Photo

Are Audi/VW going to Jordan?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 boru

boru

• 772 posts

Posted 09 May 2000 - 18:47

If Jordan are to make a push to the top they definitely need a manufacturer on board. It is rumoured that Audi/VW are going to F1, as their guys were present at barcelona this weekend, and they are also planning an assault on the Le Mans before entering as did Toyota et al.

On top of this, EJ was hinting at something big happening this weekend in an interview with RTE. It would make sense.

Advertisement

#2 Cosworth_Power

Cosworth_Power

• 82 posts

Posted 09 May 2000 - 18:59

If it is true, what would they call the engine?

Skoda?
Seat?
Audi?
Beatle (VW)?
Lamborghini?
Bently?
Bugatti?

/r

------------------
------------------------
Remember, a good looser is still a looser.

#3 boru

boru

• 772 posts

Posted 09 May 2000 - 07:40

Audi. Possibly Lamborghini or Bugatti but I doubt it. Definitely not Skoda.

#4 Zoe

Zoe

• 7,721 posts

Posted 09 May 2000 - 07:55

All I've seen so far from the Volkswagen corner is just announcements. What I've seen with the "W12", this was truly pathetic.

Personally I doubt that they'll really get out the money to enter F1, after Audi is doing pretty well in sportscars.

As for entering F1 as early as next year, this would be far too early, do they already have an engine running on the dyno?

Zoe

------------------
One of the important freedoms is the freedoms to continue to be unpopular (B. Mawhinney)

#5 f li

f li

• 299 posts

Posted 10 May 2000 - 08:21

If you really need to unleash the big "guns", Skoda will do just fine. (Maybe you had better check with D. Capps!)

#6 Nathan

Nathan

• 7,095 posts

Posted 10 May 2000 - 13:47

YES, YES, YES

Where else will they go? The only other possibilty is Sauber, as Sauber has courted Porsche for a long time. However, I dont think Audi (who owns Porsche right?) would go there. They cant do jack with a Ferrari engine, were as Jordan can do something with a engine that is heavier and less powerful than a year old Ferrari mill. Simply they would be a fool not to go with Jordan. Minardi would be cool. Posted Image

Sorry I guess Volswagen who owns Audi, owns Porsche

[This message has been edited by Nathan (edited 05-10-2000).]

#7 Zoe

Zoe

• 7,721 posts

Posted 10 May 2000 - 15:40

Porsche is not owned by anyone of the big players, it is still a privately owned company.

Volkswagen owns the brands "Volkswagen (VW)", "Audi", "Seat", "Skoda", "Lamborghini", "Bugatti", and in some sort they own Rolls-Royce, albeit apparently not the name yet (still belonging to BMW).

VW, Audi, Seat and Skoda use the same platform for their individual cars, so basically these are pretty much the same. I'm still laughing over people getting themselves an Audi A3 because they think they are getting a different car than a Skoda. In the end they just end up paying 50% more for just a few different pieces of plastics and higher service cost. Same with the TT and beetle, but this is a different story....

Zoe "big blocks rule"

------------------
One of the important freedoms is the freedoms to continue to be unpopular (B. Mawhinney)

#8 Lutz

Lutz

• 146 posts

Posted 10 May 2000 - 16:05

The link between Porsche and VW, which includes Audi, as Zoe explained, are family ties. VW Chairman Ferdinand Piech is the grandson of Prof. Ferdinand Porsche, constructor of the original Volkswagen. His son Ferdinand "Ferry" Porsche, founder of the sportscar company "Porsche" was Piechs uncle.

kind regards,
Lutz