Photo

Let's hear it for the lefties!

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 11,549 posts

Posted 17 July 2001 - 23:08

Having neither the time nor the inclination to search back through TNF for answers to this question, I wonder if anyone can shed light on an interesting point that was raised during the Toronto Champcar Farce (sorry, race)?

When Franchitti stopped to sign an autograph on his walk back to the pits, being left-handed myself, (should there be a hyphen there?) I noticed immediately that he is too. Just as I was feeling smug, the commentators started a brief discussion about the fact that so many race drivers seem to be southpaws.

So are they? How many of them and who? Does anybody know?

Advertisement

#2 nichotj

nichotj

• 538 posts

Posted 18 July 2001 - 00:18

MS and RB both sign autographs with their right hands, but this of course does not exclude them from being left-handed or indeed ambidextrous (bring back the spell checker!)

Tim

Cymru am Byth!

#3 FLB

FLB

• 29,675 posts

Posted 18 July 2001 - 01:29

Ayrton Senna was a lefty.

#4 Leif Snellman

Leif Snellman

• 1,135 posts

Posted 18 July 2001 - 04:41

Ayrton Senna. And Elio de Angelis I think.

#5 Draco

Draco

• 1,813 posts

Posted 18 July 2001 - 10:31

Originally posted by Captain Cook
... Unless of course you were referring to the properties of the hemispheres to which the hands are connected. That is a different matter entirely! ...

That was my expectation when I read the question. Certain professions have an unusually high proportion of lefties, such as computing/IT and, apparently, astronauts. I don't know any details for racing drivers, but as a lefty myself I'd be fascinated to find out.

#6 LittleChris

LittleChris

• 3,726 posts

Posted 18 July 2001 - 11:08

As another lefty, so would I.

#7 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 11,549 posts

Posted 18 July 2001 - 18:00

It would appear that a chord has been struck.

Come on now, all you experts. How many other lefties have been top drivers?

I have this strong feeling that when S. Moss casually signed a book for me at Silverstone a couple of years back, he used his left hand. My good lady wife says that I told her so when I came home, but I don't remember!

#8 mhferrari

mhferrari

• 3,238 posts

Posted 18 July 2001 - 19:12

I'm special, I'm ambidexterous! But predominately lefty.
I never really paid attention to what drivers were lefty!

#9 Roger Clark

Roger Clark

• 7,506 posts

Posted 18 July 2001 - 22:40

It's widely known that left handed people are generally of above average intelligence (he says typing with his left hand) and have particularly strong imaginations, left handeness being linked to the right side of the brain which is responsible for creativity. This surely rules out most racing drivers.

#10 biercemountain

biercemountain

• 1,014 posts

Posted 18 July 2001 - 22:57

My guess is that a lot of racing drivers are southpaws because lefties generally have better spacial relationship comprehension which helps them judge distances and speeds better than others. When I was in art college almost half of my classmates were left handed. My guess is that the ratio of racing drivers will also be about 50/50.

BTW: I have sent an email to cart.com asking how many of the current CART drivers (as well as past greats) are left handed. Will let you know when they get back to me.

I'll bet most of the IRL drivers are right handed.:lol:

#11 ehagar

ehagar

• 7,747 posts

Posted 18 July 2001 - 23:02

Originally posted by Roger Clark
It's widely known that left handed people are generally of above average intelligence (he says typing with his left hand) and have particularly strong imaginations, left handeness being linked to the right side of the brain which is responsible for creativity. This surely rules out most racing drivers.

The majority of NHL hockey players are left handed. Is that intelligence? :p