• 826 posts

Posted 01 October 2001 - 22:43

Any news about J. F. Gonzalez? Think he is still alive.:confused:

Advertisement

#2 MPea3

MPea3

• 2,177 posts

Posted 01 October 2001 - 23:16

he is and turns 79 on friday (i think) :)

#3 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,776 posts

Posted 02 October 2001 - 11:17

He was at the British GP this year,when he was reunited with the Ferrari he used to win the same race in 1951.

#4 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,776 posts

Posted 02 October 2001 - 13:11

Found this page on a Google search - the old boy looks pretty fit to me!!

http://translate.goo...e...&as_qdr=all

#5 oldtimer

oldtimer

• 1,291 posts

Posted 02 October 2001 - 23:58

Indeed he does!

Does anyone know any details of the accident that more or less finished his career? IIRC, he sustained a back injury whilst racing in a sports car race at Lisbon in 1954.

#6 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,776 posts

Posted 03 October 2001 - 12:06

Originally posted by oldtimer
Does anyone know any details of the accident that more or less finished his career? IIRC, he sustained a back injury whilst racing in a sports car race at Lisbon in 1954.

'Fraid the memory's going OT! It was actually in practice for the 1954 TT at Dundrod - I don't have many details to hand, but he was pretty badly knocked about and sustained fairly severe arm injuries.

But he did race at Lisbon in 54 - it was the Portuguese GP, and he won!

#7 Roger Clark

Roger Clark

• 7,502 posts

Posted 03 October 2001 - 17:43

"More sombre was theaccident which removed Froilan Gonzalez temporarily fromthe Ferrari team. this happened during the first practice on Thursday evening when gonzalez arrived at Tornagrough at a cracking pace, then braked for the incredibly difficult right-hander. The Ferrari yawed from side to side, then spun, the rear end clouting the bank. Rebounding, the nose of the car then charged the bank, flinging Gonzalez out on to the road.

"For a while he lay there motionless, then slowly sat up and removed his crash helmet, shaking his head in a dazed manner. It was fortunate that his crash coincided with a quiet period in practice, and ambulance men were able to remove him to a safe spot before the next car arrived on the scene. He has shoulder injuries and leg abrasions which will keep him bound up for at least a few weeks."

#8 cabianca

cabianca

• 712 posts

Posted 06 October 2001 - 01:08

The 1954 TT at Dundrod hardly ended Gonzalez' career. He raced in Int'l events until at least 1960 and may have done local Argentine events well after that.

#9 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,776 posts

Posted 06 October 2001 - 10:53

Oldtimer - I owe you an apology: Froilan did crash at Lisbon, but it was in 1953! He fractured a vertebra and was out for three months.

And although Dundrod didn't finish his career, his international outings were very few and far between - apart from the 1956 British GP his only big races were in the Argentine. Dundrod was possibly the catalyst, but I've always thought that the death of his great friend Onofre Marimon was probably the principal reason for his retirement from full-time international racing.

#10 oldtimer

oldtimer

• 1,291 posts

Posted 06 October 2001 - 21:05

Vitesse, somewhere, a long, long time ago, in the middle 50s I guess, I seem to remember reference to Gonzales retiring because of back problems related to the Lisbon accident. Most probably in MotorSport.

#11 Felix Muelas

Felix Muelas

• 1,209 posts

Posted 06 October 2001 - 22:19

:)

And this is an excerpt from an interview that he gave a couple of weeks -well, now months- ago to Fernando Tornello (my translation, sorry for whatever mistakes in it)

Froilán Gonzalez, 50 years after the exploit
1st win for Ferrari

Froilán Gonzalez

Buenos Aires is suffering its usually very cold month of July. It's winter here. Sitting on his desk he does not look like the man that wrote one of the most important chapters in the history of Ferrari. The first victory in Formula One, so sought for, so desired and so unreachable, that 14th July 1951, a date that has remained ever since stamped in the memory of the Ferrari fans. As has been this beloved character, José Froilán Gonzalez.
Nicknamed “The Pampas Bull”, “Cabezón” (big head) o simply “Pepe”, this man answers everybody with a smile, and remembers:

“The first row of the grid in Silverstone was fabulous. I had made the pole position in practice, but by my side there were Fangio, Farina and Ascari. So we were four on the front row, three on the second row, again four on the third row and so on. So there were two Ferraris and two Alfettas fighting for the victory.”

He remembers then what had happened a few weeks before, at Reims. “We were very close to victory, but we were really unlucky. I had to handle my car to Ascari and Fangio had some problems and had to take over Fagioli's car. Juan won and I was second, sharing the points with Ascari, as those were the rules in those times. The team used to instruct you to release your car to another driver that needed the points and had had some kind of trouble with his own car. Back at Maranello I agreed with the ‘commendatore' my contract. Ferrari would pay me 50% of the starting money and 150.000 lire for the testing between races”

Froilán Gonzalez goes back to that Silverstone magical day. “On the previous days to the race, Juan and I were driving on the track. He had an Alfa that the works had lent him, and I was driving a Fiat ‘millecento', really my resources were very limited. Then Fangio came to me, and told me: “Pepe, you are going to win this race. I think it's going to be very tough for us to beat Ascari and you. In practice I got the fastest time quite soon, 1.43.4, slightly better than Juan. It was quite traditional for the “Modena” men to be fighting with the “Milano” ones! ”

“Before the race, the Marshals had warned us that they would penalize any driver who would have his car moving before the flag dropped. As we were quite worried, when the start was given, the four of us tried to avoid that, and as a result all the people on the second row simply overtook us!. I remember I got the lead on lap six or seven. My main concern was to know where Fangio was, but he duly ended up appearing in my mirrors. Farina was third until his engine died. Fangio and I had a battle, but I was quite confident, as I was aware that the Alfettas were consuming a lot of fuel so Juan would have to make a pit stop for refuelling whilst I didn't have to. After exchanging positions for a couple of laps, everybody else ended up lapped! Finally, Juan had to make his pit-stop, and I got an advantage of about 90 seconds over him. Then, with 10 or 12 laps remaining, I was told by the team to enter the pit to refuel, and after it, when I got back to the track, I still had about 50 seconds margin. From that point, I cruised to victory. A very emotional one”

The relation with Ferrari

Froilán Gonzalez has always had words of sympathy for Enzo Ferrari. “Don Enzo was a man so passionate about his cars. After my Silverstone win, I went to Maranello. ‘Il Commendatore' offered me a beautiful wrist watch. He had not been present at Silverstone that day but was over the moon. At the same time, he had feelings about having defeated the Alfettas, that they themselves had designed some years before, at Modena, with Gioachino Colombo, before the war”

On those old days the Vatican press had critizised Ferrari by saying that he was building dangerous cars : “Don Enzo felt really bad about that. He only felt relieved when, just a couple of days before dying, the Pope visited Maranello. Don Enzo was very ill at the time, and could only have a telephone conversation with him.”

Those years there were serious financial problems for a driver like Froilán Gonzalez, that before becoming a racing driver earned his living driving a lorry. “In 1951 I had no money to pay. Don Enzo owed me some money, so he told me :'I am going to get Vignale to prepare a car for you and you can take it to Argentina and race there. With that car you'll earn more money than what I owe you.” And that was exactly what happened. The car was wonderful and was a real attraction in my country. Some time later, when I felt I needed to earn more money, and Ferrari was not ready to pay it, I went to Maserati, a bit influenced by Juan. But in 1954 I came back to Ferrari.”

How it all started for “The Pampas Bull”.

“One day I parked my lorry in front of the ACA (the Automóvil Club de Argentina) and went to see a couple of European cars that had arrived to race. I told Fangio that I would love to drive one. Fangio told me that one of those, a Maserati, was for sale for 150.000 pesos. I went mad, sold everything I had and was able to obtain just 100.000 pesos. It was then when Juan was able to obtain the rest and everything started there and then.
I took the Maserati to my hometown, Arrecifes. Typically, I would drive the car on the afternoons, for practice. The police would help too, taking care of the roads, and basically everybody was lending a hand. In my first race, in Palermo, I finished fifth, and it was then that Juan invited me to go with him to Europe. I was so happy about it, felling like sitting on a cloud. We went to Achille Varzi's home, near Milan. We stayed there some time, together with the other Argentineans that were driving in the Scuderia and some other drivers. I had already sold the Maserati in Argentina, so I had recovered my money by then. I remember we went to Monte Carlo and I made the third best practice time with another Maserati, so I took the start on the first row together with the Alfettas of Fangio and Farina. After that, to earn some money, we took part in the International Temporada Argentina races, where an average of 100.000 persons would attend each race. On top of that, we went to Brazil for two races, one in Gavea, in the heart of Rio de Janeiro, and the other in Boavista, just outside the city. Juan and I won each one a race, and then we went to the first ever race to take place at the El Pinar track, in Uruguay. After we had earned some money, we went back to Europe, where I contacted Don Enzo and the story really started.”

Accidents

“I was lucky to have just a few serious accidents in my life. During the race in Monaco in 1950 I got burnt as a result of a fuel spillage that arose after the first lap pile-up, but that was not a serious accident. Then I remember one in Ireland, where I skidded over the oil left by another Maserati hitting the fence and I flew over the car. I landed with my head, and I stayed 45 minutes knocked-out. When I woke up, there were Fangio and Ascari by my side, each one holding one of my hands. The third one was my own mistake, and it happened in Lisbon. I had made the best practice time and when I was going to overtake a slower competitor, on the hill before the braking area, I touched him, and I went out down the ravine. I broke three vertebrae. Last one I remember was in the Netherlands. Whilst refueling in the pits, there was a spillage and the car caught fire. I was lucky to jump out in time, the mechanics dealt with it and I was able to drive the car to finish in third place. But the seat was still hot…”

Drivers through history

The last Grand Prix that Froilán Gonzalez raced was Argentina in 1960. He finished in 10th. Place, with a Ferrari, his beloved make and the one that he has the best remembrances of. In the conversation, we ended up talking about the other drivers. “In my time, the two outstanding ones were Fangio and Ascari. On more recent times, Senna really impressed me like no one else. In 1989 I was witnessing with Fangio the Imola race from the tower. It was raining at the start and, when the first lap was completed, here came Senna alone. We looked at each other, and said: There has been an accident; nobody else is coming!" But no, it was just Senna making a huge gap. How extraordinary ability did he have in wet conditions! A final reference for Schumacher. “He has always 4/10ths of a second hidden over the rest”.

50 years went by, but the passion for cars is still intact. Ferrari has a piece of glory for this Argentinean that gave then their first smile and that has become a loud laughter with the years that still sounds out powerful within the history of Formula 1.

FERNANDO TORNELLO
In cooperation with
Dr. Norberto Donadei

Felix

#12 Dennis David

Dennis David

• 2,482 posts

Posted 06 October 2001 - 23:38

Here is his account of his first victory for Ferrari:

More than twenty years have passed since that British Grand Prix and yet it seems to me as if it was yesterday. It needs only a casual word at a party, a friend or perhaps a journalist asking me, "How was it all in the beginning, Pepito?" for memories to flood into my mind; memories of a raw, inexperienced lad from Argentina,
Since then I have received praise and congratulations from kings, princes, and statesmen in many countries. I have forgotten many races. But always fresh in my mind is 14 July 1951.

It really began earlier when I was, for my local countrymen, still Cabezon (Big Head!) Gonzalez, a driver who was content to win on local dirt circuits, thinking of no more exalted arenas. Then Don Francisco Borgonovo, President of the Racing Board of the Argentine Automobile Club, telephoned me at the beginning of 1950, asking if I would join the team, which the Club were sending to Europe, under the leadership of my great friend and countryman, Juan Manuel Fangio. I accepted of course, but was very unlucky that year and did nothing spectacular. The Club were patient with me and selected me for 1951, however.

I was at Reims, ready to race in the 1951 Grand Prix de France in a Maserati owned by the Argentine Automobile Club, when something happened which changed my destiny. Nello Ugolini, then director of the Ferrari team, asked me if I could drive one of the team cars because their driver Dorino Serafini had been injured in the Mille Miglia. The request, I learned later, came from Don Enzo Ferrari himself. I was astonished that a "peasant" of very little experience would have attracted the notice of the great Ferrari. We all held him in awe and I can recall, even now, my stumbling excitement as I agreed. I had few illusions about my chances but from that moment I seemed to be living a dream and even when they took me to the workshop to be measured for the seat and for the pedals I still could not believe I was to be the driver of Ferrari’s mechanical jewel. I was nervous, happy and afraid at the same time, like a peasant who suddenly attains the love of a princess.

The dream was to be very brief. I was utterly determined to make my mark at Reims in the Grand Prix de France and after a tough battle I managed to lead the race. But when I stopped at the pits to refuel Ugolini told me to hand over my jewel to Alberto Ascari who had walked back to the Ferrari pits after his own car had broken down.

Recalling it now I suppose it was understandable. Ascari was more experienced in the Grand Prix arena than I, and since he was now available, it was obviously more sensible to let him take over. But at the time I was mystified and wounded. I assumed I had in some way failed one of Ferrari's mysterious tests. Yet nobody would tell me where I had failed.

I was just as puzzled when Enzo Ferrari sent for me. Puzzled and timid, for Ferrari was a powerful experienced man of the world while I had only recently arrived in Europe/ I had no idea how to address the "sacred monster" of the motoring world when I was led into his office. I managed to say "Good morning" in Spanish and then stood there speechless, wondering why I was there and what to do next. Don Enzo, realizing my embarrassment, helped me out by smiling and shaking my hand. And to my utter amazement he - the greatest figure in world motor racing - actually congratulated me for what I had done at Reims. I was even more astounded when he suddenly asked me: "Would you like to sign a contract to drive for the Ferrari team?" I can feel even now the almost painful thumping of my heart. This just isn't true, I told myself.

Plainly Ferrari was aware that he had confused me for he continued by saying that the terms of my contract would be the same as those for Villoresi and Ascari, his official drivers. But this did not matter to me. I was hardly listening to the details. I think I was already holding a pen - ready to sign anything. I only wanted to race, to become part of the powerful Italian team, which seemed to me like attaining the highest rung of the ladder. After a very short career in motor racing I had attained the equivalent of singing at La Scala, Milan.

Ferrari had the gift of instilling confidence in its drivers. Although I was still very inexperienced I arrived at Silverstone for the 1951 British Grand Prix feeling that I really belonged in the Scuderia Ferrari, feeling eager also to pit my car's power against the almost unbeatable Alfa Romeos - and my own skill against the world's greatest racing drivers. Silverstone was the meeting place for international statesmen, industrialists, and millionaires, all looking for excitement.

During practice I had broken Farina's lap record so I shared pride of place on the front row of the starting grid beside Fangio and Farina in Alfa Romeos and Ascari, my team-mate in a Ferrari. I felt very much that we were in the public eye - just as I had in Reims - but this time I knew that nobody would take my car away from me.

The "jewel" was at the starting grid while I kept pacing back and forth under tremendous nervous tension. I wandered aimlessly in a daze while a handful of my countrymen - just a few of my own people in this crowded and very foreign arena - were talking to me, trying to calm me. I could not listen to them. My mind would not concentrate on anything but the race. It was my obsession. I even carried on a conversation with myself: "Pepito! You, a peasant, have entered a high society party." I tried to relieve tension by asking myself: "Pepito! What are you doing among so many Field Marshals? What will they all say in Argentina, in Arrecifes; what will your parents think?" And finally, when these questions did nothing to calm my nerves, I muttered aloud in a panic: "Pepito! How will you get out of this!"

It was the strident note of the horn announcing 5 minutes to race time which brought me abruptly to my senses. I had to rush to the toilet! And each time that devilish horn sounded again it increased my tension and anxiety. But at last we were in our cars. I stared at the starter, very careful not to move my car a fraction of an inch forward, since an early start meant a one-minute penalty. All the engines were revving impatiently while the crowd stood motionless watching us all on the grid. To me the grid was Hades and the engines were instruments in a hellish concert. My heart felt as if it would burst. Breathing was difficult. Then, just before I felt I must pass out, the starter's flag came down. We were away. And what a start it was. The four of us in the front row, trying to lead the pack, accelerated so suddenly that our wheels spun while the cars moved forward in slow motion, leaving behind a cloud of rubber smoke through which the other cars roared, overtaking us like arrows! When our tyres got a grip on the track we found that instead of being pursued we were pursuing, trying desperately to find a gap in the crush of vehicles to catch up the leaders who were of course, increasing their speed.

As we passed the pits for the first time I noticed that both the Alfa and Ferrari team managers were signaling the same instructions, which were in effect that we should drive our own race. The alarming start meant that team tactics must be abandoned. "Go for the lead," came the urgent message and soon as I saw that I went flat-out. By the next lap I was leading.

I could not hear them but I had the feeling that the British crowd had forgotten their usual restraint. They were jumping and waving and, it seemed to me, yelling like mad. "Pepito. You are ahead of the Field Marshals," I thought, and kept my foot hard down on the accelerator pedal. Then suddenly my rear-view mirror showed a red car, growing bigger and bigger. A signal from my pit as I shot past told me it was Fangio's Alfa Romeo. "Pepito. Don't do anything foolish. Don't panic. Even Fangio will have to do a re-fuel."

When Fangio caught me in the 10th lap I let him overtake, placing myself directly on his tail. We traveled in tandem, our two cars seeming to be roped together. Even when he increased speed we remained like this, driving like men pursued by the Devil himself. There was a moment of danger around the 25th lap when I took Becketts Corner too fast and hit the straw bales. But this made me keener than ever and I set off again after Fangio. I began to close on him, having been perhaps 5 or 6 seconds behind him with both of us averaging about 97 mph until, on the 39th lap, I eventually took him. Towards the end of the race I was more than a minute ahead of him. I knew that he could not possibly make up 10 seconds per lap, although I thought he was trying. I even looked over my shoulder as I eased up a little. Within a few laps after that I saw the checquered flag waving for me. I had won my first Grand Prix.

I drove the winner's lap and then, nearing my pit, I saw my mechanics jumping, waving their arms. The spectators were standing. When I stopped I was lifted bodily from the car. My wife, Amalia, hugged me and then friends rushed forward to embrace me: Corner, Fernando, Guzzi, the Argentine Ambassador Hogan; all their faces were blurred as they surrounded me, encircling me in such a strong embrace that I still feel their warmth and the moisture of their tears mingling with mine. All around us was confusion and excitement. "The Alfa Romeos are beaten", the mechanics were shouting as they handed me a drink and solicitously cleaned my face.

After a few minutes they led me forward, a compact little group, to the presence of the Queen of England who congratulated me. I was crowned myself - with a wreath of laurels. From all sides I heard cries I did not understand. I saw hands trying to reach me and heard words in many languages, but none in my own tongue. It was strange music, but very pleasing to my spirit.

Then I was carried to the winner's podium. All became quiet. People were still as they faced towards me. The deep silence was broken by the first chords of the Argentine National Anthem. It was the first time that I had been the centre of such a touching ceremony; and I started crying when I saw my country's flag being hoisted to the top of the winner's standard.

I was young, a country boy. And now more than twenty years have gone by. But still I remember July 1951 and often find myself again in that turmoil of hands, voices, and cries which, if I close my eyes, I can still see and hear around me ...

#13 oldtimer

oldtimer

• 1,291 posts

Posted 07 October 2001 - 17:55

Thank you David!

Before leaving the Silverstone 1951 scene, a favourite photo of mine is in DSJ's The Racing Driver, showing the Pampas Bull throwing the Ferrari into a lovely drift.

But what about the 1954 win, when he ran away from Fangio et al? I seem to remember MotorSport reporting a 'new', smooth Gonzales after his win earlier in the year at a wet International Trophy.

Prior to the smooth Gonzales, his heavy right foot was amongst the first to conquer the V16 BRM, and the strong arms the awful wheel flap.

I also remember seeing footage of him urging his 1953 F2 Maserati to greater things by beating on the scuttle with his fist!

Fascinating to see how deep an impression Jose left after such a short career, and how we remember him with such affection.

#14 raceannouncer2003

raceannouncer2003

• 2,944 posts

Posted 05 October 2007 - 15:14

He turns 85 today (Friday). I was SO excited to see him at Monterey in 1991 and again in 1994. How is he doing? Is there any way of contacting him? Perhaps someone can pass on our regards.

Vince Howlett, Victoria, B.C., Canada

#15 llmaurice

llmaurice

• 431 posts

Posted 05 October 2007 - 15:34

My lasting memory of him was a Buenos Aires in 1960 GP when the circuit exited a left hander ,and the pits on the right hand side . he almost climbed on the pit counter displaying his right armpit !

#16 flat-16

flat-16

• 478 posts

Posted 06 October 2007 - 11:55

There's a charming photo of the Bull with a couple of his comrades at This Link Tells you all you need to know about the spirit of the era.

Justin

#17 Scuderia SSS

Scuderia SSS

• 251 posts

Posted 06 October 2007 - 22:02

I met Gonzalez at the Ferrari 50th Celebration at Silverstone a few years back.
One of my most memorable moments. He signed a few items for me, even though he had been feeling unwell that weekend, but kept a smiling face throughout.

#18 Pablo Vignone

Pablo Vignone

• 309 posts

Posted 08 October 2007 - 03:20

Froilán is well and alive. A real Pampas Bull indeed. He spends all the mornings in his office in Buenos Aires downtown, and you can come and see him, he will be delighted.
He has a picture of him with Michael Schumacher, and a anecdote printed in that.
When he met Schumi in 2001, 50 years after his win at Silverstone, the german told him:
-I wouldn't have raced in cars like yours...
And Froilan reacted.
-I wouldn't too in your car: I'm afraid I do not know nothing about computers...

#19 380W

380W

• 67 posts

Posted 08 October 2007 - 22:16

I heard him two weeks ago in a radio interview, and his mind it´s fine, God bless him for many years more.......

Advertisement

#20 Alan Lewis

Alan Lewis

• 1,033 posts

Posted 13 October 2007 - 17:09

Now that Hans Ruesch and Baron de Graffenreid have gone, he would be the earliest surviving winner of a Grand Prix (Championship or otherwise!), I believe?

Or is my forty three year old brain forgetting something his eighty five year old one probably wouldn't?

APL