the trip up to Brands, so I saw him race often in his fearful devices, real muscle cars.

#4 pete53

pete53

• 725 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 18:05

Yes, sad news. I will always associate him with the ex-Drury V8 monster of a Cortina which he drove so well, and successfully, during the 1967 season.

#5 ron54

ron54

• 86 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 18:12

Oh dear,another one of the" olduns" gone.
Terry kept us entertained in one way or another for years, from his experiences with the downed Brittannia on the Severn mudflats
all through his 2 and 4 wheeled racing days and latterly trips in his 3 wheeled Scammell.
He was a mine of knowledge and experience all of it earned the hard way and always had a good story to pass on, who cares if
it was embellished a bit in the telling, it brought a smile to your face which is a lovely way to be remembered I recken.

R.I.P. TERRY

#6 Nick Savage

Nick Savage

• 157 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 20:26

Sometime in the early 1990s, Terry was a track tutor at a Castle Combe track day. A delightful man, a good teacher and a great guide to improving lap times at Combe. Along with similar tuition from Gerry Marshall at Silverstone, one of my cherished early memories as a racing novice - both of them smooth as cream on the track in comparison to my uncoordinated fumblings in a race car.
Terry Sanger, you are going to be missed.
Nick

#7 dolomite

dolomite

• 1,183 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 20:28

Sad to hear that. I met him about 10 years ago and enjoyed being regaled with many entertaining stories. RIP to a great character.

#8 Mallory Dan

Mallory Dan

• 3,120 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 11:31

Oh dear,another one of the" olduns" gone.
Terry kept us entertained in one way or another for years, from his experiences with the downed Brittannia on the Severn mudflats
all through his 2 and 4 wheeled racing days and latterly trips in his 3 wheeled Scammell.
He was a mine of knowledge and experience all of it earned the hard way and always had a good story to pass on, who cares if
it was embellished a bit in the telling, it brought a smile to your face which is a lovely way to be remembered I recken.

R.I.P. TERRY

How was Terry involved in the Britt crash, Ron?

#9 ron54

ron54

• 86 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 16:36

Terry served his time with The Bristol Aeroplane Company who built the "Brit" ( amongst many other types of course). 

During his employ there, this one came down onto the Severn mud flats whilst on a test flight, fortunately thanks to the skill

of the crew there were no serious injuries. 

Terry was part of the recovery & salvage team arriving on the scene early on, full of foreboding and expecting the worse,

only to find the survivors calmly sat on the riverbank enjoying a smoke,having vacated the still mostly intact aeroplane( in some

haste no doubt) and walked across the mud to safety.

#10 marclaus

marclaus

• 34 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 18:23

Very sad to hear about Terry Sanger. I met him twice, first in  may 1965 in the old paddock at the Nurburgring,  when he raced his Marcos Fastback at the  1000km race ( with Simon De Lautour) later Solitude and 500km Nurburgring .

some years ago we had a nice time with him at an Euregio Meeting, when he showed us old pictures and  told us about his racing years in the 1960ies. RIP

ls3k.jpg

#11 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,604 posts

Posted 14 June 2018 - 09:36

A biography of Terry has just been published:

- Now Published -

“And you’ll love this one...!”

The story of well-known driver Terry Sanger, his exciting
international racing career and his fascinating friends

T_Terry_Sanger_book.jpg
By Ken Davies

Foreword by ‘Autosport’s’ Marcus Pye:

“Ken Davies’ fascinating manuscript has illuminated his character and manifold
abilities, enriched my understanding of a West Country legend and left me
wishing I’d known him. Time well spent.” Marcus Pye - January 2018

Available from: Castle Combe Racing Club Website
Circuit Shop & kend@ccracingclub.co.uk

£12.00 + £3.00 P&P UK

All profits are dedicated to the Castle Combe Racing Trust for Medical and Safety Equipment at the circuit.

#12 GazChed

GazChed

• 698 posts

Posted 14 June 2018 - 10:07

Terry Sanger is also going to be remembered at this year's Castle Combe Autumn Classic as the Pre '66 Touring Car drivers will be competing for the Terry Sanger Trophy .